HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winnipeg Jets - Free Agents, Trades, Rumors, Speculation-It all goes here; Part V

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl thrasher344 View Post
So in other words...... he's a more offensives Dustin Brown.
Brown does not run his mouth and then not back up his words. Brown does not talk. There is not doubting Brown has his faults (he goes down pretty easy at times, although not as bad as he rep would suggest and he does not fight), but at least he plays physical, does not talk without backing it up, is a leader, plays hard but very very clean (which is one thing I forgot about Fairy, he consistently among league leaders in minor penalties, all that does is put your team down).

Old
01-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
(which is one thing I forgot about Fairy, he consistently among league leaders in minor penalties, all that does is put your team down).
In fairness, you are also talking about a 26 year old player that has scored 400 regular season points and is a +30 for his career, a player that won both the Hart & Rocket Richard trophies, and has an additional 43 playoff points.

Last edited by Gump Hasek: 01-05-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old
01-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Zhamnov10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Can't recall who it was but someone on our Jets board absolutely hates Corey Perry. I conversely love Corey Perry. He is a huge guy that can skate like the wind and snipe, is a dink and as such is difficult to play against but is also a guy you'd love as a teammate, and he will even throw hands if required. I would lose it with joy if he ever became a Jet; it is nice to dream.

If you think Perry skates like the wind you really need to watch him more.Before he was drafted they were not even sure if he would be able to play in the NHL because of his skating He has improved it but he is by no means fleet of foot.But saying that He is exactly the type of player we need right now.

Old
01-05-2012, 01:06 PM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Interview with GM Cheveldayoff from this morning...

http://www.fan590.com/media.jsp?cont...05_100326_3404
Interesting...

Spoke about possibly adding pieces at the deadline if it helped the team, BUT, said they would not mortgage the future to do it.

Old
01-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Interesting...

Spoke about possibly adding pieces at the deadline if it helped the team, BUT, said they would not mortgage the future to do it.
I trust this management group, wholeheartedly. I kind of touched on this yesterday, in that these guys are all about drafting and developing, that's their bread and butter, it's where they came from, it's what they know best. I feel strongly saying they will not sell off too many future assets at the expense of a potential playoff appearance this season, but I do believe they will be open to improving the team.

It's going to be an interesting couple months.

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff
Old
01-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I trust this management group, wholeheartedly. I kind of touched on this yesterday, in that these guys are all about drafting and developing, that's their bread and butter, it's where they came from, it's what they know best. I feel strongly saying they will not sell off too many future assets at the expense of a potential playoff appearance this season, but I do believe they will be open to improving the team.

It's going to be an interesting couple months.
Very true but I think the number one thing the org. is looking for right now is the team to show them that grabbing a couple players now makes sense. They have to win on the road to do that.

01-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Very true but I think the number one thing the org. is looking for right now is the team to show them that grabbing a couple players now makes sense. They have to win on the road to do that.
Most certainly.

We are a pretty brutal 5-9-4 on the road to date. You know, to play a bit of coulda, woulda, shoulda, if we were even just 7-7-4 on the road instead of our 5-9-4, we could easily be sitting at 21-13-5, which would be a total of 47 points. That little bit of an improvement alone on the road would make us tied for the division lead with Florida, and right in the mix with Pittsburgh and Philly.

Pretty crazy when you think about it.

Old
01-05-2012, 11:41 PM
JetsHomer

The way I see it, the Jets need a true #1 center more than anything. Sure, we got some centers right now, but it seems to me that everyone is playing a line above where they should be. Little is a great player, but a #1? No, I'd say he'd be a great great #2 center. Move Antro down to the third line, and with his size he's an unreal #3 center. Schiefele could develop into that #1 man, but I think that he's more likely to end up a Little type player, ie perfect for the second line. With Cormier looking awesome on faceoffs he's perfect for the 4th line with his size and physical presence.

The Jets are in trouble with finding this #1 center though, as it's gonna be hard to get one in a trade. Lets be honest, any that are traded here (Ie Getzlaf) are gonna come at an overpayment and have a high chance of walking at the end of their contract. Unless the Jets can get one with a long contract (like the Mike Richards trade, but this seems unlikely) they are gonna have to develop one through the draft.

The Jets are in a unique place where, as much as I hate to say it, we are an undesirable market, and it will be hard to attract players through FA, and hard to sign traded players to extensions. So I don't see the Jets current little slump as bad, maybe we can pick up that true #1 center in the draft this year. Or maybe Schief will be one, but until that point, I don't see the Jets doing much, especially in the conference they'll find themselves in next year.

Old
01-06-2012, 01:59 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

If we make the playoffs this year, we might not go far but at least it will give upcoming UFAs an idea of what sort of direction the Jets are going. Last year, not too many players would have wanted to play here because they didn't know anything about the organization, the owners, the city, the direction of the team, the fans, etc. We basically took what we could get (ie. Wellwood after weeks of consideration, Jones because we overpaid, Meech because he was a Winnipegger and MacLean/Miettinen off waivers).

Next year, I hope we can pull of a Florida-style July 1st and sign a couple of players (without paying much). Some interesting UFAs to hit the market will be:

Andrei Kostitsyn (26)
Ales Hemsky (28)
Jordin Tootoo (28) - hometowner
Tuomo Ruutu (28)
Tim Gleason (28) - the perfect D partner for Bogosian IMO
Paul Gaustad (29)
Dustin Penner (29) - another hometowner
Jarret Stoll (29)

Old
01-06-2012, 02:03 AM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
If we make the playoffs this year, we might not go far but at least it will give upcoming UFAs an idea of what sort of direction the Jets are going. Last year, not too many players would have wanted to play here because they didn't know anything about the organization, the owners, the city, the direction of the team, the fans, etc. We basically took what we could get (ie. Wellwood after weeks of consideration, Jones because we overpaid, Meech because he was a Winnipegger and MacLean/Miettinen off waivers).

Next year, I hope we can pull of a Florida-style July 1st and sign a couple of players (without paying much). Some interesting UFAs to hit the market will be:

Andrei Kostitsyn (26)
Ales Hemsky (28)
Jordin Tootoo (28) - hometowner
Tuomo Ruutu (28)
Tim Gleason (28) - the perfect D partner for Bogosian IMO
Paul Gaustad (29)
Dustin Penner (29) - another hometowner
Jarret Stoll (29)
I think a lot of these guys will be traded and then signed before they hit the market. Hemsky and Gleason are both on struggaling teams that are looking to pick up help, and I see Gleason being a VERY hot commodity at the trade deadline.

Old
01-06-2012, 02:17 AM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

Ryan and Selanne to Winnipeg, then Anaheim should trade Koivu to Minnesota for Healtey

Ryan and Selanne for iunno, but Ryan is most likely to go to Winnipeg I hear

Old
01-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
The Jets are in a unique place where, as much as I hate to say it, we are an undesirable market, and it will be hard to attract players through FA, and hard to sign traded players to extensions. So I don't see the Jets current little slump as bad, maybe we can pick up that true #1 center in the draft this year. Or maybe Schief will be one, but until that point, I don't see the Jets doing much, especially in the conference they'll find themselves in next year.
I'm not so sure about this. I've been thinking a lot about it. I think Winnipeg will be a very polarizing place to call home for players. Either you love the small town feel and crazy crowds or you don't. IMO, that's much better than being a middle-of-the-road city in every respect. I get the impression that many of the visiting players have been in awe of the atmosphere at the MTS Centre and I assume at least some would love to play in that 42 times per year. It will be interesting to see how July 1st goes.

Old
01-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
I'm sorry but I find this to be one of the most overstated and untrue memes on HF Boards.

Players will go anywhere if A> The franchise is a winner, and B> The org. treats the players respectfully.

The players put a lot less emphasis on the actual location than some make out. Every player has his preferences: Good place to raise kids, nice weather, party town, etc. but at the end of the day, they are here half a year, and half of that time they are on the road. They get plenty of exposure to all the kinds of things they like throughout the year.

Most NHL'ers want to play hockey and win. That is the driving force and passion that has got them into the sport's best league (that and money). The few guys who put an emphasis on weather or locale over winning are the kinds of guys you don't want on your team anyway.

True North has already shown they treat their players top notch. Now they have to continue to build a well run org, and the winning and players will follow.

Old
01-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Players still go to Detroit and Buffalo, and no offense, but those aren't exactly the prettiest cities to choose from in the NHL.

Like Jet said, you build a winning culture and treat the players the right way, and they will come.

Old
01-06-2012, 11:56 AM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

Quote:
I'm sorry but I find this to be one of the most overstated and untrue memes on HF Boards.

Players will go anywhere if A> The franchise is a winner, and B> The org. treats the players respectfully.

The players put a lot less emphasis on the actual location than some make out. Every player has his preferences: Good place to raise kids, nice weather, party town, etc. but at the end of the day, they are here half a year, and half of that time they are on the road. They get plenty of exposure to all the kinds of things they like throughout the year.

Most NHL'ers want to play hockey and win. That is the driving force and passion that has got them into the sport's best league (that and money). The few guys who put an emphasis on weather or locale over winning are the kinds of guys you don't want on your team anyway.

True North has already shown they treat their players top notch. Now they have to continue to build a well run org, and the winning and players will follow.
If I was 25 I would not pick Winnipeg to play hockey, but I also wouldn't pick Edmonton, Ottawa, Buffalo, Columbus, Nashville ......

Winnipeg or NYC? NYC easy choice. Have you need to NYC? Awesome city. Montreal? Awesome city. Vancouver is aight too, Chicago as well. After that they all start to become the same really. Winnipeg has always been about perception. We aren't the Winnipeg of old. If this city can maintain the crowds and atmosphere and start winning, we'll be fine. Not everyone can play in those prime markets.

EDIT: I could always move to Toronto where everything is the best.

Last edited by supahdupah: 01-06-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old
01-06-2012, 12:05 PM
Aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stej View Post
I'm not so sure about this. I've been thinking a lot about it. I think Winnipeg will be a very polarizing place to call home for players. Either you love the small town feel and crazy crowds or you don't. IMO, that's much better than being a middle-of-the-road city in every respect. I get the impression that many of the visiting players have been in awe of the atmosphere at the MTS Centre and I assume at least some would love to play in that 42 times per year. It will be interesting to see how July 1st goes.
One thing I've often thought is that the "Winnipeg = Desirable?" meme will work itself out in the right way almost by default.

At the end of the day, I think the players that will be interested in playing here will be the type of players we want for the type of team TNSE wants to build -- blue-collar, team-oriented players, prairie boys, guys that see an opportunity to carve out a niche for themselves in a stable spot.

We won't get Ovechkin-types (of any skill level -- I'm talking personality), but I'm fine with that. We don't need a superstar to have a successful team, on and off the ice.

The success of the team and the quality of the organization will play a role too -- I do believe we have one of the better hockey ownership and management groups in the league and our GM is widely respected in the league. As word spreads about that I suspect you'll see some FAs looking at their options and thinking -- "Well, Winnipeg has its s*** together. Let's do it."

Old
01-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Stump

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahdupah View Post
If I was 25 I would not pick Winnipeg to play hockey, but I also wouldn't pick Edmonton, Ottawa, Buffalo, Columbus, Nashville ......

Winnipeg or NYC? NYC easy choice. Have you need to NYC? Awesome city. Montreal? Awesome city. Vancouver is aight too, Chicago as well. After that they all start to become the same really. Winnipeg has always been about perception. We aren't the Winnipeg of old. If this city can maintain the crowds and atmosphere and start winning, we'll be fine. Not everyone can play in those prime markets.

I've been to NYC, and I loved it. However, I know many, many people who absolutely hated it. I've never heard a friend say a bad thing about Nashville though, so...

Point is, there will be players that choose a Winnipeg, Edmonton, Ottawa, etc over a place like NYC and Montreal. Their reasons for doing so will be varied.

Old
01-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump View Post
I've been to NYC, and I loved it. However, I know many, many people who absolutely hated it. I've never heard a friend say a bad thing about Nashville though, so...

Point is, there will be players that choose a Winnipeg, Edmonton, Ottawa, etc over a place like NYC and Montreal. Their reasons for doing so will be varied.
Your avatar is brilliant.

I love it.

Old
01-06-2012, 01:26 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by supahdupah View Post

I hate NYC. I mean really really hate it. People are jackasses, too crowded, hard to get around, too crowded, smog, etc. My least favourite city in NA. Honestly.

Seriously, ignoring everything my order probably goes Boston, San Jose, Chicago, Montreal if I had to choose NHL cities to play in ignoring anything on the hockey side. Of course no player in his right mind ignores the hockey side. IMO, the city makes little difference, and honestly if I had a family to think of, WPG is very high on my list anyways.

Old
01-06-2012, 01:27 PM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:

Bogo likes country music and big belt buckles - maybe Nashville is a place he'd enjoy playing.

Now, for players who like cold winters and panhandlers...

Old
01-06-2012, 01:46 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Bogo likes country music and big belt buckles - maybe Nashville is a place he'd enjoy playing.

Let me guess: Edmonton?

Old
01-06-2012, 02:01 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:

My vote for avatar of the year!

Quote:
Your avatar is brilliant.

I love it.
agreed x100000

Old
01-06-2012, 02:05 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post

Bogosian and Winnipeg are a match made in heaven. IMHO he will be with us long term and you can take that to the bank.

Old
01-06-2012, 02:06 PM
angrymnky

Quote:
I hate NYC. I mean really really hate it. People are jackasses, too crowded, hard to get around, too crowded, smog, etc. My least favourite city in NA.
Thought it was really easy getting around on the subway. San Franciso I found a little tough getting around quickly. I'm there with you on the crowded part though. On one trip it was so shoulder to shoulder I wanted to flip out and start swinging my arms just to get myself some personal space.

Old
01-06-2012, 02:10 PM
supahdupah
Registered Boozer

Quote:
I hate NYC. I mean really really hate it. People are jackasses, too crowded, hard to get around, too crowded, smog, etc. My least favourite city in NA. Honestly.

Seriously, ignoring everything my order probably goes Boston, San Jose, Chicago, Montreal if I had to choose NHL cities to play in ignoring anything on the hockey side. Of course no player in his right mind ignores the hockey side. IMO, the city makes little difference, and honestly if I had a family to think of, WPG is very high on my list anyways.
NYC is a different place when you have millions of dollars in your 20's. Of course not everyone will want to play there. I know i would, but I love big cities. I can't honestly say why I am still in Winnipeg

Closed Thread