HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cade Fairchild's play so far

Old
01-05-2012, 04:28 AM
Robb_K

vCash: 500
Cade Fairchild's play so far

I thought Fairchild played pretty well against Phoenix in his 12+ minutes. He looked reasonably poised considering the few games he's played in The NHL, and he was effective. I was also impressed by his shot blocking.

I'd like to know what the rest of you think of his play so far.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 04:50 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Limited play with a lot of support and careful minutes, but I've been very happily surprised. I liked his game when he was in college, but it's transferred much more quickly and smoothly to the NHL than I would have guessed. VERY interested to see what happens when he gets more minutes.

Cole, Shattenkirk, and Fairchild...something defensive and Bluesy in the United States water supply that year.

rumrokh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 09:08 AM
Renard

I didn't get to see the game Tuesday, but I thought he looked very poised the first time he was up here.

His +/- in Peoria was impressive (the best in the AHL), not just the number (+21) but how much better it was than the next highest on the team.

He looks like a fine prospect, despite his size.

Renard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 10:19 AM
SirPaste

vCash: 245
Gotta say I was never too big on Fairchild but he has played extremely well in Peoria this year and the couple games he has played with the Blues I thuoght he looked fine, nothing great but not bad either. Kid might have a very bright future.

SirPaste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:47 PM
h22prelude93

I liked how he pinched in on the play a few times, and his positioning seemed pretty sound. Not sure if we'll see much more of him this season, but he's definitely fun to watch. I'm also interested to see how he responds with a little added ice time.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 11:32 PM
GOBLUES4257

He has been great so far. He knows what to do when the puck comes to him. I didnt think he would ever see playing time with the blues at all this year.

GOBLUES4257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 01:07 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBLUES4257 View Post
He has been great so far. He knows what to do when the puck comes to him. I didn't think he would ever see playing time with the blues at all this year.
Pretty impressive for a first-year pro. He's done surprisingly well at Peoria, let alone looking like he belongs in The NHL-especially for a player whose scouting report at the draft implied that he was, basically, a one-way offensive defenceman.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 01:44 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Pretty impressive for a first-year pro. He's done surprisingly well at Peoria, let alone looking like he belongs in The NHL-especially for a player whose scouting report at the draft implied that he was, basically, a one-way offensive defenceman.
After his first year in college his offensive number declined, but that was because he became much more dedicated to the defensive game. After that point he seemed to move from an offensive defenseman to a guy who had an ever improving two-way game. Its such a shame he doesn't have a touch bigger frame. The kid could be a top four defensemen with a touch more size. Regardless of his size the guy should carve out a nice NHL career. I just wonder if that will be with us or another team.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 01:55 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

We used to say we hoped one of the three midgets would become something (Fairchild, Warsofsky or K.Berglund). Well, maybe one might. Plus one of the other ones already turned into Sobotka which is a huge win.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 06:31 PM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

Does anyone know anything about his shoulder, how serious was the surgery?

From what I've seen he passes the eye test, he doesn't seem out of place. It's nice they may have another piece of depth on the blueline, but I really hope we don't see that much of him unless after the trade dead line he's brought up as the seventh dman.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 01:43 PM
STL fan in IA

I've definitely been impressed with Fairchild's progression this season. I remember saying over the summer to not forget about this guy and that he was a legit NHL prospect but I sure didn't expect him to be this good this fast. That's not to say he's on his way to stardom or anything but I think the Blues certainly have another young quality d-man with Fairchild. He'll likely only serve as depth for the most part this season but he's good depth to have and could be a part of the future in STL or used as trade bait.

I remember thinking that he was just ok after his Freshman season but then he really started to catch my eye after that. It seemed like many forgot about him while he honed his craft up at U of Minn but he developed into a good two-way d-man. He grew an inch or so too over that time to get to 5'11" so that helped as well.

I'm still pleasantly surprised we were able to get Sobotka for Warsofsky. Still, Army traded Warsofsky to the one team that would probably value him higher than any other team, the Bruins. Warsofsky was a Boston area HS star and then a star at Boston U so I'm sure he's got a little more pull for him there being the hometown kid than he would pretty much anywhere else and Army took advantage of that. That and the Bruins were loaded with centers and needed to make cap room so Army took advantage of that too. Warsofsky certainly has NHL skill but at 5'8"-5'9", my gut tells me he doesn't have enough skill to overcome that much of a size disadvantage at the NHL level. He's currently in his first pro season with the AHL's P-Bruins.

K-Berg seemed to have decent NHL skill but likely would've had to have put in a good amount of AHL time to have a chance to make it at 5'10" and he chose to stay in Sweden. That's not too surprising.

Given that all 3 were 4th or 5th rd picks, getting 1 of the 3 to develop into an NHLer is quite good and getting a quality player like Sobotka for another is outstanding.

STL fan in IA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 12:13 AM
inglouriousbackes

he definitely looks like he's ready to leap in the NHL full time in a year or time. With the limited amount of games he's been playing, I've been impressed with his progression. Our Backend right now, looks to be locked up for the next 5 years or so.

inglouriousbackes is offline   Reply With Quote