HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Brayden Schenn (Carolina)

Old
01-04-2012, 09:12 PM
WeekendAtBernies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkFlyerFan View Post
Rather have Schenn then Skinner. So I personally wouldn't do that
Oh boy.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 09:16 PM
NewYorkFlyerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
Oh boy.
Let me clarify.

A.) I'm not saying that Schenn is better then Skinner right now.
B.)Ok I value centers more then wingers and Schenn has great potential. Dudes played 10 games and people seem to be ready to give up on him. I'd rather hang onto him and give him more time to see what kind of player he is.
C.) Skinners a really good player but I don't think he's worth trading that many pieces for. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by NewYorkFlyerFan: 01-04-2012 at 09:35 PM.
NewYorkFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 09:38 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkFlyerFan View Post
A.) I'm not saying that Schenn is better then Skinner right now.
B.)Ok I value centers more then wingers and Schenn has great potential. Dudes played 10 games and people seem to be ready to give up on him. I'd rather hang onto him and give him more time to see what kind of player he is.
C.) Skinners a really good player but I don't think he's worth trading that many major pieces.
I'm not ready to give up on Schenn either... trading him for Jeff Skinner isn't "giving up on him". It's saying "wow, I'm getting really, really good value here, I'm trading a 20 year old prospect for a 19 year old established LW who scored 30-30 in his rookie year and has some of the most freakish skating ability / edge work in the NHL."

You want the perfect long-term partner for Claude Giroux? Skinner is that man IMO.

Old
01-04-2012, 10:27 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
I'm not ready to give up on Schenn either... trading him for Jeff Skinner isn't "giving up on him". It's saying "wow, I'm getting really, really good value here, I'm trading a 20 year old prospect for a 19 year old established LW who scored 30-30 in his rookie year and has some of the most freakish skating ability / edge work in the NHL."

You want the perfect long-term partner for Claude Giroux? Skinner is that man IMO.
i kind of disagree with that last bit.

jeff skinner is a great player, don't get me wrong, and will be a great player for a long time in the NHL, but i don't think he'd be an ideal partner for G. He is a small guy who relies a lot on speed and wants the puck at the blue line to take the outside and then cut across the slot, Giroux needs a big bodied winger with a nasty shot who can create his own space and set up top circle or in the slot and wait for a G patented ridiculous pass.

i would say that a guy like Iginla would be more of a perfect winger for Claude. obviously not long term, and no im not saying that i think we should trade for iginla, im just making a point.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 10:31 PM
2 12 oz Drinks
Or Less

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort Sampson View Post
So Schenn for two UFAs?

Pass. The Flyers should just hold onto their players and try to add Gleason with an offer, not a trade.

I don't think Schenn is the player you should be going after. From what I've seen, the Canes need an offensive presence every night. Schenn isn't that type of player yet. That's why the trade value is probably off somewhat.
I said Ruutu plus some additions which can mean picks, prospects or whatever. I know 2 UFAs would be dumb for you. I'm honestly trying to think about the other side too.

You're right, we do need that kind of presence but to get that now we'd probably have to give up someone we are not willing to give up ex: Brandon Sutter, Jeff Skinner, Joni Pitkanen. Plus Peter Karmanos refuses to spend money on top name players.

As I said earlier, I didn't know much about him and was simply trying to judge his value and now I have a better idea

Last edited by 2 12 oz Drinks: 01-04-2012 at 10:40 PM.
2 12 oz Drinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 10:35 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post

jeff skinner is a great player, don't get me wrong, and will be a great player for a long time in the NHL, but i don't think he'd be an ideal partner for G. He is a small guy who relies a lot on speed and wants the puck at the blue line to take the outside and then cut across the slot, Giroux needs a big bodied winger with a nasty shot who can create his own space and set up top circle or in the slot and wait for a G patented ridiculous pass.

i would say that a guy like Iginla would be more of a perfect winger for Claude. obviously not long term, and no im not saying that i think we should trade for iginla, im just making a point.
Understood.

I agree w/ what you're saying, I just think G, Hartsy, Skinner would be a pretty sick line.

As far as the true "perfect" winger for Giroux, I believe I've already made my opinion known that I believe Giroux would turn Alex Semin back into a 40g scorer, but my opinion wasn't shared by many around here .

I do hope the Flyers at least kick the tires there though... I think having a linemate like Giroux could reinvigorate Semin. And if he were to give max effort on Giroux's wing, he could pot 50g... like I said, that wrist shot is ridiculous.

If he commands a salary around what he's making now, it's an obvious no, but if he comes down in price, it'd be hard to say no...

Old
01-04-2012, 10:37 PM
2 12 oz Drinks
Or Less

Quote:

Hit the nail on the head here. Skinner is more of a goal scorer, he's not the kind of guy you want to try to set up someone, he is the type to steal the show which is why he doesn't play well with Staal. While he is a heck of a player you really need someone more physical to play with Giroux.

Haha you have no idea how much I wish we could have Giroux back here. You've really got top talent there. I promise you won't see any crazy offers from me though. We've gotten enough of those from leafs fans. Ex: Grabovski + 2nd for Staal

Old
01-04-2012, 10:39 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Understood.

I agree w/ what you're saying, I just think G, Hartsy, Skinner would be a pretty sick line.

As far as the true "perfect" winger for Giroux, I believe I've already made my opinion known that I believe Giroux would turn Alex Semin back into a 40g scorer, but my opinion wasn't shared by many around here .

I do hope the Flyers at least kick the tires there though... I think having a linemate like Giroux could reinvigorate Semin. And if he were to give max effort on Giroux's wing, he could pot 50g... like I said, that wrist shot is ridiculous.

If he commands a salary around what he's making now, it's an obvious no, but if he comes down in price, it'd be hard to say no...
Semin could be an interesting idea.

50 goals may be a bit of a stretch, but i think he could probably hit 40 with G.

However, there's an equal chance that he could continue his lackluster and lazy habits and become another questionable signing for us, which is something we don't need, and i don't know if i'd be willing to take that chance if i were Homer.

his shot is pretty ridiculous though.

how about a guy like Bobby Ryan? i think he's also a guy who could become a great linemate for G. he doesnt have the best shot ever, but it's good enough, and he's a big framed guy.

i think i would just love to see a hometown boy wearing the orange and black.

Old
01-04-2012, 11:46 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Close this thread. The Flyers aren't trading Schenn to Carolina for a rental like Gleason. For Gleason they can have Marshall and a 2nd.

And Carolina isn't trading Skinner.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:59 AM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

to

Pitkanen + Ward

to

Bryzgalov + Schenn + 1st 2013

We really need to get rid of the Bryz Contract. I donīt want him to leave because of his effort at the moment... only because of his contract. So i would throw Schenn and a 1st in it.

Ward would be the perfect fit, and Pitkanen has a lot of upside in my opinion. But i donīt think he can solve our #1 D problem. But he will be a good first step.

flame me pls ;D

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:46 AM
phlocky

The only way that the Canes could get Schenn out of Philly would be for either Skinner (never gonna happen) or their 2012 1st (very unlikely). Even if the Canes turn their season around it's likely that they still have a top 10 pick in this years draft. THAT kind of pick would most likely permit the flyers to draft the type of dman they'd be looking for if they were to move ANY of their young top-end talent forwards (JVR, voracek, Schenn or Couturier, Giroux doesn't get moved for ANYONE).

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 06:01 AM
Mkoll
Inkvisiittori

vCash: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
(JVR, voracek, Schenn or Couturier, Giroux doesn't get moved for ANYONE).
Considering the same was said about Carter and Richards, can we really make these guarantees anymore? This season perhaps, but given what happened this past off season, anything can happen.

Mkoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:38 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmanrulez View Post
to

Pitkanen + Ward

to

Bryzgalov + Schenn + 1st 2013

We really need to get rid of the Bryz Contract. I donīt want him to leave because of his effort at the moment... only because of his contract. So i would throw Schenn and a 1st in it.

Ward would be the perfect fit, and Pitkanen has a lot of upside in my opinion. But i donīt think he can solve our #1 D problem. But he will be a good first step.

flame me pls ;D
really man?

you want to give up our top prospect and a 1st that we need to try and draft a blue chip defenseman, because you want to drop a bad contract?

yes, ward is a great goaltender, but pitkanen is another 3/4 type defenseman, which is exactly what we don't need another of.

and the calling for Bryzgalov's head i getting insane. it's been 37 games. he hasn't played well, i get it, but it's his first half of a season in a new city with a new team who plays probably the exact opposite of the system that the Yotes do.

Bryz has proven how good of a goaltender he is for numerous seasons. i have confidence that he will turn it around.

Old
01-05-2012, 12:07 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Bryzgalov for Gleason and Ward....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

Quote:
I hate his contract!! Like Prongers!! Itīs not about his play right now!!

Old
01-05-2012, 12:09 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Bryzgalov for Gleason and Ward....
i'd report holmgren for robbery

Old
01-05-2012, 12:11 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
i'd report holmgren for robbery
Double Jeopardy...already robbed Columbus

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:11 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
I hate his contract!! Like Prongers!! Itīs not about his play right now!!
so if he bounces back and plays incredible the 2nd half of the season, takes us deep into the playoffs and has a stellar season next year, you'd still want to drop his contract?

What you're claiming doesn't make any sense. a player is given a contract based on their play. There are bad contracts given to players who don't deserve them, but that would suggest a drop in performance. Under your reasoning, we should just trade all of our players for players with more favorable contracts, regardless of how good they actually are.

I think raffi torres is only making 1.75 for the next 2 seasons, we should give the yotes hartnell for him.

Old
01-05-2012, 02:09 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
so if he bounces back and plays incredible the 2nd half of the season, takes us deep into the playoffs and has a stellar season next year, you'd still want to drop his contract?

What you're claiming doesn't make any sense. a player is given a contract based on their play. There are bad contracts given to players who don't deserve them, but that would suggest a drop in performance. Under your reasoning, we should just trade all of our players for players with more favorable contracts, regardless of how good they actually are.

I think raffi torres is only making 1.75 for the next 2 seasons, we should give the yotes hartnell for him.
Go read his comments in the other Schenn thread. He thinks Schenn is an underperforming scrub because he isn't putting up Richards numbers (not that he even knew that Richards wasn't consistently good till he was 23).

So he basically thinks we're trading 2 scrubs and a 1st for Ward + Pitkanen.

He's honestly not worth the time.

Bryzgalov under-performing contract, 20 year olds not putting up at least a point per game... OH NOES!!!!

Quick, trade them all!!!!

Sky is falling!!!!!

Last edited by WeekendAtBernies: 01-05-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old
01-05-2012, 02:41 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
(not that he even knew that Richards sucked till he was 23).
Where did you possibly get that impression from? Richards had a great rookie year, a solid second year even though he had injuries and a great third year.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:49 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Where did you possibly get that impression from? Richards had a great rookie year, a solid second year even though he had injuries and a great third year.
Ok, I didn't mean "sucked" but I meant he didn't become a consistently great player until his age 23 season.

Ironmanrulez here has been ragging on Schenn non stop for not showing us more @ the ripe old age of 20 and that's ridiculous. There are plenty of flat out studs in this league who only had 30-40 points or some even less during their age 20 seasons. Richards was one of them.

It's just such a joke that people are throwing Schenn into proposals for nothing now. Really, really frustrating to see.

Old
01-05-2012, 02:52 PM
2 12 oz Drinks
Or Less

Quote:
really man?

you want to give up our top prospect and a 1st that we need to try and draft a blue chip defenseman, because you want to drop a bad contract?

yes, ward is a great goaltender, but pitkanen is another 3/4 type defenseman, which is exactly what we don't need another of.

and the calling for Bryzgalov's head i getting insane. it's been 37 games. he hasn't played well, i get it, but it's his first half of a season in a new city with a new team who plays probably the exact opposite of the system that the Yotes do.

Bryz has proven how good of a goaltender he is for numerous seasons. i have confidence that he will turn it around.
Not defending this deal but Pitkanen had been playing pretty great until he got a concussion and had to have knee surgery. There's just no way we would do this deal.

I've been saying the same thing about Bryz. It takes longer for a goalie to adjust usually and Phoenix and Philly are polar opposites when it comes to hockey.

Old
01-05-2012, 03:28 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan793 View Post
Not defending this deal but Pitkanen had been playing pretty great until he got a concussion and had to have knee surgery. There's just no way we would do this deal.

I've been saying the same thing about Bryz. It takes longer for a goalie to adjust usually and Phoenix and Philly are polar opposites when it comes to hockey.
We had Joni. I don't think they'd take him back here, he couldn't handle the pressure. I like Joni, but he's not the type we need here.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:45 PM
2 12 oz Drinks
Or Less

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0otnSc0re View Post
We had Joni. I don't think they'd take him back here, he couldn't handle the pressure. I like Joni, but he's not the type we need here.
Oh don't get my wrong, I'm not saying you should, just saying that he had been playing some of his best hockey.

I remember when he was with Philly. I think he is better now, but I definitely can't blame you for not wanting him back

Old
01-06-2012, 02:06 AM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

Quote:

So Ward for Bryz is like Hartnell for Torres?? Yeah really smart....

I only hate long contracts... What isnīt understandable? And Bryzgalov must outplay his own career to be worth this contract. And i doubt, heīs able to do this... So if we can get rid of his contract we are winner. Especially if we get Ward instead of him!