HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

I think Russia is going to Win the 2014 Olympics

Old
01-03-2012, 10:18 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
Playing well at the WJR's does not always translate into a great pro career...

As great as Russia's forwards are, I think Canada's offense will be the best of the tournament.

However I think Russia, given the game will be on the big ice, will be co-favourites with Canada and will meet in the Gold Medal game.
Co-favorites yes but anything can happen in an Olympic tournament.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:23 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovepizzaandhockey View Post
wow can't believe how many people are getting upset over this lol just calm down, no need to get mad with someone over the internet for an opinion, cause I don't care
It seems like you are looking for people to respond angrily, when in fact, most people see this thread for what it is. Nice try, though. Regardless on the purpose of this thread, you are not saying anything controversial or enlightening.

In terms of Olympics, you could have six different guys from six different nations come on here and predict his country would win the 2014 gold medal, and all of them could be right. The top 20 players from the big 6 are all close in ability. Big whoop. Predict all you want, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
If Finland doesn't win gold in Sochi I'm certainly rooting for Russians, they deserve it.
Can't argue with that logic.

No, seriously, I can't.

Last edited by fly4apuckguy: 01-03-2012 at 10:28 AM.
fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:49 AM
missinthejets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
Anyway as a slight aside, if the Russian stars were the only elite players to play in 2014 (for whatever reason) would Russian fans really care about the hockey medal?

history says they would seeing as how the soviet teams still get hyped for their wins over amateurs.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:02 PM
Zamuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovepizzaandhockey View Post
With the new age rebirth of Russian Stars coming from the 2012 and last years World Juniors, I think Russia is going to win the 2014 Olympics and possibly 2018.

On home, Big Ice (their bread and butter), and new stars emerging next year, going to be incredible.

Could Tarasenko, Yakupov, Orolov, and Andrei Vasilevski (big strech but you never know) make 2014?
You forgot Canada.

Zamuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:07 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by missinthejets View Post
history says they would seeing as how the soviet teams still get hyped for their wins over amateurs.
Hey, come on, we sent some of our finest senior men's league hockey players to those Olympics.

Of course, they were also playing amateurs who played and practiced hockey 12 months of the year as was a typical role in one's service to the army.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Garl

OP is overrating Russia for sure.

Yes, Russia will be co-favorite with Canada, since they are playing home and their biggest stars in Ovechkin, Malkin and Kovalchuk are supposed to still be in their primes.

But the reasoning from OP is really bad.

Group of Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, Orlov, Kulikov, Burmistrov, Yakupov and Grigorenko is good but Canada has a superior group and Sweden&USA both have arguably superior groups too. Canada's and probably american and swedish rosters will be more impressive in 2018.

LAst years WJC win was a big one, but Russia didn't dominate the tournament with diuble digits. They barely made it out of the group, then won against Finland in overtime, then against Sweden in shootout, and then heroics from finals. Russia won thank's to character and luck. Not thanks to their talent supriority.

Garl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:48 PM
pouskin74*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
OP is overrating Russia for sure.

Yes, Russia will be co-favorite with Canada, since they are playing home and their biggest stars in Ovechkin, Malkin and Kovalchuk are supposed to still be in their primes.

But the reasoning from OP is really bad.

Group of Tarasenko, Kuznetsov, Orlov, Kulikov, Burmistrov, Yakupov and Grigorenko is good but Canada has a superior group and Sweden&USA both have arguably superior groups too. Canada's and probably american and swedish rosters will be more impressive in 2018.

LAst years WJC win was a big one, but Russia didn't dominate the tournament with diuble digits. They barely made it out of the group, then won against Finland in overtime, then against Sweden in shootout, and then heroics from finals. Russia won thank's to character and luck. Not thanks to their talent supriority.
there is no man on earth who can predict the rosters for 2018 nor to say who is going to be stronger or with better roster! Just take a look at some threads/topics like this on HFBoards for example. Its so amusing to read some threads from 2004/2005

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Hart_House_Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOGiLNY View Post
you do realize this isn't ping pong and it takes more than 2 players to win, right?

Funniest quote of the thread!

Thanks for the laughs

Hart_House_Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:15 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
lol i know he does play for my team after all

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:24 PM
RKC

With their defense? Good luck.

RKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:36 PM
4thliner*

Does this guy realize the kind of Canadian talent there is @ 16 already tearing the CHL apart?

Hint M&Ms

Mackinnon, Monahan....go from there. Lets just even ignore the 18 year old rookie of the year this year in the NHL or the 2 sure fire top 5 pick stud dman this June.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 12:25 AM
RealHartTrophy01*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
It seems like you are looking for people to respond angrily, when in fact, most people see this thread for what it is. Nice try, though. Regardless on the purpose of this thread, you are not saying anything controversial or enlightening.

In terms of Olympics, you could have six different guys from six different nations come on here and predict his country would win the 2014 gold medal, and all of them could be right. The top 20 players from the big 6 are all close in ability. Big whoop. Predict all you want, I guess.

Can't argue with that logic.

No, seriously, I can't.
Honestly, this is the way I look at it. I'm a Team Russia fan for everything Hockey (was a huge Team Canada when Gretzky was playing) and when 80% of my friends are cheering for Canada and I make a comment like "I think Russia has the best chance winning...." they might not all agree, but we share thoughts and they learn something, I learn something.

But, it's like many of my Canadian bro's on here get angry for the simple suggestion I make, because they don't like hearing this kind of talk. If peeps want to get angry, nothing I can do. Shows a lack of character.

I know an old school Canadian Farmer (his Father, Grandfather etc, were too), they first thing he said to me was "So you think Russia is going to win today? Good team they have there." Just a friendly discussion we had, even though we are both from very different worlds. But that's the bridge. I guess it's always harder on the net to say things/ opinion the way you intend.

RealHartTrophy01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 07:39 AM
pouskin74*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC View Post
With their defense? Good luck.
that defense is not bad at all. Especcially compared to Finnland

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote