HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Joel Armia - Ässät, SM-liiga

Old
01-04-2012, 12:06 AM
Juzmo
rip

vCash: 6969
Might as well...

Juzmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 05:25 AM
Spawnisen
Believe.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzmo View Post
Might as well...

That's so hot play, Power forward + Datsyuk in one play. If he only could play like that every game and every shift

Spawnisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 07:05 AM
llwyd

My god, I haven't really been paying attention to Armia. I think I'm falling in love... He's so un-Finnish: not your faithful 3rd line grinder who can work like a dog 24/7/365. Yeah, sure, needs to pay attention to some things, needs to improve, but my god, the boy is pure talent... A joy to watch those shark like finishes, he should deported from the country for not shooting into the logo.

llwyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 12:00 PM
John Druce
Flynt Flossy

Terrible timing for the stick-riding celebration by Armia.

Selfish and unclassy. And its like «Who´s celebrating now?»

Too bad, really .... I would have LOVED to see the Finns in the Final. A WC and a WJC within a year would have been something else.

John Druce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Juzmo
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Druce View Post

Too bad, really .... I would have LOVED to see the Finns in the Final. A WC and a WJC within a year would have been something else.
He said that was the dumbest things he has done in his career so far : http://sports.yahoo.com/juniorhockey...rhockey-wp5644

Old
01-04-2012, 04:53 PM
Latex*
DM is good

I thought it was hilarious, I guess he has a great sarcastic sense of humor. But who cares, he's just a kid.

No and it wasn't selfish and unclassy. You canadians need to relax about this tournament.

Latex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 05:55 PM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatexiKledjut View Post
I thought it was hilarious, I guess he has a great sarcastic sense of humor. But who cares, he's just a kid.

No and it wasn't selfish and unclassy. You canadians need to relax about this tournament.
Agreed, I think it was a superb move, he totally mocked Friberg who was going to shoot next, it could've really messed with Friberg's head (too bad it didn't), and as it was 100% intended towards Friberg, there's nothing selfish and unclassy.

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 11:26 PM
llwyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
Agreed, I think it was a superb move, he totally mocked Friberg who was going to shoot next, it could've really messed with Friberg's head (too bad it didn't), and as it was 100% intended towards Friberg, there's nothing selfish and unclassy.
I liked it too - I thought it was borderline dirty as a tactic, but I absolutely thought it was directed at Friberg. Great if somewhat aggressive thinking... Unclassy, hmm, I just don't get that point in general, but in this instance it wasn't about that anyway.

llwyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 04:54 AM
John Druce
Flynt Flossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwyd View Post
I liked it too - I thought it was borderline dirty as a tactic, but I absolutely thought it was directed at Friberg. Great if somewhat aggressive thinking... Unclassy, hmm, I just don't get that point in general, but in this instance it wasn't about that anyway.
Its unclassy because he was celebrating HIS OWN GOAL and not HIS TEAMS' WIN.

I think it puts more pressure on the Finnish goalie than Friberg.

But your right ... he's just a kid. Hindsight is 20/20.

Old
01-05-2012, 05:14 AM
walle

Quote:
The word "unclassy" doesnt exist in sweden-finland games.

walle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 05:51 AM
feffan

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
I also agree. As a swede my first thought was "Great move... Scoring a goal AND put pressure on Friberg... At worst he (Armia) doesn´t get to shoot again, because they are not gonna suspend him." Also thought it was hilarious done. My thoughts havn´t changed. It probably did affect Friberg, not enough as he´s probably to far "in the zone" scoring 9 goals in 5 games. In the end way to much is made out of it and other moves like this. Some people act as it´s worse than say a blindside hit to the head...

feffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 06:28 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
That doesn't make sense.

By that logic, noone should celebrate goal at all until the game's done and then they can go bananas if their team won?

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 07:58 AM
John Druce
Flynt Flossy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
That doesn't make sense.

By that logic, noone should celebrate goal at all until the game's done and then they can go bananas if their team won?
EXACTLY.

At least when you are in the middle of a shootout that determines a spot in a WJC gold medal game.

And there is a difference between "celebrating" a goal and "riding the stick in front of the oppositions' bench". Huge difference.

Old
01-05-2012, 08:07 AM
HSF

why would it put pressure on friberg?

if anything it would pump me and my bench to score and win to rub it into Armia's face.....

If he was the shootout winning goal then sure but it wasnt and we know what happened next

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 08:24 AM
walle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
If he was the shootout winning goal then sure but it wasnt and we know what happened next
nobody would do that after winning the game...

walle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 08:38 AM
Make

I haven't seen the celebration, but I'm happy he realizes it was dumb. I'm not a fan of rubbing it in against the opponent, but sometimes players get a bit too excited. I doubt he'll continue with it.

Make is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:33 AM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

vCash: 850
First I thought the celebration was pretty witty and funny remark, but then seeing the place where it put us, it was not such a good idea. I think it added that much more pressure for Donskoi (what the **** was he doing in the penalty shots?!) and Granlund. They both looked kinda terrified before they took their shots. I dunno, it might have added extra pressure.

Foxlockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 10:08 AM
tuozzi

First of all, I don't think the stick ride affected anyone on either team too much. They're going through so much emotions at that moment that I actually believe it when Swedes say they didn't even pay attention to it. Also, I don't really mind some friendly "rubbing it in". If that makes you freak out I think you're taking the game too seriously.

tuozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 10:18 AM
WayneBruce

As a swede I had no problem with that celebration, it just added more to the psychological battle of the shootout and made it more exciting. Hockey needs more of this, but it can´t go to far.

WayneBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlamov71 View Post
As a swede I had no problem with that celebration, it just added more to the psychological battle of the shootout and made it more exciting. Hockey needs more of this, but it can´t go to far.
This is my answer as well. I'm American though

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorhoc...rhockey-wp5644

Quote:
"That was the dumbest thing I've ever done in my hockey career," Armia, a first-rounder of the NHL's Buffalo Sabres, said. "I don't know what happened there."
A Canadian reporter said if it was any consolation, it was a nice snipe by Armia, who also scored his fifth goal of the event in the second period.

"Thanks," he said with a slight smile.

Friberg's response? "I saw it as a tribute to me," said the Anaheim Ducks draft pick, who also had the tying goal with 1:44 left in regulation.
Quote:
"I don't care about it so much," Sweden captain Johan Larsson said. "Maybe you in Canada care about it."

"I don't think we were paying that much attention to it," forward Rickard Rakell added. "After the game we had a laugh about it."
It really isn't that big of a deal at all. Kids do this, they're just having fun. We've seen Canadians do this, as well as Americans in the past in both game and shootout. Now this year we have seen other players from other countries show their excitement. I have no problem with, it looked like he was having fun and it was just some good ribbing/celebrating you might do with your friends.

Again this isn't an issue at all. If this is considered unclassay then I guess most of the past Canadian and American teams should be the kings of unclassy/selfish acts.

Fly Boy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Reikai
Neutral fan

Its Sweden vs Finland, we are old rivals... Players trying to piss eachother off isnt considered "unclassy" for me at least, it just adds something xtra to that rivalry.

Stuff like this makes hockey more interesting and entertaining, im tired of players acting so formal when they score or win a game. These juniors are hockey at its best and brought up emotions that i never have watching men's games..

I hope they had more of this in the NHL.

Reikai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 05:31 PM
Juzmo
rip

Well didn't do much in the final game and Pulkkinen's two minute shifts certainly didn't help.

In the end was selected as a top-3 player on the team in the tournament by headcoach Raimo Helminen. Tells something even though you can always argue about these things.

Old
01-05-2012, 05:35 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzmo View Post
Well didn't do much in the final game and Pulkkinen's two minute shifts certainly didn't help.

In the end was selected as a top-3 player on the team in the tournament by headcoach Raimo Helminen. Tells something even though you can always argue about these things.
Obviously Helminen doesn't understand how lazy he is.

drinking bleach irl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 05:42 PM
Juzmo
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ellis Problems View Post
Obviously Helminen doesn't understand how lazy he is.
On the other hand he was Finland's most important goalscorer, but like I said you can make a case for many to the top-3 since noone on the team was perfect.

Old
01-05-2012, 05:46 PM
fredligh

Quote:

Ye it was a rant to Friberg to get him out of balance, but then Friberg scored five hole on the finnish goalie.

fredligh is offline   Reply With Quote