HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Torts' postgame comments may be detrimental (UPDATE: Fined $30,000)

Old
01-04-2012, 07:38 PM
RinkOnEStreet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar View Post
Complete ****ing joke. What happened to free speech? He thinks the refs were ****ing terrible? So did millions of other people! You're really gonna fine a guy for speaking the opinion of millions?

Also, I could see our players "raise" the money, and get it back to Torts
Fine seems excessive, but he deserved a fine. You can't go popping off at the mouth like that, even if he was right.

But please, for the sake of the rest of us, leave free speech out of it. It is completely and totally irrelevant in this instance.

RinkOnEStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 07:39 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Hey guys, this is the NHL we're talking about:

$2,500 for a headshot.

$30,000 for voicing one's opinion.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
The fine was low to me, and he should have been suspended.

This moron can never seem to keep his big yap shut. He's a good guy, but his mouth is just too much.

Really, to all of you so appalled by his fine, the guy questioned the integrity of everything about the NHL on its biggest stage at its most important event.
He didn't just say the refs were bad, he insinuated the game could be freaking bought.
Sure we all know the refs suck, are terrible at times, but if you believe the league can be bought and that the NHL has no integrity, WTF do you even watch the games for?

What he said was classless and detrimental to hockey and the Rangers, I would have been fine with 100k and 5 games. The guy is Sean Avery behind the bench...

Okay buddy. You're usually very insightful and a good poster but this is bunk. Took you this long to attack Torts considering he's making all your 'Torts the clown" posse eat crow. The only thing that was detrimental to the game of hockey was that JOKE of a last 5 minutes. It was almost Sean Avery levels of bad. (See? I can randomly pull him out of my ass, too.)

Quote:
and I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a while to see the Rangers in the classic again.
Good. I don't want my team in a ****** gimmick with horrible refereeing.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts Kinda Guy View Post
What did Ron Wilson say? I must have missed it..
Here are Ron Wilson's comments:

Quote:
"I kind of agreed with Torts at the end and his postgame comments," Wilson said on Tuesday. "I was wondering what the heck was going on."
http://eye-on-hockey.blogs.cbssports...94626/34179127

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Someone do the kickstarter bit.

I can't.

I just wrote to the NHL.

Freaking monopoly - we need to have our voices heard.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 07:41 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Slats

Quote:
Rangers general manager Glen Sather was also very upset after I asked him about the Rangers backing up his guarantee of a victory on Sept. 26.

“I didn’t think the game would come down to that situation,” Sather said. “You see three or four calls that are enough to blow your mind…Look at all of it.”
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/r...al_on_playing/

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 07:42 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Quote:
The fine was low to me, and he should have been suspended.

This moron can never seem to keep his big yap shut. He's a good guy, but his mouth is just too much.

Really, to all of you so appalled by his fine, the guy questioned the integrity of everything about the NHL on its biggest stage at its most important event.
He didn't just say the refs were bad, he insinuated the game could be freaking bought.
Sure we all know the refs suck, are terrible at times, but if you believe the league can be bought and that the NHL has no integrity, WTF do you even watch the games for?

What he said was classless and detrimental to hockey and the Rangers, I would have been fine with 100k and 5 games. The guy is Sean Avery behind the bench...
Sorry, I disagree with you. That game was staged at the end to get it to OT and everyone in the NHL knows it. I'm glad Torts called them out on it, and called out the horrible reffing that took place. It happens way to often and needs to be addressed. I'm sick of the lackluster officiating each and every night -- and having spent nearly 500 dollars to attend the Winter Classic to see that circus happen in the end is the last straw for me.

If I had the money, I would send torts a check for 30 grand right now.

01-04-2012, 07:42 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

He publicly challenged the integrity of the sport (on the games biggest stage), and the league HATES that much worse than any cheap shot.

Basically, he challenged big business, and big business doesn't like to be challenged. They will do what they can to squelch all opposing voices.

It goes much deeper than meets the eye, trust me.

We all know the truth, and Torts spoke the truth. I believe that to be fact.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 07:43 PM
Tiki Talk
Oh Baby

As I recall, Lundqvist also commented on the officiating after the game saying he couldn't believe the calls.

Tiki Talk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 07:48 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post

Okay buddy. You're usually very insightful and a good poster but this is bunk. Took you this long to attack Torts considering he's making all your 'Torts the clown" posse eat crow. The only thing that was detrimental to the game of hockey was that JOKE of a last 5 minutes. It was almost Sean Avery levels of bad. (See? I can randomly pull him out of my ass, too.)

Good. I don't want my team in a ****** gimmick with horrible refereeing.
First, I've done nothing but praise Torts this year as he is doing a great job. The reason I think he's a clown is because he pops off like this. He's suppose to be a professional.

I have no problem giving a guy credit when its due- and he deserves the praise and credit for an magnificent start to the season, I have no doubt he will keep it up.

I'm a hockey fan though, and what you guys are forgetting is that he didn't say the reffing sucked, it did suck, he had every right to say it. But the league plays that "gimmick" of a game to grow interest in the sport. He yapps off like that and makes hockey look like the second tier sideshow sport most people already wrongly think it is. He won the freaking game. Keep it shut and address it behind closed doors if you have such an issue with it.

He told the media he thought the league was on the take, what could a coach do that is actually an more damaging to the games reputation?

Last edited by DubiDubiDoo: 01-04-2012 at 07:55 PM.
DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 07:48 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post
Basically, he challenged big business, and big business doesn't like to be challenged. They will do what they can to squelch all opposing voices.
I have a feeling Torts was forced into making a public apology, one way or the other. He isn't the type of guy that would take back comments like that, especially when they are blatantly true.

BlueShirts88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 07:50 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
Sorry, I disagree with you. That game was staged at the end to get it to OT and everyone in the NHL knows it. I'm glad Torts called them out on it, and called out the horrible reffing that took place. It happens way to often and needs to be addressed. I'm sick of the lackluster officiating each and every night -- and having spent nearly 500 dollars to attend the Winter Classic to see that circus happen in the end is the last straw for me.

If I had the money, I would send torts a check for 30 grand right now.
So your telling me you actually believe the league is a fraud that can be bought...there is no further reason to watch...

Old
01-04-2012, 07:51 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Quote:
First, I've done nothing but praise Torts this year as he is doing a great job. The reason I think he's a clown is because he pops off like this. He's suppose to be a professional.

I have no problem giving a guy credit when its due- and he deserves the praise and credit for an magnificent start to the season, I have no doubt he will keep it up.

I'm a hockey fan though, and what you guys are forgetting is that he didn't say the reffing sucked, it did suck, he had every right to say it. But the league plays that "gimmick" of a game to grow interest in the sport. He yapps off like that and makes hockey look like the second tier sideshow sport most people already wrongly think it is. He wont the freaking game. Keep it shut and address it behind closed doors if you have such an issue with it.

He told the media he thought the league was on the take, what could a coach do that is actually an more damaging to the games reputation?
How will problems like this get fixed then? Obviously there is a problem, you yourself said it. So if Torts doesn't make it public, who will?

Old
01-04-2012, 07:52 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
I have a feeling Torts was forced into making a public apology, one way or the other. He isn't the type of guy that would take back comments like that, especially when they are blatantly true.
In The interview on the Michael Kay show he sounded like he really realized it was a dumb move and that he needs to keep his mouth shut.. I'm sure he was encouraged but I doubt he was forced.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
It definitely was a forced public apology. I have no doubt Torts still believes what he said but just said this cause he had to not cause he wanted to.

I seriously would not mind opening up a paypal fund raiser and donating 1 dollar to help Torts fine lol. What he said was all true.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 07:53 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
How will problems like this get fixed then? Obviously there is a problem, you yourself said it. So if Torts doesn't make it public, who will?
I have absolutely no problem with him trashing the refereeing to high hell for an hour in his presser, they deserved it and should be called out on it. No problem there at all.

The problem is his assertion that the game could be bought which is a totally different thing, way different that calling the officials crap (which they are and were)

Old
01-04-2012, 07:54 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

I would love to punch Bettman in the face. I can't stand that guy.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 07:57 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Quote:
So your telling me you actually believe the league is a fraud that can be bought...there is no further reason to watch...
No, I do not believe the league as a whole is a fraud. But I do believe that there is a strong possibility the NHL and NBC would prefer to have an overtime to help generate interest and ratings. And that's exactly what Torterella said.

At the end of the day, the NHL is a business and is out to make money. There are countless companies out there that behave unethically, so who's to say the NHL isn't one of them?

Old
01-04-2012, 07:58 PM
luongo321

vCash: 50
Just throwing my support behind Tortorella. He may speak his mind, but he is speaking from the heart and telling the truth. Either the NHL Management is telling the refs to call games like this to keep it close or the refs have their own bias/agenda. Either way, some group of individuals need to be called out and fired on the spot. The only thing is that the people that may need to be fired are the ones running the whole show. It's too bad we don't have Toews to expose them for what they really are.

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 07:59 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Colin Campbell on $30K Tortorella fine:
Quote:
"There is no acceptable explanation or excuse for commentary challenging the integrity of the League, its officials or its broadcast partners," said NHL Senior Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell. "People can disagree with calls by officials on the ice, but even in instances of the utmost frustration there is no justification for speaking as inappropriately and irresponsibly as Mr. Tortorella did."

Old
01-04-2012, 08:03 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Coming from Campbell, one of the most incompetent of all league officials.

Whatever. Eat the 30k and keep winning, Johnny Cakes.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:04 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
No, I do not believe the league as a whole is a fraud. But I do believe that there is a strong possibility the NHL and NBC would prefer to have an overtime to help generate interest and ratings. And that's exactly what Torterella said.

At the end of the day, the NHL is a business and is out to make money. There are countless companies out there that behave unethically, so who's to say the NHL isn't one of them?
But why should anyone watch then? If on any given night or stage the game might be bought or sold, I have no reason to keep tuning in, it means the sport has no integrity.

Old
01-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Tiki Talk
Oh Baby

I can't help but to laugh any time Campbell comments on something like this. His emails (in which he was just "joking" ) was the biggest dent in the league's credibility I had ever seen - then along came the Auger incident and now this.

Tiki Talk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:05 PM
luongo321

vCash: 50
Quote:
Colin Campbell on $30K Tortorella fine:
Colin Campbell talking about integrity? Why the **** is colin campbell still around? The guy was exposed for what he really is after his stupid emails were released regarding him *****ing out a ref and wanting that ref fired for a call on his son. yikes. The nhl is such a joke.

Also, good luck to the Rangers! I hope you guys make it to the finals! Lundqvist is a beast and deserves it for all of his hard work.

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:06 PM
mike14

I'm surprised that they took the refs and NBC getting together bit so seriously. You could tell in the post game that it was very tongue-in-cheek before he moved on to the other comments.

The second he opened his mouth, Torts knew he was going to get fined, so I don't think he really minds

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote