HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Can we afford Travis Moen?

Old
01-03-2012, 03:39 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

vCash: 500
Can we afford Travis Moen?

Known goal scorer, television star and Swift Current Superman. How will we be able to stop the bidding war that will clearly take place?

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 03:40 PM
overlords
Hfboards

We may not have to, depending on how much we're offered at the deadline.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 03:46 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I have nothing against Moen, but let another team overpay for him after this anomaly of a season he's having. He's not irreplaceable.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 03:48 PM
Patty Roy

If i was Gauthier i would contact Moen and his agent and offer him another 3 years @ $1.5 per season. If he accepts great, if not then i'd move him at the deadline and ask for a 2nd in return.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 03:48 PM
Young Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
Known goal scorer, television star and Swift Current Superman. How will we be able to stop the bidding war that will clearly take place?
Can we find four lines of moen's, beat the hell out of a team of smurfs!!!

Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 03:49 PM
LyricalLyricist

Depends on his price(obviously). I like him and wish we had another guy with his skill set in bottom
6 but well see what happens as we go forward. I think we should keep him and ak and drop a smaller player via trade.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Subban76

I would not mind keeping him since we don't have too many like him and none in the AHL ready to replace him, his size and grit.

I say try to sign him before trade deadline for a similar salary that he as now (max 2M) and if he does not want to, get what you can for him, I'm sure we can get a second for him from a playoff team.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 03:55 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
If i was Gauthier i would contact Moen and his agent and offer him another 3 years @ $1.5 per season. If he accepts great, if not then i'd move him at the deadline and ask for a 2nd in return.
Yeah i can't see giving him much of a raise. He got a "UFA premium" when we signed him, probably got about 1 mil more(over 3 years) to move all the way East.

If they want 2 mil a year then you have to sell and try and replace him on the UFA market with a guy like Kelly(might cost a bit more) McClement(a center) Tootoo Moore Slater Thornton Prust Asham Glass.

A guy like him should be worth a 2nd rounder to a contender.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 03:56 PM
Capitano

I like Moen, one of the few physical guys on our team. He would be even better with a little physical support out there imo.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Coldplay
Courage

If he wants more than 1.5 and a 2-year term, let him walk.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Gally11

Every time we've let a bottom six guy go that had a good season the year previous to his UFA we've regretted it it seems in the last three or four years. Because of they are considered bottom six players we under value what they bring to the team.

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:02 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I have nothing against Moen, but let another team overpay for him after this anomaly of a season he's having. He's not irreplaceable.
Exactly, players like him will be all over the FA market in the summer, we move him and hope for a 2nd rounder in return, nothing against the guy but not worth hanging on to

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:03 PM
Habs Junkie

2 million 2 years sounds about right. People seem to forget how much we wanted a player like him for our bottom lines, and now we have him people want to get rid of him. I want Moen on my team! heck if we can get another one like him, I'm all for it!

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
2 million 2 years sounds about right. People seem to forget how much we wanted a player like him for our bottom lines, and now we have him people want to get rid of him. I want Moen on my team! heck if we can get another one like him, I'm all for it!
Players like him are all over the FA every year and they go for about that, now we have a chance to trade one for a decent pick and pick up another player like him possibly younger on FA. Why would we hang on and not take advantage of the draft pick in return?

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:11 PM
RussCourtnallsGhost

I was a huge fan of the signing when it happened, but I've been disappointed with his tenure in Montreal. He's had some good flashes while he was here, but I don't think it's a coincidence that his best play decided to show up in his contract year. If he was a European, everyone would complain how he took nights off and was too inconsistent. Let a young player take his place.

RussCourtnallsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

He's more valuable as trade deadline bait. Good player, but ultimately replaceable.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Players like him are all over the FA every year and they go for about that, now we have a chance to trade one for a decent pick and pick up another player like him possibly younger on FA. Why would we hang on and not take advantage of the draft pick in return?
It is tempting to go get that draft pick, but we really don't know what it is, or if that pick we will use will pan out in to anything. Also, I would like to know who is available come July 1st. If like you say they're will be a bunch of players like him, and we don't overpay, then yes it is not a bad idea. But if we don't have anything to replace him with, like our 4th line center position at the beginning of the season, we will be in some trouble to start the next season.
I just don't get some people around here. Moen is a great dressing room guy, plays his heart out every game and most of you want to get rid of him. Josh Gorges is the defensive equivalent to Moen, why can't he get a fraction of the respect you guys give Gorges?

Old
01-03-2012, 04:26 PM
Andy

Ideally, I would love to keep Moen. I'd only trade him for an overpayment(aka a 2nd). If not, I'd like to see him re-signed.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
It is tempting to go get that draft pick, but we really don't know what it is, or if that pick we will use will pan out in to anything. Also, I would like to know who is available come July 1st. If like you say they're will be a bunch of players like him, and we don't overpay, then yes it is not a bad idea. But if we don't have anything to replace him with, like our 4th line center position at the beginning of the season, we will be in some trouble to start the next season.
I just don't get some people around here. Moen is a great dressing room guy, plays his heart out every game and most of you want to get rid of him. Josh Gorges is the defensive equivalent to Moen, why can't he get a fraction of the respect you guys give Gorges?
Checking wingers on the UFA market are a lot cheaper than good stay at home defensemen. I don't think any guys like Moen have ever signed for 4-4.5 mil(see Komisarek Michalek Regehr Hamhuis etc).

At the end of the day PG has to figure out what price makes sense for Moen and make his camp an offer, if they can geta reasonable deal done then keep him, otherwise you put him on the block and see what offers you get.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:02 PM
PATCHESx67

2 years @ 1.5/1.7mill or get a 2nd 2012 wich he would get at trade deadline

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:06 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 364
Trade him for a 2nd then sign him in FA

donghabs98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:08 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
I agree. Lock him up like Gorges or trade him.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:09 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

2 mill at the most. However, if we're offered a 2nd, or a solid prospect I say take it.

Though, we both know we'll draft a small player and sign some over the hill soft french player to replace Moen.

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:11 PM
ChoseLa

He's the only player on the team that wouldn't get bullied by Benoit Pouliot.

ChoseLa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Checking wingers on the UFA market are a lot cheaper than good stay at home defensemen. I don't think any guys like Moen have ever signed for 4-4.5 mil(see Komisarek Michalek Regehr Hamhuis etc).

At the end of the day PG has to figure out what price makes sense for Moen and make his camp an offer, if they can geta reasonable deal done then keep him, otherwise you put him on the block and see what offers you get.
Don't get me wrong I completely agree with you, nor was I saying to give Moen 4 million a year, but I want to know who is a good comparable to Moen, a good 3rd liner and a great 4th liner, at his age his size and character, who will realistically be available come July 1st? He knows the city, knows the team and will be a great mentor to some kids coming up ie: White,Blunden, Shultz, Conboy etc. Don't underestimate what experience can bring to a team. If you can find an exact Moen type for 800k then sure go for it. I don't think it will be as easy to replace him as you think.
BTW look at our conference next year. You think letting a Moen walk would be a good idea with all the Neils and Malones of the world running around trying to kill our players?