HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blum sent down!

Old
01-06-2012, 01:46 AM
theoneandonly

vCash: 500
Blum sent down!

After last nights game I saw Jonathon Blum leaving the arena with his gear. Looks like he is heading down to Milwaukee. Link to come soon.

theoneandonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 02:32 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

WTF? Cuz we did so good without him I guess

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:03 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Or maybe he's been traded??

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:12 AM
roseyc

he was sent to Milw....along with Lindbach

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:16 AM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
Confirmed by the twitterati this morning

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Not surprising. With ellis playing at a high level and weber coming back, pretty easy choice. Wish it was hillen, not blum being sent down. We have to get a big, crease clearing D man along with a forward who can generate his own offense to be successful this postseason.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:24 AM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
Not surprising. With ellis playing at a high level and weber coming back, pretty easy choice. Wish it was hillen, not blum being sent down. We have to get a big, crease clearing D man along with a forward who can generate his own offense to be successful this postseason.
Hillen needs to go ....he has only midly progressed but not enough. We do need a crease clearing defenseman badly. It showed last night in the game. The only one that would hit anyone was Tootoo and McGratten. Dallas just skating around like it was a high school skating parting....

Old
01-06-2012, 10:33 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Also being "showcased" along with Lindy?

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:37 AM
Prederator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
Hillen needs to go ....he has only midly progressed but not enough. We do need a crease clearing defenseman badly. It showed last night in the game. The only one that would hit anyone was Tootoo and McGratten. Dallas just skating around like it was a high school skating parting....
For you Hillen-detractors. Trotz does not share your opinion. All he has done, as an undrafted free agent, is beat out the high draft picks of Ekholm, Blum, Ellis and Laakso. He baby sits every newbie they bring up from the farm and helps their development. His stats are very good considering his limited playing time and he is a steadying force on that 3rd pairing. I think the Preds are very happy with this signing. Read the link.

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/conten...dators-defense

Last edited by Prederator: 01-06-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Prederator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prederator View Post
For you Hillen-haters. Trotz does not share your opinion. All he has done, as an undrafted free agent, is beat out the high draft picks of Ekholm, Blum, Ellis and Laakso. He baby sits every newbie they bring up from the farm and helps their development. His stats are very good considering his limited playing time and he is a steadying force on that 3rd pairing. I think the Preds are very happy with this signing. Read the link.

And trotz seems to think Klein is the next Pronger. Though I have a lot of respect for Trotz, I disagree with a lot of his methods. We sorely miss SOB and if anyone tries to convince me Hillen is better than SOB, I would suggest they take the rose colored glasses off

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:46 AM
roseyc

of course a vet is more consistent than a rookie....but that doesn't make him a better player....his decision at the blue line last night caused an odd man break and a goal. It's been half a year and were trying to find the right pairing for him...

Old
01-06-2012, 10:59 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
For you Hillen-detractors. Trotz does not share your opinion. All he has done, as an undrafted free agent, is beat out the high draft picks of Ekholm, Blum, Ellis and Laakso. He baby sits every newbie they bring up from the farm and helps their development. His stats are very good considering his limited playing time and he is a steadying force on that 3rd pairing. I think the Preds are very happy with this signing. Read the link.

Trotz also had an opinion that the PP was fine the last few years. I take coach speak with a grain of salt. This is also the same coach that when down 2 goals last night was playing Smithson and had Smith, Hornqvist and Halischuk riding the pine. He's also the same guy that benched Blum after he had two games with a goal apiece and seemed to be finding his game.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:12 AM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Trotz also had an opinion that the PP was fine the last few years. I take coach speak with a grain of salt. This is also the same coach that when down 2 goals last night was playing Smithson and had Smith, Hornqvist and Halischuk riding the pine. He's also the same guy that benched Blum after he had two games with a goal apiece and seemed to be finding his game.
Plus Trotz is a company man and if Poile signs a player Trotz backs him up and if Poile trades him we didn't need him....etc ...the only player they ever disagreed upon was I think Vasichek (not sure of the spelling or the player) but it was in that era

Old
01-06-2012, 11:15 AM
Prederator

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
As far as Blum is concerned, I think some of these high defensive draft picks who have been high profile players in the Juniors don't develop their NHL defensive games until they have been in the league a few years. Blum is now -14 in 33 games and everyone complains about his defense. I think he will be a very good defenseman in the years to come in the NHL, but for now he need to hone his defensive skills and become more consistent. The NHL is not a developmental league, it is a performance league.

Consistency is what you need on the 3rd pairing. Blum doesn't offer that.

Old
01-06-2012, 11:17 AM
roseyc

Quote:
As far as Blum is concerned, I think some of these high defensive draft picks who have been high profile players in the Juniors don't develop their NHL defensive games until they have been in the league a few years. Blum is now -14 in 33 games and everyone complains about his defense. I think he will be a very good defenseman in the years to come in the NHL, but for now he need to hone his defensive skills and become more consistent. The NHL is not a developmental league, it is a performance league.

Consistency is what you need on the 3rd pairing. Blum doesn't offer that.
Suter went through the same thing. Even though there is no guarantee Blum will be ok if not traded for something bigger

Old
01-06-2012, 11:24 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

I would think Blum being sent down lowers his trade value. If he was being showcased he should be playing here.

Old
01-06-2012, 11:36 AM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I would think Blum being sent down lowers his trade value. If he was being showcased he should be playing here.
I doubt it... his value is his potential... this happens to all players

Old
01-06-2012, 11:40 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

There are a couple of reasons I think Blum was sent down instead of Hillen. First, Hillen is 25 years old with more than one NHL season under his belt so he is exposed to waivers. I know a lot of you guys wouldn't care one way or another about that, but the fact is he is a third pairing defenseman and we can't afford to lose blueliners right now. That goes into the second reason. Blum will benefit more from playing top pairing minutes in Milwaukee than he will from playing bottom pairing minutes with Bouillon in Nashville. Hillen/Bouillon/Ellis can be protected (Ellis is probably the only one of the three that has not had a bunch of glaring mistakes, but he is also the only one of the three who has played fewer than five games).

Sending Blum down allows him to continue to progress his game with a lot of minutes against the top lines in the AHL rather than riding the bench for 50 out of 60 minutes each night in Nashville against lower level talent. The times he would see top talent here he is being exposed by the other team, and mistakes will happen. I think right now it's important for him to regain his confidence rather than letting him remain in Nashville where he has been severely lacking in both confidence and consistency.

Last edited by TMI: 01-06-2012 at 12:04 PM.
TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:52 AM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Sending Blum down allows him to continue to progress his game with a lot of minutes against the top lines in the AHL rather than riding the bench for 50 out of 60 minutes each night in Nashville against lower level talent. The times he would see top talent here he is being exposed by the other team, and mistakes will happen. I think right now it's important for him to regain his confidence rather than it is for him to remain in Nashville where he has been severely lacking in both confidence and consistency.
I don't think anyone could say it better.

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 12:04 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeyh View Post
I don't think anyone could say it better.
Haha well I guess I could have said it better had I not made some kind of ridiculous grammatical error in the last sentence (that I have now corrected in my post)

Old
01-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Lixxiq
@Lixxiq

So does this move mean, with Weber back, that Ryan Ellis now will be a Healthy Scratch 4 out of 5 times?

Lixxiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 02:36 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Probably. Josi will have to give Trots a reason be sat, and outside of last night he hasn't done that.

Old
01-06-2012, 03:29 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Z View Post
So does this move mean, with Weber back, that Ryan Ellis now will be a Healthy Scratch 4 out of 5 times?
until he's traded

Old
01-06-2012, 04:45 PM
Prederator

If they play Ellis over anybody else it will be to showcase him for a trade. In a tight game they will go with the 6 D they had last night.

I also wonder if Weber is 100%. He looked pretty shaky last night. Maybe Ellis is still up as insurance.

Old
01-07-2012, 12:21 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I think it's a waste to have Ellis up just to sit in the pressbox

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote