HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's that coming out of the woodwork???

Old
01-05-2012, 05:29 AM
jmb9191

vCash: 500
What's that coming out of the woodwork???

Ahh...Rangers fans.

Its past the New Year, so do not tell me it is too early to start judging what kind of team we have here....and disclaimer: this is all under the condition IF WE PLAY THE WE HAVE THUS FAR...

Don't get me wrong, I know there are PLENTY of huge Rangers fans out there. I also know there are plenty of die hard Yankee fans out there, so don't get me wrong. But this is New York, and it houses multiple teams in each sport, so there are a lot of people out there to have buy your hat.

This thread isn't one about how good we are. But I know this is a good team that is going to make a run. We're a really good team, with a really good head coach, who had a really good idea about how to build a hockey team, and then he and Slats did it. We're good, and were gonna be around.

Watch this Ranger team make some sort of run into the playoffs or finish with a really good record. The Rangers will BLOW UP. You will see Rangers left and right. You walk on the streets of Manhattan today, you aren't seeing a lot of Ranger stuff left and right...its pretty rare. You see Jets/Giants, Yankees/Mets, and Knicks. Rangers is rare.

I go to Indiana University which houses a lot of kids from Illinois. Wherever you go, there is a Patrick Kane jersey. It is unreal. They are that cities favorite team. Why? Because they won.

This city will be ALL NEW YORK RANGERS if this team continues to play this way. You're gonna start seeing people come out of the woodwork left and right. I was 2 and a half in 94 so I don't remember anything, I have no idea what it was like, but I know it'll be a lot different than the world I grew up in with 7 years of no playoffs and then a lockout that really hurt the NHL's popularity.

And i'm gonna be honest, i'm really hoping to see it. Go Rangers, and take pride in knowing that you are True Blue.

jmb9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 05:44 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Already starting to see it in NJ.

01-05-2012, 07:14 AM
Wamsutta
I'm Glen Sather IRL

More support for the team is never a bad thing. Those who were there from the beginning will know it, those who weren't aren't hurting anyone. I'd love to see the Rangers get the respect and recognition they deserve.

Wamsutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 07:33 AM
KingLundqvistXXX
Confetti & Balloons

At least we'll never be as bad as the bandwagoner teams that collected all those 1st overall picks. I don't even have to name them, we all know who they are.

Our Rangers are very likeable because they are a well put together team with a lot of homegrown goodness and with some added UFA superstar talent. A great receipe if you ask me.

KingLundqvistXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 07:44 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Special View Post
Already starting to see it in NJ.
Agree.

It is starting, people are starting to take notice/feel something special can happen.

Freaking Modells by Ikea/Garden State Plaza has Rangers jerseys in the front window. No Giants, no Jets, RANGERS...and Devils, but hockey is getting its recognition which is rare.

When the Rangers won in 94 the whole city was loony for Rangers. After the parade you could find Rangers gear in the oddest places. In China town. There were skinned chickens hanging in the windows and Rangers Stanley Cup apparel. Odd combo.

My entire class got detention for chanting 1994 and 19Never (to the Devils).

It was off the hook.

I never had a problem finding HUGE street hockey games. Everyday. Like 20 kids. For the years following that Cup run.

The Rangers win, and this market will blow up with hockey again for a few years.

Its natural.

Of course, the Devils have won 3 times since then, and no one gives a ****. LOL.

Its a Rangers market, waiting for them to do it.

People who weren't kids in 94 old enough to remember or were adults too wrapped up in adult life think im nuts when I say it. I was a 10-12 year old kid in the subs in NJ. It was huge. HUGE. Hockey around here was never as popular in my lifetime as it was the years surrounding 1994. Everyone played NHL 94 too.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 01-05-2012 at 07:51 AM.
SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:35 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

The buzz is definitely on at work. We have a decent amount of hockey fans already, but even the non hockey fans are talking about the Rangers more than I've heard on the past.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:59 AM
MorrisWanchuk

around the UWS where i live it just used to be me and some homeless guys that went around in NYR gear. i've seen a few more tees and hats recently

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 10:07 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I remember back in 94, kids would be on the bus and even in class chanting "Let's Go Rangers!" Was so crazy to see being that I was always one of the few Rangers fans that I knew when I was younger (still is that way).

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 10:18 AM
skroob**

I have not noticed an up-tick yet. Its still early. We won't see the real band-wagoners till we hit the 3rd round. And you cant really blame them for waiting that long... its just that it will take that long till the d-bag newspapers and such start to actually write stories.

Tell me, we are in 1st place in the NHL for a while now.... or at least have been near the top.... how many back-pages have you seen so for for us???

skroob** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 10:35 AM
redbranch

I'm seeing a ton more rangers gear at the rink by me

redbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:28 PM
Occidentalist
Beernerd

Meh. It happens. Happens in every sport with every team that enjoys success. Heck, prior to 2004 you couldn't find a Red Sox hat outside of Boston and would have been hard pressed to spot one in Boston. One World Series later (talking between 2004-2007) and I've seen Boston gear as far away as Sweden. Same thing with the Phillies.

You're going to see some increase in bandwagon fandom with the success they're having. It's still the regular season though. If the Rangers make it through the first round, I think it will really explode as people who were on the fence figure they're a team that could make a run.

And really what does it matter? It's not like we'll have to really interact with these new fans who don't know names like Kisio, Sandstrom, Sundstrom, Beukeboom...never sat through a million Vanbiesbrouck Volvo commercials...never heard Sam Rosen together with John Davidson...and never saw Leetch/Messier/Graves/Richter play. For those discussions, for those memories, we have our friends and family, both on HFBoards and off.

This team is the youngest in the league, has staying power, and as revealed by the injury-plagued blueliners, has tremendous depth. It's been just short of two decades since Lord Stanley resided in the Big Apple. New York is about to become Hockeytown again. As with pretty much all parties, the more the merrier.

Occidentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:40 PM
Hophog

I'm a Pens fan so obviously I'll never be a Ranger's fan but I do think that this is one of the more likeable teams you've had in years. I find myself pulling for the Ranger's whenever I catch them playing someone other than Pittsburgh. I loved Rupp's salute mocking Jagr in the classic. I think 24/7 has a lot to do with it too. Clearly the more likeable team out of the two. Laviolette's run in with Ott just cemented his spot as a typcial arrogant Phila A**hole as well. I'm sure my feelings will change if you guys continue on this tear and if we should meet in the playoffs my good feelings will immediately become hateful but as of right now I'm enjoying watching you guys spank and frustrate Philly every chance you get. Keep up the good work. Cheers!

Hophog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:43 PM
ThisYearsModel

Seeing it a road games too. More and more Ranger fans showing up for the games. The representation in Phoenix was outstanding.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:50 PM
GottaAgreeWichuThere

I go to Indiana University, too. Small world lol

On topic though, the combination of 24/7, the winter classic, and the success the Rangers are having is definitely going to help their popularity.

GottaAgreeWichuThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

During the winter classic, it was all over my facebook. I felt like it was october and yankee playoffs with all the pikers.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:58 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb9191 View Post
Ahh...Rangers fans.

Its past the New Year, so do not tell me it is too early to start judging what kind of team we have here....and disclaimer: this is all under the condition IF WE PLAY THE WE HAVE THUS FAR...

Don't get me wrong, I know there are PLENTY of huge Rangers fans out there. I also know there are plenty of die hard Yankee fans out there, so don't get me wrong. But this is New York, and it houses multiple teams in each sport, so there are a lot of people out there to have buy your hat.

This thread isn't one about how good we are. But I know this is a good team that is going to make a run. We're a really good team, with a really good head coach, who had a really good idea about how to build a hockey team, and then he and Slats did it. We're good, and were gonna be around.

Watch this Ranger team make some sort of run into the playoffs or finish with a really good record. The Rangers will BLOW UP. You will see Rangers left and right. You walk on the streets of Manhattan today, you aren't seeing a lot of Ranger stuff left and right...its pretty rare. You see Jets/Giants, Yankees/Mets, and Knicks. Rangers is rare.

I go to Indiana University which houses a lot of kids from Illinois. Wherever you go, there is a Patrick Kane jersey. It is unreal. They are that cities favorite team. Why? Because they won.

This city will be ALL NEW YORK RANGERS if this team continues to play this way. You're gonna start seeing people come out of the woodwork left and right. I was 2 and a half in 94 so I don't remember anything, I have no idea what it was like, but I know it'll be a lot different than the world I grew up in with 7 years of no playoffs and then a lockout that really hurt the NHL's popularity.

And i'm gonna be honest, i'm really hoping to see it. Go Rangers, and take pride in knowing that you are True Blue.
It's the NY way....

1994 was especially off the hook because the Rangers and the Knicks were surging at the same time. We never got a break that spring night after night it was insane.. ... it was a wild weird and wonderful spring for NY sports fans

01-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Occidentalist
Beernerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
It's the NY way....

1994 was especially off the hook because the Rangers and the Knicks were surging at the same time. We never got a break that spring night after night it was insane.. ... it was a wild weird and wonderful spring for NY sports fans
Yeah I have to admit I am a little envious of Boston fans in the past 10 years or so with 2 World Series, 3 Superbowl wins, an NBA title and a Stanley Cup. Mostly because I remember how it was between 94 and 2007 with a Stanley Cup, 2 Championship appearances by the Knicks, 4 World Series wins by the Yanks, and a Superbowl win. Was a good time to be a Rangers/Yankees/Giants/Knicks fan.

Occidentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Pizza

It's normal, seen it before many, many times. It's part of the fun. Good times.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:28 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
around the UWS where i live it just used to be me and some homeless guys that went around in NYR gear. i've seen a few more tees and hats recently
Also on the UWS. One night a couple of weeks ago I was walking around in my jersey and 3 different strangers asked me whether the Rangers won or not. One guy was on a motorcyle stopped at a light and he called out to me from the street.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:40 PM
bettercallstaal
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Also on the UWS. One night a couple of weeks ago I was walking around in my jersey and 3 different strangers asked me whether the Rangers won or not. One guy was on a motorcyle stopped at a light and he called out to me from the street.
That happens every time I walk to grand central from the garden after a game. Most of the time I have to sigh and say no. I have really bad luck when I go see games.

bettercallstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:52 PM
FultonReed
ew, you did what?

a couple weeks ago, i was walking down Ocean Parkway in Brooklyn (between Ave. W and Kings Highway) wearing my jersey and some dude driving down towards Coney honked and stuck his fist out to his windshield. pretty sure we won the game that night, too haha it's definitely really awesome seeing more people show Ranger pride.

FultonReed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 04:07 PM
haveandare

After the winter classic my facebook was covered in Rangers victory posts from all sorts of people that I never really thought followed hockey before. I also notice a lot more people start talking Rangers with me semi-randomly if I have my hat or shirt on.

I was only 7 in 1994 but it was the first time I ever really watched hockey and it was huge - everybody was so into it and I lived about 15 miles from the city. I can't even imagine what the city itself must have been like.

I'm pretty sure it was reported that Torts told Richards that winning in New York would be "bigger than anything," and that was a part of his deciding to come here. It's the truth. New York would go absolutely crazy with hockey if this team made a really serious playoff run.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 04:56 PM
Gardner McKay
Niles, Pls.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hophog View Post
I'm a Pens fan so obviously I'll never be a Ranger's fan but I do think that this is one of the more likeable teams you've had in years. I find myself pulling for the Ranger's whenever I catch them playing someone other than Pittsburgh. I loved Rupp's salute mocking Jagr in the classic. I think 24/7 has a lot to do with it too. Clearly the more likeable team out of the two. Laviolette's run in with Ott just cemented his spot as a typcial arrogant Phila A**hole as well. I'm sure my feelings will change if you guys continue on this tear and if we should meet in the playoffs my good feelings will immediately become hateful but as of right now I'm enjoying watching you guys spank and frustrate Philly every chance you get. Keep up the good work. Cheers!
Laviolettes run in with ott actually made me like him more lol.

01-05-2012, 05:01 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FultonReed View Post
a couple weeks ago, i was walking down Ocean Parkway in Brooklyn (between Ave. W and Kings Highway) wearing my jersey and some dude driving down towards Coney honked and stuck his fist out to his windshield. pretty sure we won the game that night, too haha it's definitely really awesome seeing more people show Ranger pride.
Ave. W and Kings Highway are far apart haha and how do you know he was headed towards Ocean Parkway. Either way, cool story.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 05:15 PM
FultonReed
ew, you did what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Ave. W and Kings Highway are far apart haha and how do you know he was headed towards Ocean Parkway. Either way, cool story.
i was on Ocean Parkway walking towards Kings Highway from Avenue W lol he was going the opposite way. but yeah it was real good stuff. wish i coulda spoken to the guy haha

FultonReed is online now   Reply With Quote