HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 News Around the NHL thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2012, 04:43 PM
zeroG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
This is all absolutely false. You do not require the language. Most of the players don't speak French. The media understands english. It is discrimination because somebody cannot speak French, when it is patently not required. It is subtle, but is the very definition of discrimination.
it's absolutely true, actually.

you may not get the analogy in the UK, but imagine a business in miami requiring that an applicant be bilingual. happens all the time. it's a necessity in many fields. if a business decides that bilingualism is a job requirement and there's a reasonable justification, it's absolutely NOT discrimination. i don't care whether the players or media understand french; that's not the point. the point is that the official language of the province is french.

http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.q...age/index.html

Quote:
French is spoken in Québec and is the first language of more than 80% of the population. It is the official language and the one most often used in public life — at work, in communications, trade and business.

Québec is committed to preserving and promoting its official language. The French language is not only an essential communication tool, but is also a common symbol of belonging to Québec society.
note bolded text. that's it. no more justification is needed. this is a french province. and we're talking about the highest profile job in the province. it's more than reasonable to require the team's spokesperson to have a working knowledge of the language. IF the people were insisting on a quebecois, maybe you'd have a leg to stand on. as it is... nothing.

again, even a biased anglophone in montreal won't have any of this discrimination nonsense.

Old
01-03-2012, 08:37 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

calgary sucks.

Old
01-03-2012, 09:04 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

Washington was going to surge eventually. It was inevitable. They are simply too talented to stay down in the standings.

Old
01-03-2012, 09:14 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
Washington was going to surge eventually. It was inevitable. They are simply too talented to stay down in the standings.
stop confusing this thread with facts.

Old
01-04-2012, 09:45 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
it's absolutely true, actually.

you may not get the analogy in the UK, but imagine a business in miami requiring that an applicant be bilingual. happens all the time. it's a necessity in many fields. if a business decides that bilingualism is a job requirement and there's a reasonable justification, it's absolutely NOT discrimination. i don't care whether the players or media understand french; that's not the point. the point is that the official language of the province is french.

http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.q...age/index.html
To coach a hockey team in Montreal, French is not required. I am sorry, but i do not believe it is required in any way shape or form. At all. The coach isn't coaching the people, it is coaching the team. The team will all speak english (infact, i imagine more of the team speacvh European languages than French). To communicate and coach that team successful, i.e to do the job, French is not needed AT ALL.

Of course they will frame it in such a way to make it appear as if it is required. Yet, i imagine that to make me believe you require French to coach the Montreal Canadians successfully is about as likely as it is to tell Erik Cole to stop diving and being successful.

Old
01-04-2012, 02:10 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
To coach a hockey team in Montreal, French is not required. I am sorry, but i do not believe it is required in any way shape or form. At all. The coach isn't coaching the people, it is coaching the team. The team will all speak english (infact, i imagine more of the team speacvh European languages than French). To communicate and coach that team successful, i.e to do the job, French is not needed AT ALL.

Of course they will frame it in such a way to make it appear as if it is required. Yet, i imagine that to make me believe you require French to coach the Montreal Canadians successfully is about as likely as it is to tell Erik Cole to stop diving and being successful.
you can lead a horse to water....

Old
01-04-2012, 02:53 PM
zeroG

to be clear, i'm not saying folks can't call this situation foolish or whatever; that's a matter of opinion. personally, i find it offensive when people outside the province with no knowledge of the culture and history there call it ridiculous and that's why i've jumped into the fray. the nytimes blog rooted out all of the history and context and made a better case than i ever could from the intellectual side. if that doesn't persuade you, then you aren't going to be persuaded. and that's fine. if you want to poke fun at the club for limiting its choices (as froggy did a couple of weeks ago), that's also fine, though it's clear that there a LOT of anglophone coaches who would love the gig and would be happy to learn a little french to get it; it's happened before.

what's offensive in a different manner is calling this racism or discrimination. and i will note that even j17 dropped that charge from his last post. this is a patently false charge, as i and the anglophone montrealer have pointed out.

Old
01-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Man, Montreal STOMPED on Winnipeg. Good to see Jersey lose, too.

01-04-2012, 10:27 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Man, Montreal STOMPED on Winnipeg. Good to see Jersey lose, too.
Both results perfect.

Like many I expect Winnipeg to struggle with so many roadies left; highly concerned about the caps.

Old
01-05-2012, 02:04 PM
vipersno8

Wow, I guess ill be dodging the all-star game this year!! 4 Ottawa players and looking at the final results it was almost Sergei Gonchar as the 5th outfield player!!!!

Old
01-05-2012, 02:23 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Both results perfect.

Like many I expect Winnipeg to struggle with so many roadies left; highly concerned about the caps.
Im concerned about the Caps, but I cant wait till we are healthy, and we are battling them for the division crown. Its going to be a fun ride, and something we havent experienced since 2000. We did make the run a few years ago, but it was nothing compared to this season. If we can keep our guys relatively healthy when all the injured players are back, I expect both the Caps and Panthers to be playoff teams.

Old
01-05-2012, 02:25 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipersno8 View Post
Wow, I guess ill be dodging the all-star game this year!! 4 Ottawa players and looking at the final results it was almost Sergei Gonchar as the 5th outfield player!!!!
Yeah, that's ridiculous. Those guys haven't even been that good, a couple of them have been, but c'mon.

Old
01-06-2012, 11:54 PM
LUUUUUIS
2mins for Panthering

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...alignment.html

This scares me. I just started getting back into hockey. I hope they can come to an agreement. Time for the League to start cooperating.

Old
01-07-2012, 08:40 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiluis View Post
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...alignment.html

This scares me. I just started getting back into hockey. I hope they can come to an agreement. Time for the League to start cooperating.
This is an obvious power play by the NHLPA... which is of course what you'd want them to do if you were a player. I think what you'll see at the end of the day is the owner's promise of expansion (more player paychecks) in writing.

Hopefully the idiots on both sides don't decide to play a game of chicken again, but in this economy one hopes they wouldn't be so stupid.

Old
01-07-2012, 12:04 PM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
This is an obvious power play by the NHLPA... which is of course what you'd want them to do if you were a player. I think what you'll see at the end of the day is the owner's promise of expansion (more player paychecks) in writing.

Hopefully the idiots on both sides don't decide to play a game of chicken again, but in this economy one hopes they wouldn't be so stupid.
Could be more paychecks, but they will be smaller, i'm sure that owners will try to get same as what happened in in NBA and NFL, players' share of revenues will go down from 57% to 50%, of course if revenues continue going up future 50% could be more than today's 57%, in absolute numbers.

JOL

Old
01-11-2012, 05:04 PM
KittysGotClaws
We See Red

Wasn't exactly sure where to put this, but I thought it was worth a share.

Never understood the hate our sport takes. It's truly the most glorious game on the planet.

Old
01-11-2012, 07:58 PM
ShootIt

Great video

Old
01-11-2012, 08:27 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Fantastic video...thanks for sharing!

Old
01-12-2012, 09:21 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

TSNBobMcKenzie: Reports are that MTL has pulled Cammalleri out of the game, put him in cab to team hotel to await further instructions. Trade is possibility

Are we interested?

Old
01-12-2012, 09:32 PM
Panthers Rock
Oh...Yeah ;)

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Quote:
TSNBobMcKenzie: Reports are that MTL has pulled Cammalleri out of the game, put him in cab to team hotel to await further instructions. Trade is possibility

Are we interested?
Depends what it costs. As it stands now we don't REALLY need a center. I guess it would be nice, but I don't see where he fits in if everyone's healthy, of course that's assuming we don't send a roster player for him.

You never know, I'm sure there's some interest.

Frankly if he's getting traded because of those comments, that's a little ridiculous. Yeah he's unhappy and if he asked for a trade, that's cool. But if not, he's trying to send a message to his team that this can't continue. I can see the issue of voicing that in public, sort of calling out your teammates. It's all a matter of if you feel he's not a good locker room guy because of stuff like this. But he did apologize today because he said it in a heated, unhappy manner.

Florida Panthers: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Lottery...Winners?
Old
01-12-2012, 11:41 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Went to Calgary for Borque and other pieces involved. Agree with P-Rock

Old
01-13-2012, 12:10 AM
Holy Jokinen

Quote:

Are we interested?
The price has got to be low. At least lower than you'd thing for a goal-scorer of his caliber. It's now well-known that he doesnt wanna be there/they don't want him there. I'm not sure i want him. Then again, having another scorer would be friggin huge.

EDIT: JK, i should check twitter before posting on here.

Old
01-15-2012, 07:56 PM
FlaPanthers7

TRB has it up and if that's the deal, I'm shocked.

Old
01-15-2012, 08:07 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
TRB has it up and if that's the deal, I'm shocked.
The Camallari deal? That's been done.

Old
01-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Laus723
Future Now

OV was suspended 3 games today for a hit to the head of Michalek yesterday, meaning he'll be out for our game against him on the 1st. Here's hoping they don't get any points with him out.

Closed Thread