HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torts' postgame comments may be detrimental (UPDATE: Fined $30,000)

Old
01-04-2012, 08:07 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
But why should anyone watch then? If on any given night or stage the game might be bought or sold, I have no reason to keep tuning in, it means the sport has no integrity.
It's happened, man. Look at the NBA. Should've been a HUGE scandal but because of how profitable that league is they were able to sweep it under the rug.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:07 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
Colin Campbell talking about integrity? Why the **** is colin campbell still around? The guy was exposed for what he really is after his stupid emails were released regarding him *****ing out a ref and wanting that ref fired for a call on his son. yikes. The nhl is such a joke.
I agree, the NHL is becoming the biggest joke around. The winter classic debacle just makes it 10x worse.

01-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post
Colin Campbell talking about integrity? Why the **** is colin campbell still around? The guy was exposed for what he really is after his stupid emails were released regarding him *****ing out a ref and wanting that ref fired for a call on his son. yikes. The nhl is such a joke.

Also, good luck to the Rangers! I hope you guys make it to the finals!
This

Colin "The Hypocrite" Campbell should be the LAST person to talk about integrity.

Whatever, the players and Owner/GM will take care of the BS 30k fine. And fans if needed.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:13 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Quote:
But why should anyone watch then? If on any given night or stage the game might be bought or sold, I have no reason to keep tuning in, it means the sport has no integrity.
Your right, nobody should watch it. But people will.

NyRangers88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:13 PM
nafsregnar27

Quote:
The fine was low to me, and he should have been suspended.

This moron can never seem to keep his big yap shut. He's a good guy, but his mouth is just too much.

Really, to all of you so appalled by his fine, the guy questioned the integrity of everything about the NHL on its biggest stage at its most important event.
He didn't just say the refs were bad, he insinuated the game could be freaking bought.
Sure we all know the refs suck, are terrible at times, but if you believe the league can be bought and that the NHL has no integrity, WTF do you even watch the games for?

What he said was classless and detrimental to hockey and the Rangers, I would have been fine with 100k and 5 games. The guy is Sean Avery behind the bench...
Now that's an exaggeration. You must be blind if you think the NHL is so perfect. I suggest you look up information on Ted Lindsay and you will see how horrible the NHL has been since its inception.

And we watch hockey, not for the stupid officials but for the players themselves.

nafsregnar27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:16 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
It's happened, man. Look at the NBA. Should've been a HUGE scandal but because of how profitable that league is they were able to sweep it under the rug.
I believe it could happen, but it is such a serious accusation that he can in no way prove.

If it ever did turn out to be proven, it would destroy the NHL. I truly don't believe the NHL could survive a scandal like the NBA had. Especially if its not just the refs that were in on the take, but the actual league and its television partner.

I'm trying to look at this rationally though. Why would the league really risk that?
What would the ratings have actually changed? Anyone tuning in was already tuned in, and in TV world, the 5 minute overtime and possible shootout wouldn't add much to a rating number that came in at what, 2.4??

You could seel me on the league tilting the ice a bit to keep a franchise afloat, but to sell games for ratings to broadcasters, if it was true, i'd never watch another game.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:17 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

First off, he shouldn't have apologized. You shouldn't have to apologize for calling out/questioning the league, especially when they blatantly try to undermine the intelligence of their fans and undermine the integrity of the sport.

Second, the league looks worse, like a bunch of babies that can't handle brash straight forward criticism.

Third, kudos to Torts for being man enough to swallow his pride for the good of his team, and "apologize". When he shouldn't have had to.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:18 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Even if it was the refs getting swept up in all the excitement, that last 5 minutes was atrocious.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:19 PM
bmw2004

I always pay for my mouth too. Torts said the truth and got ****ed for it. Everything he said including:" NBC got together with the refs to turn this in to the overtime game" is the truth. Most likely they did have a meeting between the NHL and NBC to discuss situation like this. Someone makes a lot of $$$$$$ under the table on these kind of sporting events.

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:20 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafsregnar21 View Post
Now that's an exaggeration. You must be blind if you think the NHL is so perfect. I suggest you look up information on Ted Lindsay and you will see how horrible the NHL has been since its inception.

And we watch hockey, not for the stupid officials but for the players themselves.
But think of what your saying. Your calling hockey the equivelent of professional wrestling. Let's not even look at it from the Rangers point of view, lets flip it. Are you telling me that the Flyers players would have no problem with the league giving them the game. That they would be ok going out there and battling for an outcome with no integrity?

Old
01-04-2012, 08:20 PM
mean machine

The officiating in that game was so bad, you'd think the nhl would take steps publicly in trying to prevent such low quality product in the future. It was an embarrassment... When people think the games are rigged, you'll destroy the fan base. The nhl HAS A TINY FAN BASE... You'd think that they'd wake up by now, but they will double down on stupid.

Hockey is the most entertaining sport BY FAR, but its in the hands of class A morons... hence, devastatingly low tv ratings...

mean machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:21 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
First off, he shouldn't have apologized. You shouldn't have to apologize for calling out/questioning the league, especially when they blatantly try to undermine the intelligence of their fans and undermine the integrity of the sport.

Second, the league looks worse, like a bunch of babies that can't handle brash straight forward criticism.
let's be honest though, he said what he said because he had too. I think if it were up to him he wouldn't have, and I'm totally fine with that.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:21 PM
Dorado*

Those comments were almost as bad as watching Bobby "'eat a Candy Bar"'Clarke break a soviets ankle , or watching Dave Schultz beat the tar out of Dale Rolfe a skill player . Torts told the truth , only guilty of bad timing and the team will work that much harder for him for it .

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:22 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Another reason I am convinced that Torts is right was because the refs were so hesitant to make any calls the entire game...I saw slashes, hooks, and interferences on both sides that were not called. And all of a sudden, with 2 minutes to go, the Rangers get penalized the way they did? A questionable minor was mysteriously changed from diving to holding the stick, to ensure a 4 on 4? A penalty shot was called on such insufficient evidence? Even the NBC and CBC broadcast teams were shocked with what unfolded.

NyRangers88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:23 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Hey guys, this is the NHL we're talking about:

$2,500 for a headshot.

$30,000 for voicing one's opinion.

torts deserved the fine.. probably shouldve gotten more to be honest. but the above that i quoted could not be further from the truth.

case in point look at the other suspensions today. bourque is out for 5 games and forfeited over $200k. the only reason why there is a $2,500 number is because of the cba. that will certainly change next september when a new cba is reached and ratified.

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:24 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Even if it was the refs getting swept up in all the excitement, that last 5 minutes was atrocious.
I completely agree with you, and I think it was a case of them getting swept up in the moment and wanting to factor in the game. I would have no problem with both of them being dismissed or demoted, yes, it was that bad....

but I refuse to believe the league can be bought until someone gives me hard proof. For every ass like campbell in the league, there are a handful or more of guys with class and integrity.

Old
01-04-2012, 08:25 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

100% in support of Torts. It's beyond believable that the NHL/NBC wanted OT to elevate excitement/interest/ratings. The calls pretty much back that up - they were some of the worst I'd ever witnessed in my life. I'm glad Torts spoke out and, if it weren't for fear that this kind of drama - if ongoing - could take the team's focus off of winning or have some kind of lingering impact, I would want Torts to pursue the issue farther. The fact that the integrity of the league is questionable AT BEST makes it very difficult for me to stomach the fact that every time I watch a game, I am supporting it.

As for why I watch? I watch because the refs and officials can't stop Gaborik from making a highlight reel play or Lundqvist from making a mind blowing save. I watch for the players. Unfortunately, I don't feel capable of boycotting the NHL because I have watched hockey my entire life and I watch it for the organic, unpredictable moments that the league CAN'T influence. If it weren't for that addiction, I wouldn't hesitate to protest the kind of potential scandal that arises from this kind of horrendously blatant officiating bias or things like Colin Campbell's email scandal.

It's really a lot like government, just on a smaller scale. There's very little accountability and even when you completely disagree with it, you end up participating anyways.

Ollie Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Krampus
Call me Nils

vCash: 420
Hypothetical: if I make it to the NHL, the first time I play the rangers (unless i am a ranger ) Brgore the game, I will meet torts (if he's still around) and hand him 30k cash

Krampus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:33 PM
luongo321

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
100% in support of Torts. It's beyond believable that the NHL/NBC wanted OT to elevate excitement/interest/ratings. The calls pretty much back that up - they were some of the worst I'd ever witnessed in my life. I'm glad Torts spoke out and, if it weren't for fear that this kind of drama - if ongoing - could take the team's focus off of winning or have some kind of lingering impact, I would want Torts to pursue the issue farther. The fact that the integrity of the league is questionable AT BEST makes it very difficult for me to stomach the fact that every time I watch a game, I am supporting it.

As for why I watch? I watch because the refs and officials can't stop Gaborik from making a highlight reel play or Lundqvist from making a mind blowing save. I watch for the players. Unfortunately, I don't feel capable of boycotting the NHL because I have watched hockey my entire life and I watch it for the organic, unpredictable moments that the league CAN'T influence. If it weren't for that addiction, I wouldn't hesitate to protest the kind of potential scandal that arises from this kind of horrendously blatant officiating bias or things like Colin Campbell's email scandal.

It's really a lot like government, just on a smaller scale. There's very little accountability and even when you completely disagree with it, you end up participating anyways.
Great post. I'm in very much the same spot as you!

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:34 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I got Torts' back.

I believe the players do to. Torts put his neck out to defend his players, and they will probably bust their hump that much harder for him.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:36 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
I believe it could happen, but it is such a serious accusation that he can in no way prove.

If it ever did turn out to be proven, it would destroy the NHL. I truly don't believe the NHL could survive a scandal like the NBA had. Especially if its not just the refs that were in on the take, but the actual league and its television partner.

I'm trying to look at this rationally though. Why would the league really risk that?
What would the ratings have actually changed? Anyone tuning in was already tuned in, and in TV world, the 5 minute overtime and possible shootout wouldn't add much to a rating number that came in at what, 2.4??

You could seel me on the league tilting the ice a bit to keep a franchise afloat, but to sell games for ratings to broadcasters, if it was true, i'd never watch another game.
I agree with alot of what you're saying but if the league can survive Eagleson and Ziegler it can survive anything.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:44 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

The fine isn't about what Tortorella said specifically, it's about the long game.

You can't have coaches, players or members of management constantly calling out the league. That PR problem would be bigger than the one-time perception that there was biased officiating and the one-time perception of what it looks like for the league to fine someone for speaking out about it.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:46 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

30k for voicing your opinion about something that was as clear as day for how badly the officiating was is an absolute joke. you know what torts shouldnt say anything he should just let it get swept under the carpet because the nhl is not allowed to be criticized under any circumstances. Ian Walsh shouldnt have been doing this game. The refs and the nhl messed up not torts.

30k and only 2500 for a headshot is quite simply put, a travesty. Campbell can go **** himself

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:47 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekz View Post
Fining coaches for speaking the truth. Yep, that should prove the NHL is 100% legit.
Damn skippy dude. The league is a** backwards because they fine players a lot less money for headshots than they do to a coach who "tells it like it is" about the officiating being a joke in a marquee event. This whole ridiculous episode will pull our team together even closer because it is crystal clear that it is "Us Against the Rest of the League." In unity there is strength; screw the league! LGR!!!

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:48 PM
gluvhand

Guys keep quotting $2500 for a head shot and hope we all believe it. What about salary lost for games missed?

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote