HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

1999 Bronze Medal Game

Old
01-03-2012, 02:44 PM
ffenliv

vCash: 500
1999 Bronze Medal Game

On the broadcast last night, the TSN guys (Gord Miller, anyway) talked about the 1999 bronze medal game, where Slovakia beat Sweden. They were talking about the Slovak reaction to winning the medal. I've been looking around for video, but can't find any.

Does anyone have a link, or maybe even a copy of the bronze medal game from 1999? I'd love to see it.

ffenliv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:50 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffenliv View Post
On the broadcast last night, the TSN guys (Gord Miller, anyway) talked about the 1999 bronze medal game, where Slovakia beat Sweden. They were talking about the Slovak reaction to winning the medal. I've been looking around for video, but can't find any.

Does anyone have a link, or maybe even a copy of the bronze medal game from 1999? I'd love to see it.
I kinda doubt it, I dont recall ever seeing a video of that game na dit got mentioned plenty of times in Slovak media, Ive only ever seen a few pictures of the Slovak team from that year, but Im not even sure whether any of them where from the Sweden game.

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:51 PM
ffenliv

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
I kinda doubt it, I dont recall ever seeing a video of that game na dit got mentioned plenty of times in Slovak media, Ive only ever seen a few pictures of the Slovak team from that year, but Im not even sure whether any of them where from the Sweden game.
Ya, I haven't got high hopes, but figred HFBoards was my best bet.

Old
01-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Stanleyjub

Found this pic.

Stanleyjub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 03:12 PM
ffenliv

Thanks!

I tried turning it into a movie, but it turns out that playing the same pic 30 times per second .... doesn't make a movie. Damn!

I'll just use my poor imagination to guess at what happened before they started singing.

Thanks again!

Old
01-03-2012, 03:15 PM
oilWILDcountry

I was looking for the same thing yesterday to no avail

oilWILDcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 03:17 PM
Kamzik

I saw Ladislav Nagy's jersey from that game on display at the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Some celebration on the bench

Zoltan Batovsky [RIP] on the right

The boys next to the team bus. Spot the young Gaborik. Seven of the players went on to win medals with the senior team. Nine went on to play in the NHL. One of them went on to win a Stanley Cup. One of them died shortly afterwards in an auto accident.

Jan Lasak, named best goaltender of the tournament.

Kamzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 07:38 PM
tony d
Is it though?

I remember during that time people where talking about Slovakia as the next big hockey nation. While they have had some success they really haven't developed. The 1999 team did have substansial talent though.

01-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Kamzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
I remember during that time people where talking about Slovakia as the next big hockey nation. While they have had some success they really haven't developed. The 1999 team did have substansial talent though.
Czechoslovak hockey has been around longer than Russian hockey.

Kamzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 02:39 AM
alko

Quote:
I think, for the next few years, Slovakia was a big hockey country. U18 was also 3. on their WJC and senior team won, silver, gold and Bronze in WCH in next 4 years. And in 2001/2002 NHL season we saw 31 Slovak players. The most in history. But after that....

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 03:22 AM
begbeee

Quote:
We re definitely the worst of the big hockey nation, but definitely the only one from smaller hockey nations with chance for big upset on senior level. We have bad times now and we're rebuilding our NT.

begbeee is offline   Reply With Quote