HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Reebok 9K Pump skate fit

Old
01-05-2012, 06:30 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

vCash: 500
Reebok 9K Pump skate fit

Hey guys, I'm a roller player, and I've always used CCM, currently I wear a size 8 D , I realize that CCM is basically the same as Reebok and I believe that my CCM are just a tiny bit big on me, so I thought I should get my new Reeboks on 7.5, well just got em today and they are small as hell, I have to wrinkle my toes to not touch the toe cap.

So I went ahead and ordered the 8's, but I'm afraid they will still be small. What do you guys think? The guy told me if those didn't fit either I could return them for the 8.5, but damn I hope the 8s fit me well. Is there some sort of difference between CCM and the Reebok 9k Pump Skates? Or do you guys reckon the 8s will be fine if I currently use 8s in CCM?

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 08:36 PM
underflux

Based on what you've described I think the 8's would be fine. I'm a size 11 mens shoe and I wear an 8 in CCM skates, your toes are supposed to almost if not just touch the toe cap.

underflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 08:56 PM
r3cc0s

I don't think the toes are supposed to touch the toe caps... I'm a 10.5 11 and I wear 8.5 9ks where I would typically be a 9 with easton.

I like the adjustability of the pump, the wide forefoot is great for my foot, though like any skate took a while to break in, even with heat molding.

Though I have no built up calicious on my foot, the liner is wearing at the top and the heel. This is a 9k issue with the antimicrob liner, and they've since ditched it in the 8 and 11ks. I'm fighting with rbk now to get something done about my skates.

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:08 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by underflux View Post
Based on what you've described I think the 8's would be fine. I'm a size 11 mens shoe and I wear an 8 in CCM skates, your toes are supposed to almost if not just touch the toe cap.
sorry, maybe I didn't describe it as well, even when wrinkling my toes I still touch the toe cap of the 7.5s, if I had my toes in a normal position and I was just barely touching/scraping the toe cap than I don't think it would be that much of a problem, yet I didn't even try them w/ thicker socks...so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3cc0s View Post
I don't think the toes are supposed to touch the toe caps... I'm a 10.5 11 and I wear 8.5 9ks where I would typically be a 9 with easton.

I like the adjustability of the pump, the wide forefoot is great for my foot, though like any skate took a while to break in, even with heat molding.

Though I have no built up calicious on my foot, the liner is wearing at the top and the heel. This is a 9k issue with the antimicrob liner, and they've since ditched it in the 8 and 11ks. I'm fighting with rbk now to get something done about my skates.
well than perhaps the 8s will be fine, I'm a 9.5-10, so than the 8s might just do it *crossing fingers*

So I take it you have the older 9ks? I ordered the 2012 ones

Old
01-05-2012, 09:14 PM
Ozz

I wear a size 12 shoe, used to wear size 12 Bauers, and currently play in size 10 RBK Pumps.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:03 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I wear a 10.5 shoe and an 8.5 11K ice skate. I came from an 8.5 X60 Bauer. So far the 11K is the most comfortable skate I've ever owned in 18 years of skating. I've never had a felt tongue before, the 2 part lace system works pretty good but it's hard to get in and out of the skates and the pump makes a small difference around your ankles. Can't say enough good things about these skates.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 12:16 AM
Panteras
perennial loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I wear a 10.5 shoe and an 8.5 11K ice skate. I came from an 8.5 X60 Bauer. So far the 11K is the most comfortable skate I've ever owned in 18 years of skating. I've never had a felt tongue before, the 2 part lace system works pretty good but it's hard to get in and out of the skates and the pump makes a small difference around your ankles. Can't say enough good things about these skates.
thanks, so far from what I've read from you guys, 8 might be just fine, I can't wait to just start skating on these...for sure 10 is the biggest size shoe I wear which is a 43 EU, therefore I think the 8s might be it than if the 7.5 were small...I'm really hoping I can just start skating on Monday when it's supposed to arrive

Old
01-06-2012, 04:25 PM
KingNothing4

I usually wear 10.5/11 and have 8.5E and love them. Got them because none of the other skates could fit my fat foot. These have been great to me so far.

KingNothing4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNothing4 View Post
I usually wear 10.5/11 and have 8.5E and love them. Got them because none of the other skates could fit my fat foot. These have been great to me so far.
great thanks, well the charts says if you're a 10 than the skate size is 8.5, but several of you guys have already said that you were 10.5-11 and y'all wearing 8.5, so I'm thinking and hoping the 8s will be just fine

Old
01-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Loyal2TheOil

to the OP, when you put the 7.5 skates on did you lace them up and try to skate? believe it or not, its a completely different feel from the first time you put them on. initially your toe should touch the toe cap and as you lace up you will secure your foot into the heel pocket to an extend. you will still probably feel the toe cap with your toes, then when you stand up and bend your knees as you would when your skating you should notice that your toes just feather the front of the toe cap. as you break your skates in you will wear down the heel and pull back even more and notice you don't sit as close to the toe cap.

however, if your toes were curled up when first putting the skates on, then disregard everything I have said as they were obviously too small.

Loyal2TheOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:33 PM
markisonfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
Hey guys, I'm a roller player, and I've always used CCM, currently I wear a size 8 D , I realize that CCM is basically the same as Reebok and I believe that my CCM are just a tiny bit big on me, so I thought I should get my new Reeboks on 7.5, well just got em today and they are small as hell, I have to wrinkle my toes to not touch the toe cap.

So I went ahead and ordered the 8's, but I'm afraid they will still be small. What do you guys think? The guy told me if those didn't fit either I could return them for the 8.5, but damn I hope the 8s fit me well. Is there some sort of difference between CCM and the Reebok 9k Pump Skates? Or do you guys reckon the 8s will be fine if I currently use 8s in CCM?
First of all, you're going to want to bake those skates. CCM and Reebok are going to fit the same, so the 8 will probably be perfect. As you tie them, break them in, and skate on them, your foot will scoot back into the heel and it should be a pretty snug fit. Again, the higher end skates (9k and 11k) are meant to be baked.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 12:10 AM
AIREAYE

CCM and Reebok don't fit the same. The fit from Tacks -> Vector -> U+Pro ->U+ CL has all changed. Same with Reebok skates over the years. The current Reebok boot is wider than the CCM last.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 09:37 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

wooohoooo just got em, so sweet they fit awesome, snug and my toes have room but at the same time they are feathering the toe cap....

should I bake them? it says that I can by preheating the oven 200f and leaving em there for max 2 mins ...but the skates feel pretty good already and I haven't even skated w/ em yet...

Old
01-09-2012, 11:50 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

so I play outdoors, meaning the stock wheels are gonna go down the toilet pretty soon, so I'm thinking of getting these :

84A

and therefore I'm thinking of getting these waxed laces:

what do you guys think of this set up? black/white/green

Old
01-10-2012, 12:38 AM
AIREAYE

The greens don't match haha

Old
01-10-2012, 12:57 AM
Panteras
perennial loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
The greens don't match haha
talking about the wheels being lighter than the laces or just green w/ the skates?

Old
01-10-2012, 12:58 AM
AIREAYE

The laces and the wheels...actually now I think about it; both :p

Old
01-10-2012, 01:05 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
so I play outdoors, meaning the stock wheels are gonna go down the toilet pretty soon, so I'm thinking of getting these :

84A

and therefore I'm thinking of getting these waxed laces:

what do you guys think of this set up? black/white/green
I have the reebok 9k i use for ice hockey. Best skates ive ever had. Fit great out of the box.

