HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ranger Fan Assaulted in Philly (UPDATE: ARREST MADE)

Old
01-05-2012, 02:25 PM
Abooch68

vCash: 500
I sent them the play tray from the registry. The date was last month but hey it's the thought that counts..

Last edited by Abooch68: 01-05-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Abooch68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:25 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
I've been hearing that a few Philly fans created a group to hunt down the attackers.

Seriously hope they find these guys, it was a sporting event.....a regular season sporting event.

Bob Richards is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:27 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
what all of these stories lack is context. the incidents where guys get quietly jumped are disturbing but do some of these have back stories? like **** talking during the match? or are they truly random acts of violence? those ones are truly detestable. even if there is some amount of **** talking, the outcome is unacceptable. sometimes 2 guys just get into it and a bunch of friends jump in and suddenly someone is outnumbered. in those cases, i look to see just how bad the victim turns out. if 2 guys fight, and then some friends jump in, the outnumbered guy will get messed up but if the jumpers are civil, the guy comes out with bruises. if they aren't, the victim ends up seriously injured, hospitalized, broken bones, head injuries...
Obviously every incident like this has its own unique backstory, and maybe the guy in the Devils jersey did carry some responsibility by provoking them (though somehow I doubt it, and even if there was trash talk, nothing excuses a 5-on-1 beating).

My point is that for us to sit here on our high horse and say that such a thing would NEVER happen in sweet old NYC is just plain ignorant.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:27 PM
MadHookUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
what all of these stories lack is context. the incidents where guys get quietly jumped are disturbing but do some of these have back stories
In the video at Genos, it sounded as if the Rangers fan was telling the Flyers fan is calm down or back up. Forgot the exact words. Then the Flyers fan charges in and starts throwing punches. I am sure something was said/done beforehand to cause someone to break out a cell phone and start recording it.

Since I play hockey and live in PA, I have TONS of friends that are Flyers fans. On facebook I have seen a couple call out these actions for what they are... disgusting. But the sad thing is that a lot of Fans are proud of this behavior. Some people blame the Rangers fan for being "stupid" for going to Genos. As if it was partly their fault.

MadHookUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:53 PM
jskramer83

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
So seriously, is there someone willing to coordinate with JayMan to set up a fund that we get to this guy?

Nice thought, but probably easier just to buy something off the baby registry, as support.

There are products there that haven't been picked up!

jskramer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:54 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Sorry, but this simply isn't true. There was an incident outside the Rock earlier this year after the Devils game where a bunch of Ranger fans jumped a Devils fan and beat the **** out of him.

Believing that our city is devoid of animals is just as naive as the people in Philly who think that their city is no worse than any other.
You can believe what you want, but from my experiences and from reports I've seen Philly takes the cake when it comes to acts like this.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:59 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Obviously every incident like this has its own unique backstory, and maybe the guy in the Devils jersey did carry some responsibility by provoking them (though somehow I doubt it, and even if there was trash talk, nothing excuses a 5-on-1 beating).

My point is that for us to sit here on our high horse and say that such a thing would NEVER happen in sweet old NYC is just plain ignorant.
It's more about which city you run a higher risk of seeing something like this in...Look at patterns, etc.

You can't even compare NYC to Philly. Our folks are MUCH MORE TOLERANT in public places when compared to a place like Philly.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:07 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
People are ******** everywhere. NYC is one of the most aggressive places in the world. Philly has an awful rep, and this doesn't help it.

Don't make a mistake of seeing a Flyers jersey attack a Rangers jersey. That was a stupid, immature, probably drunk man, who happened to be in a jersey. This was not about two cities, this was about two men.
Again, having lived there, that is just not true.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
You are great guy, JL. But you can't deny that Philadelphia is a very dangerous city with a very rowdy fanbase. As I said, I love Philly. I want to move back there. But Philly is not a safe haven for outside fans and it can be very, very dangerous to wear your jersey outside there. I don't know if you ever lived in Philly, but it's not a safe place. At all.
This is the sad truth. You'll find plenty of normal, civil people who have the proper perspective about sports in Philly, but you'll also find plenty of despicable people who take it way too seriously and resort to violence out of some displaced sense of pride, machismo, and territorialism. The stigma about Philly fans is unfortunate, but I can't say it's not warranted.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:12 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
So seriously, is there someone willing to coordinate with JayMan to set up a fund that we get to this guy?
Broadstreethockey.com, the site which has led the charge in the vigilante search for the assailants, is already doing something like this, if you want to get involved.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...were-assaulted

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:13 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
This is the sad truth. You'll find plenty of normal, civil people who have the proper perspective about sports in Philly, but you'll also find plenty of despicable people who take it way too seriously and resort to violence out of some displaced sense of pride, machismo, and territorialism. The stigma about Philly fans is unfortunate, but I can't say it's not warranted.
Bingo. I LOVE the city. I miss it dearly. But I would never, ever wear a Giants or Rangers jersey out and about unless I was in Center City during the day. ****, I've even seen people get hassled on South Street in broad daylight.

It's just how Philly is. They love their sports just a bit too much.

I will forever love the architecture of the city, though They preserve their history so much better than New York does.

I'm glad that the non-violent, non-neanderthal Philly fans are doing something about this. Great to see. Probably sick of morons like #28 ruining everything.

Old
01-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Moosehead777

I wouldnt be caught dead in Philly its a filthy dump. If the only thing Philly has to look forward to is sporting events that shows you what a waste of life they are.

Moosehead777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:32 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead777 View Post
I wouldnt be caught dead in Philly its a filthy dump. If the only thing Philly has to look forward to is sporting events that shows you what a waste of life they are.
Shows that you have never been there.

Old
01-05-2012, 03:38 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Shows that you have never been there.
I've been there many times, and I always can't wait to leave. The city itself is nice enough, plenty of nice buildings and such, but the people ruin the experience.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:45 PM
3Four3

If only they could set the trial up here in NYC so those fans could get acquainted with another team in blue: The NYPD.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:49 PM
NYRKindms

so just so I understand everyone.

Most if not all of you calling this disgusting don't object to someone getting a beating as long as it isn't a Ranger fan ?

the NYPD comment above, the "I hope his cop buddies find them first" etc etc

So your problem isn't so much with violence, just who it is directed at ?

NYRKindms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:58 PM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKindms View Post
so just so I understand everyone.

Most if not all of you calling this disgusting don't object to someone getting a beating as long as it isn't a Ranger fan ?

the NYPD comment above, the "I hope his cop buddies find them first" etc etc

So your problem isn't so much with violence, just who it is directed at ?
If Ranger fans start something and they get beat as a result, they shouldn't cry foul.

This was not the case here. Just a group of Philly dumbasses who not only provoked the fight but beat two fans senselessly.

The only thing that irritates me more is when there are even more people assaulting an individual and they proceed to do head stomps.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 04:06 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHookUp View Post
In the video at Genos, it sounded as if the Rangers fan was telling the Flyers fan is calm down or back up. Forgot the exact words. Then the Flyers fan charges in and starts throwing punches. I am sure something was said/done beforehand to cause someone to break out a cell phone and start recording it.

Since I play hockey and live in PA, I have TONS of friends that are Flyers fans. On facebook I have seen a couple call out these actions for what they are... disgusting. But the sad thing is that a lot of Fans are proud of this behavior. Some people blame the Rangers fan for being "stupid" for going to Genos. As if it was partly their fault.
Unfortunately, this would seem to be the rationale over on the Flyers board. It's a shame really. I keep seeing sentiments expressed by Flyers fans that even though they deplore the violence, they like that people are afraid of them as a fan base. Cool, huh?

This just reenforces the stereo types about Philly and it's fans. A fan base best known for throwing ice balls at Santa. I hope you help find the jack wagon that did this, but you guys are not helping yourselves here. The Flyers as an organization should be front and center trying to help the victims and their families. Hope we see that.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 04:11 PM
park rangers
Optimist

First thing that popped into my mind after watching that video: was if the people standing around watching (most in Flyers apparel) would of helped the victims had they been flyers fans...basically what im saying is, if the Flyer fans were victims and Ranger fans were the assailants, would those people step in?

This goes back to what another poster said, at that point it's not about what team you root for or what city you're from. I'ts sickening how no one made a real attempt to stop them.

park rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 04:19 PM
jskramer83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Unfortunately, this would seem to be the rationale over on the Flyers board. It's a shame really. I keep seeing sentiments expressed by Flyers fans that even though they deplore the violence, they like that people are afraid of them as a fan base. Cool, huh?

This just reenforces the stereo types about Philly and it's fans. A fan base best known for throwing ice balls at Santa. I hope you help find the jack wagon that did this, but you guys are not helping yourselves here. The Flyers as an organization should be front and center trying to help the victims and their families. Hope we see that.

Really not one person on the Philly board is trying to say what happened is a good thing. I think they do have a point that this does happen all over the place, and it does. It even happens in Indy, when the Jet Fan got tazered by the cop.

But real embarrassing part about this is that someone video taped this, and then came out bragging about it.

What type of sick idiots do such a thing, brag about it the next day, and post evidence that they did it. What really needs to be in question is the quality of education in Philly, since it seems intelligence doesn't seem to be their strong point.

Now to get back to the main point here, how many of you actually helped by sending something from the registry?

jskramer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

It's driving me nuts that no arrests have been made.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 04:31 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
It's driving me nuts that no arrests have been made.
The guy who bragged on facebook and his buddies are probably in a precinct right now being interrogated

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 04:40 PM
chip chipperson*

i can't believe people stood there and watched. i would not be able to control my urge to do something. as an oif vet myself, i can't wait for these cowards to get caught. and they will get caught. its a waiting game right now.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 04:51 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskramer83 View Post
Really not one person on the Philly board is trying to say what happened is a good thing.
To be crystal clear that is not what I said. I said that though all were expressing regret, embarrassment, anger, etc. there was satisfaction that people were scared of the Flyer fan base.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 04:55 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 157
The comments I've seen are a lot of "that doesn't represent us, we're sorry about the war vet getting beat up", almost always followed by "the Giants are going to lose this weekend!!"

Kind of reminds me of the Penn State scandal where lions fans said, "we're sorry that little boy got a** r***d, now beat Nebraska on Saturday!!"

Those savages in Philadelphia will just never get it

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote