HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Falcons and Blue Jackets extend agreement & lease; discussion on future

Old
01-05-2012, 09:13 AM
pelts35.com

vCash: 500
Falcons and Blue Jackets extend agreement & lease; discussion on future

Looks like despite falling attendance, the Falcons are safe for 2 more seasons

http://www.falconsahl.com/index.php?id=1960

“As an owner, I am very optimistic about the potential of the Springfield Falcons and I am happy to announce this two-year extension here in Springfield,” said Falcons Majority Owner, Charlie Pompea. “We are hoping to partner with the community in making this your team. Obviously like the fans, I am disappointed in our first half results and do hope that the string of injuries that has affected our results on the ice will conclude. We need fans in the stands and I look forward to a much better second half. I would like to thank our many corporate supporters and loyal fans. I look forward to our mutual success both on and off the ice and I can’t wait to hear Shake Rattle and Roll after more wins at The Nest.”

Last edited by Majik1987: 01-22-2012 at 10:52 PM. Reason: title update to reflect discussion
pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 10:37 AM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

I'm glad for the remaining fan base in Springfield -- though I have to admit being baffled that they continue to hold on... it's like they're the franchise that could not die. Good for them.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 10:48 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
I'm glad for the remaining fan base in Springfield -- though I have to admit being baffled that they continue to hold on... it's like they're the franchise that could not die. Good for them.
You had to figure that the new owner would keep the team around for at least a couple of years.

That said, given the lack of success with Columbus, I'm a bit surprised that they would commit to 2 more years this early in the game.

Old
01-05-2012, 04:09 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Springfield....the AHL's version of the Johnstown Chiefs/Wheeling Nailers. Hung on way too long, we all know they are eventually folding, it's just the day is WHEN.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 07:55 PM
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to scoob4093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
Springfield....the AHL's version of the Johnstown Chiefs/Wheeling Nailers. Hung on way too long, we all know they are eventually folding, it's just the day is WHEN.
Solid. All day long I wondered "What will Green Men Rule think about the affiliation extension? ". Now that his thoughts are known I will be able to sleep tonight.

scoob4093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 07:58 PM
adsfan

I am glad to see Springfield staying put. The AHL needs some eastern teams, especially the traditional cities like Springfield and Rochester!

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 08:08 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoob4093 View Post
Solid. All day long I wondered "What will Green Men Rule think about the affiliation extension? ". Now that his thoughts are known I will be able to sleep tonight.
With all due repect to GMR, I am sure he isn't the only one that feels this way. The Falcons have been on life support for most of the recent past and it appears that with this extension there is the annual "threat" from Landon and now Pompea that attendance must increase to keep the team in springfield.

Honestly I would say that unless attendance significantly increases over the next 2 years, this will be the last lease extension that Pompea will sign. If it were not for his willingness to lose money while keeping hockey in springfield, the Falcons would be playing in another city right now. Given the 2 year extension, that tells me that this is his limit of how long he is willing to lose money.

Old
01-05-2012, 08:18 PM
scoob4093
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to scoob4093
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
With all due repect to GMR, I am sure he isn't the only one that feels this way. The Falcons have been on life support for most of the recent past and it appears that with this extension there is the annual "threat" from Landon and now Pompea that attendance must increase to keep the team in springfield.

Honestly I would say that unless attendance significantly increases over the next 2 years, this will be the last lease extension that Pompea will sign. If it were not for his willingness to lose money while keeping hockey in springfield, the Falcons would be playing in another city right now. Given the 2 year extension, that tells me that this is his limit of how long he is willing to lose money.
How do you know that he is losing money ? Are you privy to that sort of information ?

scoob4093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:46 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
I'm disappointed there was no "LOL" involved or some variation of calling it a "joke".

I'm glad they are staying for purely selfish reasons.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:59 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
How do you know that he is losing money ? Are you privy to that sort of information ?
I don't know for a fact, but I cannot fathom after spending x amount of dollars for the franchise, the lease to the MMC and paying an affiliation fee to C'bus, not to mention office salaries, etc., can be making any money when the team is drawing under 3300 fans per night. This being based off of Bruce Landon's previous comments that the team would need to draw 4000-5000 fans per night to make a profit.

This being said I am all for hockey staying in Springfield as it gives me an excuse to make a trip to Red Rose every odd year or so. .

Old
01-05-2012, 10:48 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
That was the shortened version, the longer version is I feel sorry for you guys that you are being stuck with Columbus, they are a terribble affiliate, ask Howard Dolgon, shoot they aren't even capable of running an NHL team.

Old
01-06-2012, 01:04 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
I am glad to see Springfield staying put. The AHL needs some eastern teams, especially the traditional cities like Springfield and Rochester!
Most of the teams are in the east and hate traveling.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:52 AM
Peter6625

Springfield does alright in attendance. I have been out their a few times and it doesn't look any different than any other AHL team in attendance. People have to realize that most of the attendance figures are way off. Most of the teams only care about what kind of lease they sign. I'm sure the state of Massachusetts is subsidizing AHL hockey in Springfield.

Peter6625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:02 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter6625 View Post
Springfield does alright in attendance. I have been out their a few times and it doesn't look any different than any other AHL team in attendance. People have to realize that most of the attendance figures are way off. Most of the teams only care about what kind of lease they sign. I'm sure the state of Massachusetts is subsidizing AHL hockey in Springfield.
If Springfield did "alright" in attendance then Bruce Landon and now Charlie Pompea wouldn't threaten the fanbase year after year that if attendance doesn't increase that the team could be sold resulting in relocation.

If Springfield did "alright" in attendance, the previous ownership wouldn't have sold the franchise last year.

The only thing I will agree with you about how Springfield "looks" compared to other AHL teams in attendance is that they look like the other teams in the bottom quarter of attendance, which is certainly nothing to brag about. The problem there is that just 10 years ago they averaged over 1,000 more than what they are averaging now.

Old
01-22-2012, 10:51 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Found this blog post by Bruce Landon of the Springfield Falcons. He talks about the difference between the published attendance and the actual paid attendance that the AHL gathers and distributes to the owners. No real news there.

He then goes into an analysis of average ticket prices for some of the New England teams. Interesting, I guess.

But the most interesting part to me is in the last paragraph...

Quote:
As Charlie says, you can't sell a dollar for ninety-nine cents and expect to be in business very long. Our expenses are high and the franchise continues to lose money. (Emphasis added)We need to try and find the price points that are fair, but allow us to operate so that this team is part of the Pioneer Valley for many years to come.
Link
So here is the annual threat. Maybe it took a little longer this season, but there is another statement about losing money.

01-23-2012, 09:34 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1987 View Post
Found this blog post by Bruce Landon of the Springfield Falcons. He talks about the difference between the published attendance and the actual paid attendance that the AHL gathers and distributes to the owners. No real news there.

He then goes into an analysis of average ticket prices for some of the New England teams. Interesting, I guess.

But the most interesting part to me is in the last paragraph...

So here is the annual threat. Maybe it took a little longer this season, but there is another statement about losing money.
I don't think it took longer this season. Typically the threat comes out right before season ticket renewals are sent out, which just happened this past week.

Old
01-23-2012, 01:39 PM
Tommy Hawk

Its amazing how he says expenses are high but doesn't mention which expenses or anything about reducing them. Maybe they can buy used pucks from the midget leagues in the area to reduce expenses.

Old
01-25-2012, 08:56 AM
Peter6625

Maybe Springfield should do what Worcester is doing. I have went to a couple of games this past week, they are doing really well compared to what they have done in the past. $10 dollar tickets, no one can beat that price. They even opened up the upper level seating, which are great seats compared to the lower level seats that have poor sightlines.

Peter6625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 09:09 AM
bigd

Quote:
That was the shortened version, the longer version is I feel sorry for you guys that you are being stuck with Columbus, they are a terribble affiliate, ask Howard Dolgon, shoot they aren't even capable of running an NHL team.
They are a much better NHL partner than the Oilers were. The Oilers did nothing for Springfield and couldn't even put a competitive team on the ice.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 10:50 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
They are a much better NHL partner than the Oilers were. The Oilers did nothing for Springfield and couldn't even put a competitive team on the ice.
I'm not sure if I'd say they were "much" better. That said Edmonton was biding their time in Springfield until they activated their owned AHL franchise and never were commited to winning in Springfield. What's CBJ's excuse?

Old
01-25-2012, 11:44 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Maybe Springfield should do what Worcester is doing. I have went to a couple of games this past week, they are doing really well compared to what they have done in the past. $10 dollar tickets, no one can beat that price. They even opened up the upper level seating, which are great seats compared to the lower level seats that have poor sightlines.
I would ask how a minor league team could survive off of only $10 tickets.

Old
01-25-2012, 11:58 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Not all tickets are $10.

Old
01-25-2012, 02:06 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
Did they open the upper level just for the Providence game, or are they doing it for other games too? You are so right that the upper level in the DCU is better.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 04:06 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:

Easy, sell 7000 per game. That is equivalent to 3500 at $20 which is what some teams are doing (if they are even 20 per ticket).

Also, if they get a slice of concessions (food and merch), 7000 people will usually spend more than 3500 or 4000.

Old
01-26-2012, 07:21 PM
pelts35.com

Gm Bruce Landon will be holding his annual state of the falcons address on february 10. I'm sure it will include the annual threat regarding attendance piggybacking on what he said earlier in the month based of off Pompea's comments.