HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If we had to choose between Sergei Kostitsyn and Patric Hornqvist...

View Poll Results: Which Predator would you keep if need be?
Sergei 14 22.95%
Patric 47 77.05%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-30-2011, 02:31 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

vCash: 500
On purely talent level alone:
Wilson
Smith
Erat
Kostitsyn
Fisher
Legwand
Halischuk
Spaling
Tootoo
Hornqvist
Smithson
McGrattan

One game isn't enough for an eval on Bourque

Now ... on effectiveness and talent combined
Erat
Wilson
Legwand
Smith
Spaling
Tootoo
Fisher
Halischuk
Hornqvist
Kostitsyn

SK has a ton of talent, but, doesn't maximize it. Guys like Tootoo, Halischuk, and Spaling aren't the most gifted talentwise, but, play hard and mesh well with teammates. Hali's ES goal total is impressive considering who he's lined with most nights. Fisher is playing like crap this season. Smith and Wilson are nowhere near their ceilings yet ... a pair of dangerous, truly top six talents we get to watch grow up. Horny is a one trick pony ... he's great at that one trick, but, it dirty goals down low are all he's managed to do. Hell, I'll take 20-30 dirty goals per season from him though. Smithson and McGrattan are purely role players.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 02:34 PM
predfan24

I'd keep Horns every day of the week, month, year, decade.... I think you get the point.

SK is simply too soft and doesn't have a tenth of the heart Hornqvist does. Of course SK has more skill and more potential but anybody that has watched SK this last season and a half knows he's comfortable with his playing style. I doubt he's going to change it anytime soon. For anybody wondering how SK reacts when the going gets tough, space is limited and you have to actually man up to help your team go back and watch SK during the Vancouver series and see how he useless he was.

Horny and SK will probably put up similar point totals year in and year out with Horns having more goals and SK more assists. For this team I'll take the guy who scores more and plays every game with heart and passion. If SK ever learned to step out of his comfort zone and up his level of play I would choose him easily but I'm not holding my breath.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 02:39 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
On purely talent level alone:
Wilson
Smith
Erat
Kostitsyn
Fisher
Legwand
Halischuk
Spaling
Tootoo
Hornqvist
Smithson
McGrattan

One game isn't enough for an eval on Bourque

Now ... on effectiveness and talent combined
Erat
Wilson
Legwand
Smith
Spaling
Tootoo
Fisher
Halischuk
Hornqvist
Kostitsyn

SK has a ton of talent, but, doesn't maximize it. Guys like Tootoo, Halischuk, and Spaling aren't the most gifted talentwise, but, play hard and mesh well with teammates. Hali's ES goal total is impressive considering who he's lined with most nights. Fisher is playing like crap this season. Smith and Wilson are nowhere near their ceilings yet ... a pair of dangerous, truly top six talents we get to watch grow up. Horny is a one trick pony ... he's great at that one trick, but, it dirty goals down low are all he's managed to do. Hell, I'll take 20-30 dirty goals per season from him though. Smithson and McGrattan are purely role players.

Hornqvist for sure doesn't have great talent in the skating, stickhandling, shooting department but finding ways to score is a talent in itself.

Spaling, Halischuck, Tootoo will never score 30 goals and I doubt any will get 20 consistently.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 02:51 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Hornqvist for sure doesn't have great talent in the skating, stickhandling, shooting department but finding ways to score is a talent in itself.

Spaling, Halischuck, Tootoo will never score 30 goals and I doubt any will get 20 consistently.
We don't need those guys to score 20 consistently. If we could get 15 per from them, we're good. We really just need four of our "top" scoring guys to net 20+ in any given year ... another five or six forwards netting 15-19 and that's around 180 goals from just our top three lines. Add in 40 from the blueline and 10-15 total from the 4th line over the course of the year and the 230+ would have been around 12th in the league last year for goals scored.

Old
12-30-2011, 03:53 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Can't we just combine Hornqvist's heart, strength, and work ethic with SK's skating, passing, and shot?

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 04:18 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Can't we just combine Hornqvist's heart, strength, and work ethic with SK's skating, passing, and shot?
I'll rent the Genome Inter-grater, you go pick the guys up from the airport. Break!

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 04:29 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
If I'm combining attributes of different people I'm not using it on hockey players. So many better uses for such activity .... just sayin'

Old
12-30-2011, 05:25 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
If I'm combining attributes of different people I'm not using it on hockey players. So many better uses for such activity .... just sayin'
But we have photoshop for that

12-30-2011, 05:39 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 9000
true SK does have a nice shot, if he unleashed it every once in a while I might have voted for him.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 06:05 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
But we have photoshop for that
Photoshop won't combine the cooking ability of Julia Child, the sexual prowess of an adult film star, and the looks of a dream woman.

Old
12-30-2011, 06:29 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Hornqvist.

Preds have proven that they can't go out and pickup an SK type player. They've shown that they're not as good picking a powerforward such as Horns.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:44 AM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
You all keep talking about production from SK. Hasn't he out-produced Hornqvist since he has been here??? Here:

2011 pts: 50-SK, 48-Horn
2011 goals: 23-SK, 21-Horn
2012 pts: 18-SK, 16-Horn
2012 goals: 8-SK, 9-Horn

Btw, SK plays on the PK while Horn has never played it... You can replace grit and players that go to the net with other non-skilled guys. But you can't replace NHL skill. And SK has more NHL skill than Horn does.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:48 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
You all keep talking about production from SK. Hasn't he out-produced Hornqvist since he has been here??? Here:

2011 pts: 50-SK, 48-Horn
2011 goals: 23-SK, 21-Horn
2012 pts: 18-SK, 16-Horn
2012 goals: 8-SK, 9-Horn

Btw, SK plays on the PK while Horn has never played it... You can replace grit and players that go to the net with other non-skilled guys. But you can't replace NHL skill. And SK has more NHL skill than Horn does.
just remember until sunday SK was at 5 goals this year... so one big game has changed it from "horn has almost twice as many goals as sk this year" to "they are almost even"

and if SK would play with NHL effort night in and night out I think he would be the clear choice over Horns...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Legionnaire11

Hopefully that was the spark that gets his motor going a little more!

and to anyone who complained that he "stole" a goal from Klein. Everyone in any locker room would give up a goal to get a teammate the hat trick, no question.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:01 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
just remember until sunday SK was at 5 goals this year... so one big game has changed it from "horn has almost twice as many goals as sk this year" to "they are almost even"

and if SK would play with NHL effort night in and night out I think he would be the clear choice over Horns...
in fairness, 27 had a couple of assists, so they were tied in points

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

One thing I don't like about SK is Trotz specifically told him to shoot more this season. So what does he do? Shoots less. Though he has been shooting a lot more as of late. If he keeps that up then I'll forgive him.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:24 PM
wadesworld

Really happy for SK on the hat trick. I hope it's the catalyst that gets him going.

wadesworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 12:27 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

The big question is if SK keeps playing like he did agasint Calgary or if that effort remains as rare as spotting the Loch Ness Monster.

Old
01-03-2012, 07:22 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
The big question is if SK keeps playing like he did agasint Calgary or if that effort remains as rare as spotting the Loch Ness Monster.
Considering how he has played for the vast majority of the season I would say the safe bet is on that effort remaining a rarity. The optimistic side of me holds out hope that his game against Calgary is corner turning game, though.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 10:17 AM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
my point is that everyone says that SK's production is a rarity, yet he has better numbers since he has been here than Horn. My question is, when will Horn start producing???

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 10:47 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by utmfisher19 View Post
my point is that everyone says that SK's production is a rarity, yet he has better numbers since he has been here than Horn. My question is, when will Horn start producing???
Horn has an extra data point. He has a 30 under his belt and folowed it up with 21 last year and is on pace for about 20 this year.

SK had 23 last year but until sunday was only on pace for about 11 this year.

So right now horns has a better production track record than SK IMO, and a superior work ethic.

SK definitely has a higher ceiling if he will put out the effort and keep shooting night in and night out

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote