HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2011-2012 NBA Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2011, 08:28 AM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

vCash: 500
Fire D'Antoni.

Old
12-30-2011, 08:32 AM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
I hope some of you stayed around to watch Inside the NBA and listen to what Sir Charles just said, at around 1:38 AM.

To paraphrase (because I fully agree): The Knicks are not a very good team. They don't play any defense, they don't rebound the ball, they don't have the right players for their coach's system, and when you have both Anthony and Stoudemire on the court, your team will have no flow on the offensive end. They are ballstoppers.
I don't ever want here from him. He hates the Knicks for reasons I and no one else seems to know.

This the same clown that said the Nets were better than the Knicks last year.
I take his opinions with a grain of salt.

However he is right about this coach.

Old
12-30-2011, 09:26 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I love Chuck but it's too early to jump to conclusions. I don't understand how they don't have the right players when D'antoni made his name with Nash and Amar'e in the desert. They need a PG before we see anything of what this team can do. DWTDD won't cut it as a starter.
Key word being Nash, one of the top 5-7 point guards of all-time. How do you suppose they're going to get a permanent fix to that situation when they have HUGE dollars committed to 3 guys? Unless you're confident Baron Davis is the answer. D'Antoni's Phoenix team enjoyed their longest playoff run when Stoudemire was injured and didn't play, BTW.

Quote:
He's not an elite player. But he's a very good complementary player who brings what we should, in theory, need. But, as I said earlier, when your guards are getting **** on and he has to come up high, he doesn't have the chance to defend the paint and grab boards.

If Stat and Melo can average 9 boards a game, and Chandler averages 10, it's not a terrible weakness.
"Melo" has never averaged 9 boards a game in his life. He's never even averaged 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
I don't ever want here from him. He hates the Knicks for reasons I and no one else seems to know.

This the same clown that said the Nets were better than the Knicks last year.
I take his opinions with a grain of salt.

However he is right about this coach.
For the last decade or so, Barkley has consistently proven to be the most knowledgeable basketball analyst on TV. Year after year, he makes predictions and comments, and he's almost always right, and he absolutely doesn't shy away from making predictions and comments that may not be popular with the audience. Hell, for about 5 years, Barkley's presence as an analyst was just about the best thing the NBA had going for it, considering how dreadful the quality of the basketball being played in the league was in the early-mid part of the 2k decade. I'd challenge anyone to come up with even 5 predictions that he made that were way off, because I can rattle off about 55 that he was right on the money about.

As for disliking the Knicks, there's no mystery to why Barkley doesn't like them. They are one of the worst-run franchises in all of pro sports and have been since the late 90s, and after all that, they finally had the foundation of a winning, complete team on their hands (a team that Barkley gave constant praise to last season, BTW, before the big trade) yet they gave it all away to get one guy that is the epitome of what championship basketball isn't just so they could sell more jerseys by attracting the frontrunner market. These ****ing morons, with a team that had absolutely no problem putting points up on the board, gave away 3 starter-quality players, all of whom were capable and versatile offensive players, 2 of whom were quality perimeter defenders, for a guy who doesn't play a lick of defense and only brings the one thing they didn't need more of: scoring.

Given your view of Barkley, it's not surprising that you would jump on D'Antoni. D'Antoni is the least of the Knicks' problems. He's not the one who made that trade, he's not the one who overpaid Tyson Chandler, and no coach can force players to play defense when they don't want to.

Old
12-30-2011, 09:44 AM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

There are plenty of poorly run organizations in NBA. Barkley doesn't hate them.
So spare me with that excuse.

The coach IS a problem with this team. Everyone knows it.

Old
12-30-2011, 11:56 AM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Key word being Nash, one of the top 5-7 point guards of all-time. How do you suppose they're going to get a permanent fix to that situation when they have HUGE dollars committed to 3 guys? Unless you're confident Baron Davis is the answer. D'Antoni's Phoenix team enjoyed their longest playoff run when Stoudemire was injured and didn't play, BTW.

"Melo" has never averaged 9 boards a game in his life. He's never even averaged 8.

For the last decade or so, Barkley has consistently proven to be the most knowledgeable basketball analyst on TV. Year after year, he makes predictions and comments, and he's almost always right, and he absolutely doesn't shy away from making predictions and comments that may not be popular with the audience. Hell, for about 5 years, Barkley's presence as an analyst was just about the best thing the NBA had going for it, considering how dreadful the quality of the basketball being played in the league was in the early-mid part of the 2k decade. I'd challenge anyone to come up with even 5 predictions that he made that were way off, because I can rattle off about 55 that he was right on the money about.

As for disliking the Knicks, there's no mystery to why Barkley doesn't like them. They are one of the worst-run franchises in all of pro sports and have been since the late 90s, and after all that, they finally had the foundation of a winning, complete team on their hands (a team that Barkley gave constant praise to last season, BTW, before the big trade) yet they gave it all away to get one guy that is the epitome of what championship basketball isn't just so they could sell more jerseys by attracting the frontrunner market. These ****ing morons, with a team that had absolutely no problem putting points up on the board, gave away 3 starter-quality players, all of whom were capable and versatile offensive players, 2 of whom were quality perimeter defenders, for a guy who doesn't play a lick of defense and only brings the one thing they didn't need more of: scoring.

Given your view of Barkley, it's not surprising that you would jump on D'Antoni. D'Antoni is the least of the Knicks' problems. He's not the one who made that trade, he's not the one who overpaid Tyson Chandler, and no coach can force players to play defense when they don't want to.
We were just about .500 prior to the trade, anyways.

It's not like we were on our way to a title. Unless you think Gallo is the next Dirk, that team was a perennial 1st round exit every year.

Old
12-30-2011, 12:21 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
We were just about .500 prior to the trade, anyways.

It's not like we were on our way to a title. Unless you think Gallo is the next Dirk, that team was a perennial 1st round exit every year.
But who is talking about just that team? That team still had cap space and flexibility to add, because it already had a lot going for it. Keep that team and sign Tyson Chandler, just as an example, you suddenly have a pretty deep and versatile group of starters, with plenty more cap space to continue to add valuable role players.

Felton-Wilson Chandler-Gallinari-Stoudemire-Tyson Chandler...much better defensively than this team, and still capable of scoring the same points. Gallo will give you 15, give you a deep threat, can drive, draw fouls, get to the line, and guard most players at 2 different positions. The next Dirk? No, just a multipurpose player that most teams would love to have as a 3rd or 4th offensive option. Wilson Chandler is just 23, but he's already capable of creating offense for himself, he can get to the rim, he has a jumper, and was still very raw. Plenty of room for improvement. Can easily be a 17 or 18 ppg player. Felton, who I was not a big fan of before he came to the Knicks, really changed my opinion. He will give you 15-17 and 7 or 8 assists. He can run an offense. He's a tough defender, too. He also meshed well with Stoudemire. The fact is that team had absolutely no trouble scoring. What they needed was defense. By trading for Anthony, they got worse defensively and in many ways, worse offensively. They'll still put up a lot of points, which they were ALREADY doing, but now they have no rhythm or flow to their offense, which means good defensive teams will shut them down.

All opposing teams need to do is contain Anthony. Let him score 30 points, let Amare score 25 points. If they can't/don't/won't get other players involved, they'll lose. Maybe not to the Bobcats or the Suns, but they'll lose to every above average defensive team.

Old
12-30-2011, 12:38 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I think this team would be much better with Ray Felton.

I think you're understating how bad our guard situation is -DWTDD suddenly can't defend, Fields has sucked, our guards are just irrelevant right now.

I don't know if the Melo trade was good or not, and you know I wasn't a fan of it, but I don't know if we can say it's his fault our team is so bad defensively right now. Like I said, so far GS and the LAL did the same thing- embarrass our guards, force Chandler up high, and then get into the paint for easy points.

I don't think this team is worse than last year's non-Melo team, but it is a big problem right now that it's not BETTER with Carmelo and Chandler. We need guards. Getting rid of Ray was really bad.

Old
12-30-2011, 12:41 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Also remember we started like 3-8 last year or something...it's not the end of the world.

Old
12-30-2011, 12:49 PM
Ola

They'll turn it around!

Old
01-02-2012, 07:42 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

This is pathetic. Even with no Amare, it's the damn Raptors.

Old
01-03-2012, 01:45 AM
IBleedNYRBlue

Terrible game.

35 3pt shots? Barf.

Old
01-04-2012, 11:10 AM
IBleedNYRBlue

Looks like Amare and Shumpert will be back tonight.

Quick recovery for Shump, hope it's not too quick. We better beat the damn Bobcats tonight.

Old
01-04-2012, 01:34 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Looks like Amare and Shumpert will be back tonight.

Quick recovery for Shump, hope it's not too quick. We better beat the damn Bobcats tonight.
This is not the kind of things I hoped we'd be saying going into the season.

Old
01-04-2012, 03:46 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Baron's injury seems to be worse than we thought...

Old
01-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Kreider
My name is Nils

vCash: 50
Quote:
Baron's injury seems to be worse than we thought...

Oh god

Old
01-04-2012, 07:29 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Far from panic time, but god do they look awful. They better gel soon.

It's just pain.
Old
01-04-2012, 07:34 PM
silverfish
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Far from panic time, but god do they look awful. They better gel soon.
Some great stretches followed by awful stretches.

Shumpert came back quick and looks great out there. He'll be starting over TD soon.

Old
IBleedNYRBlue

Shump looks good.

This defense looks atrocious though.

Old
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

The offense will come back.

The defense is never coming.

Old
01-04-2012, 07:39 PM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

This team has looked good when they want to play defense.

The problem is they don't want to play defense all the time.

Old
01-04-2012, 07:43 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
The offense will come back.

The defense is never coming.
Unless Davis is healthy and motivated im not too sure.

The defense is never coming, though. 62 points to Charlotte? C'mon now..

Old
01-04-2012, 08:20 PM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

OMG. Tony Douglas sucks.

Shumpert needs to start over Fields.

Old
01-04-2012, 08:23 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
OMG. Tony Douglas sucks.

Shumpert needs to start over Fields.
TD playing this subpar and he's still been better than Amar'e, Fields, and maybe Melo and Chandler too. Shumpert has been the best Knick tonight, so much for that being a bad draft pick.

Old
01-04-2012, 08:26 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Yeah, boo TD. Let me know when Amar'e boxes somebody out (he hasn't all game) or when Carmelo plays a modicum of defense, Garden crowd.

Old
01-04-2012, 08:30 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Is it possible for Torts to coach two teams at once?

Im sure he'd get Amare/Melo to play D.

Closed Thread