HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Laviolette's System

Old
01-06-2012, 05:08 AM
flyersfan187

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
I have been against this system for awhile. It is a great regular season system but when it is matched up against a top team it falls apart especially once you get a top team going against you in the playoffs like the Blackhawks or Bruins... When I watch the Bruins and their system as there are hardly any rebounds or even many great chances I just sit there and think why can't the Flyers play that kind of defense.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 05:16 AM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink the Clown View Post
3rd in the league in goals.
The problem (generally) isnt scoreing it's keeping them out. Bad goal keeping is a big part but so is bad defending, for the most part last night we looked ok, but when we **** up we do it in style. Also defending is a team thing, when you get two players battling one behind the opponents goal line and they lose you have already left yourself outmanned for the counter rush.

Just think their might be a more efficient way for some (not all) of the lines to play. Maybe get the Talbot, Briere, Voracek line to play Tampa's 1-3-1

JoeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 06:12 AM
BernieParent

Laviolette should modify the part of his system where the team takes a period off every game.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 06:37 AM
Left Circle OneTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
I have been against this system for awhile. It is a great regular season system but when it is matched up against a top team it falls apart especially once you get a top team going against you in the playoffs like the Blackhawks or Bruins... When I watch the Bruins and their system as there are hardly any rebounds or even many great chances I just sit there and think why can't the Flyers play that kind of defense.
That has to do with the goaltender, not the system.

Left Circle OneTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:06 AM
kimmofan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Laviolette should modify the part of his system where the team takes a period off every game.
hahahahahaha i actually laughed out loud.

kimmofan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:17 AM
kimmofan44

i like lavy's forecheck system, but for someone who has won a stanley cup he certainly looks like a one trick pony. i'd love to see some adaptability out there and maybe a more defensive gameplan when we get the lead. i'm not saying play the trap but it feels like the team can't maintain a lead when they are constantly trying to apply pressure. i also feel like we are eshausted in the third from his constant and unrelenting forecheck which would also explain why we don't have any jump when we play a back to back.

Old
01-06-2012, 07:20 AM
Left Circle OneTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmofan44 View Post
i like lavy's forecheck system, but for someone who has won a stanley cup he certainly looks like a one trick pony. i'd love to see some adaptability out there and maybe a more defensive gameplan when we get the lead. i'm not saying play the trap but it feels like the team can't maintain a lead when they are constantly trying to apply pressure. i also feel like we are eshausted in the third from his constant and unrelenting forecheck which would also explain why we don't have any jump when we play a back to back.
We have won 3 of our 4 back to back games... Only loss being to the Rangers who we can't beat even with 5 days rest.

Old
01-06-2012, 08:15 AM
kimmofan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Circle OneTimer View Post
We have won 3 of our 4 back to back games... Only loss being to the Rangers who we can't beat even with 5 days rest.
they are actually 3 and 2 but your point is still solid

Old
01-06-2012, 08:20 AM
kimmofan44

wins against phoenix pitt and carolina losses to ny and nj

Old
01-06-2012, 08:25 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

The goals against aren't a result of the weakness of an aggressive forechecking system (which is counter rushes requiring equally aggressive backchecking.)

The goals against are coming from weak goalie play, deflections, and not clearing the porch. Some of which results from not having a physical defenseman clearing the porch. That's the result of lacking a player, not of a weakness in Lavi's system.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:32 AM
Left Circle OneTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
The goals against aren't a result of the weakness of an aggressive forechecking system (which is counter rushes requiring equally aggressive backchecking.)

The goals against are coming from weak goalie play, deflections, and not clearing the porch. Some of which results from not having a physical defenseman clearing the porch. That's the result of lacking a player, not of a weakness in Lavi's system.
I don't care what people want to believe. WHen i see guys like Tim Thomas and Henrik Lundqvist stop 1-0 breakaways 5 times a game and Bryz cant stop the only one he gets every 3 games you know its goaltending. People who say Bryz is playing fine our defense is bad have obviously never watch these goaltenders player. Just look up any game with tim thomas last year and you'll see exactly what i mean. Luongo looked exactly like Bry earlier this year too and now in the lats 15 games hes been a top3 goalie in the league over that stretch

Old
01-06-2012, 12:59 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Circle OneTimer View Post
That has to do with the goaltender, not the system.
Which goaltender? We have had 9 different goalies since 2007 and every single one of them has been blamed for the losses. Goalies who perform well elsewhere, who were drafted in the first round, not drafted, make a lot of money, get paid peanuts, etc.

What do they all have in common? 9 different goalies who all suck here? OR a flawed D system?

9 bad goalies < D system

Also - someone else mentioned the part about taking a period off. I think that this fast-paced game we play is the cause. We score a lot and skate very hard BUT without Pronger, we don't dictate the pace of the game anymore. So, a team like Boston who does will constantly expose how flat we look because we chase, chase, chase and they wait and keep the tempo at their pace. We will ALWAYS fail against teams that use that system.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 04:55 PM
Left Circle OneTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
Which goaltender? We have had 9 different goalies since 2007 and every single one of them has been blamed for the losses. Goalies who perform well elsewhere, who were drafted in the first round, not drafted, make a lot of money, get paid peanuts, etc.

What do they all have in common? 9 different goalies who all suck here? OR a flawed D system?

9 bad goalies < D system

Also - someone else mentioned the part about taking a period off. I think that this fast-paced game we play is the cause. We score a lot and skate very hard BUT without Pronger, we don't dictate the pace of the game anymore. So, a team like Boston who does will constantly expose how flat we look because we chase, chase, chase and they wait and keep the tempo at their pace. We will ALWAYS fail against teams that use that system.
And which of those Goalies were actually good?

I need to find a way for people on this forum to understand...

The Detroit Red Wings.

I don't know if you guys watch games for other teams but they play practically the eaxct same system we play. Almost even in goals scored, same pp% but they have a better P.K. They play practically the same system as us and are just as aggressive on the forecheck and with chasing as we are. Detroits goaltending GA last year is almost exactly what ours is right now (2.89 to 2.92). They play the same system and look at their goaltending comparing this year and last year. Jimmy Howard has been playing like an elite goaltender and makes a steal like save every 3rd save. Watch a game this year with Conklin instead in the net. In both occasaions they are playing a practically exact same system as us yet Conklin looks just like Bryz but worst. Despite how much people wanted to believe our goaltending was bad last year, we actually ranked 11th compared to the 23rd we are ranked nnow. Similarly Detroit was ranked 23rd last year. Look at the comparison with Bob in net. He lets in terrible goals through his pads and arms but why is it the defense just seem to be better when Bob is in net as opposed to bryz? Bryz doesn't communicate well enough with his d-men? Or is it his positioning? Bryz lets in a lot of goals that are easily preventable with proper positioning.

I also hate the fact people keep responding with "Thats a high percentage shot, he had no chance". Are you guys actually watching any top goalie in the league play? I have seen guys like Thomas, henrik, howard and even guys like khabibulin and elliot make MULTIPLE SAVES A GAME on attempts such as what Shaw had. Bryz never makes a save on a shot like that. Anyone here actually watching other teams play will clearly see theres not a thing wrong with our system and the goaltending has been bad Also someone must not have been paying attention to a goalie that has a 2.5 gaa on one of the most defensive teams in the league (and a 2.92 2 years before that)and who has a 4.00 gaa throughout his last 11 play off games when they signed this guy

Pheonix plays a system that's very defensive and the team faces a lot of shots as they play staggered in their d-zone. Jimmy Howard is a perfect example this year og what proper goaltending does to the team especially when they play practically the same system. Exact same situation, many games he doesnt even face 25 shots just like Bryz and thus the shots he do face will be a higher percentage shot yet he gets the stops