HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Winnipeg Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation-It all goes here; Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
That is my point as well. It is good to have a plan, and be responsible, but you need to assess the situation and deviate from the plan when it makes sense.

This team is IMHO ahead of where we, and even the org. thought it would be. We have seen a correction of development and performance from players to where they could and should be. It's not smoke and mirrors, it's players playing to their potential. I think people have to re adjust their thinking of this team from a rebuilding one to one that is a developing strong team.
Indeed.

I also remember the likes of Duke, Lynk and BroFist all saying this team as it was needed a top 6 winger among some other pieces, and that this team was in all likelihood ready to make the playoffs if the proper player personnel moves were made. I agreed then, and I agree now.

To date, we've got some pretty good pieces that have helped this team achieve some success thus far, and if we had the opportunity to add a piece at the correct price, it may be a good idea. I am certainly not open to trading valuable assets like candy, but if there was a move out there that management felt was fitting, i'd certainly be open to it.

With that being said, it's also true that our prospect cupboard is quite shallow, so I can 100% see the side of the argument that says "keep our draft picks".

I really don't think there is a right or wrong answer here, to be honest. However, I will say the same thing I've said a couple times lately, and that is I do believe this team and core are ready to make the playoffs and it would be a big, big step in the right direction for them to gain valuable experience and taking that step into a winning direction and culture that making the playoffs does and can do for teams in our current situation.

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff
Old
01-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
The NHL roster has fair depth. We've little in the futures pool though and that is the point. Our prospect depth is severely lacking. The Jets identified that as a weakness and that is indeed likely why they plan to build via the draft.
Absolutely. As I said in that post you quoted,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Now, I know that circumstances do indeed play a role in what a team can give up, and it also depends on what direction the team is headed and what kind of shape they are in going forward. With us, I understand that we have a shallow prospect pool, so even giving a 2nd round pick away may not be wise in managements eyes.

With all this being said, and as I said above in another post, I don't believe there is a right or wrong answer, per say. No matter what we do, I feel confident that management will not trade off too many assets when in truth they're all about building from within.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:13 PM
Jet
Confirmed Pav Basher

Quote:
Well, the answer to that is entirely dependent upon your future expectations versus the current assets you have in house. It also depends upon whether or not you think you can sign that player, and whether or not you want to. It is too subjective to reply to.

Do you believe it a current likelihood that the Jets will make the playoffs? I ask that because I'm more 50/50 regarding that subject and as such that colors my response. I'd build assets at present if forced to make the decision though.
C'mon Gump. Re read my question. I am asking it on behalf of the current Jets with our roster and assets/ pick as they stand now. You have all the information you need to actually answer the question

01-04-2012, 12:16 PM
Jet
Confirmed Pav Basher

Quote:
It is also a fact that Detroit baked their cake with those sort of players.
Continuing with facts, the reason Detroit did that is because of an exceptional scouting staff, and great patience with projects in their system.

Lots of these beauts were very late round picks, not seconds (like for instance Zetterberg)

Old
01-04-2012, 12:16 PM
Guerzy
Global Moderator

We've reached the thread limit.

Continue on here in the new sticky thread, Part 3.

Closed Thread