HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Barch suspended one game

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-05-2012, 12:02 PM
  #26
CatWoman34
Fool on the Hill
 
CatWoman34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 303
vCash: 500
I also think the delay was to let the dust settle, and let the incident fall from the headlines.

Had they done this suspension Monday, there'd be a bigger reaction.

I also love that here in Toronto - Brian Burke was holding a ridiculous press conference whining about enforcers when the Barch news started to trickle out, so the Toronto media won't get ahold of this for quite some time.

CatWoman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:04 PM
  #27
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatWoman34 View Post
This is what I don't get... how is this worse than much of the chirping done on the ice?

I get that there could be implied racial undertones, but call me ignorant, but until the Simmonds incident in London Ont I had no idea that bananas could mean anything racial. Barch could have been equally in the dark.

Agreed with others - slippery slope and questionable suspension.

But at the same time - it's over with and let's move on. Subban and Barch have come to an understanding, and that's good enough for me.
They've already talked, but I do think there's reason to be upset, and I am. A player's name is tarnished now. I don't care if it's an enforcer, this is absolute crap. (Not meaning to set off on you, but now he has to live down a one game suspension for insensitive comments toward a black player, when it was completely harmless)

__________________
So you're saying there's a chance!
Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:07 PM
  #28
PanthersRule96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,029
vCash: 500
Doubt Barch was oblivious to the fact that bananas can have some form of racial undertones. Honestly, of all the things you can say out there though, he could have easily said something else. Maybe it was a simple mistake, but it's not like Barch said something clear-cut non-racial. There is at least some degree of question in it as to why you'd drop in anything about slipping on a banana peel when referencing a black player, especially with the Simmonds incident earlier this year.

I know worse has been said out there by far and away, but it's stupid to say something like that. For those of you clamoring for his total innocence, would you really be dumb enough to say something like that to a person of color? I don't think he's a racist at all, but I think he should have chosen better words. Fortunately for him, he can get his lawyer/agent behind it and claim there were no racial undertones to it and get off with just one game. The panthers would be smart to just bury it and not make any issue moving forward.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:10 PM
  #29
PanthersRule96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
They've already talked, but I do think there's reason to be upset, and I am. A player's name is tarnished now. I don't care if it's an enforcer, this is absolute crap. (Not meaning to set off on you, but now he has to live down a one game suspension for insensitive comments toward a black player, when it was completely harmless)
His name isn't tarnished with this. It's not like he called him the n word or anything bad like that. His judgement partially lapsed for a second. If he didn't mean any racial undertones, then at the very least, he's guilty of being incredibly stupid in the moment. As long as he plays the game the right way and stays out of any further trouble, I don't think he will have any future negativity associated with him. I've played some hockey before and I've heard much worse said out there about all kinds of off-color things, but the moral of the story is to not be an idiot and say things that can be misinterpreted for worse things, especially when there are other people around to hear them.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:14 PM
  #30
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 7,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
His name isn't tarnished with this. It's not like he called him the n word or anything bad like that. His judgement partially lapsed for a second. If he didn't mean any racial undertones, then at the very least, he's guilty of being incredibly stupid in the moment. As long as he plays the game the right way and stays out of any further trouble, I don't think he will have any future negativity associated with him. I've played some hockey before and I've heard much worse said out there about all kinds of off-color things, but the moral of the story is to not be an idiot and say things that can be misinterpreted for worse things, especially when there are other people around to hear them.
Barch:

“My intent, for my sake and my families sake, I never said anything racially driven or used a slur. I've looked on the internet and there are 700 related articles that say I said I used a racial slur. I have to deal with it, my wife has to deal with it walking the dog down the street, my dad."

Hard to say he's not tarnished. Hard to say the next time he's a FA the GM wont think twice.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:14 PM
  #31
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,028
vCash: 500
Read one sentence in your first post, and that's as far as I'm going. Don't care, the two have absolutely zero to do with each other and this is rubbish. You don't suspend a guy for something that had zero reference to race. That's absurd.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:16 PM
  #32
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Barch:

“My intent, for my sake and my families sake, I never said anything racially driven or used a slur. I've looked on the internet and there are 700 related articles that say I said I used a racial slur. I have to deal with it, my wife has to deal with it walking the dog down the street, my dad."

Hard top say he's not tarnished. Hard to say the next time he's a FA the GM wont think twice.
Yep. Not tarnished??

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:22 PM
  #33
CatWoman34
Fool on the Hill
 
CatWoman34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
They've already talked, but I do think there's reason to be upset, and I am. A player's name is tarnished now. I don't care if it's an enforcer, this is absolute crap. (Not meaning to set off on you, but now he has to live down a one game suspension for insensitive comments toward a black player, when it was completely harmless)
I agree with you completely - and don't worry, I know you're not ranting at me but at the situation.

