HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ruff ready to ramp up Miller

Old
01-05-2012, 01:48 PM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Ruff ready to ramp up Miller

Quote:
"I haven't got a set rotation now. My main focus has been to have both goaltenders contribute. I really want to get Ryan going. If he's feeling comfortable, playing well and not tired, I'm going to try to play him a little more and see if that helps him. Obviously Jhonas (Enroth), before last game, went through a real tough stretch too. It was good to see that both guys can help us put points on the board. Really my main focus, and I know we've got a lot of hockey coming up here, would be to try to get Ryan on a run and let him run with it."
http://wgr550.com/Ruff-Ready-to-Ramp-Up-Miller/11915774

Here we go again....

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:49 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:49 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
"Yep, I still don't know how to manage goalies!" - Lindy Ruff

sba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:52 PM
CrazyPsycho

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no

CrazyPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Sabretip

Anyone else get the sense that Ruff's favorite movie is "Groundhog Day"?

Old
01-05-2012, 01:56 PM
sabresfan129103

neither guy has been that great. TBH I don't even know what a good answer is here.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:57 PM
DixonWard15

is anyone really surprised by this? Miller is the franchise and Ruff believes in him more than any other player so he will ride Miller until the wheels come off.

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:01 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Let's guess as to when Enroth's next game will be.

I'll say 2/10 against Dallas.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:02 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonWard15 View Post
is anyone really surprised by this? Miller is the franchise and Ruff believes in him more than any other player so he will ride Miller until the wheels come off.
This about sums it up.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Look at Enroth's numbers in his last two starts in Raleigh. Then look at the schedule and see a back-to-back on Friday and Saturday. Then look at the standings and see that Saturday's game is against a team you're in direct competition with for a playoff spot, so you could have a rested Miller for that more important game.

Then look at Lindy Ruff being an obstinent a-hole.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:05 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Fixed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruff on WGR550
"I haven't got a set rotation now. My main focus has been to have both goaltenders contribute. I really want to get Ryan going. If he's feeling comfortable, playing well and not tired, I'm going to try to play him a little more and see if that helps him. Obviously Marty (Biron), before last game, went through a real tough stretch too. It was good to see that both guys can help us put points on the board. Really my main focus, and I know we've got a lot of hockey coming up here, would be to try to get Ryan on a run and let him run with it."
January 2006 & January 2007

Quote:
"I haven't got a set rotation now. My main focus has been to have both goaltenders contribute. I really want to get Ryan going. If he's feeling comfortable, playing well and not tired, I'm going to try to play him a little more and see if that helps him. Obviously Jocelyn (Thibault), before last game, went through a real tough stretch too. It was good to see that both guys can help us put points on the board. Really my main focus, and I know we've got a lot of hockey coming up here, would be to try to get Ryan on a run and let him run with it."
January 2008

Quote:
"I haven't got a set rotation now. My main focus has been to have both goaltenders contribute. I really want to get Ryan going. If he's feeling comfortable, playing well and not tired, I'm going to try to play him a little more and see if that helps him. Obviously Patty (Lalime), before last game, went through a real tough stretch too. It was good to see that both guys can help us put points on the board. Really my main focus, and I know we've got a lot of hockey coming up here, would be to try to get Ryan on a run and let him run with it."
January 2009 & January 2010

Quote:
"I haven't got a set rotation now. My main focus has been to have both goaltenders contribute. I really want to get Ryan going. If he's feeling comfortable, playing well and not tired, I'm going to try to play him a little more and see if that helps him. Obviously Jhonas (Enroth), before last game, went through a real tough stretch too. It was good to see that both guys can help us put points on the board. Really my main focus, and I know we've got a lot of hockey coming up here, would be to try to get Ryan on a run and let him run with it."
January 2011

Quote:
"I haven't got a set rotation now. My main focus has been to have both goaltenders contribute. I really want to get Ryan going. If he's feeling comfortable, playing well and not tired, I'm going to try to play him a little more and see if that helps him. Obviously both Jhonas (Enroth) and Ryan, before last game, went through a real tough stretch too. It was good to see that both guys can help us put points on the board. Really my main focus, and I know we've got a lot of hockey coming up here, would be to try to trade Ryan, and let Jonas Hiller run with it."
January 2012

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:06 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Yup - the same formula that's worked so well for the Sabres for the past 5 years.

But, hey, why not try it again? Burning out Miller to make the playoffs, only to become roadkill in the 1st round, at least puts an end to the media questions about who's starting from game to game, right?.

Old
01-05-2012, 02:17 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

What do you guys want?

- The Sabres to make the playoffs and have a chance.

OR

- The Sabres miss the playoffs and have a rested goaltender.

No matter what Ruff does here, people are going to complain about it.

SackTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:25 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
What do you guys want?

OR

I want:
-the Sabres to play better team defense so that both goalies have a better shot at winning whenever they play.
-Enroth to close his 5-hole better.
-Miller to protect the high corners better.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Zip15

Quote:
What do you guys want?

OR

I want Ruff to use the backup goaltender who has played well when he hasn't had to string together several starts in a row, especially when we're playing back-to-backs. I want Ruff to look at things like how players have performed against certain teams and in certain buildings.

At RBC Center:

Miller: 3-1-4, 3.15 GAA, .900
Enroth: 2-0-0, 0.49 GAA, .986

Neither is a significant sample size, but that's what you have to work with. Who knows why Carolina has struggled in two games against Enroth. Maybe Jhonas sees the puck well in that building. Maybe Carolina struggles with his unconventional style. Whatever it is, it's worked in two starts, so stick with it. Heading into a back-to-back, why not ride Enroth's white hot play in that building and then come back with a rested Miller against Winnipeg? Makes sense to me.

Old
01-05-2012, 02:41 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Past performance does not guarantee future results. Just because a particular player has performed well in the past in a given building in the past doesn't mean that player will continue to do so.

The book is out on Enroth. He played well against Ottawa, but didn't get the win. I'd like to say he deserved it, but nobody gives Miller the same consideration when the team doesn't show up for him, so I'm not going to now.

This hockey team is playing like trash right now. Neither goalie can stop this slide on his own, so Ruff is betting that the one with the larger body of work is going to give him the best chance to win games. I have no problem with that.

Old
01-05-2012, 02:49 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Past performance does not guarantee future results. Just because a particular player has performed well in the past in a given building in the past doesn't mean that player will continue to do so.
I agree with all that. At the same time, why not say to Carolina that we're going to play him against you until you can beat him, at least in the regular season? Maybe he's in their head a little bit. But he's succeeded there, and I'm a firm believer in playing certain matchups when you have them, especially when it makes sense in a back-to-back context.

Look, it's a back-to-back. Most every team now plays both goaltenders in their back-to-backs, especially when they have a strong backup, which Enroth is.

Old
01-05-2012, 02:50 PM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Anyone else get the sense that Ruff's favorite movie is "Groundhog Day"?
It actually is. No lie, he was at one of the Buffalo awards dinners in the past couple of years and stated so.......

static80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:53 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

If Miller starts every beck to back from here on out, I think it's dumb, and Ruff should rightly be criticized.

Until that happens, this is just a tempest in a teapot, and premptive Lindy bashing. Lindy is saying he wants to get Miller going. He's that franchise goalie. That's what he SHOULD be doing. If Enroth is stapled to the pine for 15 games, then people should be jumping on Ruff. Not now.

Old
01-05-2012, 02:56 PM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

vCash: 300
Neither goalie deserves the coach's confidence as per their play this season.

drinking bleach irl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Kyndig86

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
I want:
-the Sabres to play better team defense so that both goalies have a better shot at winning whenever they play.
-Enroth to close his 5-hole better.
-Miller to protect the high corners better.
This. Really bad turnovers in their own zone and on top of that both goalies always letting in softies.

I wouldn't mind seeing Miller traded personally hes being paid nearly 5x that of Enroth to show hes no better than him, if not worse this year. Its gotten to the point where I joke around because Miller hasn't let in at least 3 goals yet in a game.

Kyndig86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Makes sense to me. The Sabres can't do any damage in the playoffs if they don't get there and I don't see it happening unless they get Miller going. He's only played in 23 of the first 39 games. Fatigue should be a non-factor at this point.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:59 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ellis Problems View Post
Neither goalie deserves the coach's confidence as per their play this season.
This sums things up better than I did.

Old
01-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
What do you guys want?

OR

Those aren't the only options. Playing Miller 3 out of every 4, which is what most of us want/wanted anyway, could get you in the playoffs with a non-exhausted goalie. And there are other options beyond that, too.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:05 PM
Kyndig86

Quote:

The book is out on Enroth. He played well against Ottawa, but didn't get the win. I'd like to say he deserved it, but nobody gives Miller the same consideration when the team doesn't show up for him, so I'm not going to now.

This hockey team is playing like trash right now. Neither goalie can stop this slide on his own, so Ruff is betting that the one with the larger body of work is going to give him the best chance to win games. I have no problem with that.
You do realize he made 44 saves on 46 shots right? If that was Miller most people would probably say "See that's why hes our starter."

Kyndig86 is offline   Reply With Quote