HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Calmest the AHL has been in a while

Old
12-30-2011, 01:00 PM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 695
Abbotsford isn't going anywhere, they had a new mayor voted in, but all the City council members remain the same. The new mayor doesn't like the deal with the Heat, but said it's a binding agreement and he won't try to break it up. Besides, if the Heat leave, who will move in? The WHL right now appears to rather want to contract than relocate, and I think Chilliwack is a better WHL/hockey market than Abbotsford is too. Guess we'll see, but I think we're a few years away from the Heat being moved.

go_leafs_go02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 02:52 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjerina View Post
Overheard one ticket rep say it was the largest weekday crowd since the Wolves inaugural 94/95 IHL season. Place was packed!
Was it bring a buddy night or something?? Geeze. I mean it's not even like it's the best team the Wolves have fielded, really not even close.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 04:49 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
Was it bring a buddy night or something?? Geeze. I mean it's not even like it's the best team the Wolves have fielded, really not even close.
Clearly, it was the mid-season Merchandise Sale. More people for looking for after Christmas sales, wherever that might take them.

12-31-2011, 08:31 AM
Cynicaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Here in Norfolk, there is a fair amount of concern that Tampa may head elsewhere for 2012-13 and beyond. And the list of NHL teams that would be interested in moving their AHL affiliate here is likely very short given the Norfolk's problematic travel situation.
Not that problematic versus, say, Abbotsford or St. John's. I'd slot theirs as being about equal to Charlotte on that list given how the AHL really used Charlotte having an air hub to screw them over. Syracuse should've gone to the North and Grand Rapids to the Midwest instead of Charlotte being an extreme outlier.

Cynicaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:05 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynicaps View Post
Not that problematic versus, say, Abbotsford or St. John's. I'd slot theirs as being about equal to Charlotte on that list given how the AHL really used Charlotte having an air hub to screw them over. Syracuse should've gone to the North and Grand Rapids to the Midwest instead of Charlotte being an extreme outlier.
Norfolk is horrible as a travel destination. The only worse one in the AHL is St. Johns. How do you figure Charlotte got screwed? They are a hub of US Air and everyone in the west is pretty near another hub airport. They go to Chicago for Rockford, Chicago, Milwaukee, and Peoria maybe GR. Houston for San Antonio, Houston, Austin (Texas), Cleveland for GR and Lake Erie, Vancouver for Abbotsford, Toronto for Hamilton and Toronto. The most difficult team to get to in the west in OKC.

Charlotte was also probably the only team that didn't complain about travel costs since their costs always involved flying somewhere then busing to destinations.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:23 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Syracuse should've gone to the North and Grand Rapids to the Midwest instead of Charlotte being an extreme outlier.
So who do you move out of the Midwest with Grand Rapids going in? Chicago, Milwaukee, Rockford or Peoria?

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Cynicaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
So who do you move out of the Midwest with Grand Rapids going in? Chicago, Milwaukee, Rockford or Peoria?
Charlotte would've gone taken Syracuse's place in the East.

Cynicaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 12:57 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Charlotte would've gone taken Syracuse's place in the East.
the whole problem w/ AHL Alignment, Cynicaps, was trying to keep it balanced at 15 in each conference even w/ a 76 gm schedule, and the same alignment the NHL HAS NOW.

In past alignments both Syracuse and Rochester were in the West..... you'd have to convince both to switch which is why Syracuse did, but Rochester did not.

Charlotte was only added to help out Norfolk, as both were in the same division, but the original plan was Charlotte was put in the West upon admittance....

CHRDANHUTCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 01:53 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Would a potential Phoenix -> Quebec City relocation in the NHL have much of an impact in the AHL?

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Not necessarily. The Portland Pirates are currently affiliated with the Coyotes, but the Pirates are locally owned. So, the transfer of the Phoenix franchise will not mean that Portland gets moved.

Hypothetically speaking, if the QC owners are friendly with another AHL team that is locally owned also, just say Syracuse for example, then something could be worked out where the QC owners move their affliation to Syracuse (or some other team).

It wouldn't be like Winnipeg where TNSE just up and moved the the AHL team. TNSE owned their AHL team, so they could put it wherever they wanted. This isn't the case for the Phoenix franchise.

Majik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Windstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
Norfolk is horrible as a travel destination. The only worse one in the AHL is St. Johns. How do you figure Charlotte got screwed? They are a hub of US Air and everyone in the west is pretty near another hub airport. They go to Chicago for Rockford, Chicago, Milwaukee, and Peoria maybe GR. Houston for San Antonio, Houston, Austin (Texas), Cleveland for GR and Lake Erie, Vancouver for Abbotsford, Toronto for Hamilton and Toronto. The most difficult team to get to in the west in OKC.

Charlotte was also probably the only team that didn't complain about travel costs since their costs always involved flying somewhere then busing to destinations.
I don't know what teams do when they come to play the Heat, but they could actually fly right in to Abbotsford International Airport.

Windstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windstorm View Post
I don't know what teams do when they come to play the Heat, but they could actually fly right in to Abbotsford International Airport.
There only appear to be three commercial airlines that fly into Abbotsford International Airport, WestJet, Orca Airways, and Island Express. These flights only come from Calgary, Edmonton, Victoria, and Nanaimo. So, if a team did want to fly into Abbotsford, they are going to have to change planes in one of the destinations. It would seem easier just to fly into Vancouver and bus it over to Abbotsford.

Old
01-02-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1987 View Post
There only appear to be three commercial airlines that fly into Abbotsford International Airport, WestJet, Orca Airways, and Island Express. These flights only come from Calgary, Edmonton, Victoria, and Nanaimo. So, if a team did want to fly into Abbotsford, they are going to have to change planes in one of the destinations. It would seem easier just to fly into Vancouver and bus it over to Abbotsford.
I don't know how Worcester got from Winnipeg to Abbotsford a couple years back, but they bussed from Abbotsford to Seattle to fly home...

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 07:10 PM
CrazyEddie20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
I don't know how Worcester got from Winnipeg to Abbotsford a couple years back, but they bussed from Abbotsford to Seattle to fly home...
They flew from Winnipeg to Vancouver and bussed to Abbotsford. Winnipeg to Vancouver is fairly cheap, as is renting a bus.

CrazyEddie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 07:56 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
The Phantoms are definitely going to move to the Lehigh Valley whenever their arena gets built. Hopefully Glens Falls get another team when that happens.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 10:41 PM
adsfan

Quote:
I don't buy that. Football is on one day, Sundays. Well okay if you like College but thats a more pickier subject to debate vs the pro situation.

I also would think most people are broke after the Holiday season so to speak so why should attendance go up, shouldn't it be going down? Or so one would think anyway.
The Packers get a 50 to 60% TV share for their games in Milwaukee. That is a huge amount, like the last episode of MASH or the SuperBowl. The Univ. of Wisconsin in Madison also has a good football following. Chicago has college and high school games that cut into the Wolves attendance.

When the Wolves and Admirals play each other, it is usually on a Friday in Milwaukee and on a Saturday in Chicago. Both teams like it that way. Auto racing is also a big sport in Milwaukee. Most seasons, the Admirals have a home game scheduled on the Sunday of the Daytona 500. Their attendance is always less on that day.

Some people buy tickets in advance or have flexi-plans or get tickets a holiday gifts.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:57 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Pretty much what adsfan said. There is nobody on the streets out driving or anything during Packer games. You get that done before the game starts and you either celebrate at home or the bar afterwards or you stay in if they lose.

Last year the Admirals averaged 3,442 in 4 games the Packers played. They averaged 6,058 in other games.

I had the numbers this year but I think it's like 3,200 or something around that when the Packers play and 4,746 when they don't.

And the Admirals play on January 15th, the same day as the Packers first playoff game. And it's pretty much the worst possible time for the Admirals. The Packers start at 3:30 I think, the Admirals start at 3. That time will get moved to something like 7 but it won't matter that much. They might get a few extra fans. I don't know how many tickets they've sold but I'm guessing less than 2,000 people show up, maybe less than 1,500.

Old
01-03-2012, 01:57 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Pretty much what adsfan said. There is nobody on the streets out driving or anything during Packer games. You get that done before the game starts and you either celebrate at home or the bar afterwards or you stay in if they lose.

Last year the Admirals averaged 3,442 in 4 games the Packers played. They averaged 6,058 in other games.

I had the numbers this year but I think it's like 3,200 or something around that when the Packers play and 4,746 when they don't.

And the Admirals play on January 15th, the same day as the Packers first playoff game. And it's pretty much the worst possible time for the Admirals. The Packers start at 3:30 I think, the Admirals start at 3. That time will get moved to something like 7 but it won't matter that much. They might get a few extra fans. I don't know how many tickets they've sold but I'm guessing less than 2,000 people show up, maybe less than 1,500.
Really ticked thats not the 8PM Saturday Game on the 14th...

Old
01-03-2012, 08:51 AM
SpokedLightning
Tampa Bound

vCash: 167
Monarchs attendance for New Years eve game vs Provi. 9665. The largest crowd of the year.

SpokedLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:42 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Quote:
The Milwaukee Admirals' game against Lake Erie Jan. 15 at the Bradley Center has been changed from 3 to 1 p.m. to avoid conflict with the Green Bay Packers' first playoff game.

Kickoff for Green Bay's game is at 3:30 p.m. that day against either Detroit, Atlanta or the New York Giants.
So yeah, the Ads game will be done either just before or right as the Packer game starts. So there's going to be almost nobody there.

Old
01-03-2012, 04:31 PM
cjerina

Quote:
This. Heck, if I need to go shopping, I'll do it while the Packers are playing. Stores are dead.

cjerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjerina View Post
This. Heck, if I need to go shopping, I'll do it while the Packers are playing. Stores are dead.
You are assuming that the stores would be open...

Old
01-03-2012, 05:57 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1987 View Post
You are assuming that the stores would be open...
I can't imagine every soul in Milwaukee is a sports fan

Old
01-03-2012, 07:52 PM
adsfan

Quote:
I can't imagine every soul in Milwaukee is a sports fan
Not every soul. I know 3 or 4 people around SE Wisconsin who are not sports fans, but I know a lot of people. I go to the grocery store at halftime of some Packers games. There will be more cashiers (wearing Packers jerseys) than customers. I can get out fast and listen to the game on radio as I drive home.

AF24 is correct. You stop at a red light and there may be no cross traffic in Milwaukee. In Green Bay, you can stand in the busiest intersection until you get bored during a game. Fox has shown that a few times over the years.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:20 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
Not every soul. I know 3 or 4 people around SE Wisconsin who are not sports fans, but I know a lot of people. I go to the grocery store at halftime of some Packers games. There will be more cashiers (wearing Packers jerseys) than customers. I can get out fast and listen to the game on radio as I drive home.

AF24 is correct. You stop at a red light and there may be no cross traffic in Milwaukee. In Green Bay, you can stand in the busiest intersection until you get bored during a game. Fox has shown that a few times over the years.

When the Packers play a god awful opponent that is when you do all your XMas shopping! Well if your a guy that dreads doing that stuff and the stupid crowds you have to fight with when you do it every year.