HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Tyutin for Strome and koskinen

Old
01-03-2012, 04:41 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
That's right. We can trade one of our many centers! Let me pick the dman....
I would trade Carter...

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 08:07 AM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug61 View Post
yep, lets go ahead and trade our best defender for prospects, our team will be so great next season, we can just get a guy in free agency to play D, because we've had so much success at that.
"Our best defender." Is that like the world's tallest midget?

Not only that, but what is it that makes him a good defensemanr? Is it his inability to be a true shutdown defenseman? Or is it his inability to play the point on power play?

Tyutin is the latest vanilla, second pairing defenseman to get overpaid by Scott Howson. If Snow were actually offering this and Howson wasn't considering it, even more reason for him to be fired.

As for Howson's trade ability, I don't care about the individual results. The ultimate result is a poorly constructed team and, as such, I prefer for someone else (either Craig Patrick or Howson's successor) to make all trade decisions going forward.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 08:24 AM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
I would trade Carter...
No needed. Trade him.

Derby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 09:59 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post
No needed. Trade him.
For Voracek and Couturier?

Old
01-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Doug19

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
"Our best defender." Is that like the world's tallest midget?

Not only that, but what is it that makes him a good defensemanr? Is it his inability to be a true shutdown defenseman? Or is it his inability to play the point on power play?

Tyutin is the latest vanilla, second pairing defenseman to get overpaid by Scott Howson. If Snow were actually offering this and Howson wasn't considering it, even more reason for him to be fired.

As for Howson's trade ability, I don't care about the individual results. The ultimate result is a poorly constructed team and, as such, I prefer for someone else (either Craig Patrick or Howson's successor) to make all trade decisions going forward.
I love how having a good #3 guy who could be a good #2 with the right partner is such a horrible thing in your eyes. Every time you trash him, say he's below average and then say he's a 2nd paring defender, which by the way, he would be at worst a #3 on pretty much every team in the league. I will agree I don't particularly want Howson being the guy to make the trades, but I'm not worried if he's the guy that is tasked with dumping some guys this deadline, because I'm sure he will do just fine. If we trade Tyutin for a center prospect, who's going to step up and play his spot next season?

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:17 AM
Ar-too

Send a message via AIM to Ar-too
No sacred cows on a team that's going to have to improve its pace to match its lowest point total ever.

Ar-too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Socks
HeadFake

Given all the problems this team has Tyutin is among the least of our concerns.

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Quote:
For Voracek and Couturier?
You know me too well!

Derby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 03:53 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooten View Post

The CBJ don't suck because all of the players suck. They suck because the sum of the parts sucks. That's an important distinction. Trading away one of the better defensemen is asinine unless it represents an improvement somewhere.
You don't seem to get my point. I don't wany anyone around who has been a part of this losing franchise. Sometimes you just need to redo the entire thing. This is one of those times.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Xoggz22

If Tyutin were to get moved, a d-man that can play in the NHL right now, with upside to be better than Tyutin needs to be part of that equation. I don't think Tyutin of part of the problem - granted I can't argue he is part of the solution either.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 04:18 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
You don't seem to get my point. I don't wany anyone around who has been a part of this losing franchise. Sometimes you just need to redo the entire thing. This is one of those times.
That's nice. Ain't gonna happen, nor should it.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Trade 'em all and let God sort 'em out?

What's the shelf-life of "anyone who has been a part of this losing franchise"?

Old
01-03-2012, 05:59 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
I wouldn't mind trading Tyutin if we were actually getting sufficient value for the guy. I don't think we are here, and I don't think we can get it from NYI 'cause they have similar needs.

We need more folks who can play like Tyutin (or better), not less. Is our blueline really all that improved with Tyutin off of it? Are we really that much better a team if Tyutin vanishes and we're left with prospects?

And don't try to claim you're thinking "long term". Any sort of "trade everybody and start over" pronouncement is strictly reacting to the current situation and pretending to have vision.

Tyutin isn't a top-pairing superstar - but he makes this team better. And yes, it is entirely and easily capable for this team to be even worse and even more hopeless. Keep in mind, for example, that we've actually won games and scored goals.

We used to say that we have plenty of motivation but zero talent and so our players were worthless 'cause what good is motivation without talent? Now, abruptly, it's become precisely the other way around. When are y'all going to make up your minds? Or are we ever finally going to admit that this seesawing is counterproductive?

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 06:11 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I wouldn't mind trading Tyutin if we were actually getting sufficient value for the guy. I don't think we are here, and I don't think we can get it from NYI 'cause they have similar needs.

We need more folks who can play like Tyutin (or better), not less. Is our blueline really all that improved with Tyutin off of it? Are we really that much better a team if Tyutin vanishes and we're left with prospects?

And don't try to claim you're thinking "long term". Any sort of "trade everybody and start over" pronouncement is strictly reacting to the current situation and pretending to have vision.

Tyutin isn't a top-pairing superstar - but he makes this team better. And yes, it is entirely and easily capable for this team to be even worse and even more hopeless. Keep in mind, for example, that we've actually won games and scored goals.

We used to say that we have plenty of motivation but zero talent and so our players were worthless 'cause what good is motivation without talent? Now, abruptly, it's become precisely the other way around. When are y'all going to make up your minds? Or are we ever finally going to admit that this seesawing is counterproductive?
I count that we would get a similar or better d-man for another guys in the trade of course.

Old
01-03-2012, 07:47 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Quote:
I count that we would get a similar or better d-man for another guys in the trade of course.
I doubt it. Certainly not from NYI; like us, they need more, not less.

Old
01-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Palinka

I like Tyutin.

I'd also do this deal in a heartbeat.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 04:26 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
I doubt it. Certainly not from NYI; like us, they need more, not less.
I dont say about Isles of course... and this trade had to be only after getting a d-man of course, but it is expecting.

Old
01-04-2012, 04:30 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post
I like Tyutin.

I'd also do this deal in a heartbeat.
How would you propose patching the blueline?

And I have to admit I do not think highly of Koskinen...

Old
01-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Palinka

Quote:
How would you propose patching the blueline?

And I have to admit I do not think highly of Koskinen...
How honest would you like me to be?

For Koskinen, he's extremely raw, and no one seems to know where his career will end up .

For patching the blueline, the only thing that I am proposing were I in the GM's shoes is to figure out who the core of the future contending team is. Some teams like the Islanders have four or more players who can be identified as such. Currently, I see one in Columbus, and that's Ryan Johansen. That's keeping in mind that guys like Carter and Nash have another ten good years in them.

Old
01-04-2012, 07:20 PM
Viqsi
"They're back."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post
How honest would you like me to be?

For Koskinen, he's extremely raw, and no one seems to know where his career will end up .

For patching the blueline, the only thing that I am proposing were I in the GM's shoes is to figure out who the core of the future contending team is. Some teams like the Islanders have four or more players who can be identified as such. Currently, I see one in Columbus, and that's Ryan Johansen. That's keeping in mind that guys like Carter and Nash have another ten good years in them.
So, basically, throw out absolutely everything and restart 100% from scratch, with the sole exception of Johansen?

I didn't think you went for that kind of "kill 'em all" philosophy.

Old
01-04-2012, 07:49 PM
kk
diehard NYI/WPG fan

The Isles would never trade Strome. Not at this stage in things. Tyutin wouldn't get it done anyway. Not even close.

kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 07:55 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk View Post
The Isles would never trade Strome. Not at this stage in things. Tyutin wouldn't get it done anyway. Not even close.
well, it was an islander fan who made the proposal...

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 05:14 PM
Palinka

Quote:
So, basically, throw out absolutely everything and restart 100% from scratch, with the sole exception of Johansen?

I didn't think you went for that kind of "kill 'em all" philosophy.
Not quite. I think the value of most of the roster players is disproportionate to what they're bringing to the table. For some players, it's because there's a coaching situation that's less than ideal, which is negatively impacting what they're doing.

For others, it's because it looks more and more like they're not going to regain what they previously had. I think the perception around the league is that everyone on the roster is suffering and would benefit from a change in scenery, meaning that some players who had been previously shopped may fetch quite a bit more than we'd expect.