HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you view the winter classic as a special game, or just a regular season game?

View Poll Results: Is the WC just as important, or more important then a regular game?
Much more important 23 33.33%
A little more important 37 53.62%
Just as important 9 13.04%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-05-2012, 11:38 AM
Radek27

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
It's both. It's an exciting event where players get to play on the big stage and get that valuable experince. I think being on this grand stage, and more importantly WINNING through adversity on it will only help the team.

But let's be reality here. At the end of the day, no hardware is handed out. No names are engraved. It's 2 points.
At the end of the season it will be one of the first games you remember looking back, I will never forget that game thats for sure.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:44 AM
pld459666

it's much more important as it's not often that teams will be invited to play in the game.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:03 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
At the end of the season it will be one of the first games you remember looking back, I will never forget that game thats for sure.
Of course. Just like I won't forget that OT winner in pittsburgh last year. Or the Boston game. The list goes on. It was a memorable game for sure. But again, worth as many points in the standings as those two other games I mentioned. Never said it wasn't memorable or a big win. It was both of those things.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:02 PM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
They should consider replacing the AS game with another outdoor game, maybe one only in Canada to ensure brutal cold weather like the first outdoor game with the Habs, now that looked COLD!

I have never liked the AS game in any sport except for Baseball since it does have some meaning on the season. Unless you are in the city it is happening in no one even cares, to me a useless event where good players risk injury for nothing ala Richter.
IMO they should take the All-Star weekend and form say 2 Canadian All-Star teams, 2 US All-Star teams, a team of NHL players from Russia, Finland, Sweden, and a combined Czech and Slovak team and do sometype of rivalry All-Star weekend games in New York and say Chicago. Make them doubleheaders say at Soldier Field where you can see one of the US-Canada games along with say Sweden-Finland and the other US-Canada game with the second one being Russia-Czech/Slovakia.

It needs to be pointed out that the ratings for this years WC were down substantially, though I think it had more to do with playing it at 3PM on Jan 2 than anything else.

doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:39 PM
Bardof425*

After being at the event and seeing the last five minutes, i would like to see it be an exhibition. If this game is so important to the league that they need drama and as Torts said do what they can to create drama, then it shouldn't hurt the losing team in the standings. If we would have lost that game I would have lost it in Citizens Bank Park with low life Flyer fans all around me. It was that bad.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:46 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

I mean, I had butterflys before the game. It's mostly because of all the attention, and how badly I didn't want to give Philly anything. I hate that team. The thought of watching our guys lose on the biggest stage outside the playoffs was painful. But Hank and Rupp made sure that didn't happen.

So far, the game that started this team's incredible play is the one that makes me the happiest. The San Jose game.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:50 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Little bit more important. It should help boost the team's confidence and show everyone that we mean business. The fact that we won also puts a bit of a target on our backs, I think.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Definitely a lot more important.

This is a game the NHL and Ranger fans will talk about every year come the winter classic. Nobody will remember the game vs the Sens back in October, but nobody will forget the Winter Classic game vs the Flyers.

Plus with 24/7 it was very hyped up and a lot of bragging rights were on it.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:53 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
Actually if you think about it, because of the retarded point system the NHL uses, if the refs are going to try to help the game go into OT it's actually beneficial to the teams involved.
Technically yes but in another light, no. When its a divisional matchup you never want to give the other team points, especially if that happens due to refs succesfully forcing it to happen.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 05:13 PM
bigbluebird

Can't vote yet, but I pick the second option. I was extremely excited (not to mention proud) to be a Rangers fan throughout the whole process. And even if we had lost, I still would've been happy for the experience overall.

Also was a good excuse to try to get some friends/family to consider watching hockey, lol.

Finally, as some others have mentioned, it was actually objectively a huge game anyway, so added to the fun.

bigbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

It should be an exhibition or All Star game. I don't need the league cheating the Rangers - or anyone else - out of 2 points to try to fix the game to make it more dramatic.

As a matter of fact, I hate virtually everything the league does to 'grow the game' to people that have no interest in hockey. I'd rather make the game better for us and ignore the great unwashed.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote