HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winter Classic / HBO 24/7 Part 2

Old
01-06-2012, 01:09 PM
jhnyr

vCash: 500
This series was amazing. Simply ****ing amazing. No other word for it.

We've all loved seeing shows that give us a glimpse behind the curtain of the Rangers, but this was unprecedented (well, besides last year's 24/7 of course).

It was great to see the players up close and personal. It was even better to see and HEAR the stuff that happens on the ice. I would gladly pay for pay-per-view games, if they left the players' mics open.

The Rangers came off like gentlemen in the Classic. While the Flyers game off like whiny little twerps. They chirp almost as much as their neanderthal fans. I was glad at first to see the refs were mic'd, but disappointed we didn't get to hear any of the collusion that was going on at the end to force overtime. And no, that's not being bitter or what not -- that's what happened, and we all know it. Maybe someone on the HBO crew will leak out some of that audio/footage at some point.

Torts rose up several notches in my book. I hated him for the way Avery was being handled, but I'll eat crow -- the way he talked about how he made his decision, it's hard to argue with him. Hopefully Aves will get another chance soon. But Torts' stock definitely rose with me. I don't think there's another coach out there that fits this team right now. Sure the speeches sound similar, but it's obviously working. And the Rangers know what's at stake anyway.

I also loved seeing how close and comical they were with each other. Laughing and having fun when the time is right. You can tell they're bonding well together, and that's what Mess and Gravy have always said about the '94 team -- they were very close with each other.

All in all, I would love to see MSG or someone competent enough to continue some form of this behind-the-scenes chronicle of the team. I'm sure it would be a huge distraction. I wonder if there's a way to be less invasive. Hopefully someone comes up with a way, and we get to see more.

Well done, HBO. And well done, Rangers.

jhnyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 01:28 PM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

Hartnell is a ****ing ******* and needs to shut his mouth.

I was ****ing blown away by how excellent 24/7 was, the closing sequence, speech, and music was absolutely perfect.

Last edited by charlie460: 01-06-2012 at 01:38 PM.
charlie460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 01:40 PM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie460 View Post

I was ****ing blown away by how excellent 24/7 was, the closing sequence, speech, and music was absolutely perfect.
Freakin' crybaby, cross check and run away...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 01:45 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie460 View Post

Surprised the opposing players don't refer to him as Carrot Top on the ice...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 02:15 PM
JanErixon20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Maybe we're being manipulated by the wonderful editing HBO did, but, you see the contrast between the two teams. The Rangers reveal themselves to be a very mature club considering their youthful status, and with Torts, it was about remembering "to play our game, and what we need to do to be successful". Whereas, Laviolette sometimes comes off as the cliched, "go kick some ass" type of coach, and you didn't get the sense of unity from the Flyers that you did from the Rangers. Again, it could be the story HBO wanted to tell, but, the discussion about the "Ansimov salute" sort highlighted the difference between the two teams in my mind. It's very easy as a Ranger fan, after watching this series, to come away with a very high opinion of this team, from the head coach right on down.
I agree with this, and maybe it's because I'm a NYR fan....but something seemed "off" about the Flyers that I couldn't put my finger on. There is a difference between the teams, but again, I'm a Ranger fan and might be seeing it that way.

JanErixon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 02:32 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanErixon20 View Post
I agree with this, and maybe it's because I'm a NYR fan....but something seemed "off" about the Flyers that I couldn't put my finger on. There is a difference between the teams, but again, I'm a Ranger fan and might be seeing it that way.
I agree and think it has to do with Carter and Richards being shipped off and their "new" captain being sidelined. You don't have that much turnover without some lingering effects.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 02:34 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Really liked the penalty shot sequence. Great editing.

24/7 is something else. Too bad it's only 4 episodes.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 02:42 PM
Occidentalist
Beernerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanErixon20 View Post
Maybe it's not fan bias though. I mean, since the 70's, the Flyer identity has been bullies. They proudly wore, and still proudly wear, the moniker "Broad Street Bullies". A team identity that says we win through fighting and dirty play rather than superior skill and sportsmanlike conduct. The fans have nurtured that and are actually proud that their team identity is that of Goons On Ice. Customer demand is always obliged and the team puts a product on the ice that comports with what the fans want. It's a South Philly mentality that says, "We may not look prettier than you, we may not be smarter than you, we may not be as skilled as you, but we'll punch you in your face and jab a stick in your ribs." The Flyer and South Philly identity are virtually indistinguishable and thus perpetuates. Think about it...did you ever, have you ever, seen a Flyer team that doesn't fit this description?

Of course, I could be way off base here.

Occidentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Dustin Peener
HF Top 30

vCash: 0
I ****ing hate Hartnell, ****ing POS, saying he wanted Hagelin if there was a fight, the smallest Ranger on the ice. What a ****ing coward

Dustin Peener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 02:55 PM
blueshirt4lyfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 Problems View Post
I ****ing hate Hartnell, ****ing POS, saying he wanted Hagelin if there was a fight, the smallest Ranger on the ice. What a ****ing coward
that was Giroux lol, which made sense since i'm guessing giroux isnt much of a fighter

blueshirt4lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Dustin Peener
HF Top 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshirt4lyfe View Post
that was Giroux lol, which made sense since i'm guessing giroux isnt much of a fighter
My bad, it sounded like Hartnell, and conspiring to fight is the sorta thing he would say

Old
01-06-2012, 03:03 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Surprised the opposing players don't refer to him as Carrot Top on the ice...
Every time I see Hartnell I think of Sideshow Bob from the Simpsons.

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 03:14 PM
KRM

Great series, just watched the final episode, ****ing love this team.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 03:36 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
It sounded like that were going to do the Anisimov shot gun celebration simultaneously.

One Flyer was like 'I got number 62', another flyer had Lundqvist and one had another Ranger, Boyle I think.

Did they not factor in, that they would get called for unsportsmanlike penalty?
No, they were talking about the goal scorer doing it, and then one of them said "Then we're gonna have a fight" and then they started pairing off.

Giroux is such a man asking everyone to let him have the smallest guy on the ice.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 03:37 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

Busy uploading it now!!!

Amazing Kreiderman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 03:37 PM
clmetsfan

Removed

Last edited by clmetsfan: 01-06-2012 at 03:43 PM.
clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occidentalist View Post
Maybe it's not fan bias though. I mean, since the 70's, the Flyer identity has been bullies. They proudly wore, and still proudly wear, the moniker "Broad Street Bullies". A team identity that says we win through fighting and dirty play rather than superior skill and sportsmanlike conduct. The fans have nurtured that and are actually proud that their team identity is that of Goons On Ice. Customer demand is always obliged and the team puts a product on the ice that comports with what the fans want. It's a South Philly mentality that says, "We may not look prettier than you, we may not be smarter than you, we may not be as skilled as you, but we'll punch you in your face and jab a stick in your ribs." The Flyer and South Philly identity are virtually indistinguishable and thus perpetuates. Think about it...did you ever, have you ever, seen a Flyer team that doesn't fit this description?

Of course, I could be way off base here.
Not really correct.

1973-1974 Flyers: 5th in goals for (16 teams), 1st in goals allowed
1974-1975 Flyers: 6th in goals for (18 teams), 1st in goals allowed

They were dirty and mean, but they were also a very skilled team with players like Clarke, MacLeish, Leach, and Barber.

But Torts was my favorite part about the Rangers in the show. Disliked him before the show, but I gained a lot of respect for him after.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 04:30 PM
haveandare

I thought Giroux came off very likable until the last episode. He, like the rest of the Flyers team IMO, showed that when the momentum swings against them they get offensive and emotional - and not with good results in most cases. Any time they're backed into a corner on the ice, especially Giroux, they start running their mouths and trying to be tough guys instead of focusing on hockey. Two examples struck me from the WC itself, first they're talking about Rupp's salute ant they say something like, "what is that his second goal ever?" and they talk some more trash to him and then he scores again and ties to game. Second, they talk about doing the AA celebration and who they're going to fight (Giroux picking the smallest guy, also a rookie who has never fought before) and what happens? They get scored against and lose.

Maybe they should focus on scoring goals and preventing goals scored against them instead of trying to look like the toughest losers. I mean, as a NYR fan, I'll gladly let them have that title, but for their own sake, you'd think they'd start to grow up and focus on winning.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

I found a torrent which includes everything

- 4 Episodes of HBO 24/7 in 720p
- The Alumni game in 720p
- The Winter Classic game in 720p (CBC feed)

I had to zip it. If this is not allowed, please feel free to delete it and I will email it to people who want it
Attached Files
File Type: zip Winter Classic full package.zip‎ (68.3 KB, 44 views)

Old
01-06-2012, 04:36 PM
McMonster

this series reminded me why I love Jaromir Jagr. He knows he's a ****ing legend yet he doesn't come off as arrogant or cocky at all. It'll be a sad day when he finally calls it quits. One of the greatest ever.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 04:38 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I was cracking up after that. I guess scoring 2 goals on Hank got to their heads.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Dustin Peener
HF Top 30

Lol you never organise a goal celebration its like the biggest jynx

I lined a game once and before the players came on the announcer was telling the crowd what to do after the home team scored, he was going to say the player's first name and the crowd would yell the last name. The home team got shut out that game, and it was the first shutout in the league ever for the away team's goalie

Old
01-06-2012, 04:41 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

That was so saaad!

"I will do the Anisimov"
"Yeah, I will do the Hagelin, can you do the Girardi?"

Man, someone is copying one of the best NHL players of the last 2 decades and they try to get back at him by copying Anisimov, Hagelin and Girardi? Hahahaha

Old
01-06-2012, 07:58 PM
92hatchattack

Ezequiel, Has there been an individual upload of episode 4?

92hatchattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:20 PM
gluvhand

Gotta give it to Dubinsky. He doesn't care how many cameras are on him. When he's got a nugget in his nose he's gonna get it. At the team meeting where the projector crapped out he was digging for gold.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote