HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ranger Fan Assaulted in Philly (UPDATE: ARREST MADE)

Old
01-05-2012, 05:03 PM
highandwide
It's gold Jerry.

vCash: 500
the problem I have with this is that... Yes, this happens everywhere, but by saying that, it takes away from the fact that Philly is a repeat offender in every sport.

Before the game was even over I had full beers thrown at me and saw Flyers fans throwing those plastic beer bottles over the edge. Completely reckless, not even targeting anyone.

highandwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 05:03 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
it depends on where. ive gone to countless thrasher games with Rangers gear on, ive met some of my closest friends there. truthfully, ppl down south are a LOT friendlier than up north.
Amen. I've been going to Lightning and Panthers games in Ranger gear for the past 15 years and have never had any problems.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
The guy who bragged on facebook and his buddies are probably in a precinct right now being interrogated
I keep waiting on news of them being charged. If he's legit the perp, then I'll get an unreal amount of satisfaction from the knowledge that he practically hung himself on the internet.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 05:06 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHookUp View Post
Rangers fan here, living in PA for 28 years. Its true that every fan base has these "bad fans." But when it comes to Philly, they just have more of them. I went to the Winter Classic and it was probably my best experience with Flyers fans to date. One guy even hugged me before the game because it was such a special event and he was excited.

But going to any game in Philly while wearing another teams jersey is a definite risk on your own well being. The stadium is just 40 minutes from my house, and I travel the 2.5+ hours to NY to see my games. Not only is it better at the garden, I dont feel my life is at risk.

The last time I went to a Rangers vs Flyers game in Philly, my wife and I were jogging to our car to try and beat the traffic. A Flyers fan pretty much chased us from the building to our car and screaming obscenities at us.

I find the best approach is just to ignore these people. Dont look at them, not respond to anything they say, then just hope they dont attack you for no reason. The entire time this guy was chasing us, I didnt say a single word.

My friend went to an Eagles game. After the game a guy was leaving with a Redskins jersey on. He was walking with his 8 year old son, not saying a word to anyone. Then a bunch of Eagles fan grabbed a metal trash can and beat the guy unconscious in front of his kid. So even if you follow my advice, you still may not be safe. Definitely think twice before coming to Philly.
I'm pretty much with MadHook on this one. I lived in Philly for 7 years, always wore my Ranger stuff (as did my kids) and aside from one very minor incident (which the Spectrum staff quickly took care of) I never had any problems. I also found the fans at the Winter Classic to be very friendly. Had my cheesesteaks at Jim's and shared a table with Flyers fans. We later saw the same guys at the game. Sat with and around Flyer fans who were very good natured.

That said, there is a violent element. Sometimes it is just best to keep your mouth shut. When the Eagles played at the Vet, I saw some stuff in the upper deck that's better left to the imagination.

Bottom line, Philly is tougher than most towns, it has a nasty element but on the whole, the Classic was a great friendly event.

And I think the idea of getting this guy a baby present is terrific. I'm going to send something along and hope others do too.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 05:16 PM
WeWillWinTonight

Seriously it sucks and all but I mean your in another teams area talking crap or whatever this is definitely a possibility. Add in the fact that people may be drinking.

I mean all I'm saying is these things happen all the time and in most cases activities that involve alcohol. It's really not breaking news or anything.

If your going to go into another area just watch the game keep ur mouth closed.

Just my two cents once again these guys may have been dead sober or whatever and certainly dont deserve it but I think you have to also not expect this but be more cautious

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 05:20 PM
BrianLeetch2

Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
I didnt read the whole thread but that is definitely the right registry.....a close friend is friends of the family and i just talked with her to confirm that it is their registry....like i said i didnt read to see if someone else confirmed it yet

BrianLeetch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 05:28 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMan82 View Post
I was actually gonna swing by there for a Cheese Steak with my brother... Turns out I actually played on a roller hockey team with the victim (Neal) at Inman... It's a shame, as he's a pretty relaxed guy (among all his other achievements and the fact that he's a husband/father)... He's at Rangers games all the time with his buddy Mike.
Huh looks like he graduated from our high school as well (year ahead of me), I probably played with/against him at Inman as well.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 05:33 PM
BrianLeetch2

Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmyir111 View Post
Huh looks like he graduated from our high school as well (year ahead of me), I probably played with/against him at Inman as well.
I would never expect to see Inman Sports Club in this thread lol

BrianLeetch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 05:38 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLeetch2 View Post
That place was kind of a ****hole lol, but it was good fun until they built that nice place in rahway or linden whatever town that was, good times.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 05:43 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

This is NOT how human beings should be treating eachother.

The guys who did it are a disgrace to all life forms.

