HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#38|Jan. 5, 2012|Blackhawks at Flyers |7:00 p.m. ET

Old
01-05-2012, 10:25 PM
Jtown

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
We've played one more game than them, but we have just as many hockey wins as the "unstoppable" Boston Bruins ... so maybe it's not that bad.
Yeah then you realize they started off the season 3-7 , since then they have been 23-3-1.

23-3-1, it is that bad.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 10:28 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
We've played one more game than them, but we have just as many hockey wins as the "unstoppable" Boston Bruins ... so maybe it's not that bad.
That's a great way to look at it ! Boston is playing very well for sure and deserve credit, but i think ANY team can run into great winning streaks or losing streaks.....Its a long season, and Injuries etc can really rear their ugly heads....We are certainly missing our Captain on defense etc.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 10:29 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 569
Just to complete the earlier post, this is what Wayne Fish wrote:

Quote:
Timonen has upper body injury. He's wearing a soft cast on his hand. Was seen laughing with Ray Emery in hallway after game.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 10:35 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Just to complete the earlier post, this is what Wayne Fish wrote:
So it's a sprain possibly since a broken wrist doesn't necessarily induce laughter.....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 10:37 PM
AaronTrieu

Classic two goal lead is the worst in hockey. Flyers took the foot off the pedal. It didn't bite them in the arse tonight so hopefully they learn their lesson. We need to go on a run just to keep up

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 10:38 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
So it's a sprain possibly since a broken wrist doesn't necessarily induce laughter.....
Unless Ray Emery is the second coming of *insert your favorite comedian here*

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 10:39 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
That's a great way to look at it ! Boston is playing very well for sure and deserve credit, but i think ANY team can run into great winning streaks or losing streaks.....Its a long season, and Injuries etc can really rear their ugly heads....We are certainly missing our Captain on defense etc.
I really like what we have in size,speed and youth. But I think Homer needs to tinker with the defense. We do not need a superstar on the back end, just a very good pro who can be a calming influence there. Losing our Captain was terrible and hopefully he can return next year. But Bourdon still needs seasoning in the minors. He does not react to well under pressure. I know people are getting tired of me asking for a defense man like Tim Gleason. But that is what this team needs and we could get him without disrupting our lineup. To me that is key with all this youth Homer has assembled.

Sweden wins the Gold!!

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 10:58 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Unless Ray Emery is the second coming of *Giroux*
He was great with his one liners on 24/7 tonight!

Old
01-05-2012, 11:00 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I really like what we have in size,speed and youth. But I think Homer needs to tinker with the defense. We do not need a superstar on the back end, just a very good pro who can be a calming influence there. Losing our Captain was terrible and hopefully he can return next year. But Bourdon still needs seasoning in the minors. He does not react to well under pressure. I know people are getting tired of me asking for a defense man like Tim Gleason. But that is what this team needs and we could get him without disrupting our lineup. To me that is key with all this youth Homer has assembled.

Sweden wins the Gold!!
Yeah it's clear they need another veteran calming influence back there besides Timonen. If we had Pronger it would be so much better all around for the team..especially Bryz...

Old
01-05-2012, 11:02 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post

The guy has flat out sucked this season. Like he said, his stats are among the worst of the BACKUPS. I don't understand how you can defend Bryz when in this, apparently one of his better games, he posts a .882 SV%
Read my post. There is nothing there to defend Bryz.

I am just simply enjoying the win and wish you did the same.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:06 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
He's not playng good, we get it. But he made some big saves tonight. A few good 2 on 1s.

The 1st and 3rd goals were really bad. But poor defense from forwards and defensemen alike are plying a part in his poor numbers.

We all want to see him get better, in fact we're all demanding it. Today he made some game changing saves, that's a small step in the right direction.
Thank you!

Old
01-05-2012, 11:10 PM
bryzgalovsky*

Flawless logic

If the Flyers won 100 to 99 it would still be a good win for Bryzgalov because he "came up big" to stop the 100th goal from going in the net.

bryzgalovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:20 PM
Left Circle OneTimer

We need a real dman right now...

Bourdon and Lilja were total garbage tonight. Why does Bourdon fan on every 3rd pass attempt he makes?

Left Circle OneTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:25 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzgalovsky View Post
Flawless logic

If the Flyers won 100 to 99 it would still be a good win for Bryzgalov because he "came up big" to stop the 100th goal from going in the net.
He did better than the other guy, apparently. Yeesh, imagine those threads.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:25 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
He's not playng good, we get it. But he made some big saves tonight. A few good 2 on 1s.

The 1st and 3rd goals were really bad. But poor defense from forwards and defensemen alike are plying a part in his poor numbers.

We all want to see him get better, in fact we're all demanding it. Today he made some game changing saves, that's a small step in the right direction.
I know you have played goal, so I'm VERY interested in your post. What more could he have done on the 3rd goal? He looked like he was out on it fine. Coburn's stick was also screening the release point.

On Kane's goal, he didn't give much to shoot at, yet a great scorer (who was wide open) made a great play.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:26 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
Stealing a game is making the saves when the team needs it the most. No one expects a goalie to have a shutout every night.

I think if Bryz were to have a 30 save shutout he would still not get the credit he deserves.
That sounds to me like...doing your job, not stealing a game.

Stealing a game means making multiple saves that you had no business making; and being so good, that the team clearly would have lost without you. Therefore you stole the win from them. It's not something that should happen regularly, or else it would just be....normal.

Making 30 routine saves isn't stealing a game.
Making 30 routine saves and 1 huge one, isn't stealing a game. It's being clutch, though.
Making 35+ saves, with multiple big saves, and winning 1-0 or 2-1, or something along those lines...is stealing a game.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:28 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink the Clown View Post
When was that exactly? I particularly liked the wrist shot from the circle he let in to a defenseman who's never scored 10 goals in his career.
Chicago was killing it the first 10 minutes. At 10:30 he made a fantastic sprawling save.

Old
01-05-2012, 11:32 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
FINALLY someone sees it. Lavi's system would be great for the '87 Oilers but this team is thin up front and its blue lines corps is a sieve.

Sadly, he refuses to adjust despite the obvious fact that his system doesn't match his personnel.

They are in big trouble if he doesn't learn.
Can't agree with this more. Great coaches adjust when the personnel can't run what's being asked.

Lavi's all about turning the play the other way, we have alot of dumb turnovers from our defense trying to first pass a breakout. In addition, if the skating effort isn't there we hang ANY goalie we have out to dry.

Old
01-05-2012, 11:33 PM
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
Anyone got any good Photoshop ideas with Zac Rinaldo in it?

Jaydepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:35 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydepps View Post
Anyone got any good Photoshop ideas with Zac Rinaldo in it?
Yeah....

Old
01-05-2012, 11:38 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
That sounds to me like...doing your job, not stealing a game.

Stealing a game means making multiple saves that you had no business making; and being so good, that the team clearly would have lost without you. Therefore you stole the win from them. It's not something that should happen regularly, or else it would just be....normal.

Making 30 routine saves isn't stealing a game.
Making 30 routine saves and 1 huge one, isn't stealing a game. It's being clutch, though.
Making 35+ saves, with multiple big saves, and winning 1-0 or 2-1, or something along those lines...is stealing a game.
If he and Bob do it routinly and the team keeps winning I will be a happy camper.

Old
01-05-2012, 11:40 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

That's fine for the reg season...but playoffs you need clutch goaltending since outscoring your opponent to win becomes less likely...we should have learned that from the finals against Chicago. I doubt anybody will be happy campers if they don't pick up their games considerably....especially Bryz

Old
01-05-2012, 11:41 PM
Left Circle OneTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
The powerplay runs through him so he gets a lot points there too.

I just think that together, Jagr and Giroux are the best duo in the NHl (only behind the Sedins and even then they can give the twins a run for their money).
Agreed.

Why are people trying to blame Lavi's system now? The system is perfectly fine. For what i'm realizing its a situation where the defense are just playing like crap with Bryz in the net but when Bob is in they play perfectly fine. We allow only one goal against a Stars team that had scored atleast 3 in each of their last 7 at home and 5 in the games before and after we played them. The winter classic showed the defense was just fine too but the soft goals somehow went in still. The defense for whatever reason plays like crap when Bryz is in the net and much better when Bob is in the net. Its also reflecting on our home and away record. teams are supposed to be better at home .

Either way go and get Tim Gleason/Grossman/whoever else had speculation already. Just go get a legitimate stay at home guy that we dont have to give up anything for.

To sum it up, Lavi's system is perfectly fine. He needs to stop making Briere take defensive faceoffs tho. Thats just a disaster

Left Circle OneTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:43 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Frank Seravalli @DNFlyers 4m
Ilya Bryzgalov says he is too ill to address the media tonight. Sounds like the top brass was perfectly okay with that.

LOLZ
good. everybody yelled @ Bryz to shut his mouth.

don't cry now, reporters, because he listened.

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:52 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Circle OneTimer View Post
Agreed.

Why are people trying to blame Lavi's system now? The system is perfectly fine. For what i'm realizing its a situation where the defense are just playing like crap with Bryz in the net but when Bob is in they play perfectly fine. We allow only one goal against a Stars team that had scored atleast 3 in each of their last 7 at home and 5 in the games before and after we played them. The winter classic showed the defense was just fine too but the soft goals somehow went in still. The defense for whatever reason plays like crap when Bryz is in the net and much better when Bob is in the net. Its also reflecting on our home and away record. teams are supposed to be better at home .

Either way go and get Tim Gleason/Grossman/whoever else had speculation already. Just go get a legitimate stay at home guy that we dont have to give up anything for.

To sum it up, Lavi's system is perfectly fine. He needs to stop making Briere take defensive faceoffs tho. Thats just a disaster
Briere is a disaster period defensively. I also do agree that we seem to hang Bryz out more than Bob. Perhaps its because Bryz has more starts. The D was good from about 10 in the first to 7 minutes to go, minus a shift or two.

The point about Lavi's system is that it reminds me alot of the Eagles philosophy. If we don't score 5 goals (or Eagles get 40) our chances drastically reduce to win games. We can't win a game when we don't get bounces, because we don't do the little things in our own end as a team to get it done. We forchecked very good tonight, and still had a bunch of breakdowns.

If Timonen is out, I think we have to go after Beauchemin...he's the only guy that can come close to replacing everything KT brings to the table. Gleason's great, but he's a 0 for offense.