HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torts Quote: "Glue Guys"

Old
01-03-2012, 10:50 AM
Crease

vCash: 500
Torts Quote: "Glue Guys"

This was my favorite quote by Torts so far this season. After the WC last night, a reporter asked him the following:

Quote:
The first goal, obviously you needed it and you got it, but when you take a step back, how happy are you for Mike to get one for the first time since the injury?
Here was John's response:

Quote:
I am happy for him and Pruster, two guys Iím trying to find ice for. We have had some guys playing pretty well. They have been like four, five-minute guys and plus they do the heavy lifting when it comes to that kind of stuff.

I just donít want them to think thatís their only role. Thatís the big reason why we signed him, we know he can play. We know Pruster can play. Itís been a little bit of a struggle.

To see them ignite us a little bit? Not only me, but the team, I think thatís important. They are glue guys. They are very important to the team in the room, and I think everybody pulls for those type of players, because they know they are being taken care of on the ice with them, and so it was a good thing to see.
I really liked this quote. This is a close-knit group of guys. If we keep the turnover low, I think we'll be in contention for the next 3-5 years at least. Sather has done a tremendous job building out this current roster and Torts is doing an equally impressive job getting everyone to buy into his system. The hits, blocked shots, and fight totals speak for themselves.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Hensch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
This was my favorite quote by Torts so far this season. After the WC last night, a reporter asked him the following:

Here was John's response:

I really liked this quote. This is a close-knit group of guys. If we keep the turnover low, I think we'll be in contention for the next 3-5 years at least. Sather has done a tremendous job building out this current roster and Torts is doing an equally impressive job getting everyone to buy into his system. The hits, blocked shots, and fight totals speak for themselves.
Yes They Have!

Hensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:47 AM
vbman09

Couldn't agree with Torts more. You can see in 24/7 how important Rupp has been to a very young team and keeping things in order. Great addition to a young team and Good Job of Slats bringing him in.

vbman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:52 AM
Vitto79

yep things are looking great for the long term success of the team

Look at the D....Staal, Girardi, McDonaugh, Sauer, Del Zotto are all young and part of the core........Eminger, Stralman, Woywitka all UFA's but they have Erixon and McIlrath knocking at the door.

G- enough said , Hank rules........I expect Biron back for another few yrs too

C, Richards, Stepan, Boyle, all signed......4th spot could be a Mitchell or a prospect like Lindberg eventually

LW- Anisimov, Dubinsky, Hagelin, Rupp signed.....that 2nd line spot is open but who knows maybe Kreider next yr

RW- Gaborik, Callahan, fantastic..........Prust should be resigned........I expect Feds, EC, Wolski to be let go as UFA's but they can be replaced internally.

main point is this team should be together for a long time

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:51 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

It's amazing how much opinion of Sather has changed.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:43 PM
skroob**

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
As he has done less, we have done better. All he has done is "helped" sign some guys (and lets face it, The city and the team sells itself) and made some minor trades.

The drafting, which has got us to where we are today, he lets other people run.

Day-to-day stuff is in other people hands it seems.

Even public relations he stays away.

In fact, what might be the only thing that you can look at Sather and point to and say "yes, he did that" is brining in Torts.

Everything else has been a group effort.

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Calad
Section 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by skroob View Post
As he has done less, we have done better. All he has done is "helped" sign some guys (and lets face it, The city and the team sells itself) and made some minor trades.

In fact, what might be the only thing that you can look at Sather and point to and say "yes, he did that" is brining in Torts.

Calad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 300
Quote:
I agree to an extent but personally I think Torts has had a much bigger role in this team as a whole then we think.

01-03-2012, 03:08 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:

This can be said for any high-up executive. Who brought in those guys who are helping him turn the franchise around?

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 03:17 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
My opinion of him had changed post-lockout.

When he started to build the farm system from scratch. We are starting to see the fruits of dedication to building the system up.

Sure some poor free agent signings. But some good ones too.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
I agree to an extent but personally I think Torts has had a much bigger role in this team as a whole then we think.
Well of course he did. For better or worse, the organization's personnel actions under Sather will always reflect the coach's philosophy. When Renney was here, we had and created a very calm, consistent and even team and personality on the ice. Since Tortorella has arrived, the team makeup has become a more emotional and fiery one. The team reflects the coach.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 03:49 PM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Well of course he did. For better or worse, the organization's personnel actions under Sather will always reflect the coach's philosophy. When Renney was here, we had and created a very calm, consistent and even team and personality on the ice. Since Tortorella has arrived, the team makeup has become a more emotional and fiery one. The team reflects the coach.
Im sorry I didn't realize you know EVERYTHING. Your arrogance level is 10x that of any other poster here.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:10 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:

Yeah...getting rid of Gomez, getting McD and using the left over money to sign Gabby...how minor.

Or getting Brandon Prust in the deal with Calgary...small potatoes.

Or getting several big contracts off the roster in order to re-sign our key players or sign guys like Brad Richards...pssh.

Some people refuse to accept when Sather does something right lol.

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:11 PM
tjs252

Honestly, the hard cap is the best thing to happen to Sather. Pre-lockout, maybe Dubi and/or Anisimov get turned into a rent-a-sniper and maybe we top out as a conference final team and then get old fast.

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:33 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
Im sorry I didn't realize you know EVERYTHING. Your arrogance level is 10x that of any other poster here.
I'm sorry? I just don't feel it's necessary to treat basic concepts like they're profound.

Saying the coach of a team has influence on the structure of the organization is like saying the Secretary of Defense has influence on the military.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 12:09 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

glue guys need to do more than be good lockerroom guys...they need to perform on the ice. Rupp hasnt as of yet, he had 1 extremely lucky game thanks to some pretty weak goaltending on both of his goals. Prust and Fedotenko earn their keep with PK, and smart defensive play. Rupp needs to do a whole lot more.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 12:21 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Favorite quote of the season so far. Really says a lot about this "team."

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 12:27 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Time for somebody to whip up some "Glue Guy" avatars!

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 02:25 AM
chip chipperson*

tss glue guys, what are we a bunch of glue sticks or somethin? tss

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 09:35 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
glue guys need to do more than be good lockerroom guys...they need to perform on the ice. Rupp hasnt as of yet, he had 1 extremely lucky game thanks to some pretty weak goaltending on both of his goals. Prust and Fedotenko earn their keep with PK, and smart defensive play. Rupp needs to do a whole lot more.
Goals don't come with asterisks. The guy was playing with a significant knee injury at the beginning of the season. He stands up for everyone on the team and fights other heavies so players don't have to worry. He grinds, he battles, he hits, he makes life miserable for opposing teams defenses. I would say he is doing exactly what he should be doing.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 09:40 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Goals don't come with asterisks. The guy was playing with a significant knee injury at the beginning of the season. He stands up for everyone on the team and fights other heavies so players don't have to worry. He grinds, he battles, he hits, he makes life miserable for opposing teams defenses. I would say he is doing exactly what he should be doing.
Agreed 100%. It's not always about the stat chart.

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 12:28 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
I'll completely give you the second goal. "Bob" completely misplayed that one. The first one was a nice goal though. Stopable but you see those go in every night. A first or second liner gets that one and it's a "goal scorer's goal".

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote