HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Scott Hartnell

Old
01-04-2012, 12:50 AM
NugentHopkinsfan

vCash: 500
I have always loved Scott Hartnell, he's such a throwback hockey player. He has enough skill to play on a top line but brings that nasty and sometimes dirty edge that every team would love to have. He has been my favourite guy to watch on the 24/7 show, I loved that two hander he gave after the hit last episode.

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 12:52 AM
thesiggy

Hartnell would always mess with my emotions. He always was tough and brought grit to the team and seems like a good locker room guy but he has a high cap number 4.2 and would make stupid plays (as shown above) and take dumb penalties. I wanted him traded because I didn't feel that he was earning that money and we're a team that doesn't have a lot of cap space. This year he's played so well and has cut down on the penalties and bad plays. This is the Scott Hartnell I've been waiting for. As for him being a future captain I really like the idea I think he would do a great job.

thesiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 01:01 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
That's cute, but be real. Anyone with size and a willingness to play infront of the net with players that create as many chances as Giroux and Jagr will reap huge benefits.
If you feel like actually debating this issue, there was another thread on Hartnell a while back where I analyzed each one of his goals and the role (or lack thereof) that Giroux and Jagr played in them. Jagr and/or Giroux played prominent roles in a whopping 4 of them.

It's time to start giving Hartnell some credit... he deserves it.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 01:12 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
No chance of Hartnell ever being captain. Ever. Ever. He doesn't have "it."
What exactly is the "it" that he doesn't have?

He's a veteran. He's loved in the locker room. He's a vocal leader for the team and is ALWAYS the first guy to stick up for his teammates when he sees someone on the other team trying to start something. He can get the team energized w/ a fight, or with a goal. He ALWAYS backchecks w/ good effort and he usually ends up leading Flyer forwards in hits on a nightly basis. He's also good w/ the media. And on top of that, he's finally rounded into the forward we've wanted him to be, cutting out the dumb penalties and scoring @ a PPG pace.

He's exactly the hard-nosed, high-effort guy we need as the captain of this team.

Who else would you have as captain? Briere? Like he seriously deserves it w/ the effort he gives defensively and the way he's played overall this year?

Timonen? He's going to retire in another year or two and he's more soft-spoken around the media.

Like it or not, Hartnell is the perfect age and has the perfect personality to be the leader of this team.

I don't want Giroux anywhere near the captain role @ this point. He's too young and too good to be thrown to the media hounds of this city. Let him stay under the radar and concentrate on his game like he's doing right now. No reason to give him a title that he could care less about @ this point and throw tons of extra pressure on him.

In fact, I dunno if I ever really want Giroux to be the future captain of this team. A guy I see on the ice that just screams "future captain" is Couturier.

But like I said... that's for down the line.

For the immediate future, if we do need to name a new captain, it should be Hartnell.

Old
01-04-2012, 01:16 AM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

I can see Homer giving the C to Simmonds or someone like that in a couple years.

Old
01-04-2012, 01:20 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
What exactly is the "it" that he doesn't have?
You can't see it and I can't show it to you. Don't know how to explain, but Hartnell isn't a captain of this team.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 01:29 AM
dookie88

The way Hartnell evolved into a complete different echelon of player in front of our eyes at age 29 is spectacular.
Since Richards and Carter left he seemed to take on a leadership role and showed a level of maturity which we've never seen out of him.
He went from complementary player to focal point.

That being said, I hope we don't give him the C.
Hartnell is fine right now, nothing at all should change around him. We have something special here, let's not ruin it for a change.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 03:08 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
for this alone, he should never be the captain

but yes, he has been great this season
See? I'd go the complete opposite way, and say that's one of the reasons he should be captain.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 03:17 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
I think we should trade Harntell while his value is high. He's producing right now because he's on a line with God and Jesus Christ.

Deep down inside he's still bad at hockey.
I've wondered for years how you become an NHL player. Now I know. You have to bad at hockey. Silly me thinking you had to be good at hockey.

Scott Hartnell has scored 20+ goals in 3 of his last 4 full seasons, and has only missed 3 games in that stretch. He's also on pace for a career year this season. Dude doesn't suck as much as people like to think.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:46 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
You can't see it and I can't show it to you. Don't know how to explain, but Hartnell isn't a captain of this team.
I think I see what you're trying to say... Hartnell isn't injury-prone enough to be our captain.

Amiright?

Seriously though, that answer is the biggest cop out in the world. Being captain isn't about being the best player on your team. It's about leadership, it's about sticking up for your guys, it's about setting an example, it's about being well respected in the locker room and Hartnell has / does all of those things in spades.

Did Keith Primeau have this "it" that you're talking about? B/c he was a damn good captain IMO and he never led the team in scoring.

Scott Hartnell would be an amazing captain for this team. No doubt in my mind.

Old
01-04-2012, 09:17 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
I thought we were trading him because he wasn't good at hockey? Did I miss something?

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 09:21 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
I thought we were trading him because he wasn't good at hockey? Did I miss something?
You don't need to be good @ hockey to be the captain....

Everybody knows this!

Old
01-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Mgkibbles

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
I can see Homer giving the C to Simmonds or someone like that in a couple years.
Dovetails nicely with Ed Snider's youth hockey program and the desire to bring hockey into the inner cities and promote the sport within the black community. People can say otherwise, but I'll always believe getting Simmonds in the Richards trade amounted to something more than just happenstance.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 11:53 AM
Xegiie

tbh i didn't like idea him in line With Roo and Jagr, now i love him, go Hartsy

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 12:36 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
I think I see what you're trying to say... Hartnell isn't injury-prone enough to be our captain.

Amiright?

Seriously though, that answer is the biggest cop out in the world. Being captain isn't about being the best player on your team. It's about leadership, it's about sticking up for your guys, it's about setting an example, it's about being well respected in the locker room and Hartnell has / does all of those things in spades.

Did Keith Primeau have this "it" that you're talking about? B/c he was a damn good captain IMO and he never led the team in scoring.

Who ever said anything about offense? I certainly didn't. And yes, Keith Primeau did have "it." Hartnell on paper has most of the qualities you'd ask for in a captain, but there's just something off about him that tells me he would never be a good choice. I'd rather Max Talbot be captain than Hartnell. It's just what I see.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
I've wondered for years how you become an NHL player. Now I know. You have to bad at hockey. Silly me thinking you had to be good at hockey.

Scott Hartnell has scored 20+ goals in 3 of his last 4 full seasons, and has only missed 3 games in that stretch. He's also on pace for a career year this season. Dude doesn't suck as much as people like to think.
Good around the net, but bad at hockey. Worst skater on the team, (other than Couturier who just turned 19) no hands and scattered brained decision making with, and without the puck.

You guys can keep lauding this guy all you want for now, but when he gets dealt or taken off the Giroux and Jagr line, he'll go back to being the schlub he's been for most of his career.

Old
01-04-2012, 02:25 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Good around the net, but bad at hockey. Worst skater on the team, (other than Couturier who just turned 19) no hands and scattered brained decision making with, and without the puck.

You guys can keep lauding this guy all you want for now, but when he gets dealt or taken off the Giroux and Jagr line, he'll go back to being the schlub he's been for most of his career.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=31033

He's been a ~50 point forward since 2003. There is more to hockey than skating and making pretty plays. He plays defense pretty well, hits, fights, sticks up for his teammates, works hard along the boards, goes to the net, and scores 25ish goals a year. There's a reason he has been apart of 3 of our best lines the past few seasons.

Old
01-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=31033

He's been a ~50 point forward since 2003. There is more to hockey than skating and making pretty plays. He plays defense pretty well, hits, fights, sticks up for his teammates, works hard along the boards, goes to the net, and scores 25ish goals a year. There's a reason he has been apart of 3 of our best lines the past few seasons.
He gets slapped on the top lines so Homer doesn't look like an idiot for having a $4.2 million dollar cap hit on a 3rd line grinder. Giroux probably has an Aleve addiction at this point after having to carry this scrub all season.

Old
01-04-2012, 02:40 PM
Xegiie

Quote:
He gets slapped on the top lines so Homer doesn't look like an idiot for having a $4.2 million dollar cap hit on a 3rd line grinder. Giroux probably has an Aleve addiction at this point after having to carry this scrub all season.
nop his play just fits to G line.

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 02:42 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xegiie View Post
nop his play just fits to G line.
So does Simmonds, and Simmonds is better at hockey.

Old
01-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Yep. That's it. He's just happened to be slapped onto the 3 best lines we've had in recent years.

Why don't you look around the league at some of the contracts guys like Hartnell have? I don't necessarily agree with how much they make (my only problem with Hartnell in the past was his contract), but that's how much they make.

At this point, considering how much the cap and contracts have gone up, the amount of money he makes isn't that big of a deal.

Old
01-04-2012, 02:49 PM
Mgkibbles

Wow, glass is really half full on Hartnell. People are even defending his contract.

Old
01-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Wow, glass is really half full on Hartnell. People are even defending his contract.
Maybe you should look around the league?

Old
01-04-2012, 03:51 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
I'm guessing you don't actually play hockey much.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote