HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torts' postgame comments may be detrimental (UPDATE: Fined $30,000)

Old
01-03-2012, 08:33 PM
mike14

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by js10 View Post
Fining Torts or not, I want to see how they investigated (if ever) Walsh and LaRue after the game. Punish Torts and leave those two untouched is not solving anything.
That should (quite rightly) be kept in-house. whether it be extra coaching, a few games off, some reffing in the AHL the only way anyone should find out out is if they actively look for it.

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 08:37 PM
js10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
It's not about 'the truth'. It's about the integrity of the game. If you let it be open season on officials it would become farcical.
well, my understanding of integrity equals to fair reffing..

js10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 08:40 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Fair reffing is part of it, but it isn't all of it.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 08:42 PM
js10

Quote:
That should (quite rightly) be kept in-house. whether it be extra coaching, a few games off, some reffing in the AHL the only way anyone should find out out is if they actively look for it.
that is like playing like nothing really happened, and if happened it was coincidental. which was not because one of the referees was from Philadelphia and last 4 minutes he was purposefully fixing the game to his liking. I was not there and not paid anything for that match, but if I paid $1000 to see that 4 min theater, I would be really pissed. (which I am anyway)

Old
01-03-2012, 08:46 PM
mike14

Quote:
True, but no imagine the NHL (or any other sport) allows coaches and players to bag out the refs to the media any time they want without consequence.

Would you pay massive $$ to sponsor a sport where everyone complains about 'corrupt' officials, would you even pay to watch it?

As a parent, would you enroll your child in a sport, where at the top level the officials are labeled as 'incompetent'? If it's that bad at the top, imagine what it must be at the Jnr level. It would be a waste of time for my kids, I'll put him in a different sport...

Old
01-03-2012, 08:49 PM
mike14

Quote:
that is like playing like nothing really happened, and if happened it was coincidental. which was not because one of the referees was from Philadelphia and last 4 minutes he was purposefully fixing the game to his liking. I was not there and not paid anything for that match, but if I paid $1000 to see that 4 min theater, I would be really pissed. (which I am anyway)
Sorry, missed this one with the other reply.

With the bold, the burden of proof is on the accuser, and good luck with that. Poor reffing doesn't automatically mean match fixing, and where all 4 officials in on it?

If they take sanctions against the refs and keep it 'in house' it's not like it never happened. All the clubs will know and more importantly so will all the other officials, who don't want that to happen to them. Throwing it all over the media just creates a bigger storm.

Old
01-03-2012, 08:53 PM
js10

Quote:
True, but no imagine the NHL (or any other sport) allows coaches and players to bag out the refs to the media any time they want without consequence.

Would you pay massive $$ to sponsor a sport where everyone complains about 'corrupt' officials, would you even pay to watch it?

As a parent, would you enroll your child in a sport, where at the top level the officials are labeled as 'incompetent'? If it's that bad at the top, imagine what it must be at the Jnr level. It would be a waste of time for my kids, I'll put him in a different sport...
if you do not complain, you won't get a fix. solving this issue by fining Torts is as detrimental to the game as the approach of doping. let's hide it under the carpet and make impression nothing happened. in my mind, that is worse to the game than openly admitting of wrong doing on the refs. That will tell referees IN THE FUTURE, that if you do something like that, it will be also your last game in NHL

Old
01-03-2012, 08:54 PM
Tiki Talk
Oh Baby

Inconsistent (for lack of coming out and saying biased) officiating is becoming a bigger problem in the NHL, and longtime fans notice it has gradually gotten worse over the years. The addition of the two-ref system was supposed to improve the quality of the officiating but it really hasn't and never will as long as the M.O. is to selectively officiate the games based on a number of factors (score, player reputations, make-up calls, mad about things said to them, mad about stuff that happened last game, etc). All of these things seem to have just been doubled now that there are two guys out there with all these things racing through their heads in addition to the overall difficulty of reffing hockey to begin with.

Regarding Tortorella's comments, we hear all the time during broadcasts that the refs constantly refer to Torts as one of the more respectful coaches in the league when he talks to them. How many times in the post-game comments have we seen reporters giving him an opportunity to rip the refs only to have him say "look we can't blame officiating, we have to play through things like that" or something similar? Even in his WC comments he interjected "And again, I donít want to... because they are good guys..." still showing respect for those refs despite their obvious screwjob. For a guy with Torts' reputation to come out and make comments like he did, that is strong. This is to say nothing of Slats and Lundqvist echoing his sentiments. I don't care if the league fines him, this is something that needs to be looked at. This was one of the NHL's biggest marketing events of the season and what are fans talking about? Great plays? The rivalry between us & Philly? Hartnell being a ******? Nope, it's the officiating.

Tiki Talk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
if you do not complain, you won't get a fix. solving this issue by fining Torts is as detrimental to the game as the approach of doping. let's hide it under the carpet and make impression nothing happened. in my mind, that is worse to the game than openly admitting of wrong doing on the refs. That will tell referees IN THE FUTURE, that if you do something like that, it will be also your last game in NHL
The issue here is not that he complained, but the forum in which he did.

Old
01-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post

The league needs to investigate the calls and the refs. .
The same league that probably asked them to get it to OT in the first place?

Foxes guarding the hen house man.

rip
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 08:56 PM
mike14

Quote:
So complain through the system. Have a chat to the head office.

Like I said earlier, I have no problems with an occasional blast to the media, but I also have no problem with them being reprimanded/fined for it.

Old
01-03-2012, 08:57 PM
js10

Quote:
Sorry, missed this one with the other reply.

With the bold, the burden of proof is on the accuser, and good luck with that. Poor reffing doesn't automatically mean match fixing, and where all 4 officials in on it?

If they take sanctions against the refs and keep it 'in house' it's not like it never happened. All the clubs will know and more importantly so will all the other officials, who don't want that to happen to them. Throwing it all over the media just creates a bigger storm.
well, if they do not investigate, they can't find anything. if they do, they could.. so what will happen now? nothing.. and poor officiating will continue.. they should rather develop a plan of awarding referees for objective officiating and penalizing for poor job as those two clowns

Old
01-03-2012, 09:00 PM
mike14

Quote:
well, if they do not investigate, they can't find anything. if they do, they could.. so what will happen now? nothing.. and poor officiating will continue.. they should rather develop a plan of awarding referees for objective officiating and penalizing for poor job as those two clowns
Just because they don't announce it doesn't mean it isn't being looked at and that action wont be taken, they'll just keep it out of the media

Old
01-03-2012, 09:02 PM
js10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersRising View Post
This was one of the NHL's biggest marketing events of the season and what are fans talking about? Great plays? The rivalry between us & Philly? Hartnell being a ******? Nope, it's the officiating.
Exactly my point. It should have been a great event that people will be talking about, and instead you have this questioning the integrity of game. Step back for everyone involved. (at the end it might actually help Rangers in the locker-room to strengthen the team spirit)

Old
01-03-2012, 09:03 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Exactly my point. It should have been a great event that people will be talking about, and instead you have this questioning the integrity of game. Step back for everyone involved. (at the end it might actually help Rangers in the locker-room to strengthen the team spirit)
I would like to talk about the event, but no one else seems to want to.

Old
01-03-2012, 09:09 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
There's nothing to investigate.

Qui bono? What does Walsh get out of his hometown winning the WC, especially if he tries handing it to them on a silver platter through questionable penalties? Not much, there's barely anything to celebrate there. Maybe a kickback from Ed Snider? Not to mention Walsh isn't the only guy out there making calls and deciding the game's fate.

What does the league and NBC get if their golden game of the year gets pushed in to OT/shootout? Oh, yeah, more money.

It's pretty obvious to me that if they were trying to get the game in to OT, it was ordered from the top, not a local boy with home-team bias.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 09:12 PM
js10

Quote:
Just because they don't announce it doesn't mean it isn't being looked at and that action wont be taken, they'll just keep it out of the media
so you have public openly questioning those two, you have NHL and its director being blamed to be involved in this, and you get no information on the final resolution? well, for me, it is another middle finger in fans' faces.. just buy NHL certified goods, buy the tickets and we will make you believe not to see what you actually see, in return

Old
01-03-2012, 09:16 PM
mike14

Quote:
so you have public openly questioning those two, you have NHL and its director being blamed to be involved in this, and you get no information on the final resolution? well, for me, it is another middle finger in fans' faces.. just buy NHL certified goods, buy the tickets and we will make you believe not to see what you actually see, in return
But are they really being questioned? Is the NHL brass being blamed? I don't really have access to US media outlets but from those I do it doesn't seem so.

Aside from (rightly) upset Ranger fans, everyone seems to have moved on without harboring any long lasting 'conspiracy theories'. If the NHL choose to investigate, they'll let the GMs know any outcomes.

I'm unsure why they would investigate something you seem to imply their involved in though. Why would you trust the findings of that investigation?

Old
01-03-2012, 10:09 PM
bmw2004

It was so ****ing obvious that they wanted to take the game to the OT. They have made this decision way before the game started. Any team losing by a goal in the last ten minutes were supposed to get all the chances in the world to tie the game and bring it to Over Time and maybe penalty shots. These extra 15-20 minutes would make a ton of money for the NHL and NBC.
You have to be made from the stone not to mention anything in the press conference about this disgrace by the officials. I am glad Torts made this comment.

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:17 PM
js10

moving on does not mean anything.. it is just way to acknowledge that you have no saying in society/community and yourself can't change anything. only when you truly protest (or do something truly stupid), you get the attention of the media, and public will finally pay you attention. yeah, shut up, move with the crowd and don't worry for the future.

Old
01-03-2012, 10:30 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Flyer fans on the flyer board were saying that the refs were giving them ridiculous calls.

The question is would the officials have done the same for the Rangers if the Rangers were losing by a goal?

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:40 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Flyer fans on the flyer board were saying that the refs were giving them ridiculous calls.

The question is would the officials have done the same for the Rangers if the Rangers were losing by a goal?
Or, would the officials have done the same if the Rangers were down a goal and the game was in NY?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:41 PM
ltrangerfan

Some thoughts:

All is good. The Rangers came out on top. Torts is simply protecting his territory.

1)Yea the penalty shot was a bit over the top. The first penalty ? My observation... More often than not a team that is trailing by a goal late in a game receives a PP on any questionable play so I have no problem with the first call. On Gab's incident.. the Rangers were on top so it's tough to get a call.

2)Did it hurt the refs reputation? With whom?

3)Did it hurt the NHL? Anytime the casual fan is reading/talking hockey it's good for the sport.

In the end... many more people are interested in seeing an NHL game today than yesterday so I believe the league had a winner.

ltrangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:50 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrangerfan View Post
Some thoughts:

All is good. The Rangers came out on top. Torts is simply protecting his territory.

1)Yea the penalty shot was a bit over the top. The first penalty ? My observation... More often than not a team that is trailing by a goal late in a game receives a PP on any questionable play so I have no problem with the first call. On Gab's incident.. the Rangers were on top so it's tough to get a call.

2)Did it hurt the refs reputation? With whom?

3)Did it hurt the NHL? Anytime the casual fan is reading/talking hockey it's good for the sport.

In the end... many more people are interested in seeing an NHL game today than yesterday so I believe the league had a winner.
You know what...if this were simply a charity game or similar I'd be fine with all that. But it wasn't. It was a real game that counts in the standings...and the fact that there was clearly an effort to get the game to OT is just bogus. It's a joke that they were willing to sacrifice the integrity of the game for the spectacle of this event. Even if they called the game "fair" from OT on I would have been beyond outraged today had the flyers tied it up.

BS Delay of Game Call on McDonagh
BS No Call on Timonen
BS Holding the Stick call on Callahan
BS Penalty Shot where there is ZERO conclusive evidence on McDonagh

Any one, perhaps two, of these calls alone and you could simply chalk it up to uneven but typical officiating. But all 4? Heck, they even "forgot" to start the clock for several seconds after the faceoff with 3:17 to go. The whole thing is just as Torts' said...disgusting.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 05:13 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

DarrenDreger Darren Dreger
Told the fine assessed to Tortorella is significant.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote