HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#38|Jan. 5, 2012|Blackhawks at Flyers |7:00 p.m. ET

Old
01-06-2012, 12:07 AM
WeekendAtBernies

vCash: 500
I've been Bryz's biggest critic.

And I yelled @ Bryz at first for tonight, but I gotta be honest... he was pretty good tonight. Definitely a step in the right direction.

And not talking to the media is another good step. He needs to focus, he needs to cut guys like Timmy P out of his life. He doesn't need to be continually asked about (reminded of) how poorly he played and he doesn't need to be told that fans are speaking ill of him... HE KNOWS.

------------------------------------------------

As far as tonight goes:

Goal 1: Would I like to see him close the pads faster there? You're darn right I would. But it was a total defensive breakdown and it all happened pretty quickly. The poke check attempt was a little puzzling and probably stopped him from making a save, but it happens. I put this one partially on Bryz b/c he shouldn't have been trying the poke check there and then he would've been in proper position to make that save, but still it's a pretty decent goal off a tip-in.

Goal 2: I love Kimmo, but it's a terrible play by Timonen that causes this. He totally craps the bed defensively and then on top of that, get's his stick tangled w/ Bryz, turning Bryz's shoulder and knocking the stick out of his hand, leaving Bryz in no position to even come close to making a save. 100% Timonen's fault. NO BLAME TO BRYZ.

Goal 3: First, it's a great shot. Perfectly placed and really the only place Seabrook could put it. As far as what Bryz could've or should've done differently, he should've come out further to challenge the shooter and he shouldn't have made that final push towards the post. That final little bit of movement towards the post is what left the backside of the goal open. All in all though, this is a great shot and Bryz was in pretty good position. I can't really blame him for a sick snipe. And I don't care that Seabrook isn't a sniper and blah blah blah. He uncorked a nice shot that was perfectly placed. It doesn't matter if the guy has 5 straight 50 goal seasons or hasn't ever scored 10 in a season... it was destined to find twine when it left his stick. If we really want to assign blame for this one, how about we get on Claude Giroux?!? He could've backchecked on Seabrook, but he eased up assuming that Coburn would cover Seabrook. Coburn was headed the wrong direction though (towards the other side of the ice) so he couldn't fully recover to take the speeding Seabrook and block his shot fully. I blame Giroux a lot more than I blame Bryz on that one... it was a lazy backcheck and he could've stopped the shot from ever taking place. This is the kind of crap that you hear Lavvy constantly harping about on 24/7... when we quit giving effort in our backcheck is when we start giving up goals in bunches.

Goal 4: This is honestly the one I blame Bryz the most for. Everyone is probably screaming "WHAT?!?!?" at me, because it came off a horrible defensive zone turnover, but it's the one goal where Bryz made the clearest mistake. Yes Kane was alone in the middle, but Bryz actually was in good position to make a stop and had the angle cut down on Kane. But then, Bryz committed the cardinal sin: HE MADE THE FIRST MOVE. He started to go down into the butterfly and showed Kane the top left corner of the net before Kane released it. Kane, a noted sniper, took advantage of the clear opening and deposited the puck into the net. Had Bryz made himself big and not gone down early, I think he makes a big stop there and the game is still 4-3.

At any rate, mixed in w/ those 4 goals were some pretty big stops. It was a solid effort from Bryz.

On a night where you get a win, your goalie made some big stops, and your biggest gripe about "poor goaltending" is on a 1 on 0 w/ Patrick Kane 10 ft out, I don't know how you can be angry.

Hopefully Bryz builds on this.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 12:19 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
I've been Bryz's biggest critic.

And I yelled @ Bryz at first for tonight, but I gotta be honest... he was pretty good tonight. Definitely a step in the right direction.
Sandlansd, are you feeling ok?

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 12:19 AM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

I loved Bryz's pads, is he keeping them?

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 12:32 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

My take on Bryz tonight is that he was really solid except when he wasn't. I really want to see him just be really solid for an entire game. bail out the D, etc. etc.

01-06-2012, 12:59 AM
DeflatedFootball7

Bryz was ok. Not anything to cry over. IMO the only really bad goal was the Seabrook goal. Step in the right direction for sure.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 01:06 AM
Devastate

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
I know you have played goal, so I'm VERY interested in your post. What more could he have done on the 3rd goal? He looked like he was out on it fine. Coburn's stick was also screening the release point.
I've only seen the goal twice, so if I'm wrong PLEASE correct me

I think he gave him a tad bit more to shoot at than he should have, should have read the play better, I think we could all agree that seabrooks only play was to shoot or skate arund the net. Bryz shoul have challenged more.

I also think he didn't get the clearest view of the puck, but really if he challenges or makes a play towards the puck(he goes down in the butterfly but doesn't push towards the puck) then the puck SHOULD hit him in the chest

Devastate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 01:20 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

it just amazing how this team continues to leave high skilled players wide open and with all day to shoot and we have goalies giving up at least 1 soft goal per game.
Havent seen the highlights yet. Just got home from work. Just reading the GDT is frustrating enough.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 02:06 AM
fauxflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Circle OneTimer View Post
We need a real dman right now...

Bourdon and Lilja were total garbage tonight. Why does Bourdon fan on every 3rd pass attempt he makes?
While he can (and will) improve, I think Bourdon showed some nice things tonight. I liked how he handled Toews. There was one play in particular, where he angled Toews off toward the boards as he entered the zone then pinned him and forced him off the puck. Pretty good stuff. \He also made some quick plays to get the puck out of the zone and layed a couple of good hits. I think his offensive instincts look pretty good too.

I've been pretty impressed with Bourdon's game as he learns to adapt to the NHL level. He'll have his share of rookie mistakes and bad nights but I'm seeing things in him...his instincts, his two-way game, his strength and physicality that, if refined, could make for a solid top 4 d man.

fauxflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 02:26 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxflex View Post
While he can (and will) improve, I think Bourdon showed some nice things tonight. I liked how he handled Toews. There was one play in particular, where he angled Toews off toward the boards as he entered the zone then pinned him and forced him off the puck. Pretty good stuff. \He also made some quick plays to get the puck out of the zone and layed a couple of good hits. I think his offensive instincts look pretty good too.

I've been pretty impressed with Bourdon's game as he learns to adapt to the NHL level. He'll have his share of rookie mistakes and bad nights but I'm seeing things in him...his instincts, his two-way game, his strength and physicality that, if refined, could make for a solid top 4 d man.
Timonen is on record as saying he will stick around in this league and praised his hockey sense on D. I think that is a great endorsement.

He has his rookie moments but overall he has held his own. Remember in the 24/7 episode where he fought a Ranger...I think Prust he was saying in the locker room how strong Bourdon was...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 02:40 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmofan44 View Post
that couts ice time stat is just ludicris. i'm convinced that lavy doesn't know how to groom rookies. couts put up 2 his first game back and a point tonight with only 7 minutes. play the damn kid!!!!! whats wrong with you!?
The Flyers didn't take any penalties which cut into his TOI.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 06:20 AM
kimmofan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
i understand that but constantly saving him for the pk isn't doing him anygood. if he can put up points with 7 minutes on the 4th line imagine what he could do with 14 minutes. talbot played a fair share of minutes and he's one of our main penalty killers.

kimmofan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 06:23 AM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Just realised that... wow... when did we last not take a penalty??? I have a vague recollection that there might have been a game last year (???) that was the first time in an age it had happened... But I could be making that all up...

JoeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:02 AM
kimmofan44

the daily news says that bryzgolov has been struck ill and they wanted him to leave the facility as quickly as possible to avoid contaminting the rest of the team. so note to self, diarea of the mouth is not only a very real and diagnosable disease, it is also highly contagous but does not constitute a day off fron work(or the ice in this case)

kimmofan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:41 AM
Left Circle OneTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxflex View Post

i thought he was completely and perfectly fine before tonight but he broke down so much last night it was just terrible. I guess it was just a bad night in general seeing as how even Timonen played like crap at times.

Left Circle OneTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:54 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

I have no idea what Laviolette was thinking putting out the 4th line right after the 3rd Hawks goal. He has the last change, he sees they're putting Kane, Sharp, and Toews out -- why do we have 4 rookies on the ice? This isn't the first time that these 4 have been out for a goal together.

Decisions like that can cost you. He's got to be better.

On another note, Hartnell and Simmonds were awesome tonight. Really got us going.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:55 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
i thought he was completely and perfectly fine before tonight but he broke down so much last night it was just terrible. I guess it was just a bad night in general seeing as how even Timonen played like crap at times.
He played fine except for the turnover

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:15 AM
BillDineen

I thought JVR - Schenn - Simmonds was great. Hopefully they can keep it up. That leaves Read-Briere-Voracek as the residual when Jags returns and Talbot to the fourth line.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:24 AM
Left Circle OneTimer

Is moving Briere unthinkable? Hes my favorite player on the team aside from Pronger but I want to here thoughts on this. Sure he performs in the playoffs ans had a career high in goals last year but he still usually underperforms in the regular season and that always hurt our standings. (Home ice advantage goes a long way and we never seem to have it). If we could get something worth while for him?

Old
01-06-2012, 08:48 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Is moving Briere unthinkable? Hes my favorite player on the team aside from Pronger but I want to here thoughts on this. Sure he performs in the playoffs ans had a career high in goals last year but he still usually underperforms in the regular season and that always hurt our standings. (Home ice advantage goes a long way and we never seem to have it). If we could get something worth while for him?
Briere has a NMC, has family issues that probably preclude him from moving and has Couturier living with him. He is probably the most untouchable Flyer there is right now.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:50 AM
Left Circle OneTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Briere has a NMC, has family issues that probably preclude him from moving and has Couturier living with him. He is probably the most untouchable Flyer there is right now.
Oh right how did i forget. Something having to do with his Ex Wife/Girlfriend, i cant remember. Ugh wish he would produce more in the regular season at least.

Old
01-06-2012, 08:57 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
the daily news says that bryzgolov has been struck ill and they wanted him to leave the facility as quickly as possible to avoid contaminting the rest of the team. so note to self, diarea of the mouth is not only a very real and diagnosable disease, it is also highly contagous but does not constitute a day off fron work(or the ice in this case)
The "virus" is back?

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:05 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
i understand that but constantly saving him for the pk isn't doing him anygood. if he can put up points with 7 minutes on the 4th line imagine what he could do with 14 minutes. talbot played a fair share of minutes and he's one of our main penalty killers.
He also lost some time due to injury and might not have regained his conditioning yet.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:17 AM
LePalle

Quote:
Oh right how did i forget. Something having to do with his Ex Wife/Girlfriend, i cant remember. Ugh wish he would produce more in the regular season at least.
The dude can put up 60+ points, I don't think he's hurting us. You could say he slacks in the regular season, but I'd rather say he steps it up when it matters. It's not like he's a bum in the regular season. Unless he's on your fantasy team I can't think of why 60+ points isn't good enough production for someone who isn't playing with Giroux.

LePalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:37 AM
Left Circle OneTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton 22 View Post
The dude can put up 60+ points, I don't think he's hurting us. You could say he slacks in the regular season, but I'd rather say he steps it up when it matters. It's not like he's a bum in the regular season. Unless he's on your fantasy team I can't think of why 60+ points isn't good enough production for someone who isn't playing with Giroux.
His 60 points isn't as valuable when he puts up 5 points in 2 games and then go another 7-10 without a single point. If he was consistently providing offense and the 60 points was balanced out evenly through 82 games then i wouldn't complain but when he wants to have 1 point in 8 games as our second line center and then put up 4 against a team we are already blowing out, it isn't really helping us as much as the number leads us to believe.

Old
01-06-2012, 09:37 AM
bryzgalovsky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
If he and Bob do it routinly and the team keeps winning I will be a happy camper.
Will you be a "happy camper" come playoffs when we aren't scoring 5 goals a game because we're facing Lundqvist and Thomas, but we're still letting in 4 goals?

We'll see if you consider allowing 4 goals "stealing a game" when we don't win a single *****ing playoff game.

bryzgalovsky* is offline   Reply With Quote