HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Is the AHL All-Star game relevant?

Old
01-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

vCash: 500
Is the AHL All-Star game relevant?

Well, the annual All-Star game is being played on January 30, and fan balloting for the starters begins tomorrow (1/5).

It got me to thinking, is the All-Star game even relevant or necessary in the AHL? The games gets awarded on what seems to be a fisrt-come, first served basis and has been out East every year since 2001 with the exceptions of Grand Rapids in 2004 and Manitoba in 2006. Manitoba isn't that close to the central US teams (the Midwest and Texas teams). I guess Grand Rapids is, but that is once in ten years.

This year, it is in Atlantic City, so did any team even apply for it? I'm often left to wonder how player are selected for the game, and even when they are, there are always those that get called up to their NHL team and can't play.

So, is the All-Star game necessary in the AHL?

EDIT - Title change due to poor wording on my part

Last edited by Majik1987: 01-04-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Majik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 10:53 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

No All Star Game is necessary, ask NFL fans. Nobody ever wants to watch the Pro Bowl.

It's obvious nobody pined to host it.

I also don't understand how the teams are picked. In the ECHL the top scorers almost never go, it's all about the "Prospects"

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1987 View Post
Well, the annual All-Star game is being played on January 30, and fan balloting for the starters begins tomorrow (1/5).

It got me to thinking, is the All-Star game even relevant or necessary in the AHL? The games gets awarded on what seems to be a fisrt-come, first served basis and has been out East every year since 2001 with the exceptions of Grand Rapids in 2004 and Manitoba in 2006. Manitoba isn't that close to the central US teams (the Midwest and Texas teams). I guess Grand Rapids is, but that is once in ten years.

This year, it is in Atlantic City, so did any team even apply for it? I'm often left to wonder how player are selected for the game, and even when they are, there are always those that get called up to their NHL team and can't play.

It's a pretty safe bet no team wanted to host it this season. It's also safe bet very few teams (if any) will want it next season.

It isn't out west because the host city is responsible for getting player to and from the game plus have to pay for various VIPs to attend (most based in the east) so it costs a lot more for them to host the game...like it or not logistically the east is better for costs.

From a PR perspective an ASG is necessary...in actuality no ASG is truly necessary

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 11:27 AM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

OK, I'll rephrase the question since I agree that the game isn't necessary to the whole season.

Is the All-Star game still relevant and should it be played going forward?

Old
01-04-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
OK, I'll rephrase the question since I agree that the game isn't necessary to the whole season.

[Wishy-washy answer alert]
I guess it's all in how one defines "relevant".
[/Wishy-washy answer alert]

It's on TV in a time where very few AHL games are, it gets the AHL some exposure, and it's generally a mega-huge party in the host city...if those are "relevant" I guess it still is.

Old
01-04-2012, 11:37 AM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:

No.

Next topic?

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Johnny8242

Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
Not all that relevant , no. I guess it's nice to honor those all stars.

I'm glad the ECHL Scrapped it this year.

Johnny8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 12:18 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
From a PR perspective an ASG is necessary
Why?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 12:24 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny8242 View Post
Not all that relevant , no. I guess it's nice to honor those all stars.

I'm glad the ECHL Scrapped it this year.
Did they? Shows you how much I pay attention to the ASG events. LOL. Glad we won't have that usual week long break this year then.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:56 PM
cjerina

Quote:
From a PR perspective an ASG is necessary...in actuality no ASG is truly necessary
It's probably a good marketing tool about "bla bla percentage of AHL All-Stars go on to play in the NHL", but considering the ROI for the cities (and the fact it seems NOBODY wants it), I am not sure its logistically beneficial.

As much as I think its worthless (though I do watch it), the reactions by some players about making the teams (or the time TJ Hensick drove to whatever place b/c his flight in Cleveland was delayed/canceled) makes me think that if at least the players put some interest into it, I would say it is relevant to THEM.

cjerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 01:02 PM
Rumblick

The game itself is meaningless, but it does attract sponsors and it gets people together. The interaction between the players and fans at the side events is a nice touch. A lot of fans also use it to interact with friends they don't see often enough (or at all) during the season, so it's good for that, too.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 01:13 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblick View Post
The game itself is meaningless, but it does attract sponsors and it gets people together. The interaction between the players and fans at the side events is a nice touch. A lot of fans also use it to interact with friends they don't see often enough (or at all) during the season, so it's good for that, too.
Since you brought in all that jazz I have always wondered...why don't they do it on weekends?

Old
01-04-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Why?
The AHL bills itself as the second best league in the world (if they truly are is a different debate) and it would be bad PR for them to not have one...

Old
01-04-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
Since you brought in all that jazz I have always wondered...why don't they do it on weekends?
Teams don't want to lose weekend dates for the game...

Old
01-04-2012, 01:40 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
it is, and logistically has been played on weekends ever since it was returned in '95....

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Rocko604

I'm assuming that this isn't a game that NHL pro scouts are circling on their calender. Unless it's similar to the CHL Top Prospects game, in which they're banging, crashing and even fighting, no All-Star game is relevant.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 01:54 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
I'm assuming that this isn't a game that NHL pro scouts are circling on their calender. Unless it's similar to the CHL Top Prospects game, in which they're banging, crashing and even fighting, no All-Star game is relevant.
There is definitely no banging, crashing or fighting. It's basically a goalie's worst nightmare.

Old
01-04-2012, 01:55 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
The AHL bills itself as the second best league in the world (if they truly are is a different debate) and it would be bad PR for them to not have one...
But it's a good PR move to have one at a neutral site over 100 miles from the closest AHL team because no team wants to host it?

Old
01-04-2012, 02:17 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
There is definitely no banging, crashing or fighting. It's basically a goalie's worst nightmare.
Pretty much, it's a game for the guys who generally bring their purses to the arena...

Old
01-04-2012, 02:19 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
I think by now modern society has come to terms with the idea All Star games in sports are a shell of the spot \\rt itself and are a stinkin joke.

Thye AHL and ECHL are as close as I can ever recall now. You see many vets who are one year AHL guys the next year ending up in the E.

Old
01-05-2012, 06:46 PM
adsfan

Quote:

EDIT - Title change due to poor wording on my part
Not relevant. I believe that the ASG was played in Toronto in 2007. I don't consider that to be an eastern city. They play in the same division as GR. I count 12 cities to their west, leaving 17 to the east, including Rochester.

Maybe the AHL should have a game in Chicago!

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 08:48 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
Maybe the AHL should have a game in Chicago!
I'd love it, but I know the Wolves are not interested in hosting it. I asked Wendel Young during a facebook Q&A, and he said that the team is not looking to host it. They want to focus on other things.

Old
01-05-2012, 09:34 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
I wonder when Milwaukee plans on putting in a bid for the all-star game. I know they're interested.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:44 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Majik is in the minority of diehard type people who actually wanna go to an ASG. I went to the one in Bingo, not impressed. Thank god my ticket was FREE

Old
01-05-2012, 11:30 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

I wouldn't mind seeing one.