HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mid-Season Press Conference

Old
01-03-2012, 02:42 PM
Subban76

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Cunneyworth should have never been hired by the Habs to begin with. All Gauthier want to hire are former Senators people. If he hires Pascal Vincent in Hamilton and bring him in as ass coach to Martin, we don't have this problem.
I hate Pascal Vincent and find him to be a bad coach. We would have a worse problem on our hands with him.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Gauthier didn't mention that he himself screwed up by not signing another top 4
d-man in case Markov wasn't ready? And judging by fan reaction this is definitely something he should have known - that Markov wasn't going to be ready.
All indications in June were that Markov was on schedule. PG has no way of knowing he would ahve a setback in August. Plus they signed Campoli who would have added #3-4 minuted has HE not gotten hurt after 30 minutes of hockey.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:48 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
LoL We are now so much better on paper, the difference though, those guys look like they have fun togheter, they look united, something we have failed to see from our guys this season..
our team unity has got us though some tough injures inthe past 2009-10 was a season where key players got hurt

donghabs98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
I hate Pascal Vincent and find him to be a bad coach. We would have a worse problem on our hands with him.
He makes JM look like an up-tempo and exciting coach.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:50 PM
Jigger77

Missed the PG conference. Did he mention how his idea to fire JM has payed off?

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:51 PM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
It's paid off, we are now sitting in the lottery pick range

Old
01-03-2012, 02:54 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Justify it any way you like. We were fine, in the picture, two games above .500 and I was looking forward to doing some damage in the playoffs as a dark horse this year. I'll never be happy about losing.

Old
01-03-2012, 02:59 PM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

Quote:
Honestly, I'm starting to believe that PG really wanted a lottery pick...

It all makes sense to me now!!!

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 03:01 PM
larek

Quote:
Justify it any way you like. We were fine, in the picture, two games above .500 and I was looking forward to doing some damage in the playoffs as a dark horse this year. I'll never be happy about losing.
and i i will never be happy w ith habs spinning there wheels -going a very small distance season after seaon- whats it been about 19 now?
have to rebuild the right way- the other ways have shown to be wrong the last 2 decades

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
and i i will never be happy w ith habs spinning there wheels -going a very small distance season after seaon- whats it been about 19 now?
have to rebuild the right way- the other ways have shown to be wrong the last 2 decades
So rebuild after the season then. Don't quit on your team half way through one when you're still in the picture.

Old
01-03-2012, 03:09 PM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
and fans would know more about the condition of a player than the GM because?

it's preposterous to think that PG knew markov wouldn't be ready (and hell, knew that he would need another minor surgery), but still signed him long term, told everybody he would be ready and opted to not take appropriate contingencies.

and then there's the whole issue whether a top 4 guy would even fit in our cap. these guys cost somewhere between 3-4, maybe a bit less...
PG admitted knowing it could take Markov up to 12 months (December) to be just back in a game. That doesn't include getting into game shape and regaining his form.

Hamrlik was knocking on the door and the cap room was there. Gauthier was stubborn and didn't want to give another year. Signed Gill instead.

Yes, yes Campoli! He's working out so well. If you've followed this team the last four years you know that d-men drop like flies.

And then Gauthier cans Martin to cover his own and creates another whirlwind around the team.

"There's no excuse for not being properly prepared!" - Charlie Brown, Peanuts Character

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 03:23 PM
Subban76

Quote:
I should have added the to my post.

I was being sarcastic. I hate losing also.

Old
01-03-2012, 03:51 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Wasn't there some chatter, that the day JM got fired, he and PG had a major disagreement on something? I don't think that PG had plans to fire JM at the time, but something prompted it...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 03:54 PM
HCH

Quote:
You consistently flog this dead horse. Get over it, Martin is gone and it is good riddance. He was one of the problems, there are more to address but we weren't going anywhere with Martin.

Or are you one of those who is happy with consistently squeaking into the playoffs. It certainly sounds like mediocrity is your goal.

Unfortunately you don't make a leap from mediocrity to contender without a little pain. That is what we are experiencing now. If you want to pout about it, go ahead but I am still very happy with the move.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 03:55 PM
HCH

Quote:
So rebuild after the season then. Don't quit on your team half way through one when you're still in the picture.
Still in the picture? That is delusional.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 03:56 PM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Wasn't there some chatter, that the day JM got fired, he and PG had a major disagreement on something? I don't think that PG had plans to fire JM at the time, but something prompted it...
Rumours and speculations, I would not put too much truth into it, but who knows?

PG did say that it was an idea he had contemplated for a few weeks when he did it, so I don't really believe in this disagreement story.

Old
01-03-2012, 04:02 PM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
You consistently flog this dead horse. Get over it, Martin is gone and it is good riddance. He was one of the problems, there are more to address but we weren't going anywhere with Martin.

Or are you one of those who is happy with consistently squeaking into the playoffs. It certainly sounds like mediocrity is your goal.

Unfortunately you don't make a leap from mediocrity to contender without a little pain. That is what we are experiencing now. If you want to pout about it, go ahead but I am still very happy with the move.
Not saying I disagree with the move, but improving this team comes from player movements and developement, not coaching, so saying Martin was a problem is false to me. Cunny is doing worse with the same palyers. Martin got the best of what was given to him and that makes him a good coach, like it or not, facts are there to prove it.

I like the move because it exposes the fact that Martin was over performing with the current roster and that such a roster needs some tweaking to be better.

Like I said, I agree with you with no longer squeaking into the playoffs and rising to the top of the NHL, but your reasons are wrong, the roster was the problem, not Martin.

Old
01-03-2012, 04:04 PM
Subban76

Quote:
Now, yes, but before Martin being fired, C'mon, they were 2 or 4 pts behind with tons of injuries and players under performing.

You're delusional if you think we were not in it at that time.

Now, being 10 pts behind is more delusional, yet not impossible.

Old
01-03-2012, 04:07 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Please. You're just upset because unlike what you thought would happen this team did not get magically better when they let JM go. The guy had them a couple points out of 8th place with two guys on D who had never played in the NHL before the season started and Markov mia and the most man games in the entire league lost to injury at the time.

You are the one who is delusional and who refuses to acknowledge that JM is a very good coach and that he was doing just fine because it proves wrong what you and the rest of the lynch mob were preaching all year.

And we made it to the CFs and within one goal of beating the Champs under JM. That is not squeezing into the playoffs and losing right away. Teams learn how to play in the playoffs and I would have loved to see what we would have done this year. I firmly believe that had we kept the course for the season with the return of Markov pushing this group we could have once again made some noise and enjoy spring in Montreal the way it's meant to be. With the Habs IN the playoffs.

But hey, he didn't throw tantrums on the bench and his style was boring. So enjoy this style whatever the **** that is.

Last edited by Jigger77: 01-03-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old
01-03-2012, 04:51 PM
HeShootsHeScores

Right now I'm hoping to have an opportunity to hope without being delusional.

Basically, I hope we win 3 games in a row so we can get back on the "we gotta win 2 games out of 3 till the end of the seaon to make the playoffs" trail. I know it is far fetched.

If our record in the next five games is 4-1, then I'll start thinking about the possibility of seeing habs playoffs hockey in spring again.

Till then I'll just try to get the positvism out of every situation.

- If we get on a hot streak ASAP : Good, we can start believing again.
- If we are mediocre : I hope for an hot streak ASAP
- If the team just keeps being bad till the trade deadline, we are sellers and we re-build.

I think that somehow it is not so difficult to be optimistic right now, as it's getting obvious there are changes coming, whether it means the habs start winning sooner than later or just completly change the team mentality and core.

While it's difficult to hope for success this season, it's not far fetched to think our team might be a lot better as soon as next year.

Somehow, next year could show shades of 2007-2008. Not talking about finishing 1st in conference, but rather having a young team being coached by the right vets. More place to the young players, and less crybabies vets. How about Cole having a Kovalev type of leadership role next year?

How about Cole being the next captain in a few years?

About Roy...

If Roy is gonna be in the mix as soon as next year, then I think the only way it could work out is if Roy is surrounded with vets and ass. coaches who have an easier temper to deal with. If the vets are having a "still willing to learn" attitude, Roy might do lots of good to this team. If the vets are stubborn and selfish, get a coach who cools down fire instead of a coach who is gonna be a ticking time bomb.

Interesting times ahead of us as fans for sure.

HeShootsHeScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
I'm not saying he's my type of coach. But PG would have given a chance to a guy from the Q and i'm saying he would have been the ass coach under Martin and no uproar.

Kimota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
I don't understand why people talk and assume that PG will be gone at the end of the season. I have a feeling he won't and most of you should prepare for this, so that you don't freak out for nothing when he stays.
And that's what is scary.

Kimota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 12:44 AM
larek

[QUOTE=Kimota;41873031]And that's what is scary.[

yep--- very scary

Old
01-04-2012, 12:53 AM
larek

Quote:
Please. You're just upset because unlike what you thought would happen this team did not get magically better when they let JM go. The guy had them a couple points out of 8th place with two guys on D who had never played in the NHL before the season started and Markov mia and the most man games in the entire league lost to injury at the time.

You are the one who is delusional and who refuses to acknowledge that JM is a very good coach and that he was doing just fine because it proves wrong what you and the rest of the lynch mob were preaching all year.

And we made it to the CFs and within one goal of beating the Champs under JM. That is not squeezing into the playoffs and losing right away. Teams learn how to play in the playoffs and I would have loved to see what we would have done this year. I firmly believe that had we kept the course for the season with the return of Markov pushing this group we could have once again made some noise and enjoy spring in Montreal the way it's meant to be. With the Habs IN the playoffs.

But hey, he didn't throw tantrums on the bench and his style was boring. So enjoy this style whatever the **** that is.
I agree ---- martin should not have been fired--- thatshould have happened after the season, with Gauthier, Gainey, and a number of others hitting the pavement with him.never to return again

Old
01-04-2012, 01:21 AM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
RC is not an idiot. I'm sure he was well aware of the situation, and he was hired as an interim coach. I think fans and the media make a lot more out of this than he probably does (surprise surprise).
I don't think players let up because the coach is likely to change the following year. There isn't one player in the NHL that isn't proud, they want to play well, get their points, make nice plays and win games.
If they're tired of the coach, perhaps, but not a new coach, not even an interim. They might start letting up later, when they don't believe in their PO chances anymore, but not now.

I'm unimpressed by his coaching so far, and it has nothing to do with being in Mtl.
If firing JM was strictly and simply to get rid of him without having a proper replacement, e.g. replacing JM with a guy with the "Interim Coach" label on his forehead, then this organisation is full of incompetence. What exactly were they hoping for by firing JM and put an interim coach in the driver's seat? It just doesn't make sense. Therefore, I do not think PG himself made that decision; it was probably a fan who made that decision: G. Molson. On the other hand, if that decision was solely PG's, then I do not think he initially meant for RC just to be an interim coach.

As for the players being proud, sure but that doesn't necessarily translate into playing as a team effectively. For that, you need an established coach who have mileage with the team and the players and someone who's meant to stay for the long haul. Playing for an (interim) coach that won't be here next year is very different for the players mentality, even if they are proud -- it's just human nature. Of course, there are players who will always give their 100% no matter the coach but, it only takes a few players to "slack" a bit or play a bit more selfish and the team is headed in the wrong direction.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote