HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winter Classic January 2, 2012 (and scheduled events through this week)

Old
01-03-2012, 01:30 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Circle OneTimer View Post
Weren't you watching? He was taken off not long after in favor of Talbot and the line was much better with Talbot than JVR.
didnt think Talbot was out there that on the top line that much longer then JVR. Talbot got 1 more minute of ice time then JVR. Maybe I was too ticked off watching that last period to pay attention to ice time yesterday.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:40 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5872
From what I could see, it looked like there was a rotation of players on that line. Voracek was out there at least once with Giroux and Hartnell.

By the way, good thing the Winter Classic isn't today. Pure cold doesn't bother me, but it's terribly windy out there. And it was way windier inside the stadium. Wondering if they could have played the game today if they had to.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:46 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 500
Lowest rated winter classic game ever. With the two biggest television markets in the country involved.

NHL should have swallowed their pride and taken on the NFL in their last week of the season. Only two games televised per market, couple dozen teams out of playoff contention, and they wouldn't have gone head to head with the Giants game (the only game that DID matter). Instead they played on a monday, the day after a holiday, against about a dozen of the biggest college football programs in the country, all nationally televised.

And the *****ing about Briere being chosen over Giroux here is sickening.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:52 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Lowest rated winter classic game ever. With the two biggest television markets in the country involved.

NHL should have swallowed their pride and taken on the NFL in their last week of the season. Only two games televised per market, couple dozen teams out of playoff contention, and they wouldn't have gone head to head with the Giants game (the only game that DID matter). Instead they played on a monday, the day after a holiday, against about a dozen of the biggest college football programs in the country, all nationally televised.

1) Yes, New York is the biggest television market in the country, but Philly is the fifth (fourth?). Not that it matters, though, because the game still should've garnered a higher rating.
2) I agree... but there was also that whole Eagles playing a home game thing on New Years Day.
3) Giroux over Danny with the game on the line... all the time, every time.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:55 PM
Left Circle OneTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
didnt think Talbot was out there that on the top line that much longer then JVR. Talbot got 1 more minute of ice time then JVR. Maybe I was too ticked off watching that last period to pay attention to ice time yesterday.
I just don't want JVR anywhere near Giroux. Why put Giroux's career season at stake in an attempt to get JVR going? It wasn't working back when he was playing well at the beginning of the season and now that he has 3 points in his last 13 games (a lucky fluke goal against lundqvist and 2 secondary assists) i sure as hell don't want him there now.

Schenn has been so dominant on faceoffs and id rather they throw briere back to the wing and have schenn anchoring the second line (hes not putting up points but anyone who has been watching can see this guy is oozing with skill) or put schenn on giroux's wing for the time being. He looks better offensively than all our prospects so if anyone deserves the chance its him.

Left Circle OneTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 01:55 PM
laundryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by laundryman View Post
Bold prediction: Schenn scores his first goal in the Winter Classic
just saying

laundryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:24 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
1) Yes, New York is the biggest television market in the country, but Philly is the fifth (fourth?). Not that it matters, though, because the game still should've garnered a higher rating.
2) I agree... but there was also that whole Eagles playing a home game thing on New Years Day.
I think Eagles fans would have gone to the Eagles game, Flyers fans would have gone to the Flyers game, and hybrid Philly fans would have chosen the Flyers game. I had family members with Eagles tickets and they couldn't get rid of them. There was no point in going to that game. Obviously it's a different situation across the country.

Why Giroux over Danny? Because he's a better player? Better players aren't always better shootout players. It's been discussed numerous times in this thread and been ignored by most. But that's fine. Giroux would've been my 2nd choice. And when he got stopped, the same second-guessing would have occurred.

Old
01-03-2012, 02:41 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
NBC are the ones who didn't want it on New Year's Day. Remember, they're the ones who run the show. NHL may or may not care (given how lightly they schedule games on Sundays early in the year, I tend to think that they do). But NBC is part of the NFL Vicious Circle of television, they're not going head-to-head against NFL, the NHL wants the NFL to keep stadiums open for them, going up against them doesn't bode well to that. And the NHL want to keep this on NBC, not cable.

One of the reasons NBC wants the Winter Classic on New Year's Day is to go up against Bowls, not the NFL. And one of the reasons the NHL wants the Winter Classic on New Year's Day is because they found a gettable spot in the sports schedule.

Ratings are what they are, some people still had to go back to work on Monday. I don't know who did or did not have school (it's still supposed to be a holiday), but I'd say 90-95% of the people who wanted to watch found a way to do it. I think it would have made more sense to have this on New Year's Eve though.

Old
01-03-2012, 04:07 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
From what I could see, it looked like there was a rotation of players on that line. Voracek was out there at least once with Giroux and Hartnell.

By the way, good thing the Winter Classic isn't today. Pure cold doesn't bother me, but it's terribly windy out there. And it was way windier inside the stadium. Wondering if they could have played the game today if they had to.
Ummm, were you at the game yesterday? Do you not realize how windy it was yesterday down there. The flags were straight out all day.

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:27 PM
kimmofan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
Well, I trully appreciate for not singling me out. And I do consider Lavi as a good coach, but flexibility is not his forte.

As of "flip-floping", I think a lot of people (me included)has raised these concerns even in 2010, when Lavi was a "knight in a shiny armor" in Philadelphia.

I want him to succeed here, heck I need him to succeed here- I have never wanted him fired. He has brought to Philly the exciting up tempo style of hockey that the team, the fan base have bought into.

I just would like him to win more of the "mental games" against other coaches.
exactly what i've been saying, i'm not calling for lavy's head.. i just think he has things he needs to change and i would like to see him win some of these "coaching duels"

kimmofan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:49 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap Happy View Post
Ummm, were you at the game yesterday? Do you not realize how windy it was yesterday down there. The flags were straight out all day.
Yes, actually I was. The wind funneled around the stadium.

It's colder and just as windy if not more windier today. Makes it that much colder and that much more uncomfortable.

Old
01-03-2012, 07:54 PM
s3x

Quote:

It's colder and just as windy if not more windier today. Makes it that much colder and that much more uncomfortable.

I was inside the park today at 5 and just left. Watched a practice and did the public skate. Wasn't very windy inside surprisingly while it was very windy yesterday and outside the park today. Today's winds were more SWerly and blocked while yesterday's were coming out of the NW through the outfield.

s3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 08:08 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1487
More info on ratings:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...AZP_story.html

Quote:
NEW YORK — The NHL Winter Classic between the host Philadelphia Flyers and the New York Rangers was the fifth-most watched regular-season NHL game in 37 years.

New York’s 3-2 victory Monday at Citizens Bank Park, the fifth edition of the outdoor game, averaged 3.74 million viewers to NBC, according to fast national data provided by Nielsen Media Research on Tuesday.

The game produced a 2.1 rating and 4 share, tying the 2010 game. Last year’s prime time game had a 2.3 rating and 4 share. The rating this year grew every half hour from 5 p.m. EST until the end of the game.

The 2010 game, featuring the Flyers at Boston’s Fenway Park against the Bruins — the previous Winter Classic played during the afternoon — was watched by 3.68 million.
Quote:
Philadelphia led all markets with an 11.9 rating and 21 share, almost doubling the 6.0 rating and 11 in 2010, when the Flyers made their first appearance in the Winter Classic.

New York had a 4.3 rating and 9 share on Monday as the Rangers made their Winter Classic debut. That tied Washington for the fifth highest local market rating.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 12:19 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
So it was the RANGERS FAULT!

Should have never invited those punks...

Old
01-04-2012, 09:49 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Officiating.

Alright. I was drinking.

That said, the officiating was horrible. Perhaps I didn't realize just how bad things had gotten, but I just realized that Torts was fined 30,000 for his post-game remarks.

Sorry if I'm a bit late, but does anyone want to clarify things for me?

The refs were letting them play most of the game. Quite a few non-calls on both sides.

I think the biggest issues were the call on Callahan for holding the stick, which based on the replay he did. Timonen theoretically didn't really "hook" him if that's the case, but that's fine. Solid call to send both.

Then the puck got covered in the crease...which is a penalty shot.

So we got a penalty shot.

Why is there such a freaking riot going on?

Lundqvist got some quick whistles. There were TONS of non-calls, frankly far too many non-calls even though I like more open games.

I need someone to clarify what exactly is going on for me or what the issue is or what I possibly missed due to drinking (and I certainly wasn't falling over drunk or anything).

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:18 AM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Officiating.

Alright. I was drinking.

That said, the officiating was horrible. Perhaps I didn't realize just how bad things had gotten, but I just realized that Torts was fined 30,000 for his post-game remarks.

The refs were letting them play most of the game. Quite a few non-calls on both sides.

I think the biggest issues were the call on Callahan for holding the stick, which based on the replay he did. Timonen theoretically didn't really "hook" him if that's the case, but that's fine. Solid call to send both.

Lundqvist got some quick whistles. There were TONS of non-calls, frankly far too many non-calls even though I like more open games.

I need someone to clarify what exactly is going on for me or what the issue is or what I possibly missed due to drinking (and I certainly wasn't falling over drunk or anything).
it's all the magnitude of the game. the refs picked a really bad time to lose control. they made a few lousy calls (the delay of game penalty to the rangers, the quick whistles at the end of the game) and then some controversial ones. any other game and people forget about it the next day.

which is especially frustrating because the rags won. the flyers can't even rig a game right!

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:33 AM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:

I have a question for you. Maybe could you help me?

Where were you in the stands? Did you saw the game well or not at all? Where did you get your tickets? (internet?) How much does it cost for one ticket?

You would be really nice to answer me because I would like to see a Winter Classic game one day.

Lars Mon Amour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:07 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Officiating.

Alright. I was drinking.

I think the biggest missed call was Kimmo hooking Gaborik on the breakaway. I still don't think it was terrible, and all there were plenty of non-calls each way. I'm happy they let them play

Old
01-05-2012, 01:52 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

So basically there were no "issues"; no "rigging"?

The main boards seems to think that the league was purposely using the refs to push for a tie.

I saw bad officiating, and I know that the league wanted to call that penalty shot. Even so, it is still a penalty shot when someone other than the goalie covers the puck in the crease, and Callahan was certainly holding Timonen's stick while embellishing.

I mean, if they really were trying to force OT why the quick whistle when we have a wide open net and Lundqvist is sprawling?

On the main boards, if we think the officiating wasn't being particularly biased in favor of the Flyers we're "homers", so I just want to make sure everybody saw the same thing. Just because the league probably wanted the Flyers to tie it doesn't mean they gave the team an extra boost. Again, or did I miss something substantial?

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 06:45 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
I stupidly erased the alumni game from my dvr before i had a chance to watch it. Anyone know if/when it will be replayed?
I went to the game and forgot to record it. I'm equally vested in a replay. Any info if anyone hears it would be appreciated.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 05:37 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

The Phantoms' roster for the outdoor game, excluding one last scratch:

http://poststar.com/blogs/phantoms_f...9bb2963f4.html

Quote:
VOORHEES, N.J. -- The Phantoms' lineup for the AHL Outdoor Classic is nearly set after the team went through a practice Thursday afternoon at the SkateZone. Injuries haven't left coach Joe Paterson with many options.

Forwards Tom Sestio and Tye McGinn are both confirmed out with injuries, giving the Phantoms 12 healthy forwards. The only decision remains on defense, where the Phantoms have seven players to choose from.

Here's how the lineup looks:

Forwards (12): Jason Akeson, Andy Bohmbach, Tyler Brown, Denis Hamel, Shane Harper, Ben Holmstrom, Jon Kalinski, Garrett Roe, Andrew Rowe, Luke Pither, MIke Testwuide, Eric Wellwood.

Defensemen (7): Cullen Eddy, Erik Gustafsson, Dan Jancevski, Blake Kessel, Oliver Lauridsen, Brandon Manning, Kevin Marshall.

Injured scratches: Forwards -- Garrett Klotz, Tye McGinn, Tom Sestito. Defense: Oskars Bartulis.

Faced with the same options, Manning was the final scratch on Wednesday night. Paterson said he hadn't made a decision for this game as of Thursday afternoon.

Old
01-05-2012, 07:12 PM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

Quote:
So basically there were no "issues"; no "rigging"?

The main boards seems to think that the league was purposely using the refs to push for a tie.

I saw bad officiating, and I know that the league wanted to call that penalty shot. Even so, it is still a penalty shot when someone other than the goalie covers the puck in the crease, and Callahan was certainly holding Timonen's stick while embellishing.

I mean, if they really were trying to force OT why the quick whistle when we have a wide open net and Lundqvist is sprawling?

On the main boards, if we think the officiating wasn't being particularly biased in favor of the Flyers we're "homers", so I just want to make sure everybody saw the same thing. Just because the league probably wanted the Flyers to tie it doesn't mean they gave the team an extra boost. Again, or did I miss something substantial?
you just need to like, take off the orange goggles, man. take a step back and realize things for like, what they really are, you know? conspiracys are all around us, bro. the nhl makes **** tons of money every time the flyers send a game to overtime, so clearly the game was rigged from the start.

i thought you were with it, shafer.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Couturier Post

Phantoms outdoor game is tonight. Does anyone know if there is anything new about those rumors of them returning to the Philly area with a Lehigh-area arena?

Couturier Post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:13 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
I have a question for you. Maybe could you help me?

Where were you in the stands? Did you saw the game well or not at all? Where did you get your tickets? (internet?) How much does it cost for one ticket?

You would be really nice to answer me because I would like to see a Winter Classic game one day.
I was in the lower level looking straight across at the right field foul pole from the 3rd base side. I was next to the railing, and the home plate section was on the other side of it. Seeing the game was ok, I looked up at the jumbotron a lot, but I also could see the puck.

I got my seats because I was a STH, there was no general sale. $189 per seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couturier Post View Post
Phantoms outdoor game is tonight. Does anyone know if there is anything new about those rumors of them returning to the Philly area with a Lehigh-area arena?
I think they finally got the green light, or they're about too soon.

Old
01-06-2012, 10:22 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couturier Post View Post
This was the last I saw, late December...

Quote:
According to two Pennsylvania newspapers, the owners of the Adirondack Phantoms signed a 29-year lease for a planned arena in Allentown on Wednesday.

Per The Express-Times of Easton, the Brooks Group will invest $33.5 million in the project over the course of the lease. That includes $6.7 million in rent payments over 29 years, an $8 million capital contribution, $500,000 annually for capital improvements and an annual payment of $100,000 for city services.

The Express-Times reported that the Brooks Group will receive all revenue from advertising and sales of tickets, food, concessions, and has the option of purchasing the arena when the lease ends.

The proposed arena will seat 8,500 and is projected to cost $157.9 million, according to The Morning Call of Allentown.
Read more: http://poststar.com/sports/phantoms-...#ixzz1ihCitI00