HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winter Classic / HBO 24/7 Part 2

Old
01-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Victory*
We're Still In It

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveSave35 View Post
I thought it was Laviolette too. Which was surprising to me... because other than that, I thought he came off pretty likeable in the series.
It was Tortorella, the voice really gives it away. The Flyers actually wanted to shake which is why they were standing there, and then skated off after the Rangers left.

Victory* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:32 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

I have a question for the mods. Maybe some of you guys can help me out as well.

Does HF Boards serve unlimited Orange Juice?

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:41 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
I also thought the Flyers standing around talking about celebrations and all that was pretty high school kinda crap.
No doubt the youth (immaturity) of many of their roster players will work against them in the post-season.... By the time those players are more experienced and matured, older players like Timmonen/Pronger/Jagr/maybe Hartnell will have moved on (in Pronger's case, probably retired).... Unless the Flyers can make some key UFA acquisitions over the coming years, they will not be as strong of a team as they are now given the current composition of their roster.

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:43 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Motel 6 doesn't serve unlimited OJ. The Whale don't stay in 5 star hotels. Avery makes $4M and he is worried about free OJ.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:54 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

It sounded like that were going to do the Anisimov shot gun celebration simultaneously.

One Flyer was like 'I got number 62', another flyer had Lundqvist and one had another Ranger, Boyle I think.

Did they not factor in, that they would get called for unsportsmanlike penalty?

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:56 AM
MSG the place to be*

What do we think of Anisimov after this show? The ref was a total dick to him after he reloaded his weapon. "Do you understand me". Yes referee, it's possible that a foreign player understands English. Then you can see the Flyers were totally trying to intimidate him.

I give Anisimov props for fitting into the Rangers the way he has. He's slowly making a name for himself, perhaps mostly for the celebration.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:57 AM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post

They woudn't have, not with the refs calling that game.

turcotte8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:06 AM
Occidentalist
Beernerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Motel 6 doesn't serve unlimited OJ. The Whale don't stay in 5 star hotels. Avery makes $4M and he is worried about free OJ.
I laughed though at the question, "Is the orange juice unlimited?"

What the hell if it was, Sean? Does that mean you're going to drink your body weight in orange juice? Like if the waitress said yes, Avery was going to immediately get up, run to the kitchen, and start chugging every half-gallon they had in stock.

Occidentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:07 AM
Occidentalist
Beernerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
It sounded like that were going to do the Anisimov shot gun celebration simultaneously.

One Flyer was like 'I got number 62', another flyer had Lundqvist and one had another Ranger, Boyle I think.

The way I interpreted it was that someone was going to do the Anisimov celebration and they knew it would probably lead to a fight. I thought they were all picking out Rangers players, by number, so that they could each grab a man when the brawl ensued.

Old
01-06-2012, 11:10 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occidentalist View Post
The way I interpreted it was that someone was going to do the Anisimov celebration and they knew it would probably lead to a fight. I thought they were all picking out Rangers players, by number, so that they could each grab a man when the brawl ensued.
Yes my thoughts as well... That's why they were asking one another who was going to take Big Boy Boyle!

Old
01-06-2012, 11:19 AM
IBleedNYRBlue

A lot of respect for some Flyers like Giroux and Simmonds. Still hate Hartnell, but I guess he seems like a hardworking player and teammate.

Love our guys. Great series.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:23 AM
Lady Vengeance
FTTW

The quote posted earlier was slightly off:

Quote:
ďNever get caught telling a hockey player itís just a game. Never get caught trying to explain to him all the things in the world that matter so much more. His mind might well acknowledge the truth to your point, but his soul would be powerless to accept it, considering the immensity of what he gives to the sport, and the immeasurability of all it offers in return. Nothing ever feels as perfect as a moment of flawlessness on the ice. No bond as strong as one that compels brothers to bleed for one another. Not many leaders are this versed in the craft of motivation. Not many pursuits can evoke such visions of brilliance. This is why it hurts so much when skill falls short of what the will desires. This is why itís so unforgettable when absolute passion yields ultimate reward. And thatís all still just the start of what the game can do to you. The stakes rise as their season continues from here. While you watch from a distance, remember what was validated up close: hockey may in fact be just a game, but itís also who they are.Ē

Lady Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Grumpy Humphrey

vCash: 50
I guess this show had in one aspect the exact opposite effect on me as some people. I went in with no strong feelings one way or another about Giroux, and by the end, I absolutely hate him. Seems smug and self important, and I still can't get past that little head fake he did at Fedotenko to try to make him flinch. Only a total punk does that sort of thing, especially since he had no intention of backing it up.

Grumpy Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:35 AM
IBleedNYRBlue

Also surprised Dolan even let HBO have 2 seconds of him on the show.

He probably didn't even realize the Rangers were in 1st. Now he's licking his chops for new ticket prices for next season.

Old
01-06-2012, 11:37 AM
ThisYearsModel

Excellent series and finale. Best part was all the sad Flyer faces after having lost the game. I came out of this still liking Jagr....maybe even more than before. Prust with his "you have very pretty eyes" to Avery was hysterical.

ThisYearsModel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:38 AM
Occidentalist
Beernerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Yes my thoughts as well... That's why they were asking one another who was going to take Big Boy Boyle!
Which is interesting because even we know Boyle can't fight. Biggest guy on the team and he turtles.

What's everyone's "Respect" list? Short list of players on both teams that you've gained/lost respect for in order of amount of respect gained/lost?

Just to be clear, this is based on 24/7, not play on the ice. My respect for Girardi has increased tenfold but I realized it's solely because of his actions on the ice, not anything revealed by 24/7. In addition, I already had utmost respect for Callahan, Lundqvist (I already knew he was an all-time all-universe goalie), et al so they were left off this list.

Here's mine:

Gained:
  • Tortorella - he is everything I think a coach should be.
  • Rupp - Fearless. Wise. A grounding presence in the locker room. I get the impression he wouldn't let anyones' ego in the locker room get bigger than the team.
  • Jagr - Everything you want your legends to be. Calm, humble, leads by example, never talks smack but lets his play speak for him. Good and gentle nature.
  • Briere - small in stature, big in heart. Looks like a goober. Single dad. Plays father figure to young guys.
  • Bryzgalov - I have nothing but respect for an intelligent guy who doesn't try to hide or apologize for who he is. His responses to stupid reporter questions are hilarious, full of humility, and heartfelt. I actually can't help but think though, in regards to sports, a guy like that who thinks that deep is his own worst enemy. The ability to critically and truthfully analyze yourself is a trait that I think is good but can lead to damaging thoughts when you over indulge it.
  • Anisimov
  • Simmonds

Respect lost:
  • Hartnell - total jerk. Carrot Top On Ice. The perfect example of why is when he vilified Rupp for the Jagr salute, called him classless, and then crosschecks I think it was McDonagh in the back of the head behind the net after the Winter Classic is over.
  • Giroux - I had a hard time deciding this. It was because I realized I like Giroux so much as a player. But the overall impression I got from 24/7 was that he's much more smug and egotistical than I thought. So same amount of respect for him on ice, loss of respect for him off the ice.
  • Avery - Dude comes across as so wrapped up in himself it's hard to tell where his mouth begins and his butthole ends. In every scene he's in he seems awkward and somehow socially removed from the rest of the Rangers. Even breakfast with Prust - he had his shades on, seemed to be performing for the camera. Definitely takes himself too seriously.

Last edited by Occidentalist: 01-06-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old
01-06-2012, 11:47 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
[*]Avery - Dude comes across as so wrapped up in himself it's hard to tell where his mouth begins and his butthole ends. In every scene he's in he seems awkward and somehow socially removed from the rest of the Rangers. Even breakfast with Prust - he had his shades on, seemed to be performing for the camera. Definitely takes himself too seriously. [/LIST]
You nailed it here, and its the main reason hes not on the team anymore.

The team is supposed to deal with that sort of stuff just because "hes better than Erik Christensen???!"

Torts also nailed it when they interviewed him on the plane about the demotion.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:48 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Who was the individual in the locker room with Sather immediately after the win at the Winter Classic? Did not immediately recognize him... He said something.

Old
01-06-2012, 11:49 AM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Who was the individual in the locker room with Sather immediately after the win at the Winter Classic? Did not immediately recognize him... He said something.
The great James Dolan.

Old
01-06-2012, 11:50 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Dolan? I think he said "I'm extremely proud of our hockey club today."

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:53 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Which is interesting because even we know Boyle can't fight. Biggest guy on the team and he turtles.
To be honest I think Boyle has done alright in his limited fighting appearances. It's not like he has fought anyone small or inexperienced and lost....

The ones I remember:

Shelley
Sestito
Walker
Konopka
Pekham
Coburn
Zubrus
A. Stewart

Is he as technically sounds as say, Prust? No way. But he fights some good fighters considering he is not really that type of player. He is still 6'7 250lbs.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 11:58 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Maybe we're being manipulated by the wonderful editing HBO did, but, you see the contrast between the two teams. The Rangers reveal themselves to be a very mature club considering their youthful status, and with Torts, it was about remembering "to play our game, and what we need to do to be successful". Whereas, Laviolette sometimes comes off as the cliched, "go kick some ass" type of coach, and you didn't get the sense of unity from the Flyers that you did from the Rangers. Again, it could be the story HBO wanted to tell, but, the discussion about the "Ansimov salute" sort highlighted the difference between the two teams in my mind. It's very easy as a Ranger fan, after watching this series, to come away with a very high opinion of this team, from the head coach right on down.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Occidentalist
Beernerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
To be honest I think Boyle has done alright in his limited fighting appearances. It's not like he has fought anyone small or inexperienced and lost....

Is he as technically sounds as say, Prust? No way. But he fights some good fighters considering he is not really that type of player. He is still 6'7 250lbs.
Yeah, perhaps I overexaggerated a bit. It just drives me nuts - with Boyle's size he should be dictating the action on the ice. He should be regularly steamrolling people (see his hit on Bourdon in the Winter Classic) and using that big body to cause so much more havoc around the net.

Old
01-06-2012, 12:02 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I enjoyed Schoenfeld's joke during the video review session at the hotel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
The great James Dolan.
Thanks.

Old
01-06-2012, 12:08 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Yeah, perhaps I overexaggerated a bit. It just drives me nuts - with Boyle's size he should be dictating the action on the ice. He should be regularly steamrolling people (see his hit on Bourdon in the Winter Classic) and using that big body to cause so much more havoc around the net.
Yeah he is most of the time though. It's not that easy to knock a NHL player off their skates with a hit. I would say he has been physical this season, and I like the fact that he drops the gloves every now and then. His defensive play is superb and when his offense comes around, and it will, I think he will get to 20-25 points which is good for a 4th/3rd line center.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote