HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Torts' postgame comments may be detrimental (UPDATE: Fined $30,000)

Old
01-03-2012, 04:55 PM
ogie

vCash: 500
put aside all the other calls in the 3rd. the final one was definitely suspect.

How could they see the puck being covered by McD. he slides through the crease and ends up on his back... so how could be cover it with his hand or gather it into his body. The offical that was right there LaRue made no signal of a penalty, then all the officials get together and all of a sudden its a penalty shot.

If LaRue had called a penalty right away it wouldve been fine IMO, but not until after he consults with Walsh who at the time of the play was near the blueline is a penalty shot awarded.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:56 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
You guys are far too concerned about this. Thi sisn't the first time a coach, or even Torts I think has been fined over officiating comments, and it wont be the last.

Refs arent going to have a vendetta against Torts for saying somewhat in jest what he was feeling about his team getting slighted.

01-03-2012, 04:59 PM
js10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
PTI on espn said he should be fined alot and probably suspended because bettman is going to come down hard, learning from stern. This pisses me off so much, they didnt even watch that damn period or know anything about hockey. Do me a favor espn, stay the hell away from hockey.
if that will happen without fining the referees, it will be another of his unfortunate mismanagement peaks that I will remember for the long time.. backing up fixing the games. that is far more serious and disturbing, negating those few positive things NHL has done lately.

js10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:01 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Kornheiser is a hockey fan. Not sure about Wilbon.
Cant be that much of a hockey fan, he said I remember the rangers wearing those jerseys when I was a kid.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:01 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Sather essentially backed him up as well. Albeit not as publicly, but i'm sure the Rangers will cover this tab.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:03 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
You guys are far too concerned about this. Thi sisn't the first time a coach, or even Torts I think has been fined over officiating comments, and it wont be the last.

Refs arent going to have a vendetta against Torts for saying somewhat in jest what he was feeling about his team getting slighted.
When you say 'guys' are you referring to OP who seems to be the only one worried that this may have a negative impact on the Rangers (other than monetarily)?

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:25 PM
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny

I doubt this affects us much at all.

We get ****** penalties called on us even when were at home.

I can't remember where I heard this but I remember reading/hearing that Torts is actually pretty respected around the league by the refs. He doesn't complain or give them as much **** as other coaches. I find it hard to believe, but I'd love to remember where I heard this.

Swagelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Dorado*

Fining suspending Torts makes the NYR a stronger team , the players already had bought into him and starting to feel the positive Direction the team is going in and will unify them even more and make Torts that much more effective .
I have never been a 100% believer in Torts for I was skeptical if his in game decision making and his truculent personality . I am now 100% believer in him , feel his in game coaching and the conditioning and night to night effort level by the team hasn't looked as good in years . I also believe now Torts is able to make more personnel decisions without Slats intervention due to the play on the ice . I also feel a lot of credit goes to Kenny Gernander and Shony for te development of the call ups and how seemlessly they have fit into the fabric and culture of the NYR . I really hope the team continues to grow and does not take a step back .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:33 PM
rholt168
Hank**3

They've stated it all year that Torts and the referees usually get along very well and have mutual respect for each other. Just because he has one outburst recently isn't going to tarnish his reputation.

rholt168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:37 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by rholt168 View Post
They've stated it all year that Torts and the referees usually get along very well and have mutual respect for each other. Just because he has one outburst recently isn't going to tarnish his reputation.
And just because Micheletti and the MSG spin machine say it doesn't mean it's true.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:44 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
Given that the Winter Classic is the pinnacle of attention for the NHL during the regular season, the reffing HAS to be superior. Yesterday we saw an obvious attempt by the referees to put the game into OT. It was not just one controversial call, but three.

The league needs to investigate the calls and the refs. This isn't your typical case of a butt hurt fanbase that saw its team lose and is trying to find excuses. Our team WON and everyone is still fuming about the calls in the game!

Props to Torts for telling it like it is.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:46 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
Everything Torts said was 100% accurate and everybody around the NHL knows it. I'm glad he said it and don't see it hurting the team.
yea, not a big deal moving forward with the refs. he went as far as saying they're good refs, but something was odd. he went about it in the right way imo.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:46 PM
nym15rc
Rookie User

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xwSoZTHpQg

For anyone that didn't catch it, skip to 8:45.
I thought his comments were absolutely necessary.

nym15rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Nostaalgic

I would love to see the Ref's locker room post-game just like we saw on one of the 24/7 episodes

Nostaalgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 06:47 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostaalgic View Post
I would love to see the Ref's locker room post-game just like we saw on one of the 24/7 episodes
Just a hunch, but I don't think we'll be seeing that.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 06:52 PM
Onion Boy

Milbury is pissing and moaning about Torts' tirade saying its disgraceful to ring up conspiracy theories.

