HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Ranger Fan Assaulted in Philly (UPDATE: ARREST MADE)

Old
01-05-2012, 01:25 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
So to sum up your point: I'm an ***hole because my fanbase happens to have some complete dip****s among us.
You are great guy, JL. But you can't deny that Philadelphia is a very dangerous city with a very rowdy fanbase. As I said, I love Philly. I want to move back there. But Philly is not a safe haven for outside fans and it can be very, very dangerous to wear your jersey outside there. I don't know if you ever lived in Philly, but it's not a safe place. At all.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:27 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
And it's a MAJOR problem in Philadelphia (and places like Los Angeles, etc.). An already terrible city with a reputation for violence. The Flyers organization should absolutely do something here for the guy's family or something.

Gotta show some support and show that while some of your fans might be animals, you are not.
The fans have. One of our major fan websites has been the leading investigator into the assailants.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...winter-classic

Did what any sensible person would have done. Gathered at much info on the guy then called the Philadelphia PD.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Pizza

Quote:
So to sum up your point: I'm an ***hole because my fanbase happens to have some complete dip****s among us.
Speaking for myself, and to repeat I've met some truly wonderful people from Philly.....BUT the Flyers tradition is truly awkward, IMO.

They are the only team in sport that I can think of that glorifies a brawling, violent history. I do not think it serves the city or it's reputation well.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:31 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Well done, sir. Well done. I love how the " those weren't real Vancouver fans" or "those weren't real Flyer fans" come out from hiding once an incident like this happens. Yes, every city has some bad apples -- but never in a million years would a Rangers fan do what a flyer fan did after the classic. It's as rare as they come to see a Rangers fan assault another teams fan physically at a public place. Verbally? Maybe. But not physically to the extent these classless FLYER FANS went. They severely injured the guy and it's reported he may go into a coma.You can spin it any way you want, they were Flyer fans and it's not the first case and it won't be the last case concerning an incident in that region. You need to look at patterns instead of saying the easy "oh no that's not our real fans". The patterns clearly show the rate of such acts is significant in the "city of brotherly love" over other regions -- and it is Flyers fans that represent that team; do they not? You as a fan are responsible for your actions. What you do will reflect how people look at you, the teams jersey you wear, and fan base. Every city has them but if you follow the news even the slightest, if you follow data the slightest you wouldn't deny the fact that incidents like these happen in Philly more than other places. I go to public places that have their doors open to all walks of life, including fans of other teams. I've been to many and never have I seen a Ranger fan brutally assault and give someone a concussion. You see a lot of the verbal back and forth-- but nothing like we've seen constantly, heard on the news constantly, and reported by PD's constantly out of Philly. Again, spin it any way you want the DATA supports incidents like these happen much more in Philly than other places like NY. Concerning the stage this was and concerning the public attention it garnered ( the winter classic) I stand by my comment that the Flyers organization should apologize for what their fans did in front of Genos steaks. The individual who is in the hospital; if he indeed does have a fractured skull may never be the same again. If you let something slide it's going happens over and over again. Then you come out pulling the same "those aren't the real flyer fans" ****. If someone wearing a Rangers jersey and attending a Rangers game did something like that, I'd feel embarrassed I wouldn't go around giving excuses.
Didn't a guy wearing a Devils jersey get attacked by guys wearing Ranger jerseys outside of The Pebble the last time the two teams played? They dragged him over a guard rail, hit him, and pissed on his hat, according to what I read on the Devils board after that game.

I hate the Flyers, I hate Philadelphia, and I hate their fans. But I learned a long time ago that some of the biggest low life scum I've ever had the misfortune of meeting happens to also root for the same hockey team I do.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Pizza

Quote:
The fans have. One of our major fan websites has been the leading investigator into the assailants.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...winter-classic

Did what any sensible person would have done. Gathered at much info on the guy then called the Philadelphia PD.
The Flyers hosted this event. They should step up.

Old
01-05-2012, 01:35 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
You are great guy, JL. But you can't deny that Philadelphia is a very dangerous city with a very rowdy fanbase. As I said, I love Philly. I want to move back there. But Philly is not a safe haven for outside fans and it can be very, very dangerous to wear your jersey outside there. I don't know if you ever lived in Philly, but it's not a safe place. At all.
I don't doubt that Philly has a LOT of fans that take it too far...it's one of the reasons I'm a Ravens fan. And it definitely is a dangerous place due to a recurrence of incidents. But I was responding to that guy, and let's be honest, similar to this incident, every fanbase on HF will likely have a few posters who are not the brightest candles in the church. But you follow me. I just don't think it's fair to lump me in with this garbage. It's incredibly embarrassing for the good fans to take all this crap from this incident when we've truly done nothing wrong. I wasn't there, I couldn't have stopped them, and I surely don't wish this treatment toward any opposing fan. But it was summed up pretty well with Occidentalist's comment.

Old
01-05-2012, 01:36 PM
jskramer83

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
Is it comfirmed that the link is for the right guy's baby registry?
to get this back on topic, no I have not confirmed it.

All the Reports say that he has a wife and young son, the registry is for westfield, nj which is close to where they say he works, and lastly how many Neil Auricchio Jr's could there be in that vicinity?

with all of that put together decided to take a risk and send the gifts saying, "congrats from all of us ranger fans, and get better soon neal"

worst case scenario it is not him, but we would most likely have a new baby ranger fan!!!!

jskramer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:36 PM
JayMan82

I was actually gonna swing by there for a Cheese Steak with my brother... Turns out I actually played on a roller hockey team with the victim (Neal) at Inman... It's a shame, as he's a pretty relaxed guy (among all his other achievements and the fact that he's a husband/father)... He's at Rangers games all the time with his buddy Mike.

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:40 PM
jskramer83

Jayman since you apparently know him can you confirm this is his Baby Registry,

Old
01-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jskramer83 View Post
to get this back on topic, no I have not confirmed it.

All the Reports say that he has a wife and young son, the registry is for westfield, nj which is close to where they say he works, and lastly how many Neil Auricchio Jr's could there be in that vicinity?

with all of that put together decided to take a risk and send the gifts saying, "congrats from all of us ranger fans, and get better soon neal"

worst case scenario it is not him, but we would most likely have a new baby ranger fan!!!!
Yeah i googled a little and saw that one of the news reports said he just had a baby. The event date on the baby registry is 12/11/2011, so it must be him.
I got two gifts, and signed it from NYR HF boards.com.
If its not him, congrats with the baby whoever you are hehe!

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Pizza

Quote:
I don't doubt that Philly has a LOT of fans that take it too far...it's one of the reasons I'm a Ravens fan. And it definitely is a dangerous place due to a recurrence of incidents. But I was responding to that guy, and let's be honest, similar to this incident, every fanbase on HF will likely have a few posters who are not the brightest candles in the church. But you follow me. I just don't think it's fair to lump me in with this garbage. It's incredibly embarrassing for the good fans to take all this crap from this incident when we've truly done nothing wrong. I wasn't there, I couldn't have stopped them, and I surely don't wish this treatment toward any opposing fan. But it was summed up pretty well with Occidentalist's comment.
That's a totally valid concern, JL. But let me ask you honestly: Do you think the Flyers and their fans are a little too enamored of the Bullies tradition? Is that a fair statement?

Old
01-05-2012, 01:45 PM
Nemchinov13

Hello, fellow fans.

A true story of encountering a Flyer fan in South Jersey (I understand it's not Philly, but none the less).

It was May of 97, ECF of NYR vs Phi. I was 18 y.o. and was a big time raver kid. Friends and I went to a big rave party in the Phi vicinity and the morning after we were going back to Brooklyn. So we stopped at a deli somewhere in South Jersey to get sodas and snacks for the trip home. The deli owner saw our plates and immediately goes "so, you're from NY?". Yes, we're from Brooklyn. "So, you must be Ranger fans?". Yes, I am. "Well, get the **** out of my store. We don't serve no ******* ****** **** Ranger fans". I thought he was joking. Then he pulled a shot gun on us because we weren't moving - we were too perplexed. 2nd time in my life I've had a gun pointing at me. Now, perhaps Philadelphians are a nice and kind bunch. May be it's only South Jersey Flyer fans who hate Ranger fans to the point of pointing their weapons at us. I don't know. But after reading what happened to that poor gentleman, I'm not really surprised.

Wasn't there a story how a pack of Flyer fans jumped a Ranger fan in Garden in recent years?

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:46 PM
MadHookUp

Rangers fan here, living in PA for 28 years. Its true that every fan base has these "bad fans." But when it comes to Philly, they just have more of them. I went to the Winter Classic and it was probably my best experience with Flyers fans to date. One guy even hugged me before the game because it was such a special event and he was excited.

But going to any game in Philly while wearing another teams jersey is a definite risk on your own well being. The stadium is just 40 minutes from my house, and I travel the 2.5+ hours to NY to see my games. Not only is it better at the garden, I dont feel my life is at risk.

The last time I went to a Rangers vs Flyers game in Philly, my wife and I were jogging to our car to try and beat the traffic. A Flyers fan pretty much chased us from the building to our car and screaming obscenities at us.

I find the best approach is just to ignore these people. Dont look at them, not respond to anything they say, then just hope they dont attack you for no reason. The entire time this guy was chasing us, I didnt say a single word.

My friend went to an Eagles game. After the game a guy was leaving with a Redskins jersey on. He was walking with his 8 year old son, not saying a word to anyone. Then a bunch of Eagles fan grabbed a metal trash can and beat the guy unconscious in front of his kid. So even if you follow my advice, you still may not be safe. Definitely think twice before coming to Philly.

MadHookUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:48 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Speaking for myself, and to repeat I've met some truly wonderful people from Philly.....BUT the Flyers tradition is truly awkward, IMO.

They are the only team in sport that I can think of that glorifies a brawling, violent history. I do not think it serves the city or it's reputation well.
Depends on what side of the fence you are on. Some may say Scott Stevens was a cheapshot artist, others thing he's one of the greatest defenders of all time.

To me, most fans glorify the Bullies because they brought the championship to Philadelphia, and leave the "brawls" as a sign of the time...a time that's long gone and will never return. Nonetheless, it is our heritage and you have to take the good with the bad. The Bullies started after the Flyers took a cheap shot (can't remember the player that got knocked out) and to us the Bullies represent not backing down from anything and giving it all that you got. At least that's how I've always looked at it. Although following in line with the side of the fence argument, obviously there are others that interpret it differently.

Old
01-05-2012, 01:52 PM
JayMan82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskramer83 View Post
Jayman since you apparently know him can you confirm this is his Baby Registry,
Obvious has been stated already...

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:56 PM
jskramer83

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan82 View Post
Obvious has been stated already...
Now that this for the most part has been confirmed, lets try and keep this thread for people who would like to show support to a fellow ranger fan

rather then bickering about who has the worse fan base.

Old
01-05-2012, 01:56 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I don't want to turn this into a crap fest. But in an effort to approach this honestly I'll copy my post in the other thread.

"Pretty much every fan base has these type of hooligans
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
I hope Woodbridge PD finds the guys first, bring in some of the guys Military buddies and then tune these fools up.
ooh! ooh! i found one!

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:58 PM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHookUp View Post

My friend went to an Eagles game. After the game a guy was leaving with a Redskins jersey on. He was walking with his 8 year old son, not saying a word to anyone. Then a bunch of Eagles fan grabbed a metal trash can and beat the guy unconscious in front of his kid. So even if you follow my advice, you still may not be safe. Definitely think twice before coming to Philly.
This accident has made newspapers. I've read it somewhere and I remember feeling rage and shame of being a human. It's no wonder that my top two most hated franchises are the Flyers and the Eagles.

Every fanbase has dirtbags that make you feel ashamed. But Philadelphia fans are the worst in this regard. Obviously, not every Phi sports fan is a dirtbag. But it seems they have the most dirtbags in their ranks.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Stepan2Gaborik

Seems like the only safe bet in Philly is the 76ers

Stepan2Gaborik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:08 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Yes, every city has some bad apples -- but never in a million years would a Rangers fan do what a flyer fan did after the classic.
Sorry, but this simply isn't true. There was an incident outside the Rock earlier this year after the Devils game where a bunch of Ranger fans jumped a Devils fan and beat the **** out of him.

Believing that our city is devoid of animals is just as naive as the people in Philly who think that their city is no worse than any other.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:09 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Depends on what side of the fence you are on. Some may say Scott Stevens was a cheapshot artist, others thing he's one of the greatest defenders of all time.

To me, most fans glorify the Bullies because they brought the championship to Philadelphia, and leave the "brawls" as a sign of the time...a time that's long gone and will never return. Nonetheless, it is our heritage and you have to take the good with the bad. The Bullies started after the Flyers took a cheap shot (can't remember the player that got knocked out) and to us the Bullies represent not backing down from anything and giving it all that you got. At least that's how I've always looked at it. Although following in line with the side of the fence argument, obviously there are others that interpret it differently.
I appreciate what your trying to say here. I don't want to be the one to side track the purpose of a well meaning thread. We have a disagreement. I think the way the Flyers continue to attempt to capitalize on a questionable history is and will continue to be a problem for the City of Philadelphia and it's reputation. I'll leave it at that.

Old
01-05-2012, 02:14 PM
Stepan2Gaborik

Next flyers game I wanna hear a "we want Genos" chant

Stepan2Gaborik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:16 PM
clmetsfan

So seriously, is there someone willing to coordinate with JayMan to set up a fund that we get to this guy?

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

People are ******** everywhere. NYC is one of the most aggressive places in the world. Philly has an awful rep, and this doesn't help it.

Don't make a mistake of seeing a Flyers jersey attack a Rangers jersey. That was a stupid, immature, probably drunk man, who happened to be in a jersey. This was not about two cities, this was about two men.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:20 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Sorry, but this simply isn't true. There was an incident outside the Rock earlier this year after the Devils game where a bunch of Ranger fans jumped a Devils fan and beat the **** out of him.

Believing that our city is devoid of animals is just as naive as the people in Philly who think that their city is no worse than any other.
what all of these stories lack is context. the incidents where guys get quietly jumped are disturbing but do some of these have back stories? like **** talking during the match? or are they truly random acts of violence? those ones are truly detestable. even if there is some amount of **** talking, the outcome is unacceptable. sometimes 2 guys just get into it and a bunch of friends jump in and suddenly someone is outnumbered. in those cases, i look to see just how bad the victim turns out. if 2 guys fight, and then some friends jump in, the outnumbered guy will get messed up but if the jumpers are civil, the guy comes out with bruises. if they aren't, the victim ends up seriously injured, hospitalized, broken bones, head injuries...

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote