HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torts' postgame comments may be detrimental (UPDATE: Fined $30,000)

Old
01-03-2012, 04:03 PM
McMonster

vCash: 500
Torts' postgame comments may be detrimental (UPDATE: Fined $30,000)

First, let me say that I appreciate Torts having the balls to say what everyone else is thinking. It was even more awesome because he called out the NHL on their own network on live tv. Hoewever, it may not have been the smartest thing to do. You don't want to piss off the refs in this league and now they will probably hold a grudge against the Rangers and Tortorella for the rest of the season. Discuss.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:30 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsteppp View Post
First, let me say that I appreciate Torts having the balls to say what everyone else is thinking. It was even more awesome because he called out the NHL on their own network on live tv. Hoewever, it may not have been the smartest thing to do. You don't want to piss off the refs in this league and now they will probably hold a grudge against the Rangers and Tortorella for the rest of the season. Discuss.
Not much to discuss IMO. Maybe, the refs involved wont call penalties for the Rangers, but they weren't anyway and they shouldn't be reffing more NY (or any other) games after what happened.

As for the rest of the refs, I'd have to think at least some of them privately side with Torts. Also, at the end of the day this their job and it's a well paid one. I can't see them jeopardizing their careers by not calling games correctly.

mike14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:32 PM
zestystrat

IDK...he'll get a fine no doubt, but when do we fans think our team are getting the calls the right way anyway? I don't think it will matter either way.

To be honest, if I were the NHL I'd be more worried about Carp's comment on his Ranger Report WC recap:

"Who officiated that third period, Ed Snider? No, it was Philadelphia native Ian Walsh, who grew up in the Little Flyers organization. How in Holy Hell does he get an assignment for a Rangers-Flyers game ever, never mind this one?"

A damn good question....and IMO lucky for the NHL that that fact isn't getting more play.

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:33 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

If the officials involved aren't terribly embarrassed by what they put on display, there's no hope for the league.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:33 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Everything Torts said was 100% accurate and everybody around the NHL knows it. I'm glad he said it and don't see it hurting the team.

01-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsteppp View Post
You mean they could try and screw us even more than they already tried to

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:35 PM
boyle2boyle
HFBoards Sponsor

Who cares, we beat the refs yesterday and we can beat them again. I'm sure Torts knew the potential consequences of his statement, fines included, and went through with it anyway in order to say something that needed to be said. I applaud his attitude and I don't think he should have censored a thing.

boyle2boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Dantes19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
Everything Torts said was 100% accurate and everybody around the NHL knows it. I'm glad he said it and don't see it hurting the team.

Agree completely.

Dantes19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:37 PM
broadwayblue

I don't think it will have any effect. The officiating was disgusting, plain and simple.

I asked my friend who went to the game what he thought...and he said from where he sat it was clear to him they were doing everything they could to get the game to OT. AND HE'S A DEVILS FAN!

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:38 PM
NikC

what is it with all this repercussion in the nhl? the officials are above reproach in any and all circumstances? you're not allowed to speak your mind?

What country is this?

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:40 PM
gluvhand

Have to wonder if Ron Wilson gets a "talking to" for backing up Tortorella.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Someone said I was a disgrace as a hockey fan and I have rangers blinders on for calling out the officiating in the third period, expanding on torts joke and discussing in depth the 4 controversial calls. Lol, I definitely dont have rangers blinders on, I had a bunch of isles friend fans yesterday telling me how bs it all was.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:41 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

It's not Tort's first foray into critizing the refs and it won't be his last. It'll be fine.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:42 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
what is it with all this repercussion in the nhl? the officials are above reproach in any and all circumstances? you're not allowed to speak your mind?

What country is this?
Actually, you're really not allowed to speak your mind...unless the team doesn't mind picking up the 10K tab for you doing so.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:42 PM
js10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostrichsized View Post
Who cares, we beat the refs yesterday and we can beat them again. I'm sure Torts knew the potential consequences of his statement, fines included, and went through with it anyway in order to say something that needed to be said. I applaud his attitude and I don't think he should have censored a thing.
I think fans should get behind Torts. (Something he could not have expected last season.) Yes, he was only one, who had the guts to say that. All reporters had sh.ts in their pants but Torts needs to be applauded for that and get fans' support. If he will be fined, then demand investigation and possibly fining the referees. if a movement is established to clean the sport, I do not really mind.

js10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:45 PM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
Actually, you're really not allowed to speak your mind...unless the team doesn't mind picking up the 10K tab for you doing so.
i realize that. it's BS.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:47 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
I don't doubt that whatever fine he gets won't be coming out of Torts pocket. I remember reading Keith Jones' autobiography and he talked about how Ed Snider was so angry at the officiating that he told Jonesy to go out there and say whatever he wanted and he would pay the fine. Sather critisced the officiating as well. They'll have his back.

Old
01-03-2012, 04:47 PM
egelband

i absolutely love it. and find it fairly un-american that someone can get fined for speaking out. a good manager wants to hear all opinions. not just stick his or her head in the sand and ignore anything unpalatable. nhl should address the complaints head-on. maybe they have a good reason/excuse we don't know... (unlikely, but...)

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:48 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post

What country is this?
Granted I don't know much about US sports outside of hockey, but I can't think of any other sports world-wide where you can call out the officials to the media and not expect some kind of repercussion. I understand why Torts did it, and I would have done the same. But he knows (or should know) that he'll be reprimanded for it and he should be.

The best way to make a complaint about officiating is to go through the league. Despite the ease in which we all (including me sometimes) ridicule officials, their job is very difficult and they are a vital part of the game (whatever it is). If you allow them to be ridiculed in the media without consequence, not only will the best of them decided that they can get jobs where they are appreciated a bit more (lowering the standard to unacceptable levels) but it also has a trickle down effect through all levels of the sport.

IMO the refs yesterday were bordering on incompetent at times, and action against them should be taken by the league, but the league also has to act against Torts' comments

mike14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Referees hear far worse from the players and coaches every game. Obviously the public nature of the comments will ruffle some feathers, but these things happen all the time. The officiating may be inconsistent and at times downright awful, but the zebras are professionals and generally act as such.

Torts will be fined, and that should be the end of it.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
darrenturcotte#8

The NBA ref's seem to hold grudges far more than the NHL and Cuban's Mavs won the championship despite all that he's said over the years. So I highly doubt this has a major impact on the NYR.

I totally agree with Torts comments and I think a large chunk of the league does too. Ian Walsh needs to be investigated (and I said that before I even know abt the Philly connection) and the league can use Torts $10k to cover some of the costs...

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:50 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

PTI on espn said he should be fined alot and probably suspended because bettman is going to come down hard, learning from stern. This pisses me off so much, they didnt even watch that damn period or know anything about hockey. Do me a favor espn, stay the hell away from hockey.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:51 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Referees hear far worse from the players and coaches every game. Obviously the public nature of the comments will ruffle some feathers, but these things happen all the time. The officiating may be inconsistent and at times downright awful, but the zebras are professionals and generally act as such.

Torts will be fined, and that should be the end of it.
Yeah I mean we saw it on 24/7 with Laviolette - "Typical Montreal"

Old
01-03-2012, 04:51 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
PTI on espn said he should be fined alot and probably suspended because bettman is going to come down hard, learning from stern. This pisses me off so much, they didnt even watch that damn period or know anything about hockey. Do me a favor espn, stay the hell away from hockey.
Kornheiser is a hockey fan. Not sure about Wilbon.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

As much as I think Tortorella was right and love to hear him speaking out on the subject, he deserves to be fined.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote