Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland

Finns @ 2012 NHL Entry Draft

Old
12-13-2011, 09:38 PM
Password

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haite View Post
I believe it was not just "once", but a continuous habit. If I recall correct, he used his teammates' cellphones to order credits to a gambling website, and stuff like that. Getting kicked off the team and having to go to Lappeenranta (no offense ) might've given him a little push, though. After all, he's basically become the #1 goalie of SaiPa.
I guess he's not proud of it . But, is he a guy that use to cause trouble in the locker room? If so, I don't want him in our WJC team

Password is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2011, 11:15 AM
MBhockey1

As a guy who has seen Korpisalo a lot, I don't like him too much. Yes, he has a lot victories, but his rebound control is a work is progress. He has been improving later though in my eyes. I would Draft him based on potential, rather than what he's done so far in his career.

MBhockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2011, 12:25 PM
croAVSfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korkki View Post
Kojo should start working harder.

Interesting to see Ahlgren on the list. He was quite good last season on A-juniors but failed to take place in USHL. I am sure he will be at least a decent SM-liiga player in the future though I doubt his chances in NHL because of his little frame.

One dark horse outside the list could be Borna Rendulic. Are there any Croatian players drafted ever?
Croatian trained player no !

Bezina Goran was born in Croatia and played three games with Coyotes

croAVSfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 03:14 PM
Tormentor

Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 02:36 PM
Tormentor

Central Scouting's midterm rankings are usually released after the WJC's in early to mid January. Does anyone want to take a crack at ranking the Finns before the midterms are out? Do Juniorhockeyfollower or MBhockey1 have any thoughts? Maybe a top-10 or something?

Old
01-04-2012, 03:16 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Do we feel Pokka has raised his status in this event? I quite like what i saw.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 03:58 PM
edd1e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
Central Scouting's midterm rankings are usually released after the WJC's in early to mid January. Does anyone want to take a crack at ranking the Finns before the midterms are out? Do Juniorhockeyfollower or MBhockey1 have any thoughts? Maybe a top-10 or something?
1. Olli Määttä
2. Ville Pokka
3. Teuvo Teräväinen
4. Esa Lindell
5. Mikko Vainonen
6. Henri Ikonen

I stop here cause i dont have sufficient info.

edd1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 04:48 PM
FinHockey
KRH Master Race

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
That seems to be the case.

FinHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 06:55 PM
YARR123

Quote:
Definately. One of the best defensemen for Finland easily

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 07:19 AM
MBhockey1

Quote:
My list for players in Finland would be actually the same as edd1e has, of course without Määttä. As for the others, I think Rasmus Kulmala could rise from the first list. He has been consistent in every game I have seen from him so far this season. I have not seen Topi Nättinen playing much, but I have heard good things about him. He is probably not an NHL prospect at this point though.

MBhockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 02:21 PM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBhockey1 View Post
My list for players in Finland would be actually the same as edd1e has, of course without Määttä. As for the others, I think Rasmus Kulmala could rise from the first list. He has been consistent in every game I have seen from him so far this season. I have not seen Topi Nättinen playing much, but I have heard good things about him. He is probably not an NHL prospect at this point though.
Kulmala scored his first ever SM-liiga goal tonight in his 3rd game. Too bad he's so small, he's a skilled player. If he can keep playing in the men's league there should be a chance for him to get drafted.

Old
01-06-2012, 06:16 AM
Muuri

Do think the newest Mikko Lehtonen get drafted? He has 11 games with TPS this year and I think Ristolainen was healthy scratch at some point while Lehtonen was playing so atleast Pekka Virta seems to rate him high.

Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 06:58 AM
ChadS

Teräväinen had a goal and assist yesterday against Pelicans, played on a line with Janne Lahti and Tomi Mäki and was the 3rd star of the game. His goal came on the PP which was probably the first game in which he got regular PP-time. The kid is really quite a complete package and his skating helps him get out of trouble when he makes the occasional junior-mistakes. Still won't be a 1st rounder because he won't get this much icetime for the rest of the season, which sucks but there's really nothing he can do about it(Hahl, Pulkkinen not in the lineup right now).

ChadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:36 AM
MaV

Quote:
I don't really know what his status was before hand, but I was impressed with his play. Especially after first couple of games, he seemed to improve as the tournament went on.

MaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:55 AM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muuri View Post
Do think the newest Mikko Lehtonen get drafted? He has 11 games with TPS this year and I think Ristolainen was healthy scratch at some point while Lehtonen was playing so atleast Pekka Virta seems to rate him high.
I would think so. He's ridiculously mature for his age and plays a very solid game and also has some puck skills. The thing is though, that he doesn't really have a killer weapon, he is good on all areas but he doesn't have an area of his game where excells. He's a good skater but for his size it could be much better. He does have puck skills but again should be better for his size. I haven't seen him really use his shot much. I've seen a couple SM-liiga games, and he's played a very simple and effective game, short shifts with minimal risks and hardly any offense. In jr. A games I've seen he's been able to play very physical along the boards and infront of the net, and also play very well offensively then again that's jr. A.

I don't see why Virta would see him as a better alternative for Ristolainen, maybe he wanted to let Ristolainen get his batteries charged or something.

All in all his playing level is too high not to get drafted IMO. 4-5th round is my guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
Teräväinen had a goal and assist yesterday against Pelicans, played on a line with Janne Lahti and Tomi Mäki and was the 3rd star of the game. His goal came on the PP which was probably the first game in which he got regular PP-time. The kid is really quite a complete package and his skating helps him get out of trouble when he makes the occasional junior-mistakes. Still won't be a 1st rounder because he won't get this much icetime for the rest of the season, which sucks but there's really nothing he can do about it(Hahl, Pulkkinen not in the lineup right now).
Don't count him out just yet, there's are sources (that can be taken seriously) that have rated him in the 1st round. And I'm not sure how seriously a mr. Button can be taken but he's rated him in the top-15 for a while now, and said that he has a chance to climb even higher if he keeps getting better like he has. Top-15 is a stretch, but why should it be impossible for Teräväinen to crack the top-30? He's an insanely good skater, has great instincts, vision, puck skills, and while he's still slight he doesn't shy away from contact. And while he's smallish (5'11 165lbs) apparently he's still growing and obviously will gain weight. All these are attributes that you need to have to become a modern top-6 winger in the NHL, and if all turns out right, he has a chance to make it. What more do you think he should have, or what does he lack in your opinion that 1st round is out of the question?

He doesn't necessarily need to play the whole season in the men's team to be considered a 1st rounder. Scouts know that Jokerit is a very deep team and cracking that roster is very hard. If you look at Ruuttu and MaG who were taken in the 2nd last year, Teräväinen is much better now than those guys were a year ago.

Last edited by YARR123: 01-06-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old
01-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Needles

Quote:
In newest Urheilulehti they interviewed one of the analysists who make those fantasy drafts at nhl.com. Mostly they talked about Määttä and Teräväinen. He had Teräväinen ranked 28th, but said that many scouts had him ranked higher than that. Talented kids always drop to the second round, but I expect Teräväinen to be drafted somewhere around 20-30.

Needles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:30 AM
RKC

Quote:
Not necessarily. For example Erik Karlsson played 7 games for Frölunda's 1st team in his draft year and was selected 15th, and look where he's now. Also Anton Gustafsson played only 1 game and he went 21st, last season Oscar Klefbom played 17 games and was picked 21st. Teräväinen has already played 17 games and I don't see any reason why he wouldn't keep playing in the SM-liiga especially if Jokerit continues to struggle with injuries. It's not about how many games you play with men in your draft year, it's about what you can show in those games.

RKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 12:48 PM
ChadS

Ok, I admit I was underestimating him a bit because I watch him a lot and am a bit biased. He does look great and I hope he stays with Jokerit for as many games as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
And while he's smallish (5'11 165lbs) apparently he's still growing and obviously will gain weight.
He's listed at 5'11/185 by Jokerit.com.

Old
01-06-2012, 01:20 PM
RKC

Quote:

Finhockey has him at 179/73, Eliteprospects 180/75. I wouldn't put too much stock on those numbers on Jokerit.com.

Old
01-06-2012, 02:08 PM
ChadS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC View Post
Finhockey has him at 179/73, Eliteprospects 180/75. I wouldn't put too much stock on those numbers on Jokerit.com.
I actually wouldn't put much stock on the two others. Finhockey's numbers are often quite old and I have no idea where eliteprospects get theirs from. Sm-liiga.fi has the same numbers as Jokerit's website, who updated theirs at the beginning of the season.

Old
01-06-2012, 02:11 PM
YARR123

Quote:
Ok, I admit I was underestimating him a bit because I watch him a lot and am a bit biased. He does look great and I hope he stays with Jokerit for as many games as possible.

the 185 I think is very doubtful, my guess is that the 185 (84kg) is taken from sm-liiga.fi
which most likely a typo and should say 74kg. I doubt he has created some 15 kg of mass in one year

Old
01-10-2012, 04:43 PM
thomast

1. Teräväinen
2. Määttä
3. Pokka
4. Lindell
5. Vainonen

I ranked these players potential-wise Teräväinen might not be highest drafted Finn but i honestly think that Teräväinen will be the best player in the future.

thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 07:08 AM
croAVSfan*

Korkki I sent you PM

croAVSfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Tormentor

CS Midterm rankings

Olli Määttä is 6th among North American Skaters

Finns among European skaters:
5 - D - Ville Pokka (Kärpät)
7 - F - Teuvo Teräväinen (Jokerit)
10 - D - Mikko Vainonen (HIFK)
11 - D - Esa Lindell (Jokerit)
19 - F - Henri Ikonen (KalPa)
24 - D - Niklas Tikkinen (Blues)
25 - D - Mikko Lehtonen (TPS)
26 - F - Miro Aaltonen (Blues)
32 - F - Joonas Huovinen (Sport)
38 - F - Rasmus Kulmala (TPS)
43 - F - Joel Mustonen (Skellefteå)
44 - D - Henri Auvinen (JYP)
53 - D - Otso Rantakari (Jokerit)
54 - D - Petteri Lindbohm (Jokerit)
60 - F - Samu Markkula (JYP)
63 - F - Toni Kallela (KalPa)
90 - F - Markus Hännikäinen (Jokerit)
100 - F - Joni Nikko (Lukko)
111 - F - Nico Friman (HIFK)
118 - F - Sami Salminen (Jokerit)
121 - F - Topi Nättinen (JYP)
123 - F - Henrik Haapala (Tappara)

Finns among European goalies:
3 - GK - Joonas Korpisalo (Jokerit)
5 - GK - Jean Auren (Sport)
7 - GK - Richard Ullberg (SaiPa)

Old
01-11-2012, 10:29 AM
RKC

Quote:
Olli Määttä is 6th among North American Skaters

Finns among European skaters:
5 - D - Ville Pokka (Kärpät)
7 - F - Teuvo Teräväinen (Jokerit)
10 - D - Mikko Vainonen (HIFK)
11 - D - Esa Lindell (Jokerit)
19 - F - Henri Ikonen (KalPa)
24 - D - Niklas Tikkinen (Blues)
25 - D - Mikko Lehtonen (TPS)
26 - F - Miro Aaltonen (Blues)
32 - F - Joonas Huovinen (Sport)
38 - F - Rasmus Kulmala (TPS)
43 - F - Joel Mustonen (Skellefteå)
44 - D - Henri Auvinen (JYP)
53 - D - Otso Rantakari (Jokerit)
54 - D - Petteri Lindbohm (Jokerit)
60 - F - Samu Markkula (JYP)
63 - F - Toni Kallela (KalPa)
90 - F - Markus Hännikäinen (Jokerit)
100 - F - Joni Nikko (Lukko)
111 - F - Nico Friman (HIFK)
118 - F - Sami Salminen (Jokerit)
121 - F - Topi Nättinen (JYP)
123 - F - Henrik Haapala (Tappara)

Finns among European goalies:
3 - GK - Joonas Korpisalo (Jokerit)
5 - GK - Jean Auren (Sport)
7 - GK - Richard Ullberg (SaiPa)
Who do you think gets drafted? Lehtonen and everyone above and Korpisalo (possibly Ullberg) from goalies?