HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Laviolette's System

Old
01-05-2012, 05:17 PM
JoeFlyer

vCash: 500
Laviolette's System

Does anyone think our system needs to be toned down a bit at the moment?

I mean it seems too me that we play a really high tempo, hard hitting, high forecheck kind of game but at the moment perhaps that really only suits the top line. Ususally you would have different lines with different styles but it kind of feels like all our lines are trying to play the same way which I see as a little problematic when the lesser players are losing battles in the offensive zone.

When we had Pronger the defense was able to cope a bit better because of his obvious quality but now the cracks are showing a bit more. Our whole teams is pretty good in terms of quiality but it just looks as though we run out of steam too much or give up cheap goals because we're so offense minded...

Does anyone feel confident with us having a lead in a game at the moment?

JoeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Slowbro

once you compromise the system, there is no going back.

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 05:28 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFlyer View Post

I mean it seems too me that we play a really high tempo, hard hitting, high forecheck kind of game but at the moment perhaps that really only suits the top line. Ususally you would have different lines with different styles but it kind of feels like all our lines are trying to play the same way which I see as a little problematic when the lesser players are losing battles in the offensive zone.

When we had Pronger the defense was able to cope a bit better because of his obvious quality but now the cracks are showing a bit more. Our whole teams is pretty good in terms of quiality but it just looks as though we run out of steam too much or give up cheap goals because we're so offense minded...

I don't feel confident with Bryzgalov in net. The system is fine, proven, and I trust Laviolette.

Bryzgalov is ATROCIOUS. I can't describe how bad he's been.

On top of that we're paying him so that we can run whatever system we want, and it's his job to have us covered. That's why we paid for an elite goalie.

Blaming this on the system now is kind of pointless.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 05:36 PM
SgtJoseph

I look at Lavys system like this.......When our club is playing his system well, we get a ton of great scoring chances during a game,,,,,BUT ! When we fail to bury those chances all eyes and blame immediately go to our defensive and goal tending.Our club plays a very high tempo transition game, with our Defense playing a big role on the rushes and "pinching" in on offense often....
The ugly side of this style rears its head when our hi powers offense fails to finish on great chances, and then we give up a quickie or 2 and get behind the 8 ball.I like the up tempo hi energy game, but we have to "finish" more often on the great chances it affords our club,because for the time being our Goal tending is as inconsistent stopping pucks as our offense is at missing on great scoring chances.Hopefully things will work out as we go along in the 2nd half.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Prongo
Beer

Im pretty sure Lavy won a cup with his "system" and took us to a finals with it also. There is no need to change the system, players don't buy into it, they are the ones who go usually.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 06:03 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I don't feel confident with Bryzgalov in net. The system is fine, proven, and I trust Laviolette.

Bryzgalov is ATROCIOUS. I can't describe how bad he's been.

On top of that we're paying him so that we can run whatever system we want, and it's his job to have us covered. That's why we paid for an elite goalie.

Blaming this on the system now is kind of pointless.

agreed.. if you spend what we did on a goalie then teh system shouldnt matter..

otherwise we might aswell have saved 50M$ and brought Leighton back up.

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 06:08 PM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Im pretty sure Lavy won a cup with his "system" and took us to a finals with it also. There is no need to change the system, players don't buy into it, they are the ones who go usually.
I was pretty sure Carolina played a more defensive game under Lavy because that's the players he had at his disposal. I'm not sure if it is about buying in or if it's just not suited to all the players as a whole. For example JvR wasn't good playing Hartnells role on the top line, JvR might be having a bad season but I think that was more to do with how that line compliments each other. Hartnell does, JvR didn't.

As for the goalie, I totally see that, I'm not saying the system sucks all of a sudden but that perhaps more flexibility would give the team more consistancy. Bryz is capable of playing better but perhaps tweaking the system to operate more defensively (not really defensively!) might help gind a few more hard fought victories out...

Old
01-05-2012, 06:11 PM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
agreed.. if you spend what we did on a goalie then teh system shouldnt matter..

otherwise we might aswell have saved 50M$ and brought Leighton back up.
Could the argument not be made that if your gonna spend that much on a keeper play system he is comfortable with? This team is way better than Phoenix was, so if we played their system would we not be far better? (Not saying we should, just saying if you shift the way your team pay structure is weighted then perhaps play to the strengths you have?)

Old
01-05-2012, 06:13 PM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
I look at Lavys system like this.......When our club is playing his system well, we get a ton of great scoring chances during a game,,,,,BUT ! When we fail to bury those chances all eyes and blame immediately go to our defensive and goal tending.Our club plays a very high tempo transition game, with our Defense playing a big role on the rushes and "pinching" in on offense often....
The ugly side of this style rears its head when our hi powers offense fails to finish on great chances, and then we give up a quickie or 2 and get behind the 8 ball.I like the up tempo hi energy game, but we have to "finish" more often on the great chances it affords our club,because for the time being our Goal tending is as inconsistent stopping pucks as our offense is at missing on great scoring chances.Hopefully things will work out as we go along in the 2nd half.
Makes sense, just not sure we have enough goal scorers to work that, seems like you need someone to always be on a hot streak...

Old
01-05-2012, 06:21 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
hi powers offense
That's the problem, we don't have a high powered offense here. Matt Read plays on our second power play unit for heaven's sake.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 06:44 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Part of the system is obviously predicated on Bryzgalov providing All-Star level goaltending.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Could the argument not be made that if your gonna spend that much on a keeper play system he is comfortable with? This team is way better than Phoenix was, so if we played their system would we not be far better? (Not saying we should, just saying if you shift the way your team pay structure is weighted then perhaps play to the strengths you have?)
so we should redo the entire team and system and coach around Bryz ???

no sale...

starting to look like we didnt scout Bryz out well enuf before commiting that huge chunk of change on him for the next 10 years.

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 07:00 PM
Left Circle OneTimer

Quote:
So we turn into the minnesota wild to suite bryz? Id rather give a guy with superstar potential like Giroux the freedom than to cripple the forwards into playing a system that only benefits Bryz. Complete waste of offensive talent. There are so many teams with offensive systems that have elite goaltenders. It works, Bryz just needs to stop the puck.

Left Circle OneTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 07:04 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:

See my posts in the anti bryz thread. There's a reason 9 goalies have failed in our system. Not bc they all suck but bc we play this cat and mouse game..."jamming" aka chase, chase, chase. Either way, yes...we need to refine our system.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 07:13 PM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
so we should redo the entire team and system and coach around Bryz ???

no sale...

starting to look like we didnt scout Bryz out well enuf before commiting that huge chunk of change on him for the next 10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Circle OneTimer View Post
So we turn into the minnesota wild to suite bryz? Id rather give a guy with superstar potential like Giroux the freedom than to cripple the forwards into playing a system that only benefits Bryz. Complete waste of offensive talent. There are so many teams with offensive systems that have elite goaltenders. It works, Bryz just needs to stop the puck.
I was pretty clear I don't think that we should become a defense orientated team but you play to what you have. You try and get the best out of a team, not a system that benifits one player at the detriment of the rest... We also pay loads for our D core (2nd most in the league I think I read somewhere, might be wrong), yet we pay that so we can just go nuts on offense with 'lesser' players and hope an expensive D means it copes...

I really only think it needs a little tweaking but we seem to regularly get two forwards behind the opponents goal line on one guy...

Old
01-05-2012, 08:07 PM
Left Circle OneTimer

Either way he seems fine tonight considering hes playing against the team with the highest goal per game average in the game.

Old
01-05-2012, 08:12 PM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
Either way he seems fine tonight considering hes playing against the team with the highest goal per game average in the game.
True, think whoever said when we actually put chances away we're ok when we start missing it costs us was right in essence. Until that 4min 3 goal burst there were a few hairy moments... But yeah, today good...

Old
01-05-2012, 08:24 PM
JoeFlyer

...I take it back...

Old
01-05-2012, 08:36 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
You just had to say this, didn't you

Luckily it worked out for us... if it didn't...

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 08:47 PM
TheLegendkiller

While Bryz should take most of the blame I think the defensive side of Lavy's system works better when the forwards as a whole are better defensively. Our shortage of defensive forwards and youth on the offense might be the reason breakdowns happen so often.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 08:56 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
While Bryz should take most of the blame I think the defensive side of Lavy's system works better when the forwards as a whole are better defensively. Our shortage of defensive forwards and youth on the offense might be the reason breakdowns happen so often.
Which means its time to throw Couturier in the top 9, Talbot on the fourth center, and Briere on the G-D wing.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:01 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
The flyers have been at and near the top of the league most of the year with horrible goaltending.

So, yea, the system works.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Totally Radivojevic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
That's the problem, we don't have a high powered offense here. Matt Read plays on our second power play unit for heaven's sake.
3rd in the league in goals.

Totally Radivojevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Left Circle OneTimer

Has Briere ever really played on the left wing? I wouldnt mind him being put on the left wing on a line with schenn and read. Or when ever JVR decides to be consistent and not let injury affect him, Schenn could center him and Briere.

Old
01-05-2012, 11:48 PM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

Quote:
Has Briere ever really played on the left wing? I wouldnt mind him being put on the left wing on a line with schenn and read. Or when ever JVR decides to be consistent and not let injury affect him, Schenn could center him and Briere.
when briere's on his game, his goals come two ways: skating down the right wing or backdoor on the powerplay. putting him on the left side takes away his most effective shot.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote