HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

v17| Lol Rasual Butler

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2012, 08:18 PM
andrewmn

vCash: 500
The most fun I've had watching the Raps in ages. They won me back..

Actually seeing defense is like water for a man lost in the desert.

Old
01-04-2012, 08:18 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
He has as many 3s tonight as he had all of last season. And in 44 fewer attempts, too. And I don't mean collectively for the season including tonight. I mean just tonight.
The improvements he's made to his game over the past couple of years has been unbelievable.

Hard work paying off!

Old
01-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Great game.

Good to see Bargnani and DeRozan do well.

Old
01-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
Yay! We destroyed the Cavs. Great game from Bargnani, DeMar and Calderon.
Those 3 players have been outstanding all year.

Old
01-04-2012, 08:21 PM
Buddio
CFC

vCash: 900
Great game for the Raps. As others have said, Bargs looks like a totally diffrent person out there. It looks like he improves every game this season.

Old
01-04-2012, 08:21 PM
Buddio
CFC

vCash: 900
And the Cavs went 29%

Old
01-04-2012, 08:22 PM
Stats01

Bargs giving big props to the D so far this season! Big improvements already. Wow, to be honest I am kind of shocked with the difference this team has played so far this season compared to last year. Just goes to show you what a real coach and staff is capable of doing. With all do respect to Jay Triano he is just not an NBA coach and probably will never will be. Good job so far from Dwane Casey.

Old
01-04-2012, 08:23 PM
SuperSaiyanBeastmode

.500 now, the sky is falling? Maybe were actually pushing for a top 10 pick, rather than top 5? If bargs becomes nowitzki lite, then maybe we'll be pretenders until valanciunas reaches his potential.

Old
01-04-2012, 08:27 PM
andrewmn

The theme of the season seems to be the extra time being put in by players & coaches.

They've been bringing it up on the broadcasts and I am loving it. Gotta love a solid work ethic being installed.

Old
01-04-2012, 08:32 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Raps D this season:

@ Cle: 96 pts allowed, 41.2% shooting
vs Ind: 90 pts allowed, 39.5% shooting
@ Dal: 99 pts allowed, 44.4% shooting
@ Orl: 102 pts allowed, 49.3% shooting
@ NYK: 85 pts allowed, 35.9% shooting
vs Cle: 77 pts allowed, 29.6% shooting

Only 1 game where the opposition got more than 100, and no game where they were 50% from the field. Toronto is 8th in the league in opposing FG% with an average of 41.9 (likely not including tonight)

considering where the team was last year, that's a ridiculous improvement.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
01-04-2012, 09:00 PM
Stan Dupcomic
Thank you come again

It was the Cavaliers but nice to see Bargnani proving the haters wrong.

Old
01-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Raps D this season:

@ Cle: 96 pts allowed, 41.2% shooting
vs Ind: 90 pts allowed, 39.5% shooting
@ Dal: 99 pts allowed, 44.4% shooting
@ Orl: 102 pts allowed, 49.3% shooting
@ NYK: 85 pts allowed, 35.9% shooting
vs Cle: 77 pts allowed, 29.6% shooting

Only 1 game where the opposition got more than 100, and no game where they were 50% from the field. Toronto is 8th in the league in opposing FG% with an average of 41.9 (likely not including tonight)

considering where the team was last year, that's a ridiculous improvement.
^ This

Old
01-04-2012, 09:13 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 950
Great game !!!

Thank you , thank you , thank you , thank you , thank you Casey . Your coaching has been a breath of resh air .

It's a freaking pleasure to watch the Raps this year , win or lose .

Huge game for Bargs , the big guys making it look easy . It's also not just his scoring but his vision and passing have been excellent . He's making everyone around him better .

Great 3 pt shooting from DD , it's an unbelievable improvement . Just don't fall in love with it . He's at his best when he's getting the ball on a cut and attacking the rim .

Another strong game from Jose , he just has to remember to keep Bargs and DD well fed because those are our 2 main options . Sometimes thay go to long between touches

Overall a solid game on D , there were breakdowns but at least the efforts there .

I wanted to stay positive but i gotta say it , Butler pissing me off .

Any way good work guys and keep it up .

Old
01-04-2012, 10:02 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSaiyanBeastmode View Post
.500 now, the sky is falling? Maybe were actually pushing for a top 10 pick, rather than top 5? If bargs becomes nowitzki lite, then maybe we'll be pretenders until valanciunas reaches his potential.
It's nice to see DeMar and Bargs developing, but maybe the Raps should have kept Triano for one extra season...I was full on the tank bandwagon and I'd hate to see the Raps finish 9th in the east this year.

Hell, even if they made the playoffs as the 8th seed, getting destroyed by Miami isn't something I'd relish to watch.

Old
01-04-2012, 10:32 PM
SuperSaiyanBeastmode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
It's nice to see DeMar and Bargs developing, but maybe the Raps should have kept Triano for one extra season...I was full on the tank bandwagon and I'd hate to see the Raps finish 9th in the east this year.

Hell, even if they made the playoffs as the 8th seed, getting destroyed by Miami isn't something I'd relish to watch.
if we can make the playoffs, and have an elite prospect come over next year, I won't be mad. 9th won't be that bad, though. Colangelo has picked a solid player the last 3 years, and has a very good record in drafting players, and has even drafted a Stoudemire, Marion, and Deng(two legit starting SF's and a star PF). I'm sure if he drafts a SF or PG, he'll be serviceable or be the last piece to make us a good team(especially as this is supposed to be a great draft).

Old
01-04-2012, 10:43 PM
Hyperglide

Calderon is 3rd in the league in assists and averaging 10 a game and averaging just over 12 points a game. Holy!! His assists per turnover rate is number one in the league at a whopping, get this, an even 6 to 1. Fountain of youth much? Whoever his strength and conditioning coach is should get a raise. Hell he even drove to the bucket and got a lay-up. Also shut down Kyrie twice too in about a week and a half. Ya ya he's a rookie... lol.

Demar DeRainingthrees is shooting over 60% from threes and he got the same amount in just this one game then he did all of last season.

Andrea Beastnani is playing D, grabbing boards and had over 30 points on only 16 shot attempts and all in under 35 minutes played!

Most impressive is the Raps kept the Cavs under 30% from the field.

Louis Gossett eat your heart out:

Future ain't looking so bad.

Old
01-04-2012, 11:15 PM
9DiGiT-CODE

Is anyone else sick of Leo and Jack constantly talking about the development of Andrea Bargnani?! I understand he's still pretty young but for **** sakes, the man has been in the league for six years now. He is what he is.

He's not great, but he's certainly not bad either. Does he have room for improvement? Sure.

They (Leo and Jack... Leo especially)just pump him up way too much.

Enough!

Old
01-04-2012, 11:26 PM
LolungoReboundo
LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs

Well this has been a pleasant surprise

Old
01-04-2012, 11:53 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9DiGiT-CODE View Post
Is anyone else sick of Leo and Jack constantly talking about the development of Andrea Bargnani?! I understand he's still pretty young but for **** sakes, the man has been in the league for six years now. He is what he is.

He's not great, but he's certainly not bad either. Does he have room for improvement? Sure.

They (Leo and Jack... Leo especially)just pump him up way too much.

Enough!
Basketball isn't like hockey. Players can keep developing well into their 30's if they practice hard and get lots of repetition.

Andrea has clearly worked on his perimeter game. He is just toying with guys out there and blowing by them at will. Way different then the guy that just used to stand out there and shoot long jumpers all game.

Old
01-05-2012, 01:05 AM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
Basketball isn't like hockey. Players can keep developing well into their 30's if they practice hard and get lots of repetition.

Andrea has clearly worked on his perimeter game. He is just toying with guys out there and blowing by them at will. Way different then the guy that just used to stand out there and shoot long jumpers all game.
I kind of agree with both of you. To an extent, players are what they are 3-5 years into the league with regards to physical skills and certain things that seem to be based largely on natural talent (playmaking ability, higher level ball-handling, even the ability to get to the rim with ahtleticism). But there are also a lot of skills based on repetition and work that can be improved, like shooting, or post moves, or defence. it's just a matter of the player having the work ethic necessary to put time in for improvement.

For Bargnani, the problem with him was always a fixable one: effort. He just needed someone to kick him in the pants and tell him to get going. To focus him and make him play hard on both ends of the court. Time will tell if it lasts, but even in a limited sample size so far this year, 2011-2012 Bargs is light years better than any previous version. He could always shoot, but now he takes smart shots. He could always score, but now he gets to the hoop with aggressiveness, and plays off that for open jumpers. He could (in theory) have always played better D or rebounded, but now he gives a damn and actually puts in the effort.

The easiest place to see the difference isn't even in his actual play, it's just in his demeanor on the court. Last year (and prior) he would jog up and down the court, find a spot, camp out while waiting for the ball, or just sort of stick with the guy he's guarding, and after the play he would reset and do it again pretty much regardless of what the outcome was. Now he hustles. He gets fired up when he sticks a shot. He wants the ball and he wants to show up the guy who's guarding him. He has focus and swagger and it makes a gigantic difference in how he plays all aspects of the game.

Old
01-05-2012, 01:40 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
I kind of agree with both of you. To an extent, players are what they are 3-5 years into the league with regards to physical skills and certain things that seem to be based largely on natural talent (playmaking ability, higher level ball-handling, even the ability to get to the rim with ahtleticism). But there are also a lot of skills based on repetition and work that can be improved, like shooting, or post moves, or defence. it's just a matter of the player having the work ethic necessary to put time in for improvement.

For Bargnani, the problem with him was always a fixable one: effort. He just needed someone to kick him in the pants and tell him to get going. To focus him and make him play hard on both ends of the court. Time will tell if it lasts, but even in a limited sample size so far this year, 2011-2012 Bargs is light years better than any previous version. He could always shoot, but now he takes smart shots. He could always score, but now he gets to the hoop with aggressiveness, and plays off that for open jumpers. He could (in theory) have always played better D or rebounded, but now he gives a damn and actually puts in the effort.

The easiest place to see the difference isn't even in his actual play, it's just in his demeanor on the court. Last year (and prior) he would jog up and down the court, find a spot, camp out while waiting for the ball, or just sort of stick with the guy he's guarding, and after the play he would reset and do it again pretty much regardless of what the outcome was. Now he hustles. He gets fired up when he sticks a shot. He wants the ball and he wants to show up the guy who's guarding him. He has focus and swagger and it makes a gigantic difference in how he plays all aspects of the game.
Pretty much agree with everything you said.

Basketball is really cool in that you practice with just 1 training partner and lots of the skills you develop can translate directly in the games.

Hockey is very hard to simulate and while you can work on things like strength/skating/shooting, it is harder to improve IMO.

That said, I think you are right. Andrea always had the talent so it is more just a case of him applying it.

Old
01-05-2012, 01:44 AM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

So I guess I should actually watch them this season. I haven't watched a game yet, and barely watched them last season. I'm willing to give them a chance again.

Old
01-05-2012, 01:52 AM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schennanigans View Post
So I guess I should actually watch them this season. I haven't watched a game yet, and barely watched them last season. I'm willing to give them a chance again.
I'm kind of in the same boat as you. I followed them alot when I was younger, but only recently started following them again. It just stuns me that the team has only allowed the opposition to score 100pts once so far this year. I know two games have been against Cleveland but it's still a shocking improvement. Very excited with the direction Casey is taking this team.

Old
01-05-2012, 01:55 AM
hotpaws

vCash: 950
Quote:

I agree with most of what you say except Bargs improvement goes well beyond just a better work ethic . The team has also stopped trying to make him a C and for the first time he's been allowed to play his natural position . Your bang on about his swagger . He's playing with a confidence i've never seen him have before and tonight you could see that he felt like he could do anything he wanted on the offensive end . It was like he was just toying with the Cavs .

I also give a huge amount of credit to the new coach . He's has everyone playing hard on D . There's no more of this crap of blaming Andrea for every defensive breakdown . Casey knows what Bargs can and can't do on the defensive end and he's putting him in a position to succed . Everyone's is expected to give an effort to guard there own position as well as try to provide help . It seems that Casey has made everyone aware of there resposiblities on D and is enforcing it with playing time . There's also no more leaving your man or position on D and leaking out early to try to score some easy buckets .

Old
01-05-2012, 03:07 AM
Breakingbad28

vCash: 524
What odds would you put the raptors making the playoffs? I bet my friend that they wont.

Closed Thread