HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's with the hatred of biron starting?

Old
01-06-2012, 02:28 AM
darko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
8-2-0.

And I see no hate.

Gets a fair bit of hate in GDTs.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 02:41 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Are people not aware of Rask and Schneider? Both are two of the best young goalies in the game and they're both backups.

Biron is an above average starting goalie and is an excellent backup. He is certainly not as good as his numbers make him out to be this season, I expect him to have a few stinkers. But I have no troubles of him playing 30 games this year so Henrik can get the rest to grind it out in 7 game playoff series.
Both those guys aren't true backups. Those teams basically roll with a 1 and 1a. At the end of the year both those guys will have had more games played than Biron. Biron is arguably the best pure backup in the league though.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 02:42 AM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Cup winning goaltenders since the lockout:

2011 - Thomas 57 regular season games played
2010 - Niemi 39 GP
2009 - Fleury 62 GP
2008 - Osgood 43 GP
2007 - Giguere 56 GP
2006 - Ward 28 GP

Lundqvist career GP:

05/06 - 53 (started season behind Weekes)
06/07 - 70
07/08 - 72
08/09 - 70
09/10 - 73
10/11 - 68

You need a fresh goaltender come playoff time, plain and simple. Marty gives Hank some much needed games off during the long grind of the season while also giving us a chance to win every night. It's a match made in heaven. Henrik playing 60 games is NOT a bad thing for this team.

Henrik is on pace to have his best statistical season. Yes, having a better team in front of him is part of that reason but so is the extra rest.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 06:47 AM
Occidentalist
Beernerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Wait, people on here hate Biron?

We have the best back-up goalie in the league who is an amazing teammate. And people hate him? Who the hell could hate him?
This (I'd say he's in the top 3 with Rask arguably being best backup in league). Biron is the best Rangers' backup since Healy. And I'd argue he is better than Healy was.

Occidentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 06:56 AM
EuroFlair
Nash 40g in 2014-15

vCash: 50
If anything we should love Marty, he know his role, when he's get to start he always does a solid job and he seems to be a great teammate.

I'm on a vacation so I'm a bit of when it's comes to hockey, but he won yesterday and we're facing the pens today. A game better suited for Hank. No reason for Hank to play back to back.

EuroFlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:06 AM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Are people not aware of Rask and Schneider? Both are two of the best young goalies in the game and they're both backups.

Biron is an above average starting goalie and is an excellent backup. He is certainly not as good as his numbers make him out to be this season, I expect him to have a few stinkers. But I have no troubles of him playing 30 games this year so Henrik can get the rest to grind it out in 7 game playoff series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
Rask and Schneider ring a bell?

Easily better than Biron, but he's up there. Love him, great backup and better than what we've had in the past.

I see no hate what so ever.
Lol..THANK YOU. I was wondering when someone was gonna remember about Rask and Schneider.

Rask has the best GAA in the league, and he and Schneider would probably be # 1's on their respective teams if they didn't have Thomas and Bobby Lu.

Biron, is a very good back up. Not the best, that's #1. #2, Nothing wrong with him starting on a back to back. You want Henke fresh and rested for the Pens tonight. And for anyone who was complaining about it, just remember how Henke basically didn't get a game off the rest of the year last year, when Biron went down in the beginning of March. Better to let him get as much rest as possible now, a.) for the stretch run, and b.) in case something happens to Biron again.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:24 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
He's EASILY the best backup in the league, and could be a starter on most teams in the NHL.

I would love to know who hates him, and why, because it's ridiculous to hate a guy like Biron who is nothing but a class act.
tuuka rask says hello.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:28 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
No way biron should be starting 4 out of 9 games that's a rotation not a number one and a back up. That's just crazy and that's what just happened.

I like him but let's not go to the well to many times here
With the stretch they had, it was needed. Two years ago, Lundqvist was exhausted by the end of the season, same last year. Biron keeps playing well, he deserves to get starts.

Anyone complaining about the Caps game is an idiot. Rangers were outplayed, Lundqvist would have lost that game, too.

Old
01-06-2012, 07:32 AM
drewcon40

Marty Biron is our current day Glenn Healy

drewcon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:37 AM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcon40 View Post
Marty Biron is our current day Glenn Healy
Biron hasn't been that bad.

Teams could have attempted a limp wrister 40 feet out and chances were high they'd beat Healy.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:46 AM
drewcon40

I actually meant it as a compliment. I liked the Richter/Healy combination. Is it not a coincidence that Healy's departure after the 96-97 season runs parallel with the long playoff drought following? (ok I was being sarcastic on that)

In all seriousness. I thought Healy was a very good backup and think Biron brings the same which is a positive.

Old
01-06-2012, 07:46 AM
TheDave1022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
No way biron should be starting 4 out of 9 games that's a rotation not a number one and a back up. That's just crazy and that's what just happened.

I like him but let's not go to the well to many times here
About midway through the season now. Biron has 10 games this season. Target is to have Lundqvist play 60. Seems like they are doing just fine with his amount of games. Lundqvist will play a lot more games down the stretch.

TheDave1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:51 AM
3Four3

Quote:
I actually meant it as a compliment. I liked the Richter/Healy combination. Is it not a coincidence that Healy's departure after the 96-97 season runs parallel with the long playoff drought following? (ok I was being sarcastic on that)

In all seriousness. I thought Healy was a very good backup and think Biron brings the same which is a positive.
I never felt good with Healy in net. Maybe in his early days with the Rangers he was okay, but man, there were times where I kept asking myself "what's the point of watching this?"

Old
01-06-2012, 08:30 AM
Levitate

I like Biron a lot but his style makes me nervous at times. He moves awkwardly in net and can play small. But when he's on, he manages to be in the right position for every save.

he was pretty good last night, can't fault him for the first goal, but I feel like the second one was definitely stoppable and it was a case of him making himself small in the net

But he's a solid backup making under $1 mill and a good guy to have around the team, the team still wins with him in net, and this could go a long long ways towards Lundqvist staying ready for the playoffs, so I like it.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:39 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
i don;t care who starts,

Biron last year and this year has shown that he deserves to start upwards of 15-20 games.

I have no issues seeing him between the pipes

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:41 AM
PoddubnyRules

Second goal tonight was one he should have had, but he also had a right to expect either Hagelin or Del Zotto to step up and pick up Santorelli, rather than let him walk in to 20 feet. Most NHL players given an uncontested shot at a partially screened goalie can pick corners and hit them.

That said, he's been great this year, and was great last year before getting hurt. Relatively young guy, who's been an NHL starter, but doesn't complain at all and is a great teammate. What else do you want?

PoddubnyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:43 AM
drewcon40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Weiss View Post
I never felt good with Healy in net. Maybe in his early days with the Rangers he was okay, but man, there were times where I kept asking myself "what's the point of watching this?"
Barry - what about the blue taped helmet shut out in Boston? Mods and fellow posters, I promise not to make this a Glenn Healy nostalgic thread.

Old
01-06-2012, 08:46 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

If Hank played we would have won 2-0.

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:51 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
If Hank played we would have won 2-0.
Yeah ok. The first goal is exactly the kind Hank gives up. It was a perfectly placed shot. Tonight's game is definitely more important, would rather have him fresh for tonight.

Old
01-06-2012, 08:53 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
i don;t care who starts,

Biron last year and this year has shown that he deserves to start upwards of 15-20 games.

I have no issues seeing him between the pipes
exactly. We have a back-up who is 8-2 only 2 games into January. There isn't a team in the NHL that wouldn't sign-up for that.

Old
01-06-2012, 09:08 AM
Sticky Fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
We're not used to seeing Hank sit so many games. I think that's it for me. I see Biron, and my first thought is "Is Hank that tired?"
No, but this year we've got a long walk ahead of us

Sticky Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:08 AM
3Four3

Quote:
Barry - what about the blue taped helmet shut out in Boston? Mods and fellow posters, I promise not to make this a Glenn Healy nostalgic thread.
One game does not make a goalie. How about that Winnipeg game in October? Wasn't a shutout but if Marty doesn't play out of his mind in that game, we easily get annihilated.

There's a reason why he had more losses than wins with the Rangers, and it's not because the team back then played apathetic.

Old
01-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Wait, people on here hate Biron?

We have the best back-up goalie in the league who is an amazing teammate. And people hate him? Who the hell could hate him?
Tuuka Rask is the best backup in the league.

But other than that, yes, I agree.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:31 AM
Crease

Not too many backups in the league I'd take over Biron. Rask and Schneider definitely, but other than that...hard to say.

Fact is, we've been spoiled by Lundqvist. When Hank gives up 2, it's a bad game by his standards. I'll take that from my backup any day of the week. And no, I don't care how they go in. Sometimes you get beat, some times you make a mistake. It all evens out in the end, so just keep the GAA low and we'll win games.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:39 AM
drewcon40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Weiss View Post
One game does not make a goalie. How about that Winnipeg game in October? Wasn't a shutout but if Marty doesn't play out of his mind in that game, we easily get annihilated.

There's a reason why he had more losses than wins with the Rangers, and it's not because the team back then played apathetic.
95 Playoff run for Healy.