I just feel in our instant news society, that Barch won't be haunted by this forever. People will forget.

Right now - yes it is ridiculous and deserves some push back from the Panthers, but I don't know what they can do. This team certainly can't afford to forfeit games and lose points.

I really hope Barch can get away from this and not have this follow him forever, and I wish no ill to his family whatsoever.

And I agree - you can't say his name isn't tarnished. It completly is and there WILL be people who will think this was 100% a racial comment.

Guess I should've elaborated my earlier post... I tend to type in short quips when I'm at work

CatWoman34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:25 PM
  #34
Montsy14
Registered User
 
Montsy14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,822
vCash: 50
I agree with those that say this is absolutely absurd. I feel for Barch, I really do. Although the comment was wrong, so are about 100 other comments said by players on the ice to each other on a game to game basis.

I don't know whether the linesman thought he heard something else or went on some sort of power trip, but I am in disbelief that a linesman of all people took that means of action towards a player (on the bench, no less).

There's a reason why the NHL delayed the decision for so long, probably because they had no clue what to do without looking completely backwards (which happens regularly through normal suspensions anyway)

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:29 PM
  #35
jkscott
Florida Panther STH
 
jkscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 873
vCash: 500
If Barch had intent to hurt Subban racially, wouldn't he just use the N word?

jkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:30 PM
  #36
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian
 
Ghoste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,029
vCash: 835
Wow, ridiculous. That comment didn't even deserve the game misconduct let alone a one-game suspension. Now we can't see Barch go with Rupp. Thanks for nothing, League

-ghoste

Ghoste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:42 PM
  #37
PanthersRule96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,029
vCash: 500
People will forget. It's a hot topic this week but in a few weeks and months, it will be a forgotten issue. I'm sure he didn't mean for it to be racist. People make stupid comments all the time that are misconstrued. Nothing he can do about it now other than apologize and explain his train of thought, which he had done. Had it been a big issue, he would have had a longer suspension. Having him sit one game for stupidity is fine. The league may do it to save face and for the linesman's credibility. For the people out there who actually thought it may have been a racist comment (all the Al Sharpton's of the world, good thing most probably don't watch hockey), the league had to give some form of punishment. They could have gone with a fine or with a 1 game suspension. Done deal, everyone should move on because the faster people move on, the faster this will be forgotten and won't be an issue. Does anyone think Shane Doan is a bigot because he allegedly made a comment about Francophones a while back? I'm sure many people on here don't even remember that issue to begin with.

Barch will be fine. I'd be a little shaken up too had I realized what I said could have meant much worse.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:45 PM
  #38
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,028
vCash: 500
Sorry, but that post is rubbish. I get what you're trying to say, but I still see people from high school who said dumb things, and it's in my head. I dismiss it, but it's there.

Further, stand behind a guy, a suspension merits that it was racist, period.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:49 PM
  #39
Frek
WE SEE RED!
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: PSL, Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 747
vCash: 679
Well there you have it. You can no longer ask a player if they slipped on a banana peel or you'll get a 1 game suspension and be labeled a racist. A proud and noble moment for the direction of the NHL.

Frek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:53 PM
  #40
GoRatsGo
LGP
 
GoRatsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 500
As most have said, this is ridiculous.

Will there be an official explanation from Shanahan on this?

GoRatsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:54 PM
  #41
loudi94
Master of my Domain
 
loudi94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lethbridge, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,340
vCash: 50
Just because they omitted the word "racially", doesn't mean it isn't there. He was suspended one game for making a racially insensitive remark. It appears the league was able to clearly decide that while the comments were inappropriate, Barch didn't mean for the words to come out the way they did. One game and move on. Barch is not a victim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frek View Post
Well there you have it. You can no longer ask a black player if they slipped on a banana peel or you'll get a 1 game suspension and be labeled a racist. A proud and noble moment for the direction of the NHL.
You missed a word there.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:56 PM
  #42
PanthersRule96
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 6,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frek View Post
Well there you have it. You can no longer ask a player if they slipped on a banana peel or you'll get a 1 game suspension and be labeled a racist. A proud and noble moment for the direction of the NHL.
You can't objectify this as if it's some rule no matter the circumstance. As it to a white guy and there's no suspension. The reason there are a different set of circumstances is because it's so touchy-feely with everything now that you have to watch what you say at all times, especially when it's a black player involved here. Say it to Erik Cole and there's no suspension. Say it to Laraque or Subban and the water is much more muddy.

Being too PC is a big problem with our society IMO and I think it's ridiculous, but unfortunately, this situation is what it is.

Laus, for those people who said dumb things in high school, I agree it certainly should stay with them if it's a dumb comment that was somewhat malicious. I am also sure that there are many questionable but forgettable comments that people made that have been long-since forgotten because it may have sounded borderline in the moment, but no harm was intended. So long as Barch stays out of trouble, his career will recover IMO. If he happens to get suspended for kicking a guy in 2 weeks, it may go the other way, but if he's as good a guy as everyone says, he will absolutely make it through this to where it's a non-issue, as he should.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:58 PM
  #43
jkscott
Florida Panther STH
 
jkscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Sorry, but that post is rubbish. I get what you're trying to say, but I still see people from high school who said dumb things, and it's in my head. I dismiss it, but it's there.

Further, stand behind a guy, a suspension merits that it was racist, period.
The suspension doesn't merit that it was racist. The NHL said that if it was found to be racist he would of got 7-10 games.


The question is if it wasn't a racist comment then why did he get suspended? What is inappropriate about a banana peel?

jkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:59 PM
  #44
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
i agree with both PR and catwoman (i.e., the delay was likely to bury the ruling)

this will subside and i highly doubt that a GM's going to look past him because of this comment. i feel bad for him but it WAS a lapse in judgment. i'm not saying it's right but there is a reason people are sensitive - we are not that far removed from the civil rights act.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:07 PM
  #45
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 7,997
vCash: 500
“He said something like it looked like he was “slipping on a banana peel,’’ the source said. “He didn’t mean anything by it. As far as we’re concerned this issue has been over for days.”
Because Subban is black, the linesman apparently construed the comment as being racially motivated. The league disagreed.

From Flakov Blog.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:09 PM
  #46
zeroG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somerville, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkscott View Post
The suspension doesn't merit that it was racist. The NHL said that if it was found to be racist he would of got 7-10 games.

The question is if it wasn't a racist comment then why did he get suspended? What is inappropriate about a banana peel?
PR is on point here. banana comments can often have racial undertones. while we don't know what barch's intents were, he nonetheless said what he said. he isn't a victim. i have to agree with the decision.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:10 PM
  #47
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Just because they omitted the word "racially", doesn't mean it isn't there. He was suspended one game for making a racially insensitive remark. It appears the league was able to clearly decide that while the comments were inappropriate, Barch didn't mean for the words to come out the way they did. One game and move on. Barch is not a victim.



You missed a word there.
Ridiculous.

For one, you're not going to stop and think, "wait, he's back" before you make a comment like that. Looney Toons, Mario Kart, and Mythbusters as well as countless cartoons and other media and remarks throughout the ages have reference to a PERSON slipping on a banana peel. Mythbusters proved it can happen.

Don't say that to a Hispanic player....
Hey, he's Russian...
No, no he's...

Where does it stop? There is no justification. I was raised in the South. I was part of the segregated busing program in elementary school, as was my brother. I'm well aware of racism. I know what to avoid and what not to. This is pathetic. That simple.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:14 PM
  #48
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
i agree with both PR and catwoman (i.e., the delay was likely to bury the ruling)

this will subside and i highly doubt that a GM's going to look past him because of this comment. i feel bad for him but it WAS a lapse in judgment. i'm not saying it's right but there is a reason people are sensitive - we are not that far removed from the civil rights act.


Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
PR is on point here. banana comments can often have racial undertones. while we don't know what barch's intents were, he nonetheless said what he said. he isn't a victim. i have to agree with the decision.
Not at all surprised you're OK with this. Absurd. It's easy to slip on a banana peel, Subban went down fast, not racial. Period. People need to grow up? Toughen up?

And don't say different to me. Unless you were raised in a racially sensitive area and lived in this reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
“He said something like it looked like he was “slipping on a banana peel,’’ the source said. “He didn’t mean anything by it. As far as we’re concerned this issue has been over for days.”
Because Subban is black, the linesman apparently construed the comment as being racially motivated. The league disagreed.

From Flakov Blog.
Trevor Daley and another black player came out and both said they have no idea how such a comment can be construed as racist.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:23 PM
  #49
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth
 
adam graves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: south florida
Country: United States
Posts: 7,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Just because they omitted the word "racially", doesn't mean it isn't there. He was suspended one game for making a racially insensitive remark. It appears the league was able to clearly decide that while the comments were inappropriate, Barch didn't mean for the words to come out the way they did. One game and move on. Barch is not a victim.
Nope.

He was suspended for insensitive coments. The league ruled the comments were not racially motivated, as per Flakov (quoted in an earlier post)

You are already doing what concerns Lausy, CW and I....promulgating something that wasnt concluded.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:23 PM
  #50
LUUUUUIS
¿Qué bolá, Tallón?
 
LUUUUUIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
“He said something like it looked like he was “slipping on a banana peel,’’ the source said. “He didn’t mean anything by it. As far as we’re concerned this issue has been over for days.”
Because Subban is black, the linesman apparently construed the comment as being racially motivated. The league disagreed.

From Flakov Blog.
If the league disagreed. There should be no suspension.

LUUUUUIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.