HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Torts' postgame comments may be detrimental (UPDATE: Fined $30,000)

Old
01-05-2012, 02:37 PM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
But think of what your saying. Your calling hockey the equivelent of professional wrestling. Let's not even look at it from the Rangers point of view, lets flip it. Are you telling me that the Flyers players would have no problem with the league giving them the game. That they would be ok going out there and battling for an outcome with no integrity?

The onus is on the NHL to NOT put it self in a situation where they'll be compared in such a way.

Riche16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:37 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
The onus is on the NHL to NOT put it self in a situation where they'll be compared in such a way.
Very true and a very good point. But Torts is a professional and needs to act accordingly. There is nothing professional about inferring in public that there is collusion between the NHL and its partners to generate revenue.

Trust me, no matter how much I dislike the guys persona in the media, I know he's a good stand up man. He cares about hockey more than any of us fans, of that I'm sure. He made a big mistake with those comments and he knows it. It could have been handled differently.

And back to your original point, the league officiating has been attrocious for a long time, and your absolutely right, the league needs to begin disciplining its officials that blatantly blow calls in the way we saw on monday.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 06:39 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

The sooner people here learn about business, the sooner you'll understand this fine. It's quite simple.

Say you work for Verizon (the devil) and go on TV and publicly chastise Verizon on say... "National Free Calling Day" or a day where all eyes were on the business.

That's basically what Torts did.

What do you think would happen to you?

This is a business.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 07:22 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

The only question that I had about Tort's remarks was dragging NBC into it. I have no doubt that the referees purposely favored the flyers at the end of the game. My only doubt is whether they were told explicitly or hinted at that the league wanted a 'good dramatic game'.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 07:38 PM
NY Ranger86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post
The sooner people here learn about business, the sooner you'll understand this fine. It's quite simple.

Say you work for Verizon (the devil) and go on TV and publicly chastise Verizon on say... "National Free Calling Day" or a day where all eyes were on the business.

This is a business.
You wouldn't get fined. You would get fired. Period. Here's a box, pack your desk up.

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 10:17 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:

This is a business.
Well said.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:20 PM
WeWillWinTonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
You wouldn't get fined. You would get fired. Period. Here's a box, pack your desk up.
That would make for one heck of a lawsuit

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 12:52 AM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers88 View Post
Everything Torts said was 100% accurate and everybody around the NHL knows it. I'm glad he said it and don't see it hurting the team.
Unfortunately there are some who dare not believe it.
And unfortunately the refs might be against the Rangers.

14ari13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 06:55 AM
DekeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
The only question that I had about Tort's remarks was dragging NBC into it. I have no doubt that the referees purposely favored the flyers at the end of the game. My only doubt is whether they were told explicitly or hinted at that the league wanted a 'good dramatic game'.
Why not NBC?
Who owns NBC----Comcast
Who owns both Comcast and the flygirls----Ed Snider
It's all one big happy family.

DekeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 01:57 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:

This is a business.
I don't care about the fine.

I care about the NHL (or Verizon) not addressing their ****** refereeing (or service.)

They can fine (or fire) whoever they want, the fact remains they're providing a ****** service.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 02:10 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Both. Whatever Torts "sarcastically suggested" was an absolute fact, IMO. Refs failed to deliver victory to Snider (AKA 'City of Philly") before the game end so they tried hard last 5 min. Refs do not need any explicitness. That are not dumb.

There is no sense to punish anyone for something that doesn't hurt. Truth does. Thus, people are reprimanded for truth. Hockey is no exception to that general rule.

integrity required of government employees such as military, politicians, etc. Since the league (let alone NBC) is a business it cannot and even should not have any integrity. There was nothing to question.

Last edited by 94now: 01-06-2012 at 02:23 PM.
94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 02:58 PM
McRanger

Quote:

This is a business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
Not really the best analogy. Tortorella is not employed by the NHL, he is employed by the Rangers and MSG Inc. The NHL is a governing body. The Rangers are in it for the Rangers and are willing to do what is best for the team and the company, regardless of what the NHL thinks. They proved that with the website lawsuit.

A better analogy would be a suit from a financial services co. like Citigroup blasting the SEC or the FedRes for being biased for/against another company. People outside the company might take offense, but if the guy that goes public is crushing money for the company he works for, you think they give a damn that he caused a s**t storm?

Unless the Rangers somehow end up getting screwed by this (even more biased game calling, for example) the Rangers and MSG Inc. could not care less what Torts does, as long as he wins and makes them money.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 04:57 PM
14ari13

I am a red wings fan. And I say we need more people like Tortorella (Burke) who dare speak their mind.

Tortorella ruuuullllleees.

Wish Babcock was a bit more like him.

14ari13 is online now   Reply With Quote