HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toronto and Montreal: Hitting the road, need advice

Old
01-04-2012, 08:45 AM
English Ranger

vCash: 500
Toronto and Montreal: Hitting the road, need advice

Am coming over from England for the two games having managed to score tickets for them both.

Any advice on what to do in each city?

Am I OK to wear my Prust jersey in the grounds? Follow soccer at home and that would be a big no, no.

Will there be many other Rangers fans there?

cheers.

English Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 09:02 AM
NYR Viper

I would say you should be more than fine wearing your jersey. I have found that as long as you are not obnoxious and have a sense of humor you are fine pretty much anywhere.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 09:12 AM
The Mouth

People in toronto are friendly, You should have no trouble wearing your jersey, especially since they are all consumed with the Leafs and their soap opera and there isnt much hate between the teams especially since Toronto has beaten us twice this year,

Toronto

What to do.

CN tower if ya like touristy things but the wait is sometimes too long

Brass rail for adult entertainment

Gretzky's restaurant Food is no big deal in the winter but I think it's a place you got to visit

The Hockey Hall Of Fame

Young Street

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 09:15 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

^Is going to the top of CN Tower free?

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 09:17 AM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
I've been to both cities in Rangers gear and never had a problem.

01-04-2012, 09:19 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
^Is going to the top of CN Tower free?
No. They also have a pretty cool mall in TO somewhere. I can't remember the name off of the top of my head. The hockey hall of fame is a must.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 09:20 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Also everything the mouth said was spot on. Visited all those spots, would be cool for you to see. Never been to Montreal though.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 09:35 AM
skroob**

Toronto: Meh city, nice people

Montreal: Nice city, horrendous people

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 10:03 AM
beerme1

You will be fine in Toronto and will see other people wearing jerseys.
In Montreal be careful as there will be more a holes to deal with in the arena and you may only see a jersey or two.
Spoken from a Sabres fan here who has been to both places in my Sabres jersey.
I will tell you though that the experience in Montreal is the best I have ever had and I grew up in Toronto going to Maple Leaf Gardens. The ACC is meh. Bell Centre is the loudest I have experienced and it happened a dozen times in the game. We only get like that in the playoffs around here in Buffalo. It truly is an awesome place to see a game.
The hall of fame and the arena tour in Montreal are FANTASTIC and will be highlights of your trip. The hall of fame in the Bell Centre is better in some ways than the Hockey HOF in Toronto.

beerme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 10:54 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Both cities have some great restaurants.

I have a ton of family in Canada, and I'm not sure if they'd agree with my statement, but I'd agree with the above that people in Toronto are really friendly and people in Montreal are less so. A lot of that has to do with language, if you went to Montreal and spoke fluent French, you'd probably have a much different experience.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 11:25 AM
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party

The hall of fame is a must-see, and Gretzky's restaurant is ok too. It's not the finest restaurant in toronto, but the all the hockey memorabilia makes it worth seeing at least once.

Otherwise, Toronto is a very large, very active city. If you're looking for nightlife, all you have to do is leave your hotel and walk around downtown. I recommend the restaurant at The Rex hotel for great jazz music and excellent food at decent prices.

Montreal can be tough to get around if you don't know French. Sure, there are plenty of English speakers there, but I've always ended up unlucky enough that the person I needed to talk to only speaks French. If you have the time, maybe brush up on some French phrases before you go.

And wearing your jersey is definitely fine. The only North American city I would consider not wearing a jersey due to fears for my safety would be Philadelphia.

DonCherrysSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 11:34 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

In Montreal go to Jarry's Smoked Meats!

You should be fine with both crowds wearing the away jersey. There's lots of NYR fans that actually are born and raised in Montreal…. my dad was one of them.

But yea, sense of humor will pay you great dividends especially if it's a blowout either way.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 11:41 AM
jamz

dont go to Jarry's smoked meats at least try the real famous smoke meat place:

Schwartz... Looks ******, but there's ALWAYS a line-up... Best Smoked-Meat EVER!

jamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 11:57 AM
jamz

Montreal is an AMAZING city and you'll enjoy it very much I have no doubt. Dont worry about wearing your jersey as I am myself a Blueshirt fanatic living in Montreal and i've never had any trouble wearing my ranger blue in the bell center.

Dont worry about the people here. Since you're a britt, your accent will break the language barrier EASILY. We love Britts here as most of the one's we've been around are well spoken and very polite towards our language and culture. (I think it's because you Britts go crazy for poutine. lol)

The problem the other posters are referring to is mostly towards other english speaking canadians/americans coming to our city (most notably people of ontario).

As long as you are respectful and understanding towards our non-fluent english speaking residents you'll find us to be a very helpful group people.

However, if you ask anyone anything while expecting everyone to understand english and become SUPER surprised that someone might not understand english.... then it becomes quite sticky... Most people dont take to kindly to these types of reactions: ''Oh my god, does' nt anybody here speak english? People are so un-educated here....'' And we get those often... So yeah we're sensitive...

Being myself a French speaking ''Québécois''(while bilingual), I have myself often refused to speak English because of certain ways people would talk to us...

A couple of days ago, I was walking downtown when this guy with an Ontario liscence plate gets out of his car and, not knowing that me and my GF are both bilingual, says to his wife:'' Just a second honey, one of these amphibians(frog/racial slur), will know where it is.''

I've seen people insult my friends because their english wasn't perfect and so on... Just be patient and respectful and you'll see, we'll win you over.

P.S. With Britts, ''Québécois'' we just have a soft spot for you...as you have a soft spot for our poutine lol (if you want to try the BEST poutine, get in ANY cab, and ask to go to: ''La Banquise'' it's open 24Hrs/7days a week and it's finger licking good poutine!!! Everyone here knows of "La banquise")

Old
01-04-2012, 12:10 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Recently had my bachelor party up in Montreal last Labor Day Weekend.

PM me if you want that kind of advice.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 12:14 PM
jamz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

hope you went to solid gold for your sake

Old
01-04-2012, 12:21 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by skroob View Post
Toronto: Meh city, nice people

Montreal: Nice city, horrendous people
Sorry you had a hard time there. When I've been in Montreal, I've found the people to be fantastic. Probably my favourite city in North America, outside NYC.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Perfect chance to hit up both cities in 1 weekend. I would really like to do this but the weekend is not working out. Not to sure about this, but do we play a weekend set like this in canada every year where we go from mtl to toronto, because its something Id really like to do.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 02:55 PM
NYRSchrute217

I saw the Rangers play in Montreal last year. Beautiful city, hated the people though. Very obnoxious even coming from a New Yorker

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 03:22 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

thats something i need to hear.. haha

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:52 AM
English Ranger

Thanks fellas.

Looking forward to the trip even more now. Will only be my sixth and seventh games watching the Rangers live.

Cannot RUDDY wait.

Fingers crossed we own Toronto.

Old
01-05-2012, 09:53 AM
English Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamz View Post
Montreal is an AMAZING city and you'll enjoy it very much I have no doubt. Dont worry about wearing your jersey as I am myself a Blueshirt fanatic living in Montreal and i've never had any trouble wearing my ranger blue in the bell center.

Dont worry about the people here. Since you're a britt, your accent will break the language barrier EASILY. We love Britts here as most of the one's we've been around are well spoken and very polite towards our language and culture. (I think it's because you Britts go crazy for poutine. lol)

The problem the other posters are referring to is mostly towards other english speaking canadians/americans coming to our city (most notably people of ontario).

As long as you are respectful and understanding towards our non-fluent english speaking residents you'll find us to be a very helpful group people.

However, if you ask anyone anything while expecting everyone to understand english and become SUPER surprised that someone might not understand english.... then it becomes quite sticky... Most people dont take to kindly to these types of reactions: ''Oh my god, does' nt anybody here speak english? People are so un-educated here....'' And we get those often... So yeah we're sensitive...

Being myself a French speaking ''Québécois''(while bilingual), I have myself often refused to speak English because of certain ways people would talk to us...

A couple of days ago, I was walking downtown when this guy with an Ontario liscence plate gets out of his car and, not knowing that me and my GF are both bilingual, says to his wife:'' Just a second honey, one of these amphibians(frog/racial slur), will know where it is.''

I've seen people insult my friends because their english wasn't perfect and so on... Just be patient and respectful and you'll see, we'll win you over.

P.S. With Britts, ''Québécois'' we just have a soft spot for you...as you have a soft spot for our poutine lol (if you want to try the BEST poutine, get in ANY cab, and ask to go to: ''La Banquise'' it's open 24Hrs/7days a week and it's finger licking good poutine!!! Everyone here knows of "La banquise")
Already brushing up on my high school French.

One question though, and please excuse the ignorance, what is poutine?

Old
01-05-2012, 11:49 AM
beerme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ranger View Post
Already brushing up on my high school French.

One question though, and please excuse the ignorance, what is poutine?

A Canadian delicacy of french fries covered in gravy and sprinkled with cheese curds and is delicious!
Although the british way to do it might be with vineagar instead of gravy

Also my comments about wearing a jersey apply in the arena only. No issues other than good natured ribbing on the streets except at the rink pre and post game.
People in Montreal are nice enough. They are a tourist city and realize that so they generally help when needed.
Quebec City on the other hand, good luck. Miserable ******** that resent your very presence.

beerme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:15 PM
ranger_nick

downtown you have cresent street and st laurent street.

Crescent is filled with tourists and is expenisve and more english. A lot of pubs around there if you like pubs. Also dance clubs.

st.laurent which divides the city east from west has a bit of everything.

sports bars/dance clubs/good smoked meat. if you drive a little north on st laurent street, you can hit little italy for some thin crust fire cooked pizza.

Strip joints are found on both streets or close enough.

chances are you'll be staying downtown so driving to jarry smoked meat which is in the east end would not be worth it for you. i mean if you end up going to the east end for some reason like to visit the olympic stadium or some crap like that, then i guess it would be worth the smoked meat poutine. I personally would avoid the east end. its boring. I live there.

As for montrealers in gereral. i don't know, some are nice some aren't. The habs fans are definetly annoying but around downtown people are pretty cool. Don't act like a jackass and you'll be fine.

ranger_nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:30 PM
GloveSave35

We live in Cleveland so I'm always looking for friendly visitor cities to see the blueshirts in. Hoping to make it to a home game this season.

Went to a blueshirts game in Toronto 2 years ago and had a great time. Didn't hear a negative word from anyone all weekend.. and that included wearing my Rangers gear on the subway, at the game, and at the hockey hall of fame. Had a few nice fans chat me up about the trip and wish me well. Really positive experience (besides the loss in OT). Many Ranger fans in attendance.

The city is so-so. I had heard great things about Toronto but was kind of at a loss for what to do there for an entire weekend. The hockey hall of fame is a must see. Really amazing. Looking back, wish I had gone to gretzky's restaurant while there.

GloveSave35 is offline   Reply With Quote