Frankly I'm surprised they're evening talking about it. Drawing even more attention to the issue.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 06:57 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Referees hear far worse from the players and coaches every game. Obviously the public nature of the comments will ruffle some feathers, but these things happen all the time. The officiating may be inconsistent and at times downright awful, but the zebras are professionals and generally act as such.

Torts will be fined, and that should be the end of it.
I think the HBO series proves that point.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 07:05 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
PTI on espn said he should be fined alot and probably suspended because bettman is going to come down hard, learning from stern. This pisses me off so much, they didnt even watch that damn period or know anything about hockey. Do me a favor espn, stay the hell away from hockey.
Why shouldn't he be fined? Maybe not suspended but take the homer hat off.

I saw PTI, there was nothing wrong with what they said and both actually do like hockey.

Anyways, this being blown out of proportion. Coaches bash the refs often. Maybe he took it too far with the conspiracy theory but whatever. It's really not a big deal.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 07:09 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
Why shouldn't he be fined? Maybe not suspended but take the homer hat off.

I saw PTI, there was nothing wrong with what they said and both actually do like hockey.
I love PTI, have watched for years, but my gripe is that dont discuss it if you havent watched it. Clearly they didnt watch it because any real journalist or sports/hockey fan for that matter has to question the ethics of the nhl and those refs in the final 5 minutes of play, it was ridiculous. Anyone who watched it should undoubtedly question what happen and should be AT LEAST saying Good for Torts, that is a coach who stands behind his team, organization and fans, and im glad somebody finally has the guts to stand up for whats right.

Especially journalist, they have a duty as a watchdog on society to honestly and morally report on what is unjust, bias aside. That was ridiculous, brooks touched on it today but not enough. Everyone else needs to step up. I will be the first with a sign at msg thursday night for torts if he does actually get suspended as everyones fav boy incarc bob is reporting. DONT THINK IM SAYING BOB IS RIGHT, dont take it that way, im just sayng.

And he didnt take the conspiracy thng too far because WE ALL THOUGHT IT, and I know at least 5 people who were praying he would say something about it in his post game.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 07:13 PM
Nekz
Let's Go Rangers!

Send a message via AIM to Nekz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
As much as I think Tortorella was right and love to hear him speaking out on the subject, he deserves to be fined.
Fining coaches for speaking the truth. Yep, that should prove the NHL is 100% legit.

Nekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 07:16 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekz View Post
Fining coaches for speaking the truth. Yep, that should prove the NHL is 100% legit.
It's not about 'the truth'. It's about the integrity of the game. If you let it be open season on officials it would become farcical.

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 07:19 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekz View Post
I really should have explained that out, because I knew someone was going to turn it into truth vs not. It doesn't matter if he's speaking the truth or not. He's an employee of the New York Rangers, and implicitly a representative of the NHL. The league has a public face to maintain. The proper forum for him to lodge a complaint is not to the media, but rather to the league offices, formally.

People will forget that Tortorella got fined pretty quickly, but if they don't deter coaches from speaking out about officiating to the media constantly, the league will have a very big public relations problem.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 07:20 PM
ciggy

torts did what he did because he demands alot from his players and he was gettin it from them, and the refs tried to take it away, he'll do whatever it takes to defend his players, will it have a negative affect? u betcha !

ciggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 07:25 PM
js10

Fining Torts or not, I want to see how they investigated (if ever) Walsh and LaRue after the game. Punish Torts and leave those two untouched is not solving anything.

js10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 07:29 PM
ciggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sauer View Post
I doubt this affects us much at all.

We get ****** penalties called on us even when were at home.

I can't remember where I heard this but I remember reading/hearing that Torts is actually pretty respected around the league by the refs. He doesn't complain or give them as much **** as other coaches. I find it hard to believe, but I'd love to remember where I heard this.

yes, i heard this as well, think it might have been micheletti who said this during a game in which bad calls were made and the ref was explaining the call to torts and torts was giving the ref a chance to explain instead of jumpin down his throat

ciggy is offline   Reply With Quote