HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mid Season MVP

View Poll Results: Who is the Mid-Season MVP
Price 38 24.20%
Plekanec 1 0.64%
Cole 97 61.78%
Gorges 16 10.19%
Subban 2 1.27%
Other 3 1.91%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-05-2012, 09:58 AM
bryan1966

vCash: 500
Cole would be tops for me with Carey Price second and third Gorges.

No one is even close to these 3 players for the first half of the season.

bryan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I go with Price. Cole has been excellent as well, as has Gorges, but I think that without the consistent presence of Price we wouldn't even be able to hope to get back in the playoff race. Price hasn't been all that flashy nor flat out stolen many games, and maybe that's what people want to see more, but he has been the backbone of the team, and I think he has also started to use his puckhandling skills to much better advantage than he has in the past. I think he's the only clear All-Star calibre player on this team.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

First 15 or so games it would've been between Pleks and Pacioretty but they've both cooled off a lot, I'll go with Cole with Gorges and Price as second and third options as these 3 have been the main reason we aren't at the very bottom of the league right now.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Captain Saku

Price for me followed closely by cole

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Erik Cole and it's not even close
This.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:21 AM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

I just feel that Subban, with his clear number 1 role in his second season deserves a ton of credit. He's been a rock defensively and eating up those minutes.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Jigger77

Pretty much agree with the general sentiment. Cole, Price, Gorges.

But I have to say, I am becoming a huge fan of Travis Moen. The play he made on that Kaberle goal last night was an NHL powerforward play. I don't know what that guy did in the offseason but he is becoming quite the hockey player. It was funny for a while but I am starting to take the guy seriously. He went from cement hands to being a potential legit top 6 player who can score, pass, defend... It's really amazing.

Who would have thought that in January Travis Moen would have more goals than Mike Cammalleri? Not to mention be +2.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Cole played 27 minutes last night, over 10 minutes more than any other F.

Hands down, it's him.

Source:

Quote:
Originally Posted by strutsboa View Post
10:25 min (27:04-16:39) more ice-time than the second forward on the team in one game must almost be an NHL record?

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:31 AM
Erik Estrada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Pretty much agree with the general sentiment. Cole, Price, Gorges.

But I have to say, I am becoming a huge fan of Travis Moen. The play he made on that Kaberle goal last night was an NHL powerforward play. I don't know what that guy did in the offseason but he is becoming quite the hockey player. It was funny for a while but I am starting to take the guy seriously. He went from cement hands to being a potential legit top 6 player who can score, pass, defend... It's really amazing.

Who would have thought that in January Travis Moen would have more goals than Mike Cammalleri? Not to mention be +2.
No one in his right mind. This comes out of the blue. He never scored at any level before. (best Junior season: 10 g, best AHL season: 8g).

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
No one in his right mind. This comes out of the blue. He never scored at any level before.
Yep. I don't get how a guy like that suddenly develops hands and vision. It's really quite amazing. He is a legit scoring threat out there.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:39 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissexpert View Post
Why is Subban an option? I think his performance so far was 3rd or 4th best among defenseman...
To answer the question, Eric Cole by far, Gorges was steady too.
Well I have to say in that case it's because you think wrong

The kid plays 25-30 minutes a night, not saying he's been perfect but with the ice time he gets he's bound to make mistakes. We'd be last if it weren't for him or Price.

Gorges has been better mind you, I can't justify saying anyone else has been though. 3rd or 4th?

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Davebo
Le Gros Bill

Toss up between Cole and Gorges, for me. I went with the goal scorer with my vote, though.

Davebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:56 AM
JohnLennon

Gorges has been solid just about every single game this season, but Cole was off to a rough start and Price has had a few really iffy games. I'd say it's hands down Gorges, but I'm a little surprised at how few votes he got!

Gorges for me.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theosis View Post
1) Cole
2) Gorges
3) Price

In that order for me.
Total agreement here. I can't put Gorges above Cole because of Cole's production/impact, and can't put Price above Gorges as long as both his GAA and SV% are outside the top 30 in the league.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:31 PM
lxzred

I voted Cole, simply the biggest beast I've seen in a Habs uniform in my adult life. I give an honorable mention to AK. For all the hate he's gotten over the years his inconsistent play over the last few years has still consistently been near the top on the team. This year he seams to have found consistency, he usually is one of the most physical players on any given night and his Kovelev imitation last night was out of this world, and no one else will mention him. Normally I'd say "contract year" but I have a funny feeling in my gut that he's hear to stay and will flourish in an offensive minded game.

lxzred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 12:48 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Yep. I don't get how a guy like that suddenly develops hands and vision. It's really quite amazing. He is a legit scoring threat out there.
The vision part is what really surprises me. And he's learned not to telegraph his passes so it's legit when he makes a nice pass.

I've always been a big Moen supporter but even I never expected this. It doesn't look like luck either, it genuinely looks like he's improved overall.

Old
01-05-2012, 12:49 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxzred View Post
I voted Cole, simply the biggest beast I've seen in a Habs uniform in my adult life. I give an honorable mention to AK. For all the hate he's gotten over the years his inconsistent play over the last few years has still consistently been near the top on the team. This year he seams to have found consistency, he usually is one of the most physical players on any given night and his Kovelev imitation last night was out of this world, and no one else will mention him. Normally I'd say "contract year" but I have a funny feeling in my gut that he's hear to stay and will flourish in an offensive minded game.
If we lose him for nothing or some other team gets him and signs him 3x3/3.5 I'll be pissed dude. Always been a big supporter of AK46 too

Old
01-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
If we lose him for nothing or some other team gets him and signs him 3x3/3.5 I'll be pissed dude. Always been a big supporter of AK46 too
I'm with you guys.

Old
01-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Price deserves this but I'm glad to see Cole get some love. He's played with a lot of heart this year. I expected him to shrivel away when Martin benched and bashed him on the PP but he came on strong. He's shown a lot of character this year.
Quote:
If he doesn't sign by the deadline, we've got no choice but to deal him. We can't keep letting guys walk for nothing. We should be able to get him at a reasonable contract. Just don't let him leave for no return.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 05:31 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Price deserves this but I'm glad to see Cole get some love. He's played with a lot of heart this year. I expected him to shrivel away when Martin benched and bashed him on the PP but he came on strong. He's shown a lot of character this year.

If he doesn't sign by the deadline, we've got no choice but to deal him. We can't keep letting guys walk for nothing. We should be able to get him at a reasonable contract. Just don't let him leave for no return.
Agreed. Price definitely deserves it and I also agree about Andrei, I just think it would be quite stupid to not sign him if he's willing for a fair price. If he's traded and signs for a fair contract I won't be pleased

Price has played the most minutes of any goalie and still has very respectable numbers on a team that is struggling. Other guys like Ward don't have nice numbers on a struggling team. Wow though can't believe how well Jimmy Howard is playing this season, I hate to discredit him cause he is a good goalie but Detroit must be one hell of a team this year!

Old
01-05-2012, 06:39 PM
HabFan1975

Markov
at least we know how badly he is missed.

HabFan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 08:43 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Agreed. Price definitely deserves it and I also agree about Andrei, I just think it would be quite stupid to not sign him if he's willing for a fair price. If he's traded and signs for a fair contract I won't be pleased

Price has played the most minutes of any goalie and still has very respectable numbers on a team that is struggling. Other guys like Ward don't have nice numbers on a struggling team. Wow though can't believe how well Jimmy Howard is playing this season, I hate to discredit him cause he is a good goalie but Detroit must be one hell of a team this year!
Red herring. That's more a commentary on how "good" Budaj is. I really think Price has been too inconsistent to have a serious claim on "MVP". Way, way too many games down in 0.800 SV% territory, and I think it's telling that he has so few games where he was "statistically average" (which I would say is the 0.910 to 0.920 range). Highs have been really high, lows have been really low. IMO both Cole and Gorges have been more consistently above average in both effort and results.