HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shakeup of roster looms as Rangers get healthier

Old
01-04-2012, 06:02 AM
reaktorblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post
You guys are ridiculous. Wolski has more talent than anyone on the 3rd and 4th lines right now, He's a slacker yes, but the talent is there. If torts didn't believe that he had "it" he would have told sather to send him packnig a long time ago.
Talent at what? Taking stupid penalties at the most inopportune of times or getting hurt and relaxing in the hot tub?

I wont disagree that Wolski can play some great hockey but he's more of a liability than an asset when he spends 2/3 of his games doing things as a detriment to the Rangers success while there are other players that seem to be more of an asset than a liability at this time, like Hagelin. In addition, Dubinsky is also starting to come around and even before he was scoreless, I'd say he still was well rounded enough to help the rest of the team do their thing.

Last edited by reaktorblue: 01-04-2012 at 06:42 AM.
reaktorblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 06:30 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Quote:
You guys are ridiculous. Wolski has more talent than anyone on the 3rd and 4th lines right now, He's a slacker yes, but the talent is there. If torts didn't believe that he had "it" he would have told sather to send him packnig a long time ago.
I agree with the premise that Wolski has the talent, the issue is that Hagelin is playing great hockey and Dubinsky seems to have found his mojo as well. So neither really should be "demoted" for a guy with "potential".

Boyle is another story, but he is winning the key defensive draws which tags him on the 3rd line especially with that great forecheck they have going there.

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 07:03 AM
azrok22

Quote:
There's a lot more to hockey than simply talent, and that's where Wolski's deficient.

Wolski was also brought back before we realized Anisimov could play on the top line LW. The only top 6 LW that we knew we had during the summer was Dubinsky. Since that time, Anisimov has cemented a spot on Stepan and Gaborik's flank, and while Dubinsky struggled, Hagelin emerged as a legitimate NHL LWer.

That's not to suggest Wolski is worthless, but there is no reason to insert him into a lineup that is working so well. I'd keep him on the sidelines until someone or the team struggles or an injury occurs.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 07:44 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

McDonagh. Girardi
Del Zotto. Sauer
Staal. Bickel
Eminger

When Sauer comes back.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
McDonagh. Girardi
Del Zotto. Sauer
Staal. Bickel
Eminger

When Sauer comes back.
Staal is not going to stay on the 3rd pair and Stralman has played well enough to have a spot over Bickel

Its going to eventually go back to
Staal, Girardi
McDonaugh, Sauer
Del Zotto, Eminger/Stralman

Bickel , Woywitka, Erixon call ups

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers4ever2007 View Post
Trade Wolski for a veteran defenseman.
I thought this made sense but when the D is healthy they have 7 NHL Dmen under contract and 3 call ups that have played this yr

The main target should be the 2nd line LW...........no rush on that though cause the team is winning and there is a chance Dubinsky can take that spot.

I liked the lines the way they ended in the winger classic with Hagelin, Boyle, Feds.......Rupp, Mitchell, Prust

I don't think any of us know when Wolski will get as host but when he does it should be on a top 2 line. He's not very helpful on a grinding bottom 6 role

EC is destined for waivers by the deadline so they can make more cap room for a potential trade

Old
01-04-2012, 09:38 AM
eco's bones

When Sauer and Eminger are back:

Girardi, McDonagh
Del Zotto, Sauer
Staal, Stralman
Eminger.

Woywitka?

Unless there is a trade Bickel goes down because 1) he can go down without passing through waivers and 2) because in a pinch he's not a guy ready to move into a top 4 spot like either Stralman or Eminger have already shown.

I like Bickel. I like the physical element he brings and I think the Rangers need that but I still don't see him replacing Stralman or Eminger. I do like him better than Woywitka. With Erixon close as well the Rangers could work a deal especially to teams hit by injuries on their blue line.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 09:47 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Eminger should be back before the trading deadline. They said 8-10 weeks. Its 3 weeks this Saturday. 8 weeks puts him 2 weeks before the deadline. 10 has him ready a few days before the deadline. Eminger had his sling removed last weekend. Two weeks ago,the Rangers said Sauer started light workouts and then he was at the facility meeting the medical staff a few days later. Staal started skating two weeks after two weeks of workouts. Sauer was on the ice for the team picture on Sunday. He was wearing his NYR sweater and jeans.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 09:49 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
He may be more talented than some of those guys, but that doesn't mean a whole lot. Wolskii is going to be ineffective on the 3rd or 4th lines. If he's not going to play on the top six he's a player without a place on this team.

01-04-2012, 09:55 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
He may be more talented than some of those guys, but that doesn't mean a whole lot. Wolskii is going to be ineffective on the 3rd or 4th lines. If he's not going to play on the top six he's a player without a place on this team.
Agreed. Wolski will get his shot, but it wont be a long audition if he doesnt succeed. Unlike a Hagelin or Dubinsky, its top 6 or bust for a player with Wolski's tools.

If I had to guess, I'd say Wolski flops - but he deserves the chance because it is a soft spot in the lineup. He has offensive skill and is playing for his NHL future over these next few months. Maybe they can catch lightning in a bottle with him - doubt it though.

Playing Hagelin in the top 6 against speedy teams and Dubinsky against rugged teams isnt the end of the world, but that spot is going to be looked at long and hard prior to the deadline.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 10:42 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Bickel is basically Sauer's replacement in the lineup. Obviously he's nowhere near as good as Sauer, but he does play a similar style game. The Rangers need him in the lineup to give our back line that nasty element that Sauer brings. Once Sauer is back, Bickel gets sent back down. Unfortunately, we have no idea when Sauer is going to be back.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Dorado*

The small doses of Bickel so far indicate he is a decent bottom pairing D Man . Straalman has upped his battle level , moves the puck both by passing and skating well . The NYR have some very tough decisions to make . I personally like an engaged Straalman and or Bickel over Stevey I hit but I fall down a lot Eminger any day . Bickels trials and tribulations and travels as a minor league pro seem to have done him justice . I can see him making Eminger replaceable with Erixon waiting in the wings

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 11:41 AM
E-Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
The small doses of Bickel so far indicate he is a decent bottom pairing D Man . Straalman has upped his battle level , moves the puck both by passing and skating well . The NYR have some very tough decisions to make . I personally like an engaged Straalman and or Bickel over Stevey I hit but I fall down a lot Eminger any day . Bickels trials and tribulations and travels as a minor league pro seem to have done him justice . I can see him making Eminger replaceable with Erixon waiting in the wings
Agreed on all points. Bickel has looked better than I expected. Seems like Sauer lite as far as talent but a little bigger and much better fighter.

E-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 12:47 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sent: Jan 4, 2012 12:38p

Torts reports that Michael Sauer (concussion) is "due to work out today...he had a good week (last week)", but has no further update

sent via TweetDeck
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/JimCerny/status/154617808578285568

Old
01-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

Torts reports that Michael Sauer (concussion) is "due to work out today...he had a good week (last week)", but has no further update

sent via TweetDeck
awesome, could be back in a few weeks if everything goes well. Bickel down, Woywitka spare

top 6 of Staal, Girardi, McDonaugh ,Sauer, Del Zotto, Stralman......then Eminger back before the deadline addds depth

Old
01-04-2012, 12:54 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

sent via TweetDeck
Nice. Hope he maintains that. No rush to get back but it'd be great to have him back in.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 01:11 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sent: Jan 4, 2012 12:40p

Torts says he's "not looking to change the lineup" even though Wojtek Wolski could play "he'll have to wait his turn"

sent via TweetDeck
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/thenyrangers status/154618152897097729

Old
01-04-2012, 01:15 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The previous is screwed up

Sent: Jan 4, 2012 12:40p

Torts says he's "not looking to change the lineup" even though Wojtek Wolski could play "he'll have to wait his turn"

sent via TweetDeck
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/JimCerny/status/154618160614608897

Old
01-04-2012, 01:19 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Todays line in practice via gross

The GAS Line
Brandon Dubinsky, Brad Richards, Ryan Callahan
Ruslan Fedotenko, Brian Boyle, Carl Hagelin
Mike Rupp, John Mitchell, Brandon Prust

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 01:35 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

No word if Sauer has skated yet. Torts said two weeks ago that Sauer had resumed light workouts. It took Staal 5 weeks to return once he started skating but his conditioning was bad not having any training camp. It shouldn't take Sauer that long to return since he played two months and didn't miss as much time as Staal. Assuming no setbacks.

Old
01-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
Todays line in practice via gross

The GAS Line
Brandon Dubinsky, Brad Richards, Ryan Callahan
Ruslan Fedotenko, Brian Boyle, Carl Hagelin
Mike Rupp, John Mitchell, Brandon Prust
Mitchell has to be the guy on the bubble as of right now. Get Wolski in and you can have Rupp center the 4th line.

01-04-2012, 01:59 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Mitchell has to be the guy on the bubble as of right now. Get Wolski in and you can have Rupp center the 4th line.
And play Wolski where?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 02:19 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

I think if anything you drop Mitchell, bump feds down to the 4th line which Rupp Centers. Then the third line would be WW-Boyle-Hagelin. I think that could work, but doesnt seem like many options.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

I've been thinking about this but nothing will shake our roster up since we just replace one injured player with the other haha. Bickel and Erixon can go back to CT while Staal is coming back. We can count ourselves lucky to have guys like Girardi, Staal, Sauer, Eminger, Del Zotto, Stralman (who has really stepped up to take his place)

Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 02:32 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
And play Wolski where?
Anisimov - Stepan - Gaborik
Wolski - Richards - Callahan
Dubinsky - Boyle - Hagelin
Fedotenko - Rupp - Prust

Dont like Wolski anywhere else in the lineup.

Mitchell goes soon. Hasnt done much to be happy about in a while.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote