HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bryz's Rules of Life

Old
01-03-2012, 07:16 PM
CSKA1974

vCash: 500
Bryz's Rules of Life

I understand that the timing of this thread might be somewhat inflammatory, but I like to translate articles as they come out. This was published 1/1/2012

In the light of latest events surrounding Bryz Sports.ru published excerpts from Bryzgalov’s interviews over the years and named them

Ilya Bryzgalov’s Rules of Life

-To be honest I am indifferent to fans. I can explain the reason. When you are OK, when you are playing well they worship you; when you are going through rough times- you become an enemy #1. Once I was sidelined for almost a year due to injury. I had seen and understood a lot during that time.

-I am not nervous on the ice and I do not feel pressure. I just relax and play. Hockey is an entertainment that I need to enjoy.

-There are people who understand me, and there are that don’t. It’s their own choice; I have never tried to be liked.

-I can’t say that I am a philosopher. I read these books because I like them. I like their thoughts, really. I like to now how they thought, how they came up to their conclusions. Do not get me wrong, I do not spend hours and hours studying their books. But sometimes, in the certain moments I think about their theories. But again, just sometimes.

-I like Socrates, because he stated that nothing is explicit.

-I’ve taught myself not to be deluded when I am praised; and not to get upset when I am reproached. As I said before- nothing is explicit.

- I am not really interested in talking to hockey players, I, practically, do not have any friends among them. Only Pavel Datsyuk. I like to communicate with him, but my close friends are only the guys that I grew up with.

-I do not have that many friends, but I maintain good relationships with all.

-You know what I dislike the most? Stupidity and injustice. I have that quality in me to rebel against these.

-I am old fashioned. I hate reading from a computer screen, I need to hols a book in my hands.

-God and church are 2 different things for me. God is in everything, but church is the mean to manipulate people. Church is not necessarily false, but God for me is in people and animals. Church- is just a person that has read books. I have talked to clergy- I did not here convincing answers to my questions.

-I would like to learn to drive a space ship. I dream of going into space.

-I do not bribe traffic cops (common practice in Russia, CSKA). I will pay official fine, but not a bribe.

-I use cab services in Russia. I have 2 BMW in the USA. I value comfort and safety in cars.

-Even if I had time I would not watch any TV in Russia. I do not watch it in the USA either.

-Not everything is measured by money. If you have a chance to play in the NHL you must use it, otherwise you are a coward. I will never say that a player has had a good career if he has not tried himself in the strongest league in the world.

-I had to go through all the levels of hockey hell in order to enjoy everyday in the real hockey.

-I am afraid of heights. I will never go on a roller coaster, but I am not afraid of flying.

-I lost all the interest in alcohol. I do not need it. Nobody will persuade you to drink in the USA if you do not want- it’s not like Russia (another common practice, CSKA)

-The sense of life? Love. Not just to a concrete person, one must love everything that surrounds us. Only then one can achieve harmony.

-A lot of people talk about superstitions, but it’s all senseless. There are so many games. One has to work hard and not be preoccupied with all this nonsense.

-My motto on ice? Just read my glove- “Be a fighter!” Helps when I am tired. Sometimes it feels like I am unable to go anymore, then I look at my glove and fight till the end.

-I try not to resent anyone, maintain good relationship, and be positive.

-Happiness is a very complex thing. Everyone has his own definition. It’s not the same for everyone. For instance, three years ago one dreamt about NHL contract, good career, and a lot of money. But the baby is born in the family- that baby becomes one’s happiness. You want to be with your children, you want to see them healthy and joyful. The meaning of happiness changes daily.

-Blonds or brunets? Does not really matter, the soul has to be clear and beautiful.

-Philosophy teaches: if you know- speak! That does not work in sports.

-I dislike attention. As one of my favorites characters said: “I like to sit low- it’s safer if you fall”.

-I think that the game makes a hockey player. You will be valued by real professionals if your game support who you are.

- like Russian classics. Books, history.

-We all must think what we are going to do if we destroy the Earth. There is nowhere to go. We must take care of it, not of our wallets or stomachs.

-About my personal life- the less people know the better.

-I do not let my children talk back to adult. I can reprimand them, but I have never physically punished them.

-I would not want to experience loneliness, without my family. How will I live? What for?

-Most terrible thing? To survive your children and grandchildren.

-I have a dog- white Siberian husky. She and I easily find common language. She is very kind and loveable. Better than a lot of people.

-I cook really well. Everyone who has tried it has liked it.

-I do not want to disfigure my body with tattoos. You can ask older people about their tattoos and they will tell you: “It was foolish…” Older people know what they are talking about.

-I am very responsible at my job. Just teach me what I do not know something.

-I strongly dislike dirt- moral or physical.

-My favorite saying is “Erare human est”. That means to err is human.

Last edited by CSKA1974: 01-03-2012 at 07:52 PM.
CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 07:35 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Thanks for the translate. Always good stuff. Here are a some things I took from this.

Quote:
-To be honest I am indifferent to fans. I can explain the reason. When you are OK, when you are playing well they worship you; when you are going through rough times- you become an enemy #1. Once I was sidelined for almost a year due to injury. I had seen and understood a lot during that time.
Fans can actually be considerate when you go through tough times as long as you show effort, care about your play, and not become a spectacle of yourself when you're having trouble playing. I hope he knows this or is told this.

Quote:
-I am not nervous on the ice and I do not feel pressure. I just relax and play. Hockey is an entertainment that I need to enjoy.
Hockey is entertainment, but at the NHL level it's mostly entertainment for the fans. If you want to entertain yourself playing hockey, there are men's leagues for that. Perhaps a bit more seriousness on the ice in NHL games?

Quote:
- I am not really interested in talking to hockey players, I, practically, do not have any friends among them. Only Pavel Datsyuk. I like to communicate with him, but my close friends are only the guys that I grew up with.
Not wanting to tell him to try and be who he's not, but maybe he should talk to other hockey players just a bit more? Maybe he'll get a greater sense of the situations he finds himself in.

Quote:
-I would like to learn to drive a space ship. I dream of going into space.
Not surprised. But I wouldn't mind doing that either.

Quote:
-I am afraid of heights. I will never go on a roller coaster, but I am not afraid of flying.
Likes space, good with flying, but no roller coasters? Kinda weird imo.

Quote:
-Philosophy teaches: if you know- speak! That does not work in sports.
Maybe something lost in translation, but I'd hope that if someone knew something in sports they'd relay that information. Perhaps he means it's hard for the guys who had it come easy to them to teach it to others?

Quote:
-I dislike attention. As one of my favorites characters said: “I like to sit low- it’s safer if you fall”.
Dislike attention? Coulda fooled me.

Quote:
-I have a dog- white Siberian husky. She and I easily find common language. She is very kind and loveable. Better than a lot of people.
Once again, not surprised.

Quote:
-I am very responsible at my job. Just teach me I do not know something.
I sure hope so. I hope that responsibility pays off further this season.

Quote:
-My favorite saying is “Erare human est”. That means to err is human.
Well, you certainly are human.

Meh, maybe I'm going overboard a bit on some of my comments. Frustration I guess.

Phileeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 07:36 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

He's freakishly zen-like...but he's had some on-ice outbursts before...and obviously his fat contract while talking about lack of interest in money...some contradictory things about this interview

But thank you nonetheless!

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 07:48 PM
WeekendAtBernies

-My favorite saying is “Erare human est”. That means to err is human

Well, Bryz must be the most human goaltender in the NHL, because he's been erring a lot lately.

Seriously though, I thought this was kind of a cool interview and I thank you for sharing CSKA. It's cool that Bryz would open up and explain himself this much... you'd never get this in an interview from that idiot Tim Pancaccio or one of our other ignorant beat writers.

This interview really makes Bryzgalov seem kind of normal and if he does believe everything that he claims, then he seems like he's actually a pretty emotionally / mentally stable guy and should be able to rebound from this and take firm grasp of the #1 job again.

Hopefully he will...

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 07:54 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
-My favorite saying is “Erare human est”. That means to err is human

Well, Bryz must be the most human goaltender in the NHL, because he's been erring a lot lately.

Seriously though, I thought this was kind of a cool interview and I thank you for sharing CSKA. It's cool that Bryz would open up and explain himself this much... you'd never get this in an interview from that idiot Tim Pancaccio or one of our other ignorant beat writers.

This interview really makes Bryzgalov seem kind of normal and if he does believe everything that he claims, then he seems like he's actually a pretty emotionally / mentally stable guy and should be able to rebound from this and take firm grasp of the #1 job again.

Hopefully he will...
I need to clarify that these are excerpts from different interviews over the several years.

Old
01-03-2012, 08:00 PM
MsWoof

Hockey is entertainment for fans. For players, it's their job. He needs to get serious about his job, otherwise, his remaining years as an NHL goalie are going to be miserable.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 12:42 AM
tntkid

Ilya must alienate himself from his teammates with his strong beliefs.

Even Jagr did not want him sitting at his table to eat on 24/7.

tntkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 12:51 AM
NewYorkFlyerFan

Can't wait for this to get over analyzed.

NewYorkFlyerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 12:53 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkFlyerFan View Post
Can't wait for this to get over analyzed.
You better pray that CSKA isn't one of Tim Panaccio's "anonymous sources".

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 07:55 AM
DUHockey9

I normally don't hesitate to criticize around here if I don't like something; but I really don't have that much of an issue with Bryz and what he says/how he acts. His play, of course, needs to be better; and I think it will be.

He's taken a fair amount of heat for what some may deem his lackadaisical attitude, but I kind of like it. I don't even think it's lackadaisical, I think it's realistic. I genuinely think he has a realistic grasp on hockey and life. I don't know if it's just me having to listen to Andy Reid for the past 13 years, or guys like Brad Lidge constantly tell me "I don't know...the ball felt really good coming out of my hand today." Stop making excuses Brad. I don't want to hear it. Just tell me you were bad today. It's okay.

I find it refreshing that Bryz is quite hard on himself when he is bad, yet also realizes that life goes on. It's realistic of him to realize and comment on the fact that fans will love him when he plays well, and hate him when he doesn't. He's doing the same exact thing to himself.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 08:28 AM
walle

Bryz is perfect

walle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 09:56 AM
s3x

One for Ilya: "Talk less. Do more."

s3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 08:34 AM
penguin4411
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3x View Post
One for Ilya: "Talk less. Do more."

penguin4411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 08:40 AM
UKFlyers

Personally I'd like to see him a bit more fired-up, rather than saying he's indifferent to fans I'd have liked to have heard him say he's going to prove the critics and doubters wrong. I know it's not necessarily his personality but playing with some fire inside might be what he needs to start improving.

UKFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:06 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKFlyers View Post
Personally I'd like to see him a bit more fired-up, rather than saying he's indifferent to fans I'd have liked to have heard him say he's going to prove the critics and doubters wrong. I know it's not necessarily his personality but playing with some fire inside might be what he needs to start improving.
This statements have been collected over the years not necessarily this season.

Old
01-05-2012, 10:03 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
This statements have been collected over the years not necessarily this season.
It still gives insight into his psyche. Your personality is developed over time anyway although you pretty much become who you are going to be in adolescence unless you experience some life altering experience later. This is what I learned from the movie Spider man at least...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote