HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Pants

Old
01-05-2012, 09:12 AM
ChiTownHawks

vCash: 500
Pants

Or as my wife calls them, shorts.

What do you guys have and what do you like/dislike? I just play rec league, but I find that since my league is pretty low level and there are so many dangerous guys out there that protection is a key component. Although I don't need pro level protection.

I would like them to be pretty light as well. I currently have CCM v08s. The level of protection is good and they are not too heavy. The 2 main issues are I hate the zipper closure and the belt is pretty useless. The seem like they are a little too tight when I put them on, but once the game starts they feel a little loose.

I would like to get a new pair with ties in the front and a decent belt. I already tried on Bauer Supreme One80s and I'm not a fan as I feel like the pants go up to my nipples. Also I don't really like the looks or style of Tacklas. You know how they bloom out at the bottom.

Thanks in advance.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 10:11 AM
r3cc0s

I just play rec drop/in and nobody takes slappers, so I generally go for 2 things: lightness and durability

I also prefer not having a padded belt, as I am usually a size large 6'1, big butt & legs, but have a skinny waist and it crinkles and moves padding around (i.e. butt pad and thy pads)

I use 3 sets of pants:
CCM Tack 652 - which already has more spine and thy protection than required, has zippers which I leave unzipped, but has very durable nylon on the outside with gussets where you need

My favorite are my Tackla 3500 - given to me by a buddy who finished up JrA about 5 years ago... super duper light and is well form fitted and yet long enough for me @ a 52. These are way lighter than the Air or the last few series, and uses multiple pieces in the legs and even the butt, so I find its movement is the most natural. The outer is also made of a good quality nylon as are all tackla's, but this is a lower end pant without a padded belt and zippers

I have a cheep pair of $30 Warrior Syko 2010, which are SUPER light, uses a 420d nylon (its OK), and is pretty much basic but does have a tall kidney protector.
I use these quite a bit as they're new and don't stink, but the fit is so/so for me, but thanks to the weight, its unnoticable
Size large unfortunately means that the laces do nothing and I pretty much just chinch the belt super tight to keep them on me.
Being a bit wider and not having all the extra internal foam to pad the pads (like CCMs) keeps it cooler on the inside to... who needs crotch or swass

the biggest difference for me, is going to a 3 in 1 jock and just using some Walmart compression underwear...
keeps that area cool and dry... and coupled with those edge socks, the only thing that gets all sweaty is my shinpads, elbow pads and hips.

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 10:11 AM
AIREAYE

Your CCM V08s are excellent pants. Them and the V06s are probably the BEST price-point pants I've ever seen. I wear Tacklas myself and many people swear by them, best pant manufacturer IMO and most comfortable pants to boot.

It sounds like you tried on the wrong size One80s. Pants should sit on the hip when tightened and not pulled up all the way.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 10:44 AM
thedonger

if you're happy with the protection of your current v08's, check out the current U+ line, particularly the U+ 09 which would be the equivalent pant to the v08.
seems to have the improvements that you didn't like about the v08. no zipper closure but a traditional tie down. belt is better designed over the previous generation. where the belt was "free moving" in the v series, the current series the belt is stitched in place in the current models so no sliding around creating better tightening with less effort.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Stickmata

Tacklas. /thread

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:02 PM
ChiTownHawks

Even though Tacklas just ended the thread I am going to re-open it. I went with the CCM U+09s. Donger you are right basically these are very similar to the ones I have now except they changed the things I did not like.

A little tough to find so hopefully hockey giant isn't lying when they say they are in stock.

Old
01-05-2012, 12:45 PM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
Even though Tacklas just ended the thread I am going to re-open it. I went with the CCM U+09s. Donger you are right basically these are very similar to the ones I have now except they changed the things I did not like.

A little tough to find so hopefully hockey giant isn't lying when they say they are in stock.
Yeah, probably because ccm is coming out with new models this spring.

With hockey giant, their online stock numbers are usually pretty accurate. When you go to check out, if you put a ridiculous quantity in like 500, it will tell you exactly how many they actually have left.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:15 PM
ChiTownHawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
Yeah, probably because ccm is coming out with new models this spring.

With hockey giant, their online stock numbers are usually pretty accurate. When you go to check out, if you put a ridiculous quantity in like 500, it will tell you exactly how many they actually have left.
Figured it was probably b/c of the new line coming out and the fact that this was a 2010 model.

So far the order the order has been processed on my credit card so I hope it will go through. I almost ordered them from Hockey Monkey but then I realized that they always say they have it in stock and then let you know a few days later that they do not. No idea why they don't just list the quantities online.

Old
01-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I wear Tackla 9000's because they have better protection than most pants, are fairly light weight for the amount of protection they have, mobility is better than anything else on the market, and their build quality is outstanding.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:47 PM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I wear Tackla 9000's because they have better protection than most pants, are fairly light weight for the amount of protection they have, mobility is better than anything else on the market, and their build quality is outstanding.
though I agree... most basic pants with reasonable shell is what most people need.

another pant I forgot to mention that's super light and well built is the One35 or One55... I see a ton of JrA/B players rocking them

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Need and want are different things When I moved to D and started blocking shots, I found most pants had almost no protection on the back of the legs. Yeah I suppose I could warrior it on through and go home with battle scars but I'm a fan of generally not being in pain unnecessarily.

Old
01-05-2012, 02:56 PM
edgevolution
GO USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
Or as my wife calls them, shorts
Or as we call them in Minnesota, Breezers

I would recommend Tacklas, though.

edgevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 10:51 PM
Guffaw

I'm in a Tackla Air 9000 and think it's a pretty high level protection pant. I only play pickup and no check men's league, but there's contact and I'm on my butt alot. Combine that with the fact that I'm pretty bony and I need a good pant.

Bauer ONE80's = badly bruised hip bones.
Tackla Air 9000= only slightly bruised hip bones.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 02:23 AM
Doughnuts08

I've been skating in old Louisville TPS pants, and I love em, but they're on their last legs...was debating on getting some Tacklas or Vapor X40's

Doughnuts08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 02:27 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Go Tacklas. My previous pants were Vapor XXV's, equivalent to the X40's. There's pretty much no protection on the back of the legs and the padding sucks. It's like a thin plastic piece on each hip and on the back and a thin piece of foam. The Tacklas are heavy duty padding with plastic in a lot more places. You don't notice the additional weight on ice and the Tacklas have a little more freedom of movement too.

Old
01-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Doughnuts08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Go Tacklas. My previous pants were Vapor XXV's, equivalent to the X40's. There's pretty much no protection on the back of the legs and the padding sucks. It's like a thin plastic piece on each hip and on the back and a thin piece of foam. The Tacklas are heavy duty padding with plastic in a lot more places. You don't notice the additional weight on ice and the Tacklas have a little more freedom of movement too.
I've been slowly replacing all my old gear. Just picked up some Graf 705's, and my pants are the last thing to get. My old TPS pants arent the lightest things in the world, so I dont think the weight of the Tacklas would be an issue at all.

Doughnuts08 is offline   Reply With Quote