I also have the green laces but unwaxed as i had the waxed ones but found them very difficult to tie up.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:22 AM
Faryn

I worked at a sports store for 7 years mostly in hockey, skates all fit different I'm not just talking about the sizing scale RBK and CCM both have the same; but heals insteps etc.. Now there could be a few things wrong:

1. there is a decent jump in half sizes maybe stretching the skates would help, stores can normally stretch a skate by about 1/4 of a size.
2. your heal may not fit in the skates heal this will cause your foot to be positioned forward in that skate, this can also be corrected with some tinkering (punching out etc.)
3. skate could be too narrow cutting of circulation, this will cause your foot swell a little making a skate feel smaller then it is, generally goes away once a skate is worn in or heat molded. If it is really bad changing the width will help this is only recommended if there is no other way because skates will stretch out once worn.
4. instep- if you have a high arch some skates will force it to collapse when you lace them up lengthening your foot.
4. toe caps- each brand has different toe caps each company fits different shaped toes. Since RBK and CCM are made by the same company they will have the same toe cap so this shouldn't be the problem.
5. year to year skates change and sometimes sizing changes customers should really look out for this and always get skates properly fitted when buying them.

I really recommend going to a sports store that knows how to properly fit skates because getting a pair of skates that doesn't fit your feet is one of the worst things to do. I wore Graf's for the longest time because they had the widest range of skate shapes and were the best heat molding skates on the market for almost a decade. I now wear Bauer APX's they are a lot stiffer then my Graf's and took longer to wear-in (still aren't nearly as comfortable) but are much better in all other aspects.

Skate companies have taken large steps in the last 5 years not just in the performance technology to make them lighter and more protective but also in the technology to make them more comfortable and versatile to all foot types. They have become a lot more malleable, in most cases consumers can buy whatever brand they want and change the skate accordingly this was not the case years ago were people were stuck to the brands that fit their foot the best.

If you want to buy a pair of skates online I would first go get properly fitted at a sports store this will make purchasing them that much easier.

Faryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 02:25 AM
Faryn

Quote:
wooohoooo just got em, so sweet they fit awesome, snug and my toes have room but at the same time they are feathering the toe cap....

should I bake them? it says that I can by preheating the oven 200f and leaving em there for max 2 mins ...but the skates feel pretty good already and I haven't even skated w/ em yet...
I would but would really not recommend doing it at home if you do. Go find a sports store that supplies that brand they will probably have a oven made to bake skates. They do sometimes charge for it if the skate was not purchased there.

Old
01-10-2012, 09:52 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Even if skates fit me great out of the box-and they should otherwise you shouldn't buy them-I still get them baked.

Old
01-10-2012, 11:00 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faryn View Post
If you want to buy a pair of skates online I would first go get properly fitted at a sports store this will make purchasing them that much easier.
I agree with the rest of your post except for this. Don't waste your fitter's time and effort only to buy online! Support their business.

Old
01-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Panteras
perennial loser

Quote:
The laces and the wheels...actually now I think about it; both :p
I guess it's a matter of opinion than, I think the green goes well with these skates because the pump is green...but yeah there is going to be a difference between the green wheels and the green laces, there are no 2 ways around that..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
I have the reebok 9k i use for ice hockey. Best skates ive ever had. Fit great out of the box.

I also have the green laces but unwaxed as i had the waxed ones but found them very difficult to tie up.
ohh, I always thought waxed was easier?? so I should get em unwaxed

Old
01-10-2012, 11:32 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
I guess it's a matter of opinion than, I think the green goes well with these skates because the pump is green...but yeah there is going to be a difference between the green wheels and the green laces, there are no 2 ways around that..

ohh, I always thought waxed was easier?? so I should get em unwaxed
Just make sure to pump them up right before you take a penalty shot.

Old
01-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Faryn

Quote:
I agree with the rest of your post except for this. Don't waste your fitter's time and effort only to buy online! Support their business.
I agree that they should support the establishment but as someone that worked at a high-end hockey store I would rather a guy come in get properly fitted then get their skates elsewhere then have to make a pair of not properly fitted skates fit a guys foot. It takes way less time to fit a guy properly then to make one fit either way it was a free service we provided but the later takes longer (lots of trial and error).