A veteran of two tours and a purple heart deserves better then that.

It has nothing to do with Philadelphia or Flyers fans. Its just a bunch stupid guys and they shouldn't represent an entire city.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 05:50 PM
SixGoalieSystem
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 983
What a great initiative. Got them a little something along with my wishes for his speedy recovery.

Hope the other guy's doing okay too.

Last edited by SixGoalieSystem: 01-05-2012 at 06:01 PM.
SixGoalieSystem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 05:58 PM
Ilkka Pikachu

This thread makes me hate the Flyers just that much more.

Classy of you guys to try and wipe the registry, there are good men wearing blue shirts after all.

Ilkka Pikachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 06:07 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Having gone to almost every Rangers-Devils game at the Prudential Center since it opened, I can tell you, unfortunately that stuff like the 5 Rangers fans jumping a Devils fan is not surprising. At every game, there are a ton of Rangers "fans" that are 20-27 years old, that walk in like they own the place, are usually already drunk, and are looking to start fights. Combine that with an already young Devils fanbase, that is already pissed off that there's so many there, and you have about 5-8 fights in the stands almost EVERY game.

I have maintained the stance to all of my Devils fans friends, that the Rangers fans that come to the Rock for these games are (mostly) not the same ones that come to MSG. And I have been to Rangers-Devils games at the Garden, and it IS dramatically different. I don't think I have ever even seen a fight at the Garden, but that doesn't mean they don't happen.

I find myself defending our fanbase a lot over the past few years. Cause we are painted by certain fanbases as being almost as bad as Philly. In fact, no further proof of that is needed then this one on the Islanders board.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...1#post41956459

I take great offense to the attitude by the fans in this thread, cause that is not who I am, and not who any of my Rangers fans friends are. I know we have jerk off fans, but so does every fan base.

But Philly just seems to take it to a whole other level.

This incident, the stories I've read on here, the nightmare stories I've heard else where, such as 1 I heard a long time ago about a few Devils fans getting stabbed by Flyers fans in Philly during the ECF's back in 2000. To this day, I do not know if the story is true, and part of me never wants to know, because of how disgusting the thought of it is. Then of course, there are my own sort of experiences, such as the 3 Mets-Phillies games I attended a few years ago with my then girlfriend-now wife. A minimum of 10 fights at everyone of those games, including one in the last one where security was pretty much overwhelmed by the Philly fans there. Thankfully, I was just a bystander to all of this, but it was scary to think what might have happened had I been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Every fanbase has sc*mbags, but does Philly have the worst and most? I'd like to think not. I know a few Philly fans from baseball, hockey and football, and they are great people. My wife and I met a couple from Philly on our honeymoon last year, and the husband is a diehard Phillies fan, and is one of the nicest guys I have ever met, and we have become great friends with them. But after so many incidents..I unfortunately feel a lot of times that he and some of the people I know are the exception, not the rule. And I don't wanna feel that way.

Sorry for the long post, didn't expect it to be this long, but it kinda took on a life of its own. Feed back is more then welcome.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 06:20 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
I didnt read the whole thread but that is definitely the right registry.....a close friend is friends of the family and i just talked with her to confirm that it is their registry....like i said i didnt read to see if someone else confirmed it yet
Thank you for the confirmation.

Hey Dolan, Slats!
Break down and send this family a paid vacation to NYC for a weekend w/top seats to a couple of Rangers games thrown in.

Then if any of us want to add a little something something, we may be able to set up giving this guy an envelope.

Who agrees?

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

I've been to sporting events all over the country and there's no fans anywhere near as bad as philly fans. Growing up I had friends in Cherry Hill and I went to flyer games, phillie games, etc. and you take the bad apples everywhere else and that's your average philly fan. Peeing on the back wall of the upper deck in the Spectrum was one of the tamer things they did. It's well known that at Eagle games they had an actual criminal court with a judge and a jail inside Veteran's Stadium.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 08:23 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Somewhere on broadstreethockey.com, they're starting up a collection for him. Can't find the link.

Edit: Found it: http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...were-assaulted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
To be crystal clear that is not what I said. I said that though all were expressing regret, embarrassment, anger, etc. there was satisfaction that people were scared of the Flyer fan base.
It's embarassing as a whole because it's a black eye on the fanbase and fuels the fire for other fanbases to go "typical Philly" like that's the answer to this whole incident. What is there we "regret?" I didn't hit the guy, nor did I even wish harm upon him. This is the act of a criminal, nothing more. But to think that this is the mindset of the fanbase (scaring other fanbases) shows you're truly misinformed.

Last edited by JLHockeyKnight: 01-05-2012 at 08:39 PM.
JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 08:31 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Me neither. Although in retrospect I remember playing with Jayman at one point when I still played roller.

Old
01-05-2012, 08:37 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
I'm pretty much with MadHook on this one. I lived in Philly for 7 years, always wore my Ranger stuff (as did my kids) and aside from one very minor incident (which the Spectrum staff quickly took care of) I never had any problems. I also found the fans at the Winter Classic to be very friendly. Had my cheesesteaks at Jim's and shared a table with Flyers fans. We later saw the same guys at the game. Sat with and around Flyer fans who were very good natured.

That said, there is a violent element. Sometimes it is just best to keep your mouth shut. When the Eagles played at the Vet, I saw some stuff in the upper deck that's better left to the imagination.

Bottom line, Philly is tougher than most towns, it has a nasty element but on the whole, the Classic was a great friendly event.

And I think the idea of getting this guy a baby present is terrific. I'm going to send something along and hope others do too.
This is what boggles my mind. I sat in 150 and in 151 there were a TON of Rangers fans. After the game Flyers fans and Rangers fans were passing each other, shaking hands and saying "good game" or "we'll get you next time." No obscenities, nothing. I think if anything the fans in my section were more pissed at the crappy performance and blowing the lead by the Flyers than anything else. Overall the atmosphere was good, I didn't see anything worse than boos toward Rangers fans in the parking lot tailgating and in the stadium. Then to have this come out of it, it's night and day from my experience at the Winter Classic.

Old
01-05-2012, 08:38 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Anyway, I'm spent with this thread. Later all.

Old
01-05-2012, 08:45 PM
jskramer83

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Somewhere on broadstreethockey.com, they're starting up a collection for him. Can't find the link.

Edit: Found it: http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...were-assaulted

It's embarassing as a whole because it's a black eye on the fanbase and fuels the fire for other fanbases to go "typical Philly" like that's the answer to this whole incident. What is there we "regret?" I didn't hit the guy, nor did I even wish harm upon him. This is the act of a criminal, nothing more. But to think that this is the mindset of the fanbase (scaring other fanbases) shows you're truly misinformed.
I emailed the creator of the blog, a little on what we are doing here... seems she is open to ideas

jskramer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 08:56 PM
NYR27

So not to defend Philly fans at all, but I truly think this is more of a few bad apples thing. I have some great friends that are from Philly and a few years back we all went to the regular season finale that the rangers lost in the shoot out to miss the playoffs. I was rocking my jersey for the whole game and took the expected verbal abuse but whatever...long story short in the shoot out some jack wagon Philly fan starts messing with me about the jersey and whatnot. We went back and forth for a bit talking trash but by the last shot of the game, we were one arm around the shoulder watching to see what happened. When we didn't score, the guy didn't celebrate or scream like my friends...he looked at me, said great game , great season nice to know you...then walked away and celebrated with his boys...all fan bases are into ther teams and most are passionate about them. Philly fans are no exception nor are we...the old saying is 10 percent of any group is going to be bad seeds...from my personal experience having been to many events in Philly...these putzes are the 10 percenters and don't deserve to even be considered as representative of their overall fan base....

NYR27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:02 PM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
There are some nice flyers fans who respect the game and opponents. And a good game of NHL hockey. However... I've met more obnoxious, disrespectful and trashy flyer fans... Sure Rangers have those fans too but not nearly in as much bulk. I don't care who it is that beat this guy into submission but he better be found and arrested.

TCRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:40 PM
Glennsoe
Horndog

No surprice, there's a-holes in every town..

Those guys are not fans, just thrillseekers looking to Get over..

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:56 PM
NewYorkJersey

I live in central Jersey and I was just listening to 97.5, its Philly sports radio and they were talking about this subject and the hosts were even saying how screwed up Philly is when a caller said there is audio on the internet of the incident and it contained proof that the Ranger fan actually instigated this whole thing NOT the Philly people.

I have not personally looked into it myself so I don't know how true it is or not but that's a bold statement he made.

NewYorkJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:56 PM
bigdom1012

hey guys i just wanna say it sux what happened to one of your fellow blue shirt fans
something like this goes beyond sports and fans it was just a bunch of idiots and that ranger fan did not deserve it

@tonythegr8 i saw your posts over on the isles forums and dont listen to some of those morons with there dumb comments thats not how all us isles fans feel

ive been to the garden plenty of times and have had lots a fun and laughs with you guys never had an issue
i was just there at the last rangs/isles game and lmao the entire time with u blue shirts

bottom line is its all on the person if someone goes there lookin for trouble it has nothing to do with who they root for its all on that individual not the fanbase

bigdom1012 is offline   Reply With Quote