Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Teemu: a faint hope?

Old
01-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Benji Frank

vCash: 500
i guess after what happened May 31st, we can never say never, but i just don't see it this time. if Teemu thought he had a year left in him and could come over as a rental and then go back to Anaheim next year to retire as a Duck maybe. But Teemu strikes me as the type of guy who wouldn't want to sign that one day contract ala Modano to retire in a ducks jersey ... esp. after playing for a few months in a city where he's thought of as God.... I just don't see him in any jersey but his current one come April. He's a classy guy who i think will just go down with the ship rather then letting Anaheim get a token pick or whatever for him ... and that'll probably be perfectly fine with the Ducks managemetn group!

i think the next time we see him on the ice in winnipeg is in a few years when we get one of those heritage classics games at the new stadium and he agrees to play in the old timers game!!

Benji Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:53 PM
KingSalamon

If I know how Chevy operates, he won't give up much of anything for Teemu... yeah it would be awesome but I'm certain teams like NYR or Philly or Boston or insert cup contender name here would be willing to offer a lot more than Winnipeg as they are gunning for it all.

Anything can happen in the NHL but I don't know if this could happen... unless there is some behind the scenes things that go on that gets him here for little to no cost.

KingSalamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:59 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
short answer: no
long answer: **** no

we need to stop living in the past.
we are not a 41 year old teemu away from winning a cup.
you gots to believe kaydub.

winning the stanley cup doesnt have to be a slow building process....winning the president's trophy does.

remember when calgary made it to the final...and then edmonton?....those were not great teams.
all it takes is to get there and then to get hot at the right time.

....never stop living in the past...it was cool back then.

....i agree with you that we should probably not sign selanne though.

peter sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:48 PM
jetbomber96

Whats with all this live in the past talk. Teemu Selanne still plays in the NHL, we have a team in the NHL and he is still a productive hockey player. He is not having much fun right now and it would be sad to see him end his career on a low like this. Adding Teemu beyond emotional reasons still makes sense solely based on his numbers on the worst team in the NHL. It is evident that this is what the majority of the fans want.

The past hockey history in this city is what makes our fans so special. Much of the emotion comes from what has occurred in the past.

jetbomber96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 12:07 AM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

I don't know if Teemu has a no trade contract, but I would imagine he does. Even without it, at his age, he is not going anywhere unless he wants to. So if towards the trade deadline, Anaheim still sucks, Rob Murray go to Teemu and say to him, if you want to be traded, where do you want to go?

Teemu will decline, or give a list. If he gives a list, it might be long, it might be short, but it will be up to him. We can hope. But that's all it is. If Winnipeg is on the list, I'm sure Chevy and Murra will come to a fair and reasonable deal for all concerned. This is going on a lot of ifs, but if it gets to that stage, Murray could even say give us a 9th round draft pick and bag of pucks, or if it's still allowed by the rules, $1, as Detroit gave the original Jets for Kris Draper.

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 12:13 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jet View Post
I don't know if Teemu has a no trade contract, but I would imagine he does. Even without it, at his age, he is not going anywhere unless he wants to. So if towards the trade deadline, Anaheim still sucks, Rob Murray go to Teemu and say to him, if you want to be traded, where do you want to go?

Teemu will decline, or give a list. If he gives a list, it might be long, it might be short, but it will be up to him. We can hope. But that's all it is. If Winnipeg is on the list, I'm sure Chevy and Murra will come to a fair and reasonable deal for all concerned. This is going on a lot of ifs, but if it gets to that stage, Murray could even say give us a 9th round draft pick and bag of pucks, or if it's still allowed by the rules, $1, as Detroit gave the original Jets for Kris Draper.
Just FYI, there are only 7 rounds in the draft now. And trading for money is no longer allowed. You can trade for "future considerations" which is usually nothing. Also, Teemu does have NTC.

This is moot if we are not in the playoff hunt though, so Jets need to pick it up for this to even matter.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 12:53 AM
jvl4

http://www.thescore.com/home/article...y-untouchables

I think this link gives us the answer on this issue.

jvl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:04 AM
GrandChelems

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvl4 View Post
http://www.thescore.com/home/article...y-untouchables

I think this link gives us the answer on this issue.
No, it doesn't. This may be an announcement to the league that the only movement Selanne will be making will be to Winnipeg if he does wave his no trade clause. Same may be said for Koivu and Montreal.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Blackie Dammit
proud flatlander

If the Jets don't wake the F up this topic is pointless.

If they do wake up, I believe we could get Teemu as a rental for the ultra low price of Flood and a 3rd. ANA is in the Yakupov race right now and without their top point getter their chances improve greatly. But this deal would have to happen before the trade deadline to benefit either team.

Blackie Dammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 01:52 AM
jvl4

To me it wouldn't make any sense. I am a huge Selanne fan, loved watching him in Jets 1.0 and being at the Ducks game this year was unreal! All that being said, I think we have to come to reality here. Selanne has said he will not uproot his family anywhere, he is a family man with 4 kids and even a month or two is long so I doubt he would agree to come here. Secondly, the Jets are a team that's building for the future. How would it make sense to trade draft picks or prospects in order to get Selanne for a month or two. Yes he's still unreal at his age and posting strong numbers, but why would we give away anything that would help build us for the future to acquire a good player for 2 months and who will not re-sign for a full year next year which I can garantee you he won't. I am not a Selanne hater, quite the opposite he is actually my favourite Jets player of all time and I would honestly love to see him here, but we need to stop thinking of Jets 1.0 and look at what's best for this team moving forward. We need to get over the nostalgia of the Jets and think what makes sense. Cheveldayoff won't make a move to bring a former star for 2 months to appease fans. He will make moves to build depth and the future of this team. I think as fans we need to understand that although we have an NHL team back with the same name, it is no longer 1996.

jvl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Blackie Dammit
proud flatlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvl4 View Post
To me it wouldn't make any sense. I am a huge Selanne fan, loved watching him in Jets 1.0 and being at the Ducks game this year was unreal! All that being said, I think we have to come to reality here. Selanne has said he will not uproot his family anywhere, he is a family man with 4 kids and even a month or two is long so I doubt he would agree to come here. Secondly, the Jets are a team that's building for the future. How would it make sense to trade draft picks or prospects in order to get Selanne for a month or two. Yes he's still unreal at his age and posting strong numbers, but why would we give away anything that would help build us for the future to acquire a good player for 2 months and who will not re-sign for a full year next year which I can garantee you he won't. I am not a Selanne hater, quite the opposite he is actually my favourite Jets player of all time and I would honestly love to see him here, but we need to stop thinking of Jets 1.0 and look at what's best for this team moving forward. We need to get over the nostalgia of the Jets and think what makes sense. Cheveldayoff won't make a move to bring a former star for 2 months to appease fans. He will make moves to build depth and the future of this team. I think as fans we need to understand that although we have an NHL team back with the same name, it is no longer 1996.

It makes complete sense if you think about it from an owners or managers standpoint. MONEY MONEY MONEY

What would the Jets lose? 1 defenseman and a 3rd?

Have you seen our prospect pool of defensemen, it's overflowing.

The move would not be to please the fans, it would make TN millions and give the team a better chance to make the playoffs........and a few more million.

Blackie Dammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Becel
I Hate Jamie Macoun

Wondering, IF this does happen who everyone thinks Teemu would play with. I would be very hesitant to mess with the Kane, Little, Wheeler line. That leaves Antropov, Burmistrov, Ladd, and Wellwood?

Becel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Kinjero
Friends... for-ev-er

Selanne on a second line with Anthro and either Burmi or Welly would be bananas.

Kinjero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 02:55 PM
jazznik
Thrashers forever

Teemu is still a great player and would be a great pickup but where are some of these trade suggestions coming from? A 3rd rounder? A 3rd rounder and a marginal prospect or Flood? Why the hell would the Ducks do that? If they are going to get such a poor return better just let him play out his career in Anaheim, that's worth more in fan interest/excitement alone.

The guy's still scoring at a ppg pace, add in his huge experience level and he's not being moved for less than a 1st rounder, probably more.

Dustin Penner went for a 1st, former 1st round pick and conditional 3rd, Teemu is ten times the player Penner has ever been.

Even if Teemu say's he'll only waive to go to the Jets the Ducks will still want good value.

At the sort of price the Ducks will command it's not worth it for the Jets, someone going for a cup will be willing to pay it (Philly, Detroit, Boston) but the Jets should stay away.

jazznik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 03:09 PM
dkehler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznik View Post
Teemu is still a great player and would be a great pickup but where are some of these trade suggestions coming from? A 3rd rounder? A 3rd rounder and a marginal prospect or Flood? Why the hell would the Ducks do that? If they are going to get such a poor return better just let him play out his career in Anaheim, that's worth more in fan interest/excitement alone.

The guy's still scoring at a ppg pace, add in his huge experience level and he's not being moved for less than a 1st rounder, probably more.

Dustin Penner went for a 1st, former 1st round pick and conditional 3rd, Teemu is ten times the player Penner has ever been.

Even if Teemu say's he'll only waive to go to the Jets the Ducks will still want good value.

At the sort of price the Ducks will command it's not worth it for the Jets, someone going for a cup will be willing to pay it (Philly, Detroit, Boston) but the Jets should stay away.
No one knows for sure what the asking price would be, but a first rounder to rent a guy for around six weeks (or maybe a bit more depending on how far the team he gets traded to goes in the playoffs) seems crazy to me. What do the Ducks get out of it? They get an extra prospect or two, which is more than they will have when he retires at the end of this season. If the price is more than a third rounder plus someone like Flood, I agree, the Jets should not pay it.

dkehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 1300
Quote:

Penner and Selanne are completely different situations.

Penner was able to insight a bidding war. Because Selanne holds the cards in his trade, teams can't just battle offers for him.

He is also one of the only guaranteed rentals. If he resigns next year it's going to be with Anaheim again. Whoever gets Selanne is getting him for a playoff run and that's it. No trying to resign him later.

Plus Penner is a lot younger and has the slightest advantage in that category because of it.

I don't agree that he's worth a 3rd, but he is also not worth a Penner style return.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 05:22 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

If Teemu somehow got to Winnipeg, do you think he'd get a "C" or an "A" on his jersey? That would be really special, but it might throw off the chemistry.

Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 05:48 PM
Jet
Stand by your man

vCash: 50
Quote:

A player that will retire at the end of the season, and basically hand picks where he goes IF he decides to go anywhere will in no way garner a 1st round pick.

/story.

PS if a team is moronic enough to give the Ducks a 1st round pick for Selanne, they deserve what they get. I could see Burke doing it because he is an idiot, and Millbury, should he get another GM job in the NHL.

01-09-2012, 06:02 PM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
A player that will retire at the end of the season, and basically hand picks where he goes IF he decides to go anywhere will in no way garner a 1st round pick.

/story.

PS if a team is moronic enough to give the Ducks a 1st round pick for Selanne, they deserve what they get. I could see Burke doing it because he is an idiot, and Millbury, should he get another GM job in the NHL.
Come one, let it out man, let us know how you feel about Burkie and Millbury. It's healthy to let it out

Wonko the Sane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 07:15 PM
bluefan

I'd kill to see a Wellwood, Burmi and Selanne line.

bluefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 07:32 PM
Ziggy66

"This is too early to think about that [leaving]," he said. "The focus is right here. Let’s see what happens with right now. It’s time to have fun here."

So, does his family have veto power over a move? Selanne laughed and said they did not.
"The family has always been supportive," he said. "They know what’s going on and they’ve always stood behind my decisions. That’s the easiest part."

So if the Ducks tank like they are maybe he will consider Wpg if we are in the run

Ziggy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 08:14 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Apparently on the Hot Stove on Hockey Night in Canada Saturday Eric Francis said
that if the Ducks are pretty well out of playoff contention (as they appear to be), Selanne would possibly welcome a trade to Winnipeg.

Not breaking news, obviously, but perhaps something that we can go on here for a bit for us wishful thinkers.

Obviously this all goes out the window if we continue to slide and fall right out of the race. That would be a shame as we would never know what could have been.

Or, perhaps we make a deal sooner than some think here and possibly do what it takes to right this ship before it potentially sinks to far. I wouldn't count that possibility out either.

01-16-2012, 09:50 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I'm starting to interpret all these "Selanne would consider a trade to a contender" rumors and speculation as Selanne basically being open to the idea of returning back to Winnipeg (and no other city) if the Ducks are out and the Jets are in the playoff mix at the deadline.

Perhaps all that has happened is that Selanne has told people close to him or Bob Murray directly that he would waive his NTC for Winnipeg, and that has evolved into stories that Selanne would waive his NTC for any playoff contender or that Selanne wants out of Anaheim.

His return in December was an emotional night for him, his family and the fans in Winnipeg. As a player at 41, those kind of things affect you differently than most players. I wouldn't be shocked if his absolute loyalty to the Ducks has waned a bit since then.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:50 AM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
I'm starting to interpret all these "Selanne would consider a trade to a contender" rumors and speculation as Selanne basically being open to the idea of returning back to Winnipeg (and no other city) if the Ducks are out and the Jets are in the playoff mix at the deadline.

Perhaps all that has happened is that Selanne has told people close to him or Bob Murray directly that he would waive his NTC for Winnipeg, and that has evolved into stories that Selanne would waive his NTC for any playoff contender or that Selanne wants out of Anaheim.

His return in December was an emotional night for him, his family and the fans in Winnipeg. As a player at 41, those kind of things affect you differently than most players. I wouldn't be shocked if his absolute loyalty to the Ducks has waned a bit since then.
Might be wishful thinking, but it's no different from people in Boston and San Jose thinking Teemu wants to go there for no reason whatsoever.

So count me in

Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2012, 10:57 AM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

Well, Jets would have to be a contender, or else I wouldn't consider sacrificing any of our young prospects otherwise. No matter how much I love Teemu.

I did trade Bogosian for Teemu and a first round draft pick in my NHL12 season in 'Be a GM Mode'. Actually I think I had to give up Bogosian and a 3rd for Teemu and a 1st. Jets won the cup, and Teemu was my leading scorer that year, but of course it's easy to score on Pro mode in NHL12 and you can take any team all the way vs. CPU opponents. Then he retired the next year and there was nothing I could do about it.

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote