HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Ruff ready to ramp up Miller

Old
01-05-2012, 03:06 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
I went to look up their stats in a depressed mood, and something jumped out at me. I'm an Enroth apologist, to be sure, but in his past 5 starts he has a .929% and a 1-3-1 record . **** this team.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:17 PM
BowieSabresFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyndig86 View Post
You do realize he made 44 saves on 46 shots right? If that was Miller most people would probably say "See that's why hes our starter."
Only if they also ignored the 5 posts that Ottawa hit, and Enroth's performance in the shootout. He played decently well, but let's not overdo it.

As for Ruff's comment, I don't have a problem with Miller getting a good majority of the starts, but Enroth needs to play as well, at least in the back-to-backs.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
"Yep, I still don't know how to manage goalies!" - Lindy Ruff

I don't think anything he said there indicates that he doesn't know what's going on with his goalie situation. I think he's been pretty good about splitting up the back to backs this year. Miller has failed because of his play. It's all on him. When he's got his confidence back the coach will know, and he will be the #1 again. Right now the coaches job is to win games until his #1 finds his confidence. What exactly could anybody do differently?

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:24 PM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan View Post
Only if they also ignored the 5 posts that Ottawa hit, and Enroth's performance in the shootout. He played decently well, but let's not overdo it.

As for Ruff's comment, I don't have a problem with Miller getting a good majority of the starts, but Enroth needs to play as well, at least in the back-to-backs.
Of course they ignore those things.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:26 PM
puckish66

I love how Enroth is garbage to some of you. He's having a better season than Miller is. He's having a better season this year than Miller did last season. And if anyone has been getting his game together more of late -- and it's not saying much -- it's been Enroth.

So why doesn't Ruff ride Enroth and see what happens. Might as well. But there are fiefdoms to protect -- just like putting Roy and Stafford in the shootout when younger players deserved a shot more.

Lindy, is it about winning or protecting your precious core?

Old
01-05-2012, 03:28 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I want Ruff to use the backup goaltender who has played well when he hasn't had to string together several starts in a row, especially when we're playing back-to-backs. I want Ruff to look at things like how players have performed against certain teams and in certain buildings.

At RBC Center:

Miller: 3-1-4, 3.15 GAA, .900
Enroth: 2-0-0, 0.49 GAA, .986
Neither is a significant sample size, but that's what you have to work with. Who knows why Carolina has struggled in two games against Enroth. Maybe Jhonas sees the puck well in that building. Maybe Carolina struggles with his unconventional style. Whatever it is, it's worked in two starts, so stick with it. Heading into a back-to-back, why not ride Enroth's white hot play in that building and then come back with a rested Miller against Winnipeg? Makes sense to me.
It's because I've been there both times. Will be there tomorrow, too.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:32 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

3 home games this month? No problem lets just start Miller the entire month.

Great timing Lindy.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:36 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ellis Problems View Post
I went to look up their stats in a depressed mood, and something jumped out at me. I'm an Enroth apologist, to be sure, but in his past 5 starts he has a .929% and a 1-3-1 record . **** this team.
It's all about scoring more than the other team. And they have wasted some decent netminding some nights by simply not finishing (and that goes for both 'minders). Many of the forwards are the biggest issue -- they leave early, they typically knock no one down at either end of the rink, and are notoriously weak on the puck be it light sticks or limp passing. And then they back that sort of lackluster "effort" by not finishing night after night after night.

01-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Kyndig86

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan View Post

True but they weren't goals and he wasn't out of position on any of them. Part of hitting the post is not having much to shoot at so they try to snipe the corners.

Kyndig86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 04:01 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
"You worry about numbers in short periods of time," Ruff s aid when asked about Miller's stats. "Don't worry about the global numbers. Worry about your next game, that those numbers are good. Put a good three-game stretch together. Short-team goals, smaller goals. What's behind him right now is behind him and he's got to put together the best 40 games he's ever put together."

"Right now it's just win and the stat you really start to care about is the wins," Miller said. "I know people pay close attention to it and I even make preseason goals of where I want to be and I'm not anywhere near where I'd want to be. You look at it from where you're at in this point in time. You do the best you can from this point forward. I can still have good stats from here on out, help the team get to the playoffs."
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...yan-going.html

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
...he's got to put together the best 40 games he's ever put together.
Good luck with that, Ryan.

Myllz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 04:07 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Good luck with that, Ryan.
No kidding. This is his worst year ever so far, no pressure though.

Old
01-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Dreakon

So people are upset that our coach intends to play our franchise goaltender more than our rookie backup?

I get that Miller hasn't been great this season but he's more likely to get hot playing as a starter than Enroth IMO. And both of them haven't played well enough to earn it anyways.

Last edited by Dreakon: 01-05-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 04:59 PM
jlr
\m/o.o\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I want Ruff to use the backup goaltender who has played well when he hasn't had to string together several starts in a row, especially when we're playing back-to-backs. I want Ruff to look at things like how players have performed against certain teams and in certain buildings.

At RBC Center:

Miller: 3-1-4, 3.15 GAA, .900
Enroth: 2-0-0, 0.49 GAA, .986

Neither is a significant sample size, but that's what you have to work with. Who knows why Carolina has struggled in two games against Enroth. Maybe Jhonas sees the puck well in that building. Maybe Carolina struggles with his unconventional style. Whatever it is, it's worked in two starts, so stick with it. Heading into a back-to-back, why not ride Enroth's white hot play in that building and then come back with a rested Miller against Winnipeg? Makes sense to me.

Lindy Ruff response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyRuff
TL;DR. Here's my 3-step plan.

Step 1: Roll the lines.1

Step 2: Starting goalie starts the game.2 Backup goalie plays when the starter is unavailable.

Step 3: Cross arms3 , make a face that says "mildly discontented".4

1. Be sure to draw names from a hat and create random lines every other period.
2. Them's the rules.
3. If interviewed, be sure to have a list of meaningless cliches ready, including references to bounces as well as health and/or injuries.
4. If things get really heated, I may talk some **** to my star winger, and make him feel like a puppy getting his nose rubbed in the mess he just made on the floor.

jlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 05:01 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Ellis Problems View Post
No kidding. This is his worst year ever so far, no pressure though.
There really isn't. They always have their favorite excuse to fall back on. Injuries.

Old
01-05-2012, 05:05 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

and that jlr (ahem) Lindy Ruff is ****ing hilarious and a sad reality.

Old
01-05-2012, 05:14 PM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlr View Post
Lindy Ruff response

Old
01-05-2012, 05:36 PM
puckish66

I'm kind of doing a double-take.

Hasn't Miller started 12 of 14 games since coming back from injury?

How much more of a ramping-up does he need?

Old
01-05-2012, 06:21 PM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post

Enough to have a repeat of last year. We get into the playoffs, Lindy looks smart for "pushing the right buttons down the stretch" and "getting this team looking dangerous for a playoff run." In reality, the sabres really just got lucky to get in because this team only gives a **** when they're behind the 8 ball, but whatever. Then, Miller will burnout in the 1st round because Lindy overplayed him, Enroth will come in and suck because he'll have no confidence left because lindy hasn't managed backups well since the biron years. Then we'll do this again next year! With the same awesome group of players that can't win in the playoffs! YAYYY
Sorry to be negative, but really, if this happens AGAIN and prevents the organization from looking at this team objectively i'll be extremely pissed

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 06:41 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

I didn't believe Ruff's "new attitude" regarding playing the backup more to give Miller a rest, back when he said it. I'll believe it when I see it.

Well well well, a zebra doesn't change his stripes. Back to the NO faith in the backup, huh Lindy?

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post

QFT

Old
01-06-2012, 08:28 AM
HiddenInLight

I think he is mainly trying to give miller a confidence boost by publicly showing he has faith in him. Miller has always been a head game, when be gets that confidance up, he plays world class hockey, when he is feeling a bit down he is terrible. To lindy- i see what your doing there...

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:32 AM
Clock

It's a crappy article title probably designed to stir the pot.

Ruff basically said he's going to try to let Miller get his head on straight as long as he isn't tired. Shrug.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Miller is nothing more than an average goaltender this season which is part of the Sabres problem. I used to consider him a core player for the franchise but Iíd be hard pressed to make the argument anymore. Is it possible his magical 2009-2010 season which included a Vezina Trophy and Silver medal for Team USA was the high point of his career?

Outside of the first couple weeks of the season, Miller has looked uncomfortable on too many nights. Whether its giving up big rebounds, bad stickhandling decisions, being out of position, fighting the puck or giving up soft, un-Miller like goals, something is wrong with his game and the numbers bear it out.

Millerís 3.05 goals against average is 35th in the NHL. Iím using stats for goalies who have played at least 15 games this season. To put it in perspective, his career worst GAA is 2.73. Millerís save percentage of .900 is 34th and a little behind his career worst of .906.

At a time when the Sabres offense has been colder than the winter to this point, the number one goalie hasnít been good enough to bail them out.
Quote:
On this weekís Lindy Ruff show, the head coach told WGR the lack of scoring has put a lot of strain on both Miller and Jhonas Enroth but he acknowledged they arenít getting the big save at the crucial time. Ruff also said its time for Miller to ďpick up the ball and run with it.Ē Unfortunately the netminderís play the last 2 months gives no indication that is about to occur.
http://wgr550.com/SIMON--Inside-The-Numbers/11915474

Old
01-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Ryan Miller is four victories away from breaking Dominik Hasek's franchise record of 234 wins by a Buffalo Sabres goaltender. That gives Miller a great number to shoot for in a year his numbers are basically shot.
Quote:
Those 2010 Olympics seem far, far away as Miller deals with his worst season in the NHL. His goals-against average is 3.05 and his save percentage is .900, utterly pedestrian figures that don't even crack the top 30 in the NHL.
Quote:
But coach Lindy Ruff said, starting tonight in Carolina, the Sabres are going to ride their $6 million goaltender as they try to climb out of 11th place in the Eastern Conference. Don't look, for instance, for Miller and Jhonas Enroth to split this week's games against the Hurricanes and Winnipeg Jets.

"I really want to get Ryan going," Ruff said. "If he's feeling comfortable, playing well and not tired, I'm going to try to lean on him a little bit more and see if that helps him."
Quote:
Miller, in fact, has given up three or more goals an astonishing 14 times in his last 17 starts. Some games he's played poorly and others are like Tuesday's 4-3 win over Edmonton, where he gave up a weak first goal but couldn't do anything on two other shots on a night when he was relatively sharp.
Quote:
Hasek and Miller are the only two Sabres with 200 wins in Buffalo. Only six have at least 100.

"I knew going into the season kind of where the record was and it's something that's nice to be part of," Miller said. "Now, I know Dom did it all when there was no shootout and I'm sure he would have won more than a few shootouts in his day.
Quote:
Tops in the crease
The all-time goaltending victory leaders for the Buffalo Sabres

Dominik Hasek 234

Ryan Miller 231

Don Edwards 156

Martin Biron 134

Tom Barrasso 124

Bob Sauve 119
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...icle698